NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?

Obviously two of the best teams in baseball are the Red Sox and the Phillies, but only one will survive in the end. The NL has Atlanta, San Francisco, and the Phillies competing for the pennant. In the AL it is Texas, Yankees, and Red Sox.

My guess is that the Red Sox can outlast the pitching in NY and Texas. The irony of how fans have viewed the theory of pitching versus hitting has changed 180 degrees, but in the end it does come down to pitching and defense, the AL does not have enough of both to survive.

So on to the NL, pitching is a strength and home field advantage. SF and Atlanta are good teams, any of the above could very well win against the AL teams. But the winner is Philly, Halladay, Hamels, Lee, Oswalt or Worley all are pitchers who can go deep.

Predictions: Red Sox vs Phillies
    Winner: Phillies, good pitching beats hitting, and Lackey isn't considered "good pitching".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?

Honestly, I thought the Phillies were the team to beat all along. Their pitching is unworldly, and the addition of Pence gives them an extra bat. I just can't see us or anybody beating them (though if it's us from the AL, obviously I hope I'm wrong).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

it won't be determined by leagues, it will come down to health and the hottest team going in

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?:
    Honestly, I thought the Phillies were the team to beat all along. Their pitching is unworldly, and the addition of Pence gives them an extra bat. I just can't see us or anybody beating them (though if it's us from the AL, obviously I hope I'm wrong).
    Posted by LloydDobler

Addition of Pence and lack of additions in the AL race may have tilted the balance.

I honestly think the most entertaining matchup would be the Red Sox due to the depth of good hitting, but their lack of pitching and inconsistency has to be a huge issue at this point. Bedard is not the answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

it won't be determined by leagues, it will come down to health and the hottest team going in
    Posted by J-BAY

Pitching, pitching, pitching. The quality of pitching at this point favors the NL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Addition of Pence and lack of additions in the AL race may have tilted the balance. I honestly think the most entertaining matchup would be the Red Sox due to the depth of good hitting, but their lack of pitching and inconsistency has to be a huge issue at this point. Bedard is not the answer.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

It would be interesting indeed, and Phils would obviously be the favorites.  But, you silly kids are always putting the cart before the horse. The Sox have their work cut out for them in their division, never mind the playoffs.  lotta good teams.  And, whilst you and 99% of the baseball insiders/media have already annointed the Phillies NL champs, they still gotta go through SF.  Phils rotation is awesome.  But, maybe not as awesome as ....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?:
    Obviously two of the best teams in baseball are the Red Sox and the Phillies, but only one will survive in the end. The NL has Atlanta, San Francisco, and the Phillies competing for the pennant. In the AL it is Texas, Yankees, and Red Sox. My guess is that the Red Sox can outlast the pitching in NY and Texas. The irony of how fans have viewed the theory of pitching versus hitting has changed 180 degrees, but in the end it does come down to pitching and defense, the AL does not have enough of both to survive. So on to the NL, pitching is a strength and home field advantage. SF and Atlanta are good teams, any of the above could very well win against the AL teams. But the winner is Philly, Halladay, Hamels, Lee, Oswalt or Worley all are pitchers who can go deep. Predictions: Red Sox vs Phillies Winner: Phillies, good pitching beats hitting, and Lackey isn't considered "good pitching".
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

what's so obvious about that?
    the SOX have two starting pitchers and 3 days of bad rain.
    based on that, if the SOX even qualify for the WS, fans should be ecstatic.
    in any case, i do agree that the PHILLIES win the WS no matter who they play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Pitching, pitching, pitching. The quality of pitching at this point favors the NL.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

maybe not so much against a Hot AL team. It's who's playing best as a team,IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Red Sox have been winning with smoke and mirrors. For the life of me, I cannot figure how they have been able to still be a top team in MLB while having such a suspect staff and guys like JD AA-battery Drew having such a bad year.

NYY may be the most overrated squad in MLB but they will make the playoffs just due to revenue. Beware of Texas, but again, not a team that really instill any fear.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : maybe not so much against a Hot AL team. It's who's playing best as a team IMO
    Posted by J-BAY

Disagree, in MLB being a "hot team" does not have much validity. Agree with the above comments in regards to health, usually health in the pitching staff. But it all starts and end on being able to get the rotations in order.

Teams can win a round or two on good pitching and a couple players getting hot, much like TB in 2008. But it is not like the NHL/NFL where a #6 seed can get on a roll late in the season and make a run.

I also expand on the pitching theory, also team defense. Minimize the opportunities you give the opposing team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

The Phillies should worry about beating the Giants first before talking World Series, they just lost 2 out of 3 at home to San Fran. then throw in last year's National League Championship Series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Pitching, pitching, pitching. The quality of pitching at this point favors the NL.

Posted by PhllyPhn1967

And SF has the best over all staff front to back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Rotation in the SF series: Worley(W), Hamels(L, 2-1), Kendrick vs Lincecum(L, 4-1).

Agree SF has the pitching to compete, but they are 16 out of 16 teams in team offense with Philly 7 out of 16, Philadpelphia and SF are #1,2 in team pitching, and Philadelphia is #1 in team defense with SF at #13 out of 16.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Had the Red Sox traded for Kemp they would beat the Phillies, see 2009 Yankees and 2004 Red Sox.

