no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : To be clear, it's not like I'm distraught that we didn't get one of these guys, but they're they type of deals that I'm looking for at this point.  Broxton is coming off of some injury problems and is focused on showing that he can remain healthy, but when healthy in the past he's been dominant.  Rauch has always been an under the radar type of pitcher and I see him as good value despite his career high ERA last season in Toronto.  While it would certainly be a bigger stage than he's used to, he does have some AL East experience. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] I see your point JB-3, just a matter of preference, but I'd rather sign 3 guys to 1 million dollar contracts than give a Rauch 3 plus. Relievers are too unpredictable from year to year. The Jencks & Soriano deals look horrific right now, yet Aceves was arguably staff MVP on a flier...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?

In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": I see your point JB-3, just a matter of preference, but I'd rather sign 3 guys to 1 million dollar contracts than give a Rauch 3 plus. Relievers are too unpredictable from year to year. The Jencks & Soriano deals look horrific right now, yet Aceves was arguably staff MVP on a flier...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

The Aceves deal should be in a class of it's own since he was pre-arb, compared to vet FA's.  Also, you could almost sign both of Rauch and Broxton for what Jenks is making.  At the same time, Jenks could come back to form this season, he had decent peripherals when he pitched last season (I'm not holding out hope, but it's possible).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Hey, they can't afford any more overpriced stars and overpriced hacks anyway.  They might be waiting until Clarence January becomes available at the right price.  Hopefully, Clarence can start, fill in in the bullpen, play a decent rightfield, and hit a decent lick against lefties. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?:
    [QUOTE]Hey, they can't afford any more overpriced stars and overpriced hacks anyway.  They might be waiting until Clarence January becomes available at the right price.  Hopefully, Clarence can start, fill in in the bullpen, play a decent rightfield, and hit a decent lick against lefties. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Hactually, Darnell Coles is 49 and he retired in 1997.  They have enough utility infielders anyway. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Hactually, Darnell Coles is 49 and he retired in 1997.  They have enough utility infielders anyway. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

Ben is doing patch work on an already good team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": Agreed....they have accomplished quite a bit this off-season without panicking. Punto, Shoppach & Melancon are all "character guys," which this team needed. Relief pitcher may be the least predictable position in sports from year to year. Do not like any deals exceeding 2 years. Every year you see at least 5 or 6 guys come out of nowhere and emerge as a team's closer. They will bring in more relievers for sure, but I'd be shocked if they give a Madson anything close to what Boras is looking for.

How does a kid relief pitcher with barely one full season under his belt qualify as a "character guy?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : How does a kid relief pitcher with barely one full season under his belt qualify as a "character guy?" Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE] Google him, read a scouting report, something....I already did my homework wiseass

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's still time to make some minimoves that will improve on what we have now, but I'm not expecting anything grand in scale. We already spent a ton on extending AGon and Buch this spring.

As you all know, I have been saying all fall that we should concentrate all our resources on upgrading our staff, but there is one thing to look at. We alost made the playoffs in 2011 and besides replacing Papelbon, hoiw hard should it be to improve on this:

Lackey      160 IP  6.41
    Wakefield 155 IP  5.12
    A.Miller?     65 IP  5.54 (We may see more of Miller in 2012)
    Bedard       38 IP  4.03
    Dice-K        37 IP   5.30 (We may see more of Dice-K after June)
    Weiland     25 IP   7.66

Total: 480 IP  5.66 ERA

That's a lot of iinings to replace, and that's not even counting...
    Wheeler  49 IP  4.38
    Okajima    8 IP  4.32
    Williams    8 IP  6.48
    R. Hill         8 IP  0.00
    Hottovy    4 IP  6.75
    Miller, Reyes, DMac:  5 IP  9.00 ERA

So far, we will have to replace these innings with:
    More IP from:
    Buchholtz      83> 183  +100
    Bard (SP?)     73> 163  +80
    Aceves (SP) 114> 174  +60
    (Dice-K from 37 to 87    +50)

There could be about 300 innings here "made up".

