No Lance B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: No Lance B

Im against moving Middlebrooks to first as well.  LaRoche is better, so why hurt yourself at 3B when you can just sign LaRoche and keep Middlebrooks where he is.

Maybe becuase Middlebrooks might not be the defensive 3Bman many of us hope he is (or will become). Maybe 3B is the best landing spot for Bogaerts. (Remember folks, I am saying "maybe" here and not making definitive judgements on small sample sizes.)

I suppose time will tell, but the longer we wait to switch Bogaert's position, the longer it will take for him to get to the bigs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im against moving Middlebrooks to first as well.  LaRoche is better, so why hurt yourself at 3B when you can just sign LaRoche and keep Middlebrooks where he is.

Maybe becuase Middlebrooks might not be the defensive 3Bman many of us hope he is (or will become). Maybe 3B is the best landing spot for Bogaerts. (Remember folks, I am saying "maybe" here and not making definitive judgements on small sample sizes.)

I suppose time will tell, but the longer we wait to switch Bogaert's position, the longer it will take for him to get to the bigs.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Boegarts.  He should be moved to either 3B or LF this year.  If the possibility you outline comes to fruition (Boegarts surpasses Middlebrooks on the third base depth chart), I would rather trade Middlebrooks than turn him into a below average first baseman (offensively and defensively).

I think he would have good trade value.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Boegarts.  He should be moved to either 3B or LF this year.  If the possibility you outline comes to fruition (Boegarts surpasses Middlebrooks on the third base depth chart), I would rather trade Middlebrooks than turn him into a below average first baseman (offensively and defensively).

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks may be an above average 1Bman. His main issue at 3B seems to be his arm accuracy. When I mentioned Bogaerts maybe being better than Middlebrooks at 3B, I meant defensively only...not "on the depth charts".

I don't see putting Bogaerts in LF as a good idea. I think 3B or maybe even 1B is best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks may be an above average 1Bman. His main issue at 3B seems to be his arm accuracy. When I mentioned Bogaerts maybe being better than Middlebrooks at 3B, I meant defensively only...not "on the depth charts".

I don't see putting Bogaerts in LF as a good idea. I think 3B or maybe even 1B is best.

[/QUOTE]

Boegarts offensive ceiling is much higher than Middlebrooks.  Boegarts has lightning quick wrists and crazy bat speed.  Middlebrooks has a long , swooping swing.  Boegarts is also more athletic.  Obviously, Middlebrooks has a much higher offensive floor, as he has proven that he can hold his own in the Majors.

Middlebrooks may be an okay defensive first baseman.  But I see him settling into a .270 , 25 HR hitter.  Something similar to LaRoche, with more K's and worse D.  Middlebrooks has a good work ethic, so he may be able to cut down on the Ks.

There is no need to make a decision on either because Boegarts is not ready, and until he steals teh job from Middlebrooks, we should prob keep Middy.

However, it isnt a stretch to think that Boegarts will be our starting 3B in 2014 or 2015.  If this happens, I think trading Middy is our best bet.  If Middy grows as a hitter and learns to cut down on the Ks , maybe move him to first.  However, if Middy in 2015 is the Middy we  see now; I think he would have more value on another team than as our first baseman.  Good thirdbaseman arent easy to come by.  If they were, Youk would not have gotten 12M.

Sections
Shortcuts