NL vs AL (AL More Difficult)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PrairieBayou. Show PrairieBayou's posts

Re: NL vs AL (AL More Difficult)

Personally, in this age of free agency, players movement, and interleague play, differences between leagues aren't a factor.  The biggest factor is DIVISION play.  In the NL Central, the Cardinals had to play the Pirates and Reds true, but we had gimmes in Milwaukee and Chicago.  The Red Sox didn't have an easy game in their division.  Even Toronto was a tough series.  That, in my mind, prepared them for postseason better than the Cardinals.  I could be wrong in my thinking, but look at how the AL East has performed since expansion in 1990's.  I think the results speak for themselves.

The other thing about the Cardinals is our youth.  As I mentioned on another post, our kids are playing over their heads.  Will they continue in this series?  With the youngins, you just don't know if they will continue to excel or get blinded by the national exposure and the big stage the World Series is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Do Cardinals fans not have their own forum? Is every thread to be patrolled and commented on by them now? Meanwhile Rusty, Id tend to agree, but I say in 5 or 6. If the Sox win the first two its over, if they split the series will be a good bit bloodier. But I dont minimize the threat. Stl is more than capable of winning this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PrairieBayou. Show PrairieBayou's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Do Cardinals fans not have their own forum? Is every thread to be patrolled and commented on by them now? Meanwhile Rusty, Id tend to agree, but I say in 5 or 6. If the Sox win the first two its over, if they split the series will be a good bit bloodier. But I dont minimize the threat. Stl is more than capable of winning this.

Spend more time there than here my friend....don't like an alternative view?  I can vacate if you prefer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to PrairieBayou's comment:

Spend more time there than here my friend....don't like an alternative view?  I can vacate if you prefer?

Exam hates the Cardinals more then he hates the Yankees.

i enjoy your posts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PrairieBayou. Show PrairieBayou's posts

[/QUOTE]

i enjoy your posts.

[/QUOTE]

For a Red Sox fan, that is something!!!!!  Sure he isn't a closet Chicago Cubs fan????LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i enjoy your posts.

For a Red Sox fan, that is something!!!!!  Sure he isn't a closet Chicago Cubs fan????LOL

not trying to speak for him but i believe he has Cincinatti (sp?) roots.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Don't go away.  Speaking only for myself (who else??) I'll say that I like a friendly, constructive alternate viewpoint.  It's much better than the Yankee trolls we have to put up with day after day.  (Which isn't exactly a compliment, but I hope you get what I mean. Smile )

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PrairieBayou. Show PrairieBayou's posts

Don't go away.  Speaking only for myself (who else??) I'll say that I like a friendly, constructive alternate viewpoint.  It's much better than the Yankee trolls we have to put up with day after day.  (Which isn't exactly a compliment, but I hope you get what I mean. Smile )

[/QUOTE]

Delete Yankee and insert Cubs and us Cards Forum dudes know exactly where you are coming from!!!!!!LOL  Different forum, same pile of mule (well you know!)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

i enjoy your posts.

• I hope the cubs win a world series in my life time.  I know how great it felt when we won in 04' so I hope cub fans get to have the same thrill!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

I don't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd start one.   This premise still exits, IMO.  

The simple fact is, AL teams need better pitching to deal with bigger payrolls, deeper and stronger lineups, obviously all tied to the DH.

STLs top end of the staff is very good, obviously, as is their pen, but that work is all done up against awful teams like the Cubs or Brewers or over-achieving clubs and lineups in that division like the Pirates or Reds.

STL will not be facing the Pirates or Dodgers here.  There is no crap 8 hitter or a pitcher you have to face.

So, while I have great respect for the Cardinals, think their staff and pen is as good as any we've seen in the postseason, we jus saw the sox win a series without really hitting at all and they won it in 6.

I think this goes 7 and the Sox win it, but I am very surprised how these elements have been ignored by the national media so far.

In recent years, when the Giants have won for example, like over Texas or Detroit, those Giants teams got hot and had comparable pitching staffs.

But, a Tigers lineup or a Rangers lineup was never quite like this lineup here.   

There was no Ortiz or the depth that our lineup has.  Heck, even the bench with a Nava or Gomes, even a great Mike Carp is a pinch hitter, speaks to the balance and depth of this team. Also, the Sox have homefield which is huge.

The cards have a deeper pen, but that's really the only advantage they have on paper in this series, IMO.  Manager, too. But, that's it.

Discuss:

I have been saying the same thing.  Of course the cards can over come this but let's hope they don't!

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Postseason very different from regular season.  All bets off.  Cardinals handled Pirates and Dodgers; Sox the Rays and Tigers.  Tactical managing is vastly overrated because all managers have access to reams of data plus their own knowledge of individual players, so both are going to make good decisions.  But even good decisions can lead to bad results because players perform or don't. 

Cardinals have one real edge in recent playoff experience, and Sox have the home field advantage.

Should be a good series. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

I don't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd start one.   This premise still exits, IMO.  

The simple fact is, AL teams need better pitching to deal with bigger payrolls, deeper and stronger lineups, obviously all tied to the DH.

STLs top end of the staff is very good, obviously, as is their pen, but that work is all done up against awful teams like the Cubs or Brewers or over-achieving clubs and lineups in that division like the Pirates or Reds.

STL will not be facing the Pirates or Dodgers here.  There is no crap 8 hitter or a pitcher you have to face.

So, while I have great respect for the Cardinals, think their staff and pen is as good as any we've seen in the postseason, we jus saw the sox win a series without really hitting at all and they won it in 6.

I think this goes 7 and the Sox win it, but I am very surprised how these elements have been ignored by the national media so far.

In recent years, when the Giants have won for example, like over Texas or Detroit, those Giants teams got hot and had comparable pitching staffs.

But, a Tigers lineup or a Rangers lineup was never quite like this lineup here.   

There was no Ortiz or the depth that our lineup has.  Heck, even the bench with a Nava or Gomes, even a great Mike Carp is a pinch hitter, speaks to the balance and depth of this team. Also, the Sox have homefield which is huge.

The cards have a deeper pen, but that's really the only advantage they have on paper in this series, IMO.  Manager, too. But, that's it.

Discuss:

That is depend who is the DH.  If this DH cant play anywhere and he is the best hitter, then that is a big loss.  

But if you look at world series winner since 1994 (1994 season was cancelled), NL and AL splitted evenly for the world series winner.  So therefore, it is not much difference.

IT is all about who have the best pitchings and who have more clutch hitters on the roster.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In the World Series always felt the National League has the advantage. Doesn't matter home or away.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:

Rusty?

Harvey is the current name of the poster formerly known as Rusty. He just gets a little fired up at times and goes on the personal attack train and gets banned. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

I'd say they are about even now. The NL was better in the 50's and 60's. In the 70's the AL caught up then they NL kind of got better late 70's early 80's. The AL since then has won most of the All Star games and interleague play which began in 97.The World Series have been almost a split I think. But overall it's pretty close.

• Sections
    Shortcuts