That leaves about 250 innings needed from:
    Doubront 10 >120  +110
    Tazawa      3> 83      + 80
    Melancon  0> 60       +60

It actually might not be as bad as we think.
    How many of these guys should be worse than a 5.66 ERA?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As for RF, our RF OPS was 29th in MLB at .652 (in 649 PAs)...
     Drew  270 PAs  .638
     Redd  192 PAs  .676
     DMac   86 PAs  .801
     Cam     84 PAs  .542
     Av/Jck 10 PAs .200

If we can find a RH'd someone to play RF and give us a .800 OPS like DMac did but for 250 PAs, and we can get a .700+ OPS from Redd or Kalish vs RHPs, we may be able to gain about 100 points in RF OPS at a minimal cost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

To me, it's obvious moves are coming, but due to last year's splurge (1 good, 1 not so good, at least so far); and given that offense was NOT the issue in 2011, here's guessing they were impressed by the Yankees junk bin acquisitions last yr and may try something similar. Freddy Garcias of the world, get ready to audition.

As Theo used to say, RF shall likely be solved via internal solutions.

It is also possible that 2012 shall be an unannounced bridge year, which is common with a new MGR and G MGR, who would want to mold the team via their concept; it's difficult to take a freeze dried approach in any sport, despite the fickle demands of the populace.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]To me, it's obvious moves are coming, but due to last year's splurge (1 good, 1 not so good, at least so far); and given that offense was NOT the issue in 2011, here's guessing they were impressed by the Yankees junk bin acquisitions last yr and may try something similar. Freddy Garcias of the world, get ready to audition. As Theo used to say, RF shall likely be solved via internal solutions. It is also possible that 2012 shall be an unannounced bridge year, which is common with a new MGR and G MGR, who would want to mold the team via their concept; it's difficult to take a freeze dried approach in any sport, despite the fickle demands of the populace.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    Valentine has a two-year contract. If 2012 is a de facto bridge year, are the Sox giving him only one year to win?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The rotation is a clear issue.  The front three, if they stay healthy, are more than sufficient.  The bottom two spots not only leave huge questions with regards to durability, but also weaken the bullpen simply by moving.  Losing the three best relief pitchers from 2011 and replacing them with Mark Melancon doesn’t even look like status quo.

The “named closer” issue is far and away the least pressing, and shouldn’t even be on the radar, although it probably is.  Last year, the Cardinals named Ryan Franklin closer on opening day, and he converted all of 1 of his first 5 save opportunities.  They gave the job to Mitchell Boggs, and then to Fernando Salas, who handed it over to Eduardo Sanchez, who gave it back to Salas, who finally surrendered it to Jason Motte.   Anyone who says closer by committee cannot work must have missed this.  I doubt the Sox go that route, but if anything the 2011 Cardinals certainly drove home the point about how unimportant defined bullpen roles are.

RF isn’t a huge concern.  Reddick is no star, but he is certainly adequate.  If the Sox add a platoon partner (although Reddick did hit .275 vs. LHP) that will probably be as far as it goes.  Hopefully they allocate whatever is left in the budget for pitching, beyond maybe adding someone like Ryan Spilsborghs or Ryan Ludwick or Ryan Raburn  as a RF compliment.  As long as it is a right-handed hitting OF named Ryan, we’ll be OK.  Although that Braun fellow is pretty unlikely, and thankfully that Langershans guy is not right-handed.

