NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?

Despite the series score, the Sox played the Phillies reasonably well.  Beckett was locked in against them in game one, and lost the duel to Halladay.  That was a tight game.  Too bad they weren't played in Fenway.

But it's going to be hard for any team in the game to beat Philadelphia 4 times.  Maybe impossible.  San Francisco, too. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?:
    [QUOTE]Had the Red Sox traded for Kemp they would beat the Phillies, see 2009 Yankees and 2004 Red Sox. As it is, Phillies are slight favorites. One injury changes that. Red Sox do well against Halladay, and Beckett and Lester aren't slouches. It only takes two hot pitchers to take out the Phillies, with a grossly inferior offense. Pence is an overrated pretzel.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

i'd rather have the "overrated pretzel" than the underachieving jd crawford.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Pence is a perfect acquisition, very good defensive RF who hits for average and with RISP. Gives Howard the ability to get back to seeing pitches, the 1,2,3 in the lineup is pretty damn solid with speed and ability to hit for some power. 1. Rollins                1. Ellsbury 2. Victorino             2. Pedroia 3. Utley                  3. Gonzalez 4. Howard               4. Youkalis 5. Pence                 5. Ortiz 6. Ibanez                 6. Crawford 7. Palanco                7. Saltalamacchia 8. Ruiz                     8. Reddick 9. Mayberry/Francisco/Martinez/Gload/Valdez    9. Scutaro 1. Halladay            1. Beckett 2. Lee                   2. Lester 3. Hamels               3. Lackey 4. Oswalt or Worley  4. Wakefield or Bedard Looking at the rosters the only glaring difference is how much the pitching drops off after #1/2, plus Lee and Halladay are almost give to go 8+ innings, Hamels and Oswalt are horses too. Beckett is not much of a horse these days, so the only pitcher on the roster who potentially could carry the bp is Lester while Lackey, Bedard, and Wakefield could get yanked in 3 innings.
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? Have you seen Beckett's season? Halladay and Lee might have an edge over him, but I'll take my chances with Beckett in the playoffs this year against anyone.

Overall I think the Phillies have an edge, especially if Oswalt is healthy. That said, I certainly think the Sox are capable of beating the Phils or anyone else in the postseason. I don't see a whole lot of seperation between Philly and Boston. What is more I think teams like Texas, SF, and Atlanta could wind up in the series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

People are saying we don't have the pitching but if you look up that stats Lackey, Beckett, Lester, and Bedard all have winning records against the Phillies. In fact Beckett has the worst ERA against them (might have something to do with his time in Florida). While Cole hamel hasn't lost to us but Halladay and Lee have losing records to us and we have never faced oswalt. I looked up all the stats yesterday and posted it on a thread but it got deleted so.... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Zack,
       I seem to remember us hitting Halladay pretty well at times before he left Toronto, even in years no one else could hit him. I'm worried a bit about our starters, but I don't see things as bleakly as some. We can still beat anyone. And I think that our bullpen will be huge for us in the playoffs. With Aceves/Albers in the pen I don't think Francona will leave Lackey/Wake/Bedard out there for too long if they aren't getting it done. Aceves could turn out to be particulalry important this postseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]Philly will be a tough team to beat, but they haven't won anything yet.  Neither have the Red Sox, so we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves.  But according to a study in "By The Numbers" the 3 most common factors in successful playoff teams are: 1.  A great closer 2.  Pitchers who can strike out hitters 3.  Great defense I honestly haven't followed the Phillies BP closely enough to know about their relievers, but I think the Bard/Paps duo is one of the best in baseball, ERA notwithstanding. Not many rotations can match the Phillies rotation, but the Red Sox have 2 pretty good strike out pitchers in Beckett and Lester. The Phillies defense is not that good.  The Red Sox defense is best in the league.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Phillies BP is second only to Atlanta, but again you have Halladay and Lee who are almost a lock to go 9 innings.

The Phillies bullpen combo of Antonio Bastardo and Ryan Madson (three home runs allowed in 78 innings), with a 1.31(8 saves) and a 1.86(19 saves) respectively. Stutes has been good, Kendrick will go to the bullpen as the setup guy for Bastardo if needed to eat up some innings.

