NL Roadtrip from Hell - thanks COMA!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

NL Roadtrip from Hell - thanks COMA!

usually one has to wait until July or August to watch our good guy manager undermine our season with his ineptness....however this year it is not his pitching changes/or lack therof in the later innings that has thrust us out of first place (see TB series last two years) it is his steadfast refusal to abandon the stupid l-r scheme when putting together lineups....

No need to beat a dead horse but Mac, Tek, and Cameron 5-7?????? What kind of manager consistently plays these failures regularly and places them in prime hitting positions????? A clueless or apathetic one no doubt.
    The inability to pinch hit or pull pitchers in a timely fashion (I guess that's only for NL managers)????
    The inability to get his team prepared to rout lesser teams like SD/Pitt????

Oh, and of course the rigorous spring training regimen will be paying us back in spades with its usual outcome of mass bodies on the DL for assorted sprains and muscle pulls (i.e. out of shape injuries).

This team has to prepare to win each day without help from its own manager - no one who has watched this interleague spell can dispute that...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Re: NL Roadtrip from Hell - thanks COMA!

In Response to NL Roadtrip from Hell - thanks COMA!:
    [QUOTE]usually one has to wait until July or August to watch our good guy manager undermine our season with his ineptness....however this year it is not his pitching changes/or lack therof in the later innings that has thrust us out of first place (see TB series last two years) it is his steadfast refusal to abandon the stupid l-r scheme when putting together lineups.... No need to beat a dead horse but Mac, Tek, and Cameron 5-7?????? What kind of manager consistently plays these failures regularly and places them in prime hitting positions????? A clueless or apathetic one no doubt. The inability to pinch hit or pull pitchers in a timely fashion (I guess that's only for NL managers)???? The inability to get his team prepared to rout lesser teams like SD/Pitt???? Oh, and of course the rigorous spring training regimen will be paying us back in spades with its usual outcome of mass bodies on the DL for assorted sprains and muscle pulls (i.e. out of shape injuries). This team has to prepare to win each day without help from its own manager - no one who has watched this interleague spell can dispute that...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you post this two weeks ago?
    Didn't we have the same manager then?
    "I hate the manager,...wah....wah..."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The easiest thing is to pin it on the manager.  Yes, they're having a bad run in interleague this year.  Now let's conveniently ignore that under the same manager the Red Sox went 13-5 in interleague last year, and 75-33 in interleague from 2005-2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

In Response to Re: NL Roadtrip from Hell - thanks COMA!:
    [QUOTE]The easiest thing is to pin it on the manager.  Yes, they're having a bad run in interleague this year.  Now let's conveniently ignore that under the same manager the Red Sox went 13-5 in interleague last year, and 75-33 in interleague from 2005-2010.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Hfx, I think you need a long talk with Seabeach Fred & let him explain things to you

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Geo, I agree ... to a point.

McDonald needs to go, even if he did have one of our two hits last night. Reddick needs to be playing every day at least until Crawford returns. Chances are he'll struggle, but he couldn't do any worse than McDonald and Cameron, who are hitting a combined .140.

Drew has been awful, too, but at least he has the ability to get a hit. So lefty-lefty be damned, I say you have to go with Reddick/Ellsbury/Drew in the outfield for now. And you bat Reddick or Drew in the 5 spot.

I'm a Francona guy ... it's hard for me not to be given that the franchise hasn't had a run like this since Babe Ruth was around. I'd never claim to know as much about the game or the personnel as he does, but his lefty-lefty hang-up drives me nuts.

Totally disagree about "getting his team prepared" for lesser teams. These are professional players, and it's their jobs to get themselves up. Grown men in their 20s and 30s shouldn't require Coach Taylor from "Friday Night Lights" to give them a pep talk every night.

As for "Coma" ... come on, that's beneath you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lloyd - always respect your honesty but I dont use COMA insincerly - it sadly reflects his slumbering managerial skills....watching this team on this road trip is sickening - and I disagree with you about having a manager who prepares you to play your hardest...it is important - how hard could it have been to tell our players that this Phillies squad could very well be our World Series nemesis so give it your all and then MANAGE THAT WAY?

this could have been a great time to prove our dominance to all ML teams - instead we fall out of first place and even worse, we seem to have SHRUNK from the challenge posed by interleague play. Can you imaGINE Belichick allowing Youk to make those crybaby remarks about the DH?????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd - always respect your honesty but I dont use COMA insincerly - it sadly reflects his slumbering managerial skills....watching this team on this road trip is sickening - and I disagree with you about having a manager who prepares you to play your hardest...it is important - how hard could it have been to tell our players that this Phillies squad could very well be our World Series nemesis so give it your all and then MANAGE THAT WAY? this could have been a great time to prove our dominance to all ML teams - instead we fall out of first place and even worse, we seem to have SHRUNK from the challenge posed by interleague play. Can you imaGINE Belichick allowing Youk to make those crybaby remarks about the DH?????
    I like your last sentence, especially since we just finished playing the Padres at Fenway who was their DH some clown I bet

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

OK, let me check my notes from the last time I consulted by crystal ball.