As it is, Phillies are slight favorites. One injury changes that. Red Sox do well against Halladay, and Beckett and Lester aren't slouches. It only takes two hot pitchers to take out the Phillies, with a grossly inferior offense. Pence is an overrated pretzel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?:
    Obviously two of the best teams in baseball are the Red Sox and the Phillies, but only one will survive in the end. The NL has Atlanta, San Francisco, and the Phillies competing for the pennant. In the AL it is Texas, Yankees, and Red Sox. My guess is that the Red Sox can outlast the pitching in NY and Texas. The irony of how fans have viewed the theory of pitching versus hitting has changed 180 degrees, but in the end it does come down to pitching and defense, the AL does not have enough of both to survive. So on to the NL, pitching is a strength and home field advantage. SF and Atlanta are good teams, any of the above could very well win against the AL teams. But the winner is Philly, Halladay, Hamels, Lee, Oswalt or Worley all are pitchers who can go deep. Predictions: Red Sox vs Phillies Winner: Phillies, good pitching beats hitting, and Lackey isn't considered "good pitching".
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

I agree the addition of Pence makes the Phillies tougher, but they have a weak bullpen(especially with the injuries)....that could make it tougher for them to get past SF. But with that Starting Staff, they will probably overcome that....it should be a great post Season in both leagues

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pitching is very often the most important factor in the Series. Looks like the Phils and Giants have the best pitching. Braves have a great bullpen.  The A.L. champs will have to bring their best at-bats to be able to win it.  A.L. is still the stronger league overall , but the N.L. has narrowed the gap considerably.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

dgalehouse, can you explain to harness that the "Retirement League" as he refers to it is alive and well? thank you

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Red Sox have been winning with smoke and mirrors. For the life of me, I cannot figure how they have been able to still be a top team in MLB while having such a suspect staff and guys like JD AA-battery Drew having such a bad year. NYY may be the most overrated squad in MLB but they will make the playoffs just due to revenue. Beware of Texas, but again, not a team that really instill any fear.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

Huh??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

Rotation in the SF series: Worley(W), Hamels(L, 2-1), Kendrick vs Lincecum(L, 4-1). Agree SF has the pitching to compete, but they are 16 out of 16 teams in team offense with Philly 7 out of 16, Philadpelphia and SF are #1,2 in team pitching, and Philadelphia is #1 in team defense with SF at #13 out of 16.

Posted by PhllyPhn1967

LOL....like a 3 games series in July proves it all.

And last I checked, philly had a pretty good advantage in offense last year over sf....how'd that work out?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Had the Red Sox traded for Kemp they would beat the Phillies, see 2009 Yankees and 2004 Red Sox. As it is, Phillies are slight favorites. One injury changes that. Red Sox do well against Halladay, and Beckett and Lester aren't slouches. It only takes two hot pitchers to take out the Phillies, with a grossly inferior offense. Pence is an overrated pretzel.
    Posted by softylaw

Pence is a perfect acquisition, very good defensive RF who hits for average and with RISP. Gives Howard the ability to get back to seeing pitches, the 1,2,3 in the lineup is pretty damn solid with speed and ability to hit for some power.

1. Rollins                1. Ellsbury
    2. Victorino             2. Pedroia
    3. Utley                  3. Gonzalez
    4. Howard               4. Youkalis
    5. Pence                 5. Ortiz
    6. Ibanez                 6. Crawford
    7. Palanco                7. Saltalamacchia
    8. Ruiz                     8. Reddick
    9. Mayberry/Francisco/Martinez/Gload/Valdez    9. Scutaro

1. Halladay            1. Beckett
    2. Lee                   2. Lester
    3. Hamels               3. Lackey
    4. Oswalt or Worley  4. Wakefield or Bedard

Looking at the rosters the only glaring difference is how much the pitching drops off after #1/2, plus Lee and Halladay are almost give to go 8+ innings, Hamels and Oswalt are horses too. Beckett is not much of a horse these days, so the only pitcher on the roster who potentially could carry the bp is Lester while Lackey, Bedard, and Wakefield could get yanked in 3 innings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Huh??
    Posted by LloydDobler

Drew's first return to Philly he was met with a number of batteries being thrown at him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Philly will be a tough team to beat, but they haven't won anything yet.  Neither have the Red Sox, so we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves.  But according to a study in "By The Numbers" the 3 most common factors in successful playoff teams are:

1.  A great closer

2.  Pitchers who can strike out hitters

3.  Great defense

I honestly haven't followed the Phillies BP closely enough to know about their relievers, but I think the Bard/Paps duo is one of the best in baseball, ERA notwithstanding.

Not many rotations can match the Phillies rotation, but the Red Sox have 2 pretty good strike out pitchers in Beckett and Lester.

The Phillies defense is not that good.  The Red Sox defense is best in the league.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

Not to mention that philadelphia's most famous athlete is a fictitious movie character.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Drew's first return to Philly he was met with a number of batteries being thrown at him.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

eveready or duracell?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Drew's first return to Philly he was met with a number of batteries being thrown at him.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967

Ah!! I had forgotten that!

Sections
Shortcuts