Defensively the Phillies are second in the MLB(CWS are first) tied with a .988 fielding percentage, and 50 errors(compared to 48 for CWS). Red Sox are 3rd with a .987 fielding percentage, and 52 errors. The addition of Pence gives them a guy who I believe leads the NL in assists and is a very good defensive outfielder who will run through the wall to get a ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to NL or AL, Who wins the World Series?:
    [QUOTE]Obviously two of the best teams in baseball are the Red Sox and the Phillies, but only one will survive in the end. The NL has Atlanta, San Francisco, and the Phillies competing for the pennant. In the AL it is Texas, Yankees, and Red Sox. My guess is that the Red Sox can outlast the pitching in NY and Texas. The irony of how fans have viewed the theory of pitching versus hitting has changed 180 degrees, but in the end it does come down to pitching and defense, the AL does not have enough of both to survive. So on to the NL, pitching is a strength and home field advantage. SF and Atlanta are good teams, any of the above could very well win against the AL teams. But the winner is Philly, Halladay, Hamels, Lee, Oswalt or Worley all are pitchers who can go deep. Predictions: Red Sox vs Phillies Winner: Phillies, good pitching beats hitting, and Lackey isn't considered "good pitching".

It could all come be decided by a guy named Lackey or Bedard.  Lets not be too quick to rule out Texas, the Yanks and especially you guys the Giants.  Beltran and Cabrera know how to play in a big game and will only help.  Posey was a tough loss.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : It could all come be decided by a guy named Lackey or Bedard.  Lets not be too quick to rule out Texas, the Yanks and especially you guys the Giants.  Beltran and Cabrera know how to play in a big game and will only help.  Posey was a tough loss.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Your concern is, and should be, that relying on Lackey and Bedard is a tough pill to swallow. I think the Red Sox can make it on their offense, but when games get tight and pitching is the difference Francona is going to have to make some tough choices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : Phillies BP is second only to Atlanta, but again you have Halladay and Lee who are almost a lock to go 9 innings. The Phillies bullpen combo of Antonio Bastardo and Ryan Madson (three home runs allowed in 78 innings), with a 1.31(8 saves) and a 1.86(19 saves) respectively. Stutes has been good, Kendrick will go to the bullpen as the setup guy for Bastardo if needed to eat up some innings. Defensively the Phillies are second in the MLB(CWS are first) tied with a .988 fielding percentage, and 50 errors(compared to 48 for CWS). Red Sox are 3rd with a .987 fielding percentage, and 52 errors. The addition of Pence gives them a guy who I believe leads the NL in assists and is a very good defensive outfielder who will run through the wall to get a ball.

When you say that the Phillies BP is second only to Atlanta, what are you basing that on?

Halladay and Lee are very good at pitching deep into games, but I would hardly say they are almost a lock to go 9 innings.

As far as defense goes, the Phillies rank 11th in the NL in UZR, which is not perfect by any means, but is far better than fielding %, IMO.

In terms of DRS, the Phillies rank 2nd to last in the NL, ahead of only the Cubs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NL or AL, Who wins the World Series? : When you say that the Phillies BP is second only to Atlanta, what are you basing that on? Halladay and Lee are very good at pitching deep into games, but I would hardly say they are almost a lock to go 9 innings. As far as defense goes, the Phillies rank 11th in the NL in UZR, which is not perfect by any means, but is far better than fielding %, IMO. In terms of DRS, the Phillies rank 2nd to last in the NL, ahead of only the Cubs.

I think Texas made great trades and now has one of, if not the best pen in baseball.  They might scare me a hair more than the Yankees at this point if games come down to our pens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"I think Texas made great trades and now has one of, if not the best pen in baseball."

I agree they made some good moves Craze.  IMO, the Rangers have a very good team, offensively and defensively.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]"I think Texas made great trades and now has one of, if not the best pen in baseball." I agree they made some good moves Craze.  IMO, the Rangers have a very good team, offensively and defensively.

Nolan Ryan has done a great job.  Texas definately has a team that can beat the Sox or Yanks.  It should be one heck of a PS to watch Kimmi.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The rest of the regular season and the postseason should both be very fun and exciting to watch.  I really want the Red Sox to win it all, obviously, but as long as it's not the Yankees winning the WS, I will be able to handle the disappointment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Looking at the rosters the only glaring difference is how much the pitching drops off after #1/2

No, there is a glaring difference in offense. The Phillies don't measure up with the Red Sox. They have the edge after the 2nd pitcher, which makes them a slight favorite.

You are overconfident, and 2 months to go will determine who ends healthy and who is pitching well and playing the best baseball at year end.

Sections
Shortcuts