Nick Longhi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Nick Longhi

http://fenwayrefugees.com/nick-longhi-reportedly-agrees-to-deal-with-red-sox/

Any one else see this? I haven't seen it reported anywhere else. Seems like a good signing if it's legit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: Nick Longhi

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

Any one else see this? I haven't seen it reported anywhere else. Seems like a good signing if it's legit.

He's a good sign but he hit .290 last year in HS, with very little pop. Solid defender at 1st and good potential. Only 17. Maybe he ends up a good prospect but he probably doesn't project to be great. I'm hopeful but he was drafted around round 30. Seems like a good kid and we will all be rooting for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

He's a good sign but he hit .290 last year in HS, with very little pop. Solid defender at 1st and good potential. Only 17. Maybe he ends up a good prospect but he probably doesn't project to be great. I'm hopeful but he was drafted around round 30. Seems like a good kid and we will all be rooting for him.

Big power hitter and very young. If he grows he will hit HR's in bunches. He has very good plate awareness and he was playing against older kids. In any case he was a surprise signing as coming into this year he was the # 9th ranked High schooler by Baseball America.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wanna toot my wm horn and say I predicted this signing two days ago.  However to be fair he was tweeting he was taking a physical up in Boston earlier this week also; so that was a dead give away.

Im actually confused by what this kid may be.  Don't be surprise by the round he was drafted in, generally speaking (at least the last two years) more talent has been drafted between rounds 20-30 than in 10-20. Mostly due to the new CBA spending restrictions which is a whole other conversation.  Anyways he wa considered on thone highly talented prospects that slipped in the draft due to signability concers.  So he was a chump, he was a highly regarded prospect but he did only bat .290 in HIGHSCHOOL!!!! I'm wondering if that was a typo.  That or he just scouts REALLY well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nothing jumps out at you with this kid. Thats said, hes only 17. Maybe he can learn to hit. sub .300 in HS is terrible.

Sox should sign their 4th round pick Myles Smith. A very solid pitching prospect

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/11/red-sox-expected-to-sign-fourth-rounder-myles-smith-not-expected-to-sign-ryan-boldt-or-jordan-sheffield/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Nothing jumps out at you with this kid. Thats said, hes only 17. Maybe he can learn to hit. sub .300 in HS is terrible.

Sox should sign their 4th round pick Myles Smith. A very solid pitching prospect

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/11/red-sox-expected-to-sign-fourth-rounder-myles-smith-not-expected-to-sign-ryan-boldt-or-jordan-sheffield/

I've heard he's close.  They had a pre draft agreement and something happened.  There is a rumors that he backed out and wanted more money.  The sox don't want I set a dangerous precedent and are likely sticking to their guns.  But with Longhi signed I suspect Sheffield is out of the picture.  I hope they sign zamerelli next.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I've heard he's close.  They had a pre draft agreement and something happened.  There is a rumors that he backed out and wanted more money.  The sox don't want I set a dangerous precedent and are likely sticking to their guns.  But with Longhi signed I suspect Sheffield is out of the picture.  I hope they sign zamerelli next.

Sheffield has already started classes I think. Hes not signing and Ryan Boldt probably isnt either.

I like a lot of the later round kids we got.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I've seen this kid play many times down here in swfl. Good ball player, buttg wouldn't say that he is much better than a lot of kids down here that don't get drafted. He used to be a highly rated pitcher and got hurt, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they convert him back to a pitcher. He was a 90/91 kid as a soph/jr. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

I've seen this kid play many times down here in swfl. Good ball player, buttg wouldn't say that he is much better than a lot of kids down here that don't get drafted. He used to be a highly rated pitcher and got hurt, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they convert him back to a pitcher. He was a 90/91 kid as a soph/jr. 

I believe hes pitching FT already. Coach at Lee said his FB sits at aboput 94-96 and can hit 97-98. Hes raw and hasnt been pitching FT for long, so theres a lot of work ahead. The skill is there. Have to revisit in a couple years, but I like the signing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Longhi was the only player outside the top 10 to sign for more then 200 grand. The Red Sox left about 900 on the table while drafting 3 players in the top 10 for just 10 thousand, so that they could have the 900 thousand to spend. I don't think the word inefficient is strong enough. Stupid probably fits better. And disappointing for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWF Baseball Fan. Show SWF Baseball Fan's posts

Actually batted .259 reg season had 5 groundball hits in the finals,0 hr 14 rbi's,slow runner and led team in k's last 2 years.$440k is crazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWF Baseball Fan. Show SWF Baseball Fan's posts

Did not get hurt,could not throw strikes,had lowest everyday player batting avg on the team.259 and led team in K's last 2 years,also had 0 homeruns,dont know where this big power comes from.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to SWF Baseball Fan's comment:

Actually batted .259 reg season had 5 groundball hits in the finals,0 hr 14 rbi's,slow runner and led team in k's last 2 years.$440k is crazy.

Lol...yeah, it defies logic. He's a pretty good high school player but nothing special in regards to Florida kids. Nothing IMO stood out ( like it did with Voglebach, Boyd, bothering,or Casey Kelly ) good player...but they liked something in him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWF Baseball Fan. Show SWF Baseball Fan's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:No power,0 homeruns last year,14 rbi's hit .259.Good Luck BoSox.$440 k .LOL

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Big power hitter and very young. If he grows he will hit HR's in bunches. He has very good plate awareness and he was playing against older kids. In any case he was a surprise signing as coming into this year he was the # 9th ranked High schooler by Baseball America.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWF Baseball Fan. Show SWF Baseball Fan's posts

Teams were walking Rivera the #4 hitter to get to Longhi.I wish him luck,but he wasn't the best player on his team.

In response to SWF Baseball Fan's comment:

Lol...yeah, it defies logic. He's a pretty good high school player but nothing special in regards to Florida kids. Nothing IMO stood out ( like it did with Voglebach, Boyd, bothering,or Casey Kelly ) good player...but they liked something in him...

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Longhi was the only player outside the top 10 to sign for more then 200 grand. The Red Sox left about 900 on the table while drafting 3 players in the top 10 for just 10 thousand, so that they could have the 900 thousand to spend. I don't think the word inefficient is strong enough. Stupid probably fits better. And disappointing for sure.

That's a strategy they use to save money and ultimately they signed Ball and Denney for less than expected.   Don't buy into they "have" to spend all their money.  Yes it would have been nice but all in all they did very nice in this draft with perhaps much much more upside entering the system compared to last year.  I would have been happier if they signed a few more guys....but I like this haul.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

That's a strategy they use to save money and ultimately they signed Ball and Denney for less than expected.   Don't buy into they "have" to spend all their money.  Yes it would have been nice but all in all they did very nice in this draft with perhaps much much more upside entering the system compared to last year.  I would have been happier if they signed a few more guys....but I like this haul.

I think they had that money in the hopes that Sheffield and or Boldt signed. When they didnt, they were left with it. They signed their top 10 rounds of draft picks...Thats pretty good if you ask me. This years draft as it stands as far as potential talent and signing kids is a success...

Still sctratching my head on the Longhi one thoughUndecided

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I also think the sox had a good idea Sheffield and Boldt wouldn't sign.  (that's why they slipped so far). But you try to save some money and take some chances.  All in all they got a lot of young talent; something like 13 high schoolers signed.  Even when they hosted Boldt I may have been as much abut building a relationship and perhaps being looked at in 3 years down the road as a draftee.  Also signing a lot of these signability guys kept them away from other teams.

Sections
Shortcuts