no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

Clearly our areas of weakness.....time is going by...guys being signed. Maybe we do something mid year at trade deadline....I know there is still time. I just don't get a good feeling about this. Lackluster offseason. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

Since its not even Christmas yet, and this Front office has put together a competitive roster that had a shot pretty much every year since they took over, I have zero concern right now....you sound a bit like that girl from Willy Wonka who wanted it all and wanted it now...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

Didn't they just make a trade for a potential closer/set up guy and sign a untility infielder? They got big Papi to arbitration.  Granted, they need a RF, but they can win with what they had last year minus Drew.

They do have holes in the rotation, but filling those holes will require some finesse.  They have 2/5ths of the rotation is on the DL and those 2 guys make a ton of cash.  Do you hope that Dice-K is ready by the AS game to help for the 2nd half of the season and sign a pitcher to a longterm contract with the intent of letting Dice-K go at the end of this year?  And if you want to sign a top shelf pitcher to a long term contract how do you get him?  Through a trade?  If so, who do you trade?

To fill the holes on the the rotation will require finesse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?:
    [QUOTE]Clearly our areas of weakness.....time is going by...guys being signed. Maybe we do something mid year at trade deadline....I know there is still time. I just don't get a good feeling about this. Lackluster offseason. Thoughts?
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

Actually I think Ben is hanging out in the Bahamas, sitting by the pool, eating bon-bons and drinking pina coladas.

I believe his strategy is to wait the FA's out...and once they start panicking and come looking for a job, he will pounce! Considering the crop of free agents in this years class...I think that might be a sound approach to finish building the roster.

Just call him Ben 'The Cat' Cherington.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?:
    [QUOTE]Didn't they just make a trade for a potential closer/set up guy and sign a untility infielder? They got big Papi to arbitration.  Granted, they need a RF, but they can win with what they had last year minus Drew. They do have holes in the rotation, but filling those holes will require some finesse.  They have 2/5ths of the rotation is on the DL and those 2 guys make a ton of cash.  Do you hope that Dice-K is ready by the AS game to help for the 2nd half of the season and sign a pitcher to a longterm contract with the intent of letting Dice-K go at the end of this year?  And if you want to sign a top shelf pitcher to a long term contract how do you get him?  Through a trade?  If so, who do you trade? To fill the holes on the the rotation will require finesse.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I agree with you......my opinion is though...a utility infielder change wasn't a priority...David Ortiz maybe a priority but still not the utmost priority...finesse will be required but how.....I'm not like the Wonka thing by the way. I know this club is good, I don't want it all now..but if we don't effect the pitching/bullpen significantly this team better stay consistent scoring alot of runs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : Actually I think Ben is hanging out in the Bahamas, sitting by the pool, eating bon-bons and drinking pina coladas. I believe his strategy is to wait the FA's out...and once they start panicking and come looking for a job, he will pounce! Considering the crop of free agents in this years class...I think that might be a sound approach to finish building the roster. Just call him Ben 'The Cat' Cherington. Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE] Agreed....they have accomplished quite a bit this off-season without panicking. Punto, Shoppach & Melancon are all "character guys," which this team needed. Relief pitcher may be the least predictable position in sports from year to year. Do not like any deals exceeding 2 years. Every year you see at least 5 or 6 guys come out of nowhere and emerge as a team's closer. They will bring in more relievers for sure, but I'd be shocked if they give a Madson anything close to what Boras is looking for.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : I agree with you......my opinion is though...a utility infielder change wasn't a priority...David Ortiz maybe a priority but still not the utmost priority...finesse will be required but how.....I'm not like the Wonka thing by the way. I know this club is good, I don't want it all now..but if we don't effect the pitching/bullpen significantly this team better stay consistent scoring alot of runs. Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE] If on February 1st this team hasn't done anything else, then your post will have merit. On December 21st, not so much...January is a great month for "deals," for those teams who are patient...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It is as if people have never experienced this strange and mysterious phenomenon called the off season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The budget is tight...already close to the luxury tax line.  Not much Benny can do if they don't give him the dough to spend.  He seems to be working pretty methodically from what I can see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]The budget is tight...already close to the luxury tax line.  Not much Benny can do if they don't give him the dough to spend.  He seems to be working pretty methodically from what I can see. Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE] Ideally, they would like to remain under the cap, but they'll go over for the right deal (short term). I was never crazy about the Lackey deal after '09, but I understood why they did it. They knew there were not going to be very many quality starters available until '12 (they knew Lee would never sign here), so they took a shot on a guy who's won big games and eats innings. They will be a little more careful moving forward, especially when the market is thin...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

They've done plenty to prepare for the 2012 season so far.  Locking up AGon for $100M less than Pujols, getting Buch signed to a team friendly deal.  Eventhough these happened back in April, they don't take effect until the 2012 season.  Ben brought in an affordable candidate for one of the 2 open rotation spots in Miller, and brought in an arm (Melancon) to replace either Bard or Ace as they transition to a potential starting role.  They replaced the pieces they traded away for Melancon by signing Punto, who's a better defender than Lowrie although not as gifted against LHP's.  They also replaced their backup catcher.  And let's not forget, they retained the best DH in the game.  Seems fairly active to me.  Time to wait for demands to start dropping from FA's (Cody Ross' demands just dropped from a 3 year deal to 2 years).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I searched, and there are no rules regarding naming a closer in December.  As a matter of fact, I don't think we need to even name a closer.

