No crying thread

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: No crying thread

In Response to Re: No crying thread:
    [QUOTE]Disposition and DNA. LOL. Obstinate and headstrong. LOL. That's Andrewmitch and Pumpsie for you. Poor souls just can't help being "Chicken Littles" and "Wet Blankets". They can't help themselves, they were born that way.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

And evidently you can't help being a Wet Blanket either.  Your self-awareness is nonexistent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Disposition and DNA. LOL. Obstinate and headstrong. LOL. That's Andrewmitch and Pumpsie for you. Poor souls just can't help being "Chicken Littles" and "Wet Blankets". They can't help themselves, they were born that way.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a self assessment; and accurate.

It's like the Ever-Ready Battery bunny; no matter how many times you get your head handed to you, you just keep on ticking.

It's an odd form of resiliency, which is usually a positive thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No crying thread : Thanks for sharing Antibody.  I understand where you're coming from.  I agree about the sense of entitlement creeping in, and I don't like it.  I want to win as much as the next person, but I realize that winning every year is unrealistic. I am very emotionally invested in the Red Sox.  I do get very excited when they win a big game, and I get pretty down when they lose.  I know it's just a game, and really is not important in the big scheme of things, but I can't help it. As far as being a positive fan or a negative fan, I don't think that really has much to do with how long someone has been a fan.  I've seen positive and negative in the older fans, and I've seen positive and negative in the younger fans.  I think how a person supports or roots for his/her team depends more on that person's disposition, not on how long they have suffered through the bad times.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree Kimmi. Being positive or negative is not necessarily connected to age and is more of a personality trait. I am emotionally invested as well. I get excited when watching a game, no matter where the team might be in the standings. I can't seem to help myself either and I don't want to. The day I stop caring is the day I stop following the team.

Something else I thought of...Before '04 I looked at being a "long suffering" Sox fan as something of an honor. Like a "Red Badge of Courage". Or maybe some sort of penance, like wearing a hair shirt. After '04, happy as I was to finally see them win, in some strange way I felt like I had lost my identity as a Red Sox fan. Winning didn't feel right. Somehow it didn't fit. As odd and perverse as this might sound, I sort of miss that hair shirt. Ask your father about this. I'd be curious to know if any other long time fans have this feeling?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No crying thread : Thanks for getting back to me. I agree Kimmi. Being positive or negative is not necessarily connected to age and is more of a personality trait. I am emotionally invested as well. I get excited when watching a game, no matter where the team might be in the standings. I can't seem to help myself either and I don't want to. The day I stop caring is the day I stop following the team. Something else I thought of...Before '04 I looked at being a "long suffering" Sox fan as something of an honor. Like a "Red Badge of Courage". Or maybe some sort of penance, like wearing a hair shirt. After '04, happy as I was to finally see them win, in some strange way I felt like I had lost my identity as a Red Sox fan. Winning didn't feel right. Somehow it didn't fit. As odd and perverse as this might sound, I sort of miss that hair shirt. Ask your father about this. I'd be curious to know if any other long time fans have this feeling?
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean about the pre 04 identity vs the post 04.  We were the loveable losers and there was a sense of pride in that.  People pulled and rooted for us.

After we won in 04, it was like we didn't know how to behave or what to do with ourselves.  We had lost our identity as the loveable losers or long time sufferers.  We no longer have that trait, or that curse, or that burden, or whatever you want to call it that distinguished us from other teams, and banded us together.  I think many long time fans have lost some of their passion. 

I wouldn't give back 04 for anything, but I understand exactly what you mean about missing that hair shirt.  My dad and I have talked about this before too.
    He has said more or less the same thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I wouldn't trade the series victories for anything either, but there was a change after the first one. Some of my friends and myself talked about it that winter of '04-'05. I joked (well half joked really) that I wanted to wait until after April 1st to be sure that it wasn't some enormous practical joke that the world had played on us. Talk about paranoid!!!Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No crying thread : Thanks for sharing Antibody.  I understand where you're coming from.  I agree about the sense of entitlement creeping in, and I don't like it.  I want to win as much as the next person, but I realize that winning every year is unrealistic. I am very emotionally invested in the Red Sox.  I do get very excited when they win a big game, and I get pretty down when they lose.  I know it's just a game, and really is not important in the big scheme of things, but I can't help it. As far as being a positive fan or a negative fan, I don't think that really has much to do with how long someone has been a fan.  I've seen positive and negative in the older fans, and I've seen positive and negative in the younger fans.  I think how a person supports or roots for his/her team depends more on that person's disposition, not on how long they have suffered through the bad times.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean by "supporting your team" when you post stuff like that. We ALL support our team in different ways. 
    Just wondering Kimmi: who is accountable and responsible for the annual decline in our team pitching since 2007; who is accountable for the fact that after this season is over we won't have made the playoffs for three years running; who is responsible for the fact that our minor league system has no pitching prospects on the near horizon ready to help the team; who is accountable for Pedroia being able to say things like he did before the season began-with impunity. And what should be done to correct these maladies? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinFan1982. Show BostonBruinFan1982's posts

6.5 games out. No problem. Get it to 3 before Sept and we are in it for sure

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; No crying thread:
    [QUOTE]Anyone ever hear the saying "It is what it is"?  Well, it is what it is for better or worse. I'm still in. I don't care how many posters on this board are set on crying and complaining about what is. I especially don't care about the posters who show up here that no one even knows. I'm going to enjoy watching the games and rooting my team on. So there. If you're into whining and complaining about things you cannot change, then this thread is not for you. So, just close it up, and join your pals on the many crying threads that fill the board. Go Sox! 
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Guess this is what is meant by "bumping". I found this thread on page 1 today with the last post (excluding mine) on Aug 18. Childish.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

to say the least, pumsie, the very least. umpires killing this team, is another from 7/15. If you read it, you'll see the issues here, speaking of childish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]to say the least, pumsie, the very least. umpires killing this team, is another from 7/15. If you read it, you'll see the issues here, speaking of childish.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I think Boston Dottie ought to appoint a moderator to correct some of that stuff. I doubt that BDC has any interest in doing that, nor any funding.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]6.5 games out. No problem. Get it to 3 before Sept and we are in it for sure
    Posted by BostonBruinFan1982[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen. That would require TB, Balt, Oak and Detroit all to slump.

Oh yeah, and the Red Sox would need to win more than 2 games in a row, which hasn't happened in a while. Funny post though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; No crying thread:
    [QUOTE]Anyone ever hear the saying "It is what it is"?  Well, it is what it is for better or worse. I'm still in. I don't care how many posters on this board are set on crying and complaining about what is. I especially don't care about the posters who show up here that no one even knows. I'm going to enjoy watching the games and rooting my team on. So there. If you're into whining and complaining about things you cannot change, then this thread is not for you. So, just close it up, and join your pals on the many crying threads that fill the board. Go Sox! 
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:;
    [QUOTE]

Anyone ever hear the saying "It is what it is"?  Well, it is what it is for better or worse. I'm still in. I don't care how many posters on this board are set on crying and complaining about what is. I especially don't care about the posters who show up here that no one even knows. I'm going to enjoy watching the games and rooting my team on. So there.

If you're into whining and complaining about things you cannot change, then this thread is not for you. So, just close it up, and join your pals on the many crying threads that fill the board. Go Sox! Smile

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump