No Dice and no Lackey- will this hurt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

No Dice and no Lackey- will this hurt?

Both are allegedly troubled by their right arms. To make matters worse is that we read  that John has family problems.
    Both will be back, but in the mean time we have Timmy and Aceves (sp). For a few weeks we should hold our own but Josh left his last start early due to some ailment. The question to be answered is in the long run. I wonder if the pitching can hold up? Short run may be ok if Jon picks up a little and Buch plus Josh must be on their game. Since today is dooms day, the question may be mute, but I would like your thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Re: No Dice and no Lackey- will this hurt?

One Game at a Time Brotha, One Game at a time!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Overall, yes it hurts but if you are stuck with 2 injured starters, might as well have it be those too.  If someone else goes down though then we'd have to worry.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I don't see this as a bad thing. As I said in another thread, Dice and Lackey had something like a 6.70 ERA between them...our fill-in starters may actually be better for the time being, and if those two guys can get their issues straightened out and come back ready to win games again, we'll be in even better shape.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

depends on how well Ace and whoever else(Wake?)steps in,it puts a bit of pressure on everyone, you guys still need Beckett, CBuch, and Lester to pitch well and also remain healthy, but like PB101 said, don't look to far ahead, take care of Sat. before you worry about Mon. and Tues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

It could definitely be a problem for the Red Sox if they are both out for an extended period of time.  Just not sure how the other starters are going to do.  Although, anyone that pitches for Lackey couldn't be much worse.  Hopefully, he will be better when he returns. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

Typical Lackey line: 4 2/3 innings, 7 runs 10 hits.
    Typical Dice K. line: 5 innings, 5 runs, 110 pitches.

This is not hard to replace.  I would be more concerned about Bard (who I still say is the next Kyle Farneworth), Wheeler, and Jenks.  The bullpen was supposed to be solid...more reliable than this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So the old saying applies.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you may get it."

Many people were wishing for Lackey and Matsuzaka to be removed from the roster.

Now, let's all wish that May 21 is not the end of creation. At least where human beings are concerned. More precisely , human beings on planet Earth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Of course it's a problem. Does anyone want Wakefield starting for an extended period of time at this point? Who knows what you get with Aceves. The money being paid to Matusaka and Lackey to pitch the way they have is mind numbing. Still, one would hope that at least one of the two returns to mediocrity and one can't expect much from a fifth starter anyway so... as long as the front three hold up the starters as a group should be ok (there is always the potential to pick someone up later on to make ten starts). As Gready pointed out, the bullpen is an even larger concern. Horrible start for Bard/Jenks/Wheeler and that seemed to be a team strength... With the exception of Crawford and Drew the hitters seem to be rounding into form, however, and there's too much talent here for them not to be in the hunt come playoff time. With that lineup have to like the front three in the playoffs up against anyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lowrie to the Giants for Jonathan Sanchez

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It hurts, but hurts less because it's those two and not Lester, Beckett, or Buchholz. 

Wakefield still has a great knuckler, but only when it moves and the umpire calls strikes.  Aceves is anybody's guess.  Neither one is likely to get thru six innings, which puts a strain on the bullpen. 

I think Lackey and Matsuzaka can still contribute, but it's clear both need to be on the DL right now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Based on what he has shown us, not having Lackey may actually help.

Sections
Shortcuts