No Major Trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

No Major Trades

I think it would be foolish to move any of the sox better prospects, even for a big name like Stanton, until at least the half way point next season. Stay the course, it's how a team can remain competitive long term, rather than going out and slapping band aids on big problems with bloated contracts that could maybe buy a very limited window, and create headaches in the future. Keep the kids and let them develop. Bogey at SS, JBJ in CF. Be patient with Owens and Swihart, and the other young pitchers, don't rush their development. Give Ranaudo a good long look as a major league starter. Consider moving Victorino, and take a look at Betts in the outfield, to compliment Cespedes and JBJ. Use the majority of next season to identify the core group of young players, both in the minor leagues and in the major leagues. Select the group that will take the franchise forward for the future, and then augment the team with trades of prospects that can be lived without. Give the fringe guys ample time, the guys like Middlebrooks. If he doesn't turn it around by the all-star break, get rid of him and find another solution at 3B. This plan may take the team out of playoff contention for 2015, but will have them in championship contention for 2016 and beyond. If they move all the prospects, and spend big in free agency, they'll be right back here in 2-3 years, but without the prospects. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: No Major Trades

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it would be foolish to move any of the sox better prospects, even for a big name like Stanton, until at least the half way point next season. Stay the course, it's how a team can remain competitive long term, rather than going out and slapping band aids on big problems with bloated contracts that could maybe buy a very limited window, and create headaches in the future. Keep the kids and let them develop. Bogey at SS, JBJ in CF. Be patient with Owens and Swihart, and the other young pitchers, don't rush their development. Give Ranaudo a good long look as a major league starter. Consider moving Victorino, and take a look at Betts in the outfield, to compliment Cespedes and JBJ. Use the majority of next season to identify the core group of young players, both in the minor leagues and in the major leagues. Select the group that will take the franchise forward for the future, and then augment the team with trades of prospects that can be lived without. Give the fringe guys ample time, the guys like Middlebrooks. If he doesn't turn it around by the all-star break, get rid of him and find another solution at 3B. This plan may take the team out of playoff contention for 2015, but will have them in championship contention for 2016 and beyond. If they move all the prospects, and spend big in free agency, they'll be right back here in 2-3 years, but without the prospects. 

[/QUOTE]

If that was a idea for a movie ,BAD NEWS BEARS comes to mind, it might be successful. However, in real life, that plan would insure the SOX as non-contenders for years. A major trade or FA's is imperative to get this team out of the basement. Use these prospects to get some proven players. And, btw, forget about Middlebrooks; he's DOA. 

The only prospects I would hesitate trading are Owens and Renaudo. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If that was a idea for a movie ,BAD NEWS BEARS comes to mind, it might be successful. However, in real life, that plan would insure the SOX as non-contenders for years. A major trade or FA's is imperative to get this team out of the basement. Use these prospects to get some proven players. And, btw, forget about Middlebrooks; he's DOA. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not opposed to an fa, just not one to sign just to get a player. If it's someone they want, and that is good for the club long term go for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Quote:

QUOTE:

Your post makes perfect sense in so many ways but we simply don't have the right players.  Betts, Nava, Holt, Shane, Ces, JBJ and Craig simply can't co-exist in the OF.  If we move Nap in favor of Craig we then lose depth at 1B and DH in the event Papi or Nap get hurt so we may as well keep Nap until his contract expires unless absolutely necessary.  Middy, Bogy, Holt, Cecchini and everyone else we currently have tried at 3B have one weakness or another that also hurt our club.  Bogy and Holt mirror that thought at SS which possibly places yet another youngster into the equation "Marrero" as it does Vasquez and Swihart at catcher who also need more time to develop with Ross pretty much useless offensively as a mentor.  So in reality only Pede, Papi and Nap own every day positions entering next season along with possibly a healthy Shane is much more important than almost all of our current OF's.  Staying the course means we once again hope some youngsters develop at positions many simply don't fit in before Papi, Nap and Shane are all probably gone.  We can't go into next season in our present state without some real long term help at key positions.