I’d love 2 SPs, but that won’t happen.  I think the Sox need to add 2 pitchers regardless.  Given the budget limitations, even one starter is unlikely, unless he is acquired via trade.  If both Bard and Aceves are in the rotation, hopefully the worse of the two can at least last until Daisuke returns, assuming he does at all…

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING? : Valentine has a two-year contract. If 2012 is a de facto bridge year, are the Sox giving him only one year to win?
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I yhink that was done by the FO so they can protect themselves in case the new regime blew up in their face; Walter Alston signed 23 1 yr contracts with the Dodgers way back when.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

There is NO FREAKING BRIDGE YEAR - this team right now without any further moves remains in the top 7 teams in MLB. Stop blabbering about bridge years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]The rotation is a clear issue.  The front three, if they stay healthy, are more than sufficient.  The bottom two spots not only leave huge questions with regards to durability, but also weaken the bullpen simply by moving.  Losing the three best relief pitchers from 2011 and replacing them with Mark Melancon doesn’t even look like status quo.   The “named closer” issue is far and away the least pressing, and shouldn’t even be on the radar, although it probably is.  Last year, the Cardinals named Ryan Franklin closer on opening day, and he converted all of 1 of his first 5 save opportunities.  They gave the job to Mitchell Boggs, and then to Fernando Salas, who handed it over to Eduardo Sanchez, who gave it back to Salas, who finally surrendered it to Jason Motte.   Anyone who says closer by committee cannot work must have missed this.  I doubt the Sox go that route, but if anything the 2011 Cardinals certainly drove home the point about how unimportant defined bullpen roles are.   RF isn’t a huge concern.  Reddick is no star, but he is certainly adequate.  If the Sox add a platoon partner (although Reddick did hit .275 vs. LHP) that will probably be as far as it goes.  Hopefully they allocate whatever is left in the budget for pitching, beyond maybe adding someone like Ryan Spilsborghs or Ryan Ludwick or Ryan Raburn  as a RF compliment.  As long as it is a right-handed hitting OF named Ryan, we’ll be OK.  Although that Braun fellow is pretty unlikely, and thankfully that Langershans guy is not right-handed. I’d love 2 SPs, but that won’t happen.  I think the Sox need to add 2 pitchers regardless.  Given the budget limitations, even one starter is unlikely, unless he is acquired via trade.  If both Bard and Aceves are in the rotation, hopefully the worse of the two can at least last until Daisuke returns, assuming he does at all…  
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Again, nice post.

I think we may add 2 starting pitchers, but at $1M or Minor/Major league type deals (see Miller's deal). Brandon Webb? Timmy W? Then add 2 pen arms, probably 1 FA and one via trade (with a low salary). We could just about do this and still get a cheap RH'd OF'er, but I think Ben will stick with DMac and his .800+ OPS vs LHPs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We only need to improve on this...

Lackey      160 IP  6.41
    Wakefield 155 IP  5.12
    A.Miller?     65 IP  5.54 (We may see more of Miller in 2012)
    Bedard       38 IP  4.03
    Dice-K        37 IP   5.30 (We may see more of Dice-K after June)
    Weiland     25 IP   7.66

Total: 480 IP  5.66 ERA

That's a lot of iinings to replace, and that's not even counting...
    Wheeler  49 IP  4.38
    Okajima    8 IP  4.32
    Williams    8 IP  6.48
    R. Hill         8 IP  0.00
    Hottovy    4 IP  6.75
    Miller, Reyes, DMac:  5 IP  9.00 ERA

So far, we will have to replace these innings with:
    More IP from:
    Buchholtz      83> 183  +100
    Bard (SP?)     73> 163  +80
    Aceves (SP) 114> 174  +60
    (Dice-K from 37 to 87    +50)

There could be about 300 innings here "made up".

That leaves about 250 innings needed from:
    Doubront 10 >120  +110
    Tazawa      3> 83      + 80
    Melancon  0> 60       +60

It actually might not be as bad as we think.
    How many of these guys should be worse than a 5.66 ERA?

