No contract yet for Ortiz.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: No contract yet for Ortiz.

ya i am starting to think that ortiz will not be back. the most i would give him is 1 yr plus a team option for a second year. take it or leave it. if the rumors are true and he wants a 3 year deal then he will have to find one elswhere. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Of course Ortiz will be back. Cherington says he wants him. Ortiz says he wants to stay with the Red Sox. The Blue Jays re-signed Encarnacion for DH and Cashman said the Yankees want to rotate three or four guys at that position next year, which effectively rules out Ortiz for New York. National League teams won't want him as a 1B, especially not on a multi-year deal. The Rays can't compete with the Red Sox financially. The Orioles need to think longer-term than a guy in his late 30s. I don't see that he has a lot of options.

In all likelihood, he'll come back for 1 year/$10 million, plus a team option for a second year at $10 million or a $4 million buy-out. That way, at minimum, he picks up $14 million for 1 year but the Red Sox have the flexibility to keep him for two years at a total of $20 million, if he's still productive. The Red Sox can add a second team option for a third year at $10 million, with a lower buy-out, like $2 million.

That's a win-win deal for both sides. Ortiz sort of gets his 3 year deal. He either makes $14 million for 1 year (a raise on his 2011 salary), $22 million for 2 years (probably his actual value), or $30 million for 3 years. My guess is that the team would exercise its first option and decline the second one. The Red Sox fare well because they lock Ortiz into a reasonable contract and control him for up to three additional years, while retaining the flexibility to drop him at the end of one season without incurring a significant Renteria-like sunk cost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: No contract yet for Ortiz.:
    [QUOTE]Cherington has all along been very pro -ortiz so its difficult to say what will happen .do I think he should be back? not a chance. Can't imagine where else he would go but I have a hard time seeing him in a sox uniform next season
    Posted by gclef[/QUOTE]

Poor Jackbu, Big Papi refused to autograph a baseball for his kid last year and now he  is on a hate rant against him. Jackbu starts and runs to every thread about Ortiz. It is a compulsion with him. One sick dude.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to No contract yet for Ortiz.:
    [QUOTE]I think the new sox gm will quickly want his own team. Ortiz will not be signed and should think about also closing his Boston big sloppy restaurant.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Instead of wanting his own team, I predict he'll choose the 25 guys that provide the best talent for the most reasonable cost.  For new GMs, winning is everything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gclef. Show gclef's posts

Cherington has all along been very pro -ortiz so its difficult to say what will happen .do I think he should be back? not a chance. Can't imagine where else he would go but I have a hard time seeing him in a sox uniform next season

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I predict he'll choose the 25 guys that provide the best talent for the most reasonable cost

That excludes Wastefield and Varitek at a 2011 cost of nearly 6 million. I'll wait and see what he does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Of course Ortiz will be back. Cherington says he wants him. Ortiz says he wants to stay with the Red Sox. The Blue Jays re-signed Encarnacion for DH and Cashman said the Yankees want to rotate three or four guys at that position next year, which effectively rules out Ortiz for New York. National League teams won't want him as a 1B, especially not on a multi-year deal. The Rays can't compete with the Red Sox financially. The Orioles need to think longer-term than a guy in his late 30s. I don't see that he has a lot of options. In all likelihood, he'll come back for 1 year/$10 million, plus a team option for a second year at $10 million or a $4 million buy-out. That way, at minimum, he picks up $14 million for 1 year but the Red Sox have the flexibility to keep him for two years at a total of $20 million, if he's still productive. The Red Sox can add a second team option for a third year at $10 million, with a lower buy-out, like $2 million. That's a win-win deal for both sides. Ortiz sort of gets his 3 year deal. He either makes $14 million for 1 year (a raise on his 2011 salary), $22 million for 2 years (probably his actual value), or $30 million for 3 years. My guess is that the team would exercise its first option and decline the second one. The Red Sox fare well because they lock Ortiz into a reasonable contract and control him for up to three additional years, while retaining the flexibility to drop him at the end of one season without incurring a significant Renteria-like sunk cost.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Where have we heard this before?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]I think the new sox gm will quickly want his own team. Ortiz will not be signed and should think about also closing his Boston big sloppy restaurant.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Wrong!!! Think you better reserve your table at big sloppy's restaurant.Don't forget to leave your tip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I doubt any team offers Ortiz three years. He'll have to settle for a max of two. Any yes, all NL teams are out, as well as the Yankees.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston is more likely to wait out and see how much Damon, Vladmir, Thome, etc all signed a contract.  Then Boston can use that leverage pay to make an offer to Papi!!  I know Papi wanted it done now before Papi know that the offer will be lower if Boston take their time!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'd like to keep Ortiz but no more than a year at a time anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's a negotiation guys, what's he supposed to say, "I'll take whatever I can get"?  He wants 3, 1 and an option may get it done, maybe he gets two years somewhere else and uses it as leverage and leaves if he can't get it here. 

If they can get Ortiz signed at reasonable money he helps this team and presents limited risk. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

Ortiz could fit in the Rangers lineup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Jackbu hopes that Papi signs since his forum identity counts on it. What will his role be here if Papi leaves?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Give Ortiz a 1 year contract for $9m with a [team] option for 2013.     At his age he could go downhill fast.     No room for sentamentality on the Sox team.    Everybody's time comes up to go eventually. Ortiz has made more money in baseball that he ever dreamed he could.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDShorty. Show JDShorty's posts

LOL you are all forgetting... We still need a manager. Which LL said is top priority.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE] I AGREE..... IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON .....  MAKE THE D H  A MORE FLEXIBLE POSITION !!!      THANKS DAVID !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Unfortunetly Ben has to deal with Theo's compinsation along with finding a new GM. I would have been very surprised to see him actually find the time to sit down with David face to face and work out a deal. I would say after the compensation is figured out and we  have a GM in place, we can start going after free agents more activtly.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The RS will give a washed up 38 y/o catcher 1 + 1, but will not not sign at 36, a guy who has carried this team for several years a 3 year deal? I do agree that $13M is too much money for a full time DH, but he is worth at least $10M. Offer him $21M for 2 years and a 3rd for a team option of $8M; player option of $4M.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
      I imagine a team would want to get a manager in place before going on a signing frenzy.....

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz has not carried the team the last few years. The sox have gone nowhere with Ortiz so why not take a dot without him. If jason had not been greedy a few years back, he would have got his 10 mil. Arbitration was not his friend. If sloppy wants to play here, he is going to have to sign for a lot less.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Right. His 30 HRs and 100 RBIs mean nothing?
    Because his walk-offs have declined, the fan base wants him to walk away.
    He had his best year hitting LHP and is arguably the best DH in the league. I'll admit that the one dimension is not ideal, but really, he could spell Gonzalez at 1B l as good as anyone else if Youk is not available.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I am not one who is fond of a one dimensional player taking up the DH slot but as a realist...I don't see how the Sox are going to easily replace him in the lineup.  He at least lends some credibility to a shrinking power base that the Sox are being forced to deal with next year.  With money tight and pitching in shambles...most of the money will go to shore up the starting and BP pitching since it appears Paps will also walk.  I honestly believe his heart is with Boston and he would take less to play here if given the chance.