Oh, right. Back in Spring Training, just like everyone else, I saw that Drew, D-Mac and Cam would realize precipitous drops in output at the same time.

NOT!!!!!

I also saw that Carlos Beltran was the solution to all of our problems.

NOT!!!!!

C'mon, people. There is still half a season left.  Everyone gets healthy in July.

I choose to believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Geo, I agree ... to a point. McDonald needs to go, even if he did have one of our two hits last night. Reddick needs to be playing every day at least until Crawford returns. Chances are he'll struggle, but he couldn't do any worse than McDonald and Cameron, who are hitting a combined .140. Drew has been awful, too, but at least he has the ability to get a hit. So lefty-lefty be damned, I say you have to go with Reddick/Ellsbury/Drew in the outfield for now. And you bat Reddick or Drew in the 5 spot. I'm a Francona guy ... it's hard for me not to be given that the franchise hasn't had a run like this since Babe Ruth was around. I'd never claim to know as much about the game or the personnel as he does, but his lefty-lefty hang-up drives me nuts. Totally disagree about "getting his team prepared" for lesser teams. These are professional players, and it's their jobs to get themselves up. Grown men in their 20s and 30s shouldn't require Coach Taylor from "Friday Night Lights" to give them a pep talk every night. As for "Coma" ... come on, that's beneath you.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    I think that part of preparing the team includes putting the best lineup, available, on the field for each game. It has to affect the players mental approach to a game when they see sub par players in the lineup. I wonder how it feels to be a very competitive player and see your manager continually insert two players that aren't even batting .160? There has to be a mental let down for the rest of the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What best lineup?  Short of putting AGon in RF and Ortiz at 1B, there is no best lineup.  Reddick already plays against righties.  The problem is that Drew, Cameron, and McDonald have all been terrible this year, and that ain't Francona's fault. 

The Sox are down right now because because they can't play Ortiz (without dropping AGon or moving him to RF) or Crawford (on the DL) and must hit their pitchers in the 9 slot.  Funny thing, Beckett looked better at bat last night than Drew or Cameron.  Plus the pitching is struggling.  Two of the big three are on the DL or recovering (Beckett) from the flu. 

Plus the Pirates and Phillies both have pretty good pitching--the Phillies the best in MLB. 

And you guys are blaming all of that on Francona? 

Of course you are because that's what you do. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]The easiest thing is to pin it on the manager.  Yes, they're having a bad run in interleague this year.  Now let's conveniently ignore that under the same manager the Red Sox went 13-5 in interleague last year, and 75-33 in interleague from 2005-2010.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    You know, you might be right, it easy to pin losses on the manager. Maybe it would more prudent to say the team might have lost the game anyway, but it would be nice if we thought the manager was doing all he could to help them win. He does not always try to win games. Quitting thus becomes acceptable.
    If, by chance, Lackey is lights out tonight and the hitters rack up 10 runs, wouldn't saving the bullpen for tonight be senseless? In my opinion he is more concerned with what might happen in the future, and not concerned enough about winning the current game, especially if the current game is within reach..
    Quitting is never acceptable to me. Is it for you??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Teams go through good and bad stretches.

It happens.

Just because they are playing NL teams did you think they were going to make it easy for us?

The team has had a few issues that have disrupted the plan.Crawford injury, Beckett stomach flu, Having to sit Ortiz, revolving door in bullpen as injured players return, Pedroia injury scare, Lackey and Drew continue to disappoint, Lowrie injury.

This team should overcome these difficulties and go back to playing better ball soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Lizard King - our injuries are hurtful but not fatal - BUT our inability to play well regardless of the opponent has been evident all year long...not a good sign imho

but you are right - we will get better and i refuse to believe that geriatric Yankee team is better than us

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

The GM needs to make it easier for the manager to put a good team out there by getting rid of Cameron and DSuck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

well if this national league road trip opens people's eyes about how awful tito is as a manager, than i say it's worth it.
    he doesn't have a clue.

he and theo should do all sox fans a favor and exit stage left!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

georom: the use of the word  "fatal" indicates that the team is dead in the water with no hope.

This is the kind of talk we heard back in April...as you see it was premature.

The season is indeed a marathon. Long distance runners understand the need to "pace" themselves and not burn themselves out to be leading at the halfway point. You get no prize that I am aware of for being if 1st place on June 28.

Francona understands this better than most. If you are the type person that thinks the object is to win 162 games, he is not the manager for you.
    But if you understand that managing a 162 game schedule means you have to always think about the reprucussions of today's game on tomorrows and the day after that, then you know what he is all about.

I honestly think if he did not have the "season as a marathon" mentality the championship in 2004 would never have been possible. As late as Labor Day of that year, many of us had doubts if the team would even get the Wild Card.