We can do this without killing our farm but need a few youngsters to begin playing better so their trade value doesn't keep dropping.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

This is the VERY BEST statement that I have read, not only in regards to the current Red Sox situation, but to ALL boston sports situations. You nailed it. Thank you. And pleases all.......can we finally do it right. And set up a Patriots type Red Sox team for the next 20 years or so. That requires growing pains and patience. Something which I've not seen much of here. Enjoy watching grow the next group that will take us to the next championship. Support them...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-There is merit to waiting for halfway thru the season for no other reason than to see if we are any good.  If we're .500, it would make more sense to wait until year-end.

2-It will also give us some time to see we have.  We will have Cespedes, JBJ, Craig, Vic, and Betts as possibilities,.  If we have some health, it might not be necessary.

3-OTOH, if he is on the market, we might be forced to make a move before someone else does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are kidding ? Are you not ? Both Renaudo and Owens have proven Zero. NOTHING. Boggie was the one last year that you wouldn't trade. Now you will ? Why....because he's struggled at 21. All of you need to get a grip on this game. At the first sign of a struggle you DO NOT give up on prospects. I've seen more prospect bandwagon jumping off and on in the last 2 years on this board than the prior 40 years of following this game combined. Do you people on here really understand this game ??????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the VERY BEST statement that I have read, not only in regards to the current Red Sox situation, but to ALL boston sports situations. You nailed it. Thank you. And pleases all.......can we finally do it right. And set up a Patriots type Red Sox team for the next 20 years or so. That requires growing pains and patience. Something which I've not seen much of here. Enjoy watching grow the next group that will take us to the next championship. Support them...

[/QUOTE]

thanks. I would actually say it's more like the Bruins model, identify your core young players, in the bruins case it was Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, Tuukka etc, and then augment it with what you need. Nathan Horton through trade, Zdeno Chara through free agency, Dennis Seidenberg through trade. Take the players that have value that just aren't right for your team (granted, hockey is WAY more subjective than baseball), like Kessel and Seguin, and maximize their value for players and prospects the organization covets. Don't destroy the depth for one player, unless the market is crazy good. I think the following players should be untouchable until after the all star break: Owens, Ranaudo, Betts, Bogey, JBJ. Here's the thing, if this doesn't work for immediate success next year, that's okay. Then you have more assets that you can move, and get prospects that you can THEN spin into a big league player now that the in house prospects are closer to being impact players. Napoli, Victorino, Koji, these guys should be available if the team struggles next year. Then all of a sudden you have a young major league ready pitching staff, hopefully anchored by a vet (please let him be named Lester).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are kidding ? Are you not ? Both Renaudo and Owens have proven Zero. NOTHING. Boggie was the one last year that you wouldn't trade. Now you will ? Why....because he's struggled at 21. All of you need to get a grip on this game. At the first sign of a struggle you DO NOT give up on prospects. I've seen more prospect bandwagon jumping off and on in the last 2 years on this board than the prior 40 years of following this game combined. Do you people on here really understand this game ??????

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't give a rat's azz what the SOX FO does. I just want a SOX team that is either very good or very bad. I can enjoy either. I just don't want a mediocre .500 team; that would be a bore. Like you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

JBJ and Middlebrooks will not be regulars next year for the Sox.  Both should be in AAA to learn to hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't give a rat's azz what the SOX FO does. I just want a SOX team that is either very good or very bad. I can enjoy either. I just don't want a mediocre .500 team; that would be a bore. Like you.

[/QUOTE]

Haha...bore ? Why ? Because your an idiot and no diddly about the game of baseball ? Trade Boggy, Webster, Betts, JBJ, And the rest and see where that gets ya you fool. STICK IT dude...there's ya bore....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JBJ and Middlebrooks will not be regulars next year for the Sox.  Both should be in AAA to learn to hit.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Both positions will be filled by others next year. A vet at 3rd and Betts in cf is my guess. A Ramerez would be a good stop gap at 3 rd for a year or 2 I think...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha...bore ? Why ? Because your an idiot and no diddly about the game of baseball ? Trade Boggy, Webster, Betts, JBJ, And the rest and see where that gets ya you fool. STICK IT dude...there's ya bore....

[/QUOTE]

Looks like I hit a nerve, slug. Btw, GO TO HELSINKI.

