Nick Swisher vs Aroldis Chapman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Nick Swisher vs Aroldis Chapman

Interesting meeting between these two today at GABP. Ninth inning, 4-2 Reds, Chapman begins by striking out Asdrubal Cabrera. Swisher comes up, and the first pitch is 100 mph about three feet over Swisher's head and all the way to the screen. Swisher never took the bat off his shoulder, did not flinch, just looked out at Chapman like "really?". The second pitch, another 100 mph seed right at his chin, and Swisher snaps back and ducks out of the way. When he straightens up, he backs out of the box, takes a step forward, looks out at Chapman, and while shaking his head "no" says "Hey bro, Don't do that! Dont do that!". The 2-0 is a fastball down the middle, strike 1. On the 2-1 pitch Swisher pulls a 99 mph fastball, and hits an absolute rocket that is caught against the wall in deep left field. Had he gotten just a little more lift, hed have hit it out of the park. Its nothing against Chapman, his control has been a little sketchy lately, and he certainly wasnt throwing at Swisher, but what I saw today was very impressive from Swisher. My level of respect for him went up exponentially this afternoon. Nick Swisher is one tough son of a gun, and part of me is sorry the Sox didnt pick him up. 

One other side note from that game that Sox fans might find interesting. Yesterday Francona elected to bring in a RH to pitch to Ellsbury with the bases loaded in the ninth. We know the result there. Today, in a 2-2 game in the 8th and Shin Soo Choo at third with one out, Francona elected to pitch to Joey Votto with a lefty and Votto homered to left. I couldnt beleive he pitched to a guy that might be the best left handed hitter in baseball and not set up the double play in a tie game with first and second open. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Nick Swisher vs Aroldis Chapman

I understand the reasoning for Francona bringing in a RHP vs Ellsbury. Already used Hill and is rookie LHP just threw 3+IP a couple days before that. Ells has good splits anyway. Smith did well against them last time out.

Now, pitching to Votto and not electing to set up a DP is very questionable. Have to know the whole situation though.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I understand the reasoning for Francona bringing in a RHP vs Ellsbury. Already used Hill and is rookie LHP just threw 3+IP a couple days before that. Ells has good splits anyway. Smith did well against them last time out.

Now, pitching to Votto and not electing to set up a DP is very questionable. Have to know the whole situation though.

Francona is a terrible in-game tactician. His mistakes in Boston are legendary and I am glad he is not here any more.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Funny that everyone is commenting on Francona here, when Swisher's matching brass set is what the OP is mostly about. LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Funny that everyone is commenting on Francona here, when Swisher's matching brass set is what the OP is mostly about. LOL

Always liked Swisher. He was annoying as a Yankee , but I would have preferred him over Carp or Napoli. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Could be because Phillips was on deck, a right handed batter thats leading MLB in RBI. Votto and Phillips are edging into Papi/Manny regions as a one two punch this year. But still, you have to walk Votto there just to set up the dp. Could also be that he didnt want to take his LH down and use a RH juat to pitch to Phillips because after Phillips is the left handed batting Jay Bruce, who is also hot and hitting for a lot of power lately. So I get that the Reds lineup put Tito in a very tough spot there, aggravated by the fact that despite Cozart showing bunt on the first pitch with Choo at first, the catcher passed balled him to second from whence Cozart bunted him to third. So that was the whole situation, and it makes a little more sense when you look at it like that, however, the perentages still say to walk Votto there. Although with Votto, Phillips, and Bruce, lets face it, that run's gonna score. Poor Tito....

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Could be because Phillips was on deck, a right handed batter thats leading MLB in RBI. Votto and Phillips are edging into Papi/Manny regions as a one two punch this year. But still, you have to walk Votto there just to set up the dp. Could also be that he didnt want to take his LH down and use a RH juat to pitch to Phillips because after Phillips is the left handed batting Jay Bruce, who is also hot and hitting for a lot of power lately. So I get that the Reds lineup put Tito in a very tough spot there, aggravated by the fact that despite Cozart showing bunt on the first pitch with Choo at first, the catcher passed balled him to second from whence Cozart bunted him to third. So that was the whole situation, and it makes a little more sense when you look at it like that, however, the perentages still say to walk Votto there. Although with Votto, Phillips, and Bruce, lets face it, that run's gonna score. Poor Tito....

yeah, its a damned if you do and damned if you dont kinda situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

you did mention 'cona pitching to votto.

Haha, yeah, I figured thats how it would play out on here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And Chapman/ Swisher exchanged words as Swisher crossed in front of the mound to go back to the Cleveland dugout. I dont know what was said, but Id sure love to know.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Always liked Swisher. He was annoying as a Yankee , but I would have preferred him over Carp or Napoli. 

aren't carp and napoli doing quite well in boston? maybe i'm wrong. as for swisher, he's annoying, period. glad he's not here.

He can be, and as a general rule in real life hes the kind of guy I usually steer clear from. The "always smiling, always ready with the joke" type get on my nerves. But what I saw today was just flat cool. You had to be watching it, it was impressive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I'd have liked to have seen Swisher in a Sox uni this year, but there was no way they were going to give him the four years he got from Cleveland.   Just saw the replay on BBTN.  That was indeed impressive that he hung tough in there.  The guy does have cajones.