As for RF, our RF OPS was 29th in MLB at .652 (in 649 PAs)...
     Drew  270 PAs  .638
     Redd  192 PAs  .676
     DMac   86 PAs  .801
     Cam     84 PAs  .542
     Av/Jck 10 PAs .200

If we can find a RH'd someone to play RF and give us a .800 OPS like DMac did but for 250 PAs, and we can get a .700+ OPS from Redd or Kalish vs RHPs, we may be able to gain about 100 points in RF OPS at a minimal cost.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]There is NO FREAKING BRIDGE YEAR - this team right now without any further moves remains in the top 7 teams in MLB. Stop blabbering about bridge years.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Fans like to cling to that phrase as a panic sign, even though the only time it was ever used was to describe the progress of our minor league players as the Sox shifted their draft strategy from high schoolers to college players...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

SF Giants had a team made up of players thrown away by other teams as I recall. They won it all. People place too much importance on big names, and forget the players that have something to prove. Nothing is more powerful in a team sport. A hodgepodge of players brought together for a purpose, IMO, has way more power than adding a thousand big names. I think we've seen that with the Phillies. Not saying this is a hodgepodge team by any means, just trying to put it in perspective. They do have something to prove, however.

And anyone that wants to point out the Cardinals, look at the guy who, IMO, won it all for them. You can add to that the hodgepodge of Idiots that made up the 2004 Sox. Who knows who will come through for the Sox next year? I believe it's called unlikely heroes, and for a reason. What's not to love about unlikely heroes?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": [QUOTE]SF Giants had a team made up of players thrown away by other teams as I recall. They won it all. People place too much importance on big names, and forget the players that have something to prove. Nothing is more powerful in a team sport. A hodgepodge of players brought together for a purpose, IMO, has way more power than adding a thousand big names. I think we've seen that with the Phillies. Not saying this is a hodgepodge team by any means, just trying to put it in perspective. They do have something to prove, however. And anyone that wants to point out the Cardinals, look at the guy who, IMO, won it all for them. You can add to that the hodgepodge of Idiots that made up the 2004 Sox. Who knows who will come through for the Sox next year? I believe it's called unlikely heroes, and for a reason. What's not to love about unlikely heroes? Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] Unfortunately, the posters on this board who should read this post actually won't and the ones who will read it, already understand it...great post either way...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: no "named" closer, right field is a guessing game, the rotation is unstable...WHAT IS BEN DOING?": Unfortunately, the posters on this board who should read this post actually won't and the ones who will read it, already understand it...great post either way...

Thank you, jasko. Don't forget the ones who will read it, and still believe they need every big name out there. We don't want to leave them out...wait... :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]We only need to improve on this... Lackey      160 IP  6.41 Wakefield 155 IP  5.12 A.Miller?     65 IP  5.54 (We may see more of Miller in 2012) Bedard       38 IP  4.03 Dice-K        37 IP   5.30 (We may see more of Dice-K after June) Weiland     25 IP   7.66 Total: 480 IP  5.66 ERA That's a lot of iinings to replace, and that's not even counting... Wheeler  49 IP  4.38 Okajima    8 IP  4.32 Williams    8 IP  6.48 R. Hill         8 IP  0.00 Hottovy    4 IP  6.75 Miller, Reyes, DMac:  5 IP  9.00 ERA So far, we will have to replace these innings with: More IP from: Buchholtz      83 /> 183  +100 Bard (SP?)     73> 163  +80 Aceves (SP) 114> 174  +60 (Dice-K from 37 to 87    +50) There could be about 300 innings here "made up". That leaves about 250 innings needed from: Doubront 10 >120  +110 Tazawa      3> 83      + 80 Melancon  0> 60       +60 It actually might not be as bad as we think. How many of these guys should be worse than a 5.66 ERA? ____________________________________________ As for RF, our RF OPS was 29th in MLB at .652 (in 649 PAs)...  Drew  270 PAs  .638  Redd  192 PAs  .676  DMac   86 PAs  .801  Cam     84 PAs  .542  Av/Jck 10 PAs .200 If we can find a RH'd someone to play RF and give us a .800 OPS like DMac did but for 250 PAs, and we can get a .700+ OPS from Redd or Kalish vs RHPs, we may be able to gain about 100 points in RF OPS at a minimal cost.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon, you love your statistical breakdowns.  And you have hit the nail on the head with this one.  Looking at that 250 innings pitched, I see a pitcher who was the second best of the bunch last year.  He pitched below the 5.66 ERA and could probably eat up half those innings quite sufficiently.  My guess is he could be had for about 1 or 2 million, and he is a much better risk than Webb.  