The issues this team has are not fatal, as you stated. There is plenty of time to tweak the team as Theo did in 2004.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

without trying to have it both ways...how can this team lose???? (at least in AL)

theo got CC & AG and no team in mlb even came close to adding such game changers

i predicted a 99 win season if tito manages them
    if i get the call up, im thinking at least 94 games - we are that talented

and it is obvious with the interleague session that Tito is going to make as few waves as possible and collect his rings and winnings

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

If he went with Drew, Reddick and Salty 5 - 7 the past week the results likely wouldn't have changed, and people would still be calling for his head.  Nobody at all is hitting in the clutch right now, just like everyone was a few weeks ago when double figure runs were common.  That's baseball.  Lee has been untouchable, the Pirates are a better team then people realize, and SD has a dominant back of the pen.  Should we be better than 2 and 5 - absolutely, but its not Tito's fault.  No timely hitting and lack of real quality starts will give you these kind of frustrating weeks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]If he went with Drew, Reddick and Salty 5 - 7 the past week the results likely wouldn't have changed, and people would still be calling for his head.  Nobody at all is hitting in the clutch right now, just like everyone was a few weeks ago when double figure runs were common.  That's baseball.  Lee has been untouchable, the Pirates are a better team then people realize, and SD has a dominant back of the pen.  Should we be better than 2 and 5 - absolutely, but its not Tito's fault.  No timely hitting and lack of real quality starts will give you these kind of frustrating weeks.
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]

really??? we could have replaced 1/3 of the lineup and it would not have mattered??? really?????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Y'know, Zilla has a point.

If the team as constructed cannot overcome these injuries and adversities, then it doesn't deserve the AL East title and maybe not even the Wild Card

Think about it, though. Second year in a row that the injuries overshadow the potential. 

Maybe those people who wanted to re-evaluate the medical staff and the conditioning programs had a point.  And maybe Ellsbury had it right from the beginning.

Just saying maybe.

Here endeth the lesson.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]usually one has to wait until July or August to watch our good guy manager undermine our season with his ineptness....however this year it is not his pitching changes/or lack therof in the later innings that has thrust us out of first place (see TB series last two years) it is his steadfast refusal to abandon the stupid l-r scheme when putting together lineups.... No need to beat a dead horse but Mac, Tek, and Cameron 5-7?????? What kind of manager consistently plays these failures regularly and places them in prime hitting positions????? A clueless or apathetic one no doubt. The inability to pinch hit or pull pitchers in a timely fashion (I guess that's only for NL managers)???? The inability to get his team prepared to rout lesser teams like SD/Pitt???? Oh, and of course the rigorous spring training regimen will be paying us back in spades with its usual outcome of mass bodies on the DL for assorted sprains and muscle pulls (i.e. out of shape injuries). This team has to prepare to win each day without help from its own manager - no one who has watched this interleague spell can dispute that...

They, not him, are hitting under .200 for the past what, 10+ games?  Actual errors aside, their fielding has been spotty at best.  Not something that he can necessarily fix.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Question? If you played this game and made millions of dollars would you be ready to play ? From what you say ,you would be ready only if the manager makes you ready.And also who plays when you stuck with like you said Cameron,Tec,Mac.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The spring training thesis is such baloney.  Spring training is all about recovering and refining baseball skills--hitting, pitching, fielding and situational stuff.  The conditioning should already have been going on well before the start of ST. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

how can you pin it on Francona?

How is it his fault that Kalish got hurt, Crawford got hurt, Cameron needed to retire 2 years ago, Drew can't hit the broad side of the barn, and McDonald is a complete bust with every aspect of his game this year. We have 3 firstbasemen which are impossible to get into every game, so who else are you gonna play? Sorry kids, Theo isn't going to get Reyes and Kemp, that's ridiculous, only the Mets would stretch for something like that. SO yeah. Mcdonald is GOING to bat 5th because we have NOBODY else. I am sure if this continues Theo will even put Salty in the 5 hole. I honestly don't understand how you can blame any of it on Tito when time and time again the Sox just get injured. We have half our roster on the DL, but honestly you just have to get over it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

[QUOTE]Geo, I agree ... to a point. McDonald needs to go, even if he did have one of our two hits last night. Reddick needs to be playing every day at least until Crawford returns. Chances are he'll struggle, but he couldn't do any worse than McDonald and Cameron, who are hitting a combined .140. Drew has been awful, too, but at least he has the ability to get a hit. So lefty-lefty be damned, I say you have to go with Reddick/Ellsbury/Drew in the outfield for now. And you bat Reddick or Drew in the 5 spot. I'm a Francona guy ... it's hard for me not to be given that the franchise hasn't had a run like this since Babe Ruth was around. I'd never claim to know as much about the game or the personnel as he does, but his lefty-lefty hang-up drives me nuts. Totally disagree about "getting his team prepared" for lesser teams. These are professional players, and it's their jobs to get themselves up. Grown men in their 20s and 30s shouldn't require Coach Taylor from "Friday Night Lights" to give them a pep talk every night. As for "Coma" ... come on, that's beneath you.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]