Past that, assuming our BP is something along the lines of Melancon, Aceves, Albers, Morales, and probably Tazawa and Doubront (or Jenks if he's ready), we really just need one more BP arm and one SP.  Platooning Reddck and DMac in RF will still leave us in the top-3 in scoring, though I could easily see us adding A. Jones.

Like it or not, we really only have one big move left for an SP and we could start the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]I searched, and there are no rules regarding naming a closer in December.  As a matter of fact, I don't think we need to even name a closer. Past that, assuming our BP is something along the lines of Melancon, Aceves, Albers, Morales, and probably Tazawa and Doubront (or Jenks if he's ready), we really just need one more BP arm and one SP.  Platooning Reddck and DMac in RF will still leave us in the top-3 in scoring, though I could easily see us adding A. Jones. Like it or not, we really only have one big move left for an SP and we could start the season. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] Lol, Joe...Fantasy teams get upset when teams don't name their closer before the ridiculously early January fantasy drafts...but we won't see Dmac in RF ever again...he makes Adam Dunn look like Garry Maddox...Drew made it look easy out there, but its not. They need defense in right, over a RH bat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?:
    [QUOTE]Since its not even Christmas yet, and this Front office has put together a competitive roster that had a shot pretty much every year since they took over, I have zero concern right now....you sound a bit like that girl from Willy Wonka who wanted it all and wanted it now...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Awesome Comment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from murf7. Show murf7's posts

Gio Gonzalez, Carlos Beltran and Andrew Bailey are all on the sleigh ready for Christmas Eve as the perfect stocking stuffers. Enjoy The Holidays!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]Gio Gonzalez, Carlos Beltran and Andrew Bailey are all on the sleigh ready for Christmas Eve as the perfect stocking stuffers. Enjoy The Holidays!!! Posted by murf7[/QUOTE] They may all be on the sleigh, but unlikely any of them get off in Boston....no shot of all three

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I seem to remember they hired a manager too.  

When did the trade deadline move to December?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Clearly there is time to fill holes, but the number of options will go way down by Christmas. The longer the Red Sox kick tires, the more likely it is that they overspend on the last man standing or sign a number of retreads.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Clearly there is time to fill holes, but the number of options will go way down by Christmas. The longer the Red Sox kick tires, the more likely it is that they overspend on the last man standing or sign a number of retreads.
    Posted by Thomasmtom[/QUOTE]

That is one way to look at it.  the other is that no one is worth pouncing on with big numbers or farm chips, everyone knows it (hence the fact there are so many names still out there), and waiting the market out will yield better value.

If there were must-haves out there, sure pounce.  But if the risk is losing out on soon-to-be-retreads and having to settle for current-retreads, I am not really that nervous.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : That is one way to look at it.  the other is that no one is worth pouncing on with big numbers or farm chips, everyone knows it (hence the fact there are so many names still out there), and waiting the market out will yield better value. If there were must-haves out there, sure pounce.  But if the risk is losing out on soon-to-be-retreads and having to settle for current-retreads, I am not really that nervous. Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE] You can't really explain it any better than that, Spaceman, but it still doesn't register with some. I haven't seen a deal made this off season (Trade or signing) that I wished the Sox would have made.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": You can't really explain it any better than that, Spaceman, but it still doesn't register with some. I haven't seen a deal made this off season (Trade or signing) that I wished the Sox would have made.

Jasko, I get people's panic.  I do.  The end of the season was a disaster.  Many can't see past that.  And, they want magic fixes that just don't exist.  But, the good news once they get over the panic, is that the makings for a good club are already in place.  I love the little pieces Ben C. has added thus far.  I am sure there is more to come.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : Jasko, I get people's panic.  I do.  The end of the season was a disaster.  Many can't see past that.  And, they want magic fixes that just don't exist.  But, the good news once they get over the panic, is that the makings for a good club are already in place.  I love the little pieces Ben C. has added thus far.  I am sure there is more to come.   Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE] I understand "why" some panic, it's a "NOW" society, which doesn't really apply to smart baseball management. I love what they've done so far as well...There is significant addition by subtraction alone, for a club that played .667 ball for a 4 month stretch...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": You can't really explain it any better than that, Spaceman, but it still doesn't register with some. I haven't seen a deal made this off season (Trade or signing) that I wished the Sox would have made.

Personally, I would have liked one of Broxton at 1 year and $4M or Jon Rauch at 1 year $3.5M.

Other than that, I agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : Personally, I would have liked one of Broxton at 1 year and $4M or Jon Rauch at 1 year $3.5M. Other than that, I agree. Posted by JB-3[/Q I'm all for one year, low money deals, and even though I'm aware that Jeff Francoeur convinced Broxton to go to KC on a hunting trip, I'd be leary of a guy who went to a team where he may not get an opportunity to be a closer for low money. Kind of strange....Rauch ok, but not for that money. He's another guy who may not be able handle this market...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": I'm all for one year, low money deals, and even though I'm aware that Jeff Francoeur convinced Broxton to go to KC on a hunting trip, I'd be leary of a guy who went to a team where he may not get an opportunity to be a closer for low money. Kind of strange....Rauch ok, but not for that money. He's another guy who may not be able handle this market...

To be clear, it's not like I'm distraught that we didn't get one of these guys, but they're they type of deals that I'm looking for at this point.  Broxton is coming off of some injury problems and is focused on showing that he can remain healthy, but when healthy in the past he's been dominant.  Rauch has always been an under the radar type of pitcher and I see him as good value despite his career high ERA last season in Toronto.  While it would certainly be a bigger stage than he's used to, he does have some AL East experience.

Sections
Shortcuts