Looking at RF, I am not a DMac supporter.  I don't think he defends well enough even if he hits lefties at an OPS of .800+.  So maybe Ross or Ludwick, but only on short terms and short money.  This simply isn't much of a priority, as even with no improvement in OPS, the Sox have one of the top offenses in all of baseball.  Let the young guys (Kalish, Reddick, Hassan and Lin) fight it out for the last 2 OF spots.  Save the money and sign Madson (and that pitcher who shall not be named).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, you love your statistical breakdowns.  And you have hit the nail on the head with this one.  Looking at that 250 innings pitched, I see a pitcher who was the second best of the bunch last year.  He pitched below the 5.66 ERA and could probably eat up half those innings quite sufficiently.  My guess is he could be had for about 1 or 2 million, and he is a much better risk than Webb.  

Maybe we could afford both at$1M or so each.

Looking at RF, I am not a DMac supporter.  I don't think he defends well enough even if he hits lefties at an OPS of .800+.  So maybe Ross or Ludwick, but only on short terms and short money.  This simply isn't much of a priority, as even with no improvement in OPS, the Sox have one of the top offenses in all of baseball.  Let the young guys (Kalish, Reddick, Hassan and Lin) fight it out for the last 2 OF spots.  Save the money and sign Madson (and that pitcher who shall not be named).

I'm with you on DMac's fielding in RF. He's fine in LF, and actually should be platooning with Crawford, but as open-minded as Bobby V is, I don't see him sitting CC vs half or more LH'd starters (as he should). I'd live to get a very cheap RH'd OF bat that can field RF well, and Ben might find one, but to me, pitching must be dealt with first. We can't count on all of what I listed earlier. Some will not do well next year, and we need outside help. Cheap help. Good help. Let's hope Ben is savvy enough to find next year's Colons or Garcias...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]There's still time to make some minimoves that will improve on what we have now, but I'm not expecting anything grand in scale. We already spent a ton on extending AGon and Buch this spring. As you all know, I have been saying all fall that we should concentrate all our resources on upgrading our staff, but there is one thing to look at. We alost made the playoffs in 2011 and besides replacing Papelbon, hoiw hard should it be to improve on this: Lackey      160 IP  6.41 Wakefield 155 IP  5.12 A.Miller?     65 IP  5.54 (We may see more of Miller in 2012) Bedard       38 IP  4.03 Dice-K        37 IP   5.30 (We may see more of Dice-K after June) Weiland     25 IP   7.66 Total: 480 IP  5.66 ERA That's a lot of iinings to replace, and that's not even counting... Wheeler  49 IP  4.38 Okajima    8 IP  4.32 Williams    8 IP  6.48 R. Hill         8 IP  0.00 Hottovy    4 IP  6.75 Miller, Reyes, DMac:  5 IP  9.00 ERA So far, we will have to replace these innings with: More IP from: Buchholtz      83 /> 183  +100 Bard (SP?)     73 /> 163  +80 Aceves (SP) 114> 174  +60 (Dice-K from 37 to 87    +50) There could be about 300 innings here "made up". That leaves about 250 innings needed from: Doubront 10 >120  +110 Tazawa      3> 83      + 80 Melancon  0> 60       +60 It actually might not be as bad as we think. How many of these guys should be worse than a 5.66 ERA?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, good point, and as always, well backed up with the numbers.  Still, the 2012 Red Sox may need to more than make up for 2011 considering that Tampa Bay and maybe Toronto and the Orioles will play better baseball throughout the season.  There might also be tougher competition for the wildcard considering that both Texas and Anaheim might have better regular season records.  Just beating out last year's numbers may not be enough considering overall tougher competition within the league.