No Lance B

Hope Napoli signs soon.....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: No Lance B

BC...did I say that?.....whiner..lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Makes Napoli's deal look a little less like an overpay, particularly if the Sox end up adding some language that shortens the deal if the case of injury, or makes him play for league minimum if he loses a year due to injury (as was the case with Lackey).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Texas needed something.  Good grab.  It won't keep the folks around here from pining about the Cowboys, but something is better than nothing!

He should be a good influence with the youngsters the Rangers are working into their team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Whoa, that is a whole lot of money.  I liked him for $5-6M, and even that hardly seemed worth it, though he'd have been a realy nice backup fit for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Whoa, that is a whole lot of money.  I liked him for $5-6M, and even that hardly seemed worth it, though he'd have been a realy nice backup fit for us.

Would have been a good fit for RS. 1B and corner OF'er and DH on days Papi needs off day would have been a good fit. But like I always say just can't assume someone will come play in Boston even if you offer more $. He wanted to play back in Texas and got his wish. Good for him. To many posters [not u Joe] on this board think getting players to play for RS is like buying a car just put the $ down and its yours. Forget there is the human element [family, climate, hometown, comfort level, etc]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Hope Napoli signs soon.....

No Lance? ....Hope broken down Napoli signs real soon ??? Get a life and get out of here. Stupid stuid stupid..........

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I would have been okay with Berkman for one year at the right price.  $10 mil seems like a lot, not to mention the vesting option that he also received for 2014 (I believe).

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I like Berkman, but rotoworld.com acknowledged the Sox internest was a longshot due to geography.    I had Texas native Berkman pegged to return to the Astros.  Well I had the right state....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I wanted Berkman like many. However, the more he talked in the off season, the less he  sounded like he even wanted to play. I felt he sounded almost exactly like Roy Oswalt did. And we saw how that turned out. So I just wonder if he even wants to play.

As for money, I expected him to get 7-8 million. Eleven million is much more then I expected. If he is healthy and wants to play, he still might be worth it. I have my doubts though.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:

So the Sox should of out bid the Rangers for him at 10-11 million?

Actually, I think the Sox were in on him and 10-11M isn't excessive, but he wanted to be near his home when he hangs it up.
    I was just glad to see us show interest. I'm sure he will be an asset to Texas as long as it's not against us whn we play them.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

He was never going to come here to be a backup.  LaRoche and Napoli are both better options....So, he never made sense.

Also: I disagree that we should be looking for a 1 yr plug.  You guys are not going to want Michael Morse next year (we are going to be talking about a Nick Swisher - esque contract for a 32 yr old w injury issues).  Sans Michael Morse, the 1b free agent market for next yr isnt even as good as it is this year.  We need someone to cover for multiple years.

That may include a trade for and resigning of Morse; however, please be advised that he will not be cheap

A trade for Billy Butler

LaRoche

Napoli...

...However, I do not want a 1 yr option.  We will find ourselves in this exact spot next year.

Im against moving Middlebrooks to first as well.  LaRoche is better, so why hurt yourself at 3B when you can just sign LaRoche and keep Middlebrooks where he is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

He was never going to come here to be a backup.  LaRoche and Napoli are both better options....So, he never made sense.

Also: I disagree that we should be looking for a 1 yr plug.  You guys are not going to want Michael Morse next year (we are going to be talking about a Nick Swisher - esque contract for a 32 yr old w injury issues).  Sans Michael Morse, the 1b free agent market for next yr isnt even as good as it is this year.  We need someone to cover for multiple years.

That may include a trade for and resigning of Morse; however, please be advised that he will not be cheap

A trade for Billy Butler

LaRoche

Napoli...

...However, I do not want a 1 yr option.  We will find ourselves in this exact spot next year.

Im against moving Middlebrooks to first as well.  LaRoche is better, so why hurt yourself at 3B when you can just sign LaRoche and keep Middlebrooks where he is.

The Napoli deal will get done...There is obviously significant due dilligence on each side involving multiple doctors, attorneys, etc., so a "quick" resolution was never really a possibility.  If for some reason it blows up, they'll likely re-visit every trade option before they surrender the pick for LaRoche, which I don't think they would ever do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I would have been okay with Berkman for one year at the right price.  $10 mil seems like a lot, not to mention the vesting option that he also received for 2014 (I believe).

Agree. $10 million seems like a ton for a guy who will be 37 and played in 32 games last season.

Are the days gone when you could buy low on a guy coming off injury or a bad season? (I'm thinking of the $12 million Youkilis got as well.) Or maybe that is buying low in the current market.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

A trade for Billy Butler

LaRoche

Napoli...

The Napoli deal will get done...There is obviously significant due dilligence on each side involving multiple doctors, attorneys, etc., so a "quick" resolution was never really a possibility.  If for some reason it blows up, they'll likely re-visit every trade option before they surrender the pick for LaRoche, which I don't think they would ever do.

My only problem with a trade is that all the trade options that I am hearing are for guys on 1 yr deals (Morneau, Morse).  Considering the Torotnto/NY Mets , Red Sox/ Dodgers, KC/TB trades, it appears that the going rate for a proven ML player is your best prospects.

Considering Ben's style, I'm not sure that he'd be willing to do this.  And I would kind of agree that sacrificing a second rd pick for LaRoche is a lesser evil than giving up 2 of your top 5 prospects for a 1 yr rental.  

Especially considering that we'd have LaRoche for multiple years.

I'm okay with trading for Morse if we can extend him and I'm okay with trading for Butler (as long as Lester and Buchh are not part of the deal).  However, I'd rather punt the second rd pick than overpay for Morneau.  LaRoche is better anyways.

The best option, in my opinion, is to work it out w Napoli (assuming the holdup is injury speculation and not an already existing real / untreatable injury).

I just hope that we are treating Napoli's hip while we are negotiating.  A) It would be a sign of good faith and b) if we are not treating him, we are missing out on some valuable off-season recovery time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox never had a chance. It was either Texas or retirment.

Assuming Napoli is damaged goods, which given that they made the offer on December 3rd and it's 35 days later, lower the amount of the deal and shorten it. He won't get anything from anyone else at this point.

Ben C - Negotiate from the standpoint of power. Napoli has no leverage.

Sections
Shortcuts