NL rules need to be changed now??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

NL rules need to be changed now??

I think NL is losing out on power hitters to AL with DH rule.  Many power hitters come over to AL with large and long contract because AL teams are willing to offer such contracts with DH spot advantage on their backs. 

I'm surprised that no teams in NL complain about this...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: NL rules need to be changed now??

In Response to NL rules need to be changed now??:
    [QUOTE]I think NL is losing out on power hitters to AL with DH rule.  Many power hitters come over to AL with large and long contract because AL teams are willing to offer such contracts with DH spot advantage on their backs.  I'm surprised that no teams in NL complain about this...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I agree Sean. This situation should be and needs to be addressed by MLB. It makes zero sense if all the marquee power hitters in the NL turn to the AL because they know they have the DH to secure them in the final years of their contracts. And this is why you see longer contracts from AL teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

You think the NL teams are complaining because they don't get to spend as much money on their players??
    I see this as only magnifying the imbalance of the NL vs. the AL.  The AL will pay the big $$ to get the power hitters even though it drives their payroll up.  The NL "loses" the big power hitters and keeps their payroll down.  All the while the two leagues play games that are getting farther and farther from one another.

I see no way this is good for BASEBALL.  Let's make both leagues play by the same rules.  My personal preference is the NL rules, but that's just me and I respect those who like AL ball better.

BUT... the Sox are still my team!  :-))

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]I think NL is losing out on power hitters to AL with DH rule.  Many power hitters come over to AL with large and long contract because AL teams are willing to offer such contracts with DH spot advantage on their backs.  I'm surprised that no teams in NL complain about this...

Very good point !  NL should bring in the DH.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I agree it is an obvious imbalance problem but I doubt the NL owners are complaining since they are put in a position where they don't have to do the Pujols/Fielder type contracts b/c their is no DH parachute. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctinok. Show ctinok's posts

In my mind, baseball purists make several mistakes when they discuss the AL v NL DH issue.  Following the MLB owner/Player Association strike, MLB ceded the most popular sport title to the NFL.  MLB is competing with the NFL, NBA, NHL and Soccer for our fan support dollars.  Each of these leagues has reinvented their game since the strike to be faster paced and offensively oriented.  They are more exciting and interesting for the fan to watch.

MLB must follow suit to sustain its fan base.   MLB recognized this when it agreed to allow the AL to use the DH.  Since that time MLB fans are split as to the merits of the DH.  As this post points out, there are financial implications.  To the owners, I would say write better contracts.  To the players I would say if you are worth a ton of money how about a performance clause in the contract set to a standard on which the contract is proffered.   If the player is injured or has a down year, their contract for the following season pays less.  On the other hand, if the player has a banner year, the contract is worth more.  There should obviously be boundaries that could be negotiated to set the price fluctuation.

Bottom line:  baseball is entertainment.  Players are commodities.  As a fan I don’t think this way.  As an owner/GM I would. 

The DH makes it consistently more difficult to pitch in the AL.  There are fewer easy outs.  There are fewer pitchers of the Babe Ruth ilk.  Most pitchers are a hitting liability; AL or NL.  The AL game is more interesting to the fan in the context of offense.

The NL needs to adopt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

It works both ways though.  While the hitters are moving to the AL because of the DH spot, pitchers are moving to the NL, as markets allow.  The biggest exception being Sabathia, but I can't imagine a NL team giving him the deals that the Yankees did.  CJ Wilson stayed in the AL, only after the Marlins filled their pitching with Buehrle for less money and years.  Expect the pitching exodus to get worse in the coming years once the Mets and Dodgers are on solid financial footing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: NL rules need to be changed now??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NL rules need to be changed now?? : You think the NL teams are complaining because they don't get to spend as much money on their players?? very good S5 the dirty little secret of why there's no DH in the NL can't really say I agree about it being a problem 2 each his own, but I kind of like the change of pace for a few games a yr then again we don't lose a DH as good as the big guy
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

The problem is that interleague play (as of 2013) is no longer limited to a few games a year.  It's no longer a special attraction that takes place in June.  With the Astros move to the AL, you will have AL teams playing NL teams all year as a result of having 2, 15 team leagues.  I don't care if the DH is expanded to all leagues or simply removed, but I don't see any way that it gets removed.  MLBPA would never take away a source of player revenue.  The DH spot makes players a ton of money later in their careers (see Pujols and Fielder contracts this year).  Would players be signed as deep into their careers if there wasn't the DH safety net?  Would they continue to make $24M+ hitting free agency at age 34 (Fielder) or 38 (Pujols)?

If the 2 leagues need to get on an even playing field, the DH needs to be expanded, simply because it's a pandora's box that can not be resealed

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Oh, they complain.  I hear it from those guys who hate the DH rule, especially.  Maybe they don't complain looud enough ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: NL rules need to be changed now??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NL rules need to be changed now?? : The problem is that interleague play (as of 2013) is no longer limited to a few games a year. R U sure about that JB-3 last I heard it wasn't decided yet but most likely  maybe a couple more games but it's really just a matter of spreading the same amount of  games out I do agree that the union wont be letting the DH go away anytime soon
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

At least that's what I've heard.  We won't know for sure until the 2013 schedule is released, but let's enjoy the 2012 season first.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The counter movement is all the free agent pitchers go to the NL to 're-establish value'.

However, yes the DH needs to come tothe NL.  Are there any other sports where the rule changes regardless of what league/conference you play in?

Does the NFL do this?  Do we have a situation where in the AFC, you can go for a 2 point conversion, but in the NFC you have to let the pitcher bat?

The ONLY other time I can think of a rule change depending on league/division./conference is in NCAA basketball, where the Big East allows 6 fouls before fouling out and all the other conferences allow 5.  But that's college hoops...

Sections
Shortcuts