Also, genius, it's either BOGEY or BOGIE; it's not BOGGY. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Prospects are what they are.... Failed really bad this year and so by bringing the circus out again next year will make Sox much better? What part of full year and they suck don't you get...? MIDDY, JBJ. BOGGY , Did not improve one bit... if anything looked horrible all year.....Rather spend and take our chances.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Quote: Nava is not depth from all star game 2013-14 he had less RBI tha JBJ has right now in 2014 Nava got to go  now

QUOTE:

Your post makes perfect sense in so many ways but we simply don't have the right players.  Betts, Nava, Holt, Shane, Ces, JBJ and Craig simply can't co-exist in the OF.  If we move Nap in favor of Craig we then lose depth at 1B and DH in the event Papi or Nap get hurt so we may as well keep Nap until his contract expires unless absolutely necessary.  Middy, Bogy, Holt, Cecchini and everyone else we currently have tried at 3B have one weakness or another that also hurt our club.  Bogy and Holt mirror that thought at SS which possibly places yet another youngster into the equation "Marrero" as it does Vasquez and Swihart at catcher who also need more time to develop with Ross pretty much useless offensively as a mentor.  So in reality only Pede, Papi and Nap own every day positions entering next season along with possibly a healthy Shane is much more important than almost all of our current OF's.  Staying the course means we once again hope some youngsters develop at positions many simply don't fit in before Papi, Nap and Shane are all probably gone.  We can't go into next season in our present state without some real long term help at key positions.

We can do this without killing our farm but need a few youngsters to begin playing better so their trade value doesn't keep dropping.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm sorry I completely disagree with this thread. First of all, the youngsters have proven very little to be used as even trade bait. Is it growing pains for some? Sure, probably for Xander. But in all honesty, I don't see Bradley becoming a hitter. I don't see Holt anything more than a utility player with no power, no RBI. Vasquez may have a future but he's another no power guy, which means probably no RBI either. Middlebrooks simply needs to be DFA'ed and permanently take his place as a failed prospect. The team's young players are not very good. That's my impression. You can blame it on youth, rushing someone, etc, but the performance level of the young players has been inadequate. I don't see keepers. What I see is a team that has to make a ton of MLB roster moves to have a MLB ready roster in 2015. The best Sox teams simply had a few young guys mixed in with 20-22 veterans. Since the pitching staff seems to have some of the best youngsters--De La Rosa, Webster, Renaudo, you can pretty much eliminate the kiddie field corps. They just are not very good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm sorry I completely disagree with this thread. First of all, the youngsters have proven very little to be used as even trade bait. Is it growing pains for some? Sure, probably for Xander. But in all honesty, I don't see Bradley becoming a hitter. I don't see Holt anything more than a utility player with no power, no RBI. Vasquez may have a future but he's another no power guy, which means probably no RBI either. Middlebrooks simply needs to be DFA'ed and permanently take his place as a failed prospect. The team's young players are not very good. That's my impression. You can blame it on youth, rushing someone, etc, but the performance level of the young players has been inadequate. I don't see keepers. What I see is a team that has to make a ton of MLB roster moves to have a MLB ready roster in 2015. The best Sox teams simply had a few young guys mixed in with 20-22 veterans. Since the pitching staff seems to have some of the best youngsters--De La Rosa, Webster, Renaudo, you can pretty much eliminate the kiddie field corps. They just are not very good.

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you are. You think signing Lester would be collusion. If you agreed me with me I'd question myself

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You should question yourself since you opened yourself up with this stand-pat thread.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You should question yourself since you opened yourself up with this stand-pat thread.

[/QUOTE]

Opened myself up? You think I'm afraid of criticism or something? It's an anonymous Internet forum, I think I'm okay opening myself up. Bottom line is that every single good player in the mlb was at one point in time, a prospect. Last time I checked I don't think the sox were full of 20+ million dollar position players the front office traded all their prospects for. Unless you want the team to spend like the yanks, gotta develop the kids. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The kids who are "developing" are showing us nothing at the MLB level. No home runs, no RBI, no batting average, very little OBP to speak of, no stolen bases. Yes, I agree with you that many, many baseball players started out as prospects. And the Red Sox have won 3 WS titles by doing what? Filling the MLB roster with veteran players and having very few prospects...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like I hit a nerve, slug. Btw, GO TO HELSINKI.

Also, genius, it's either BOGEY or BOGIE; it's not BOGGY. 

[/QUOTE]

HELSINKI.....nah, I'll meet you on D street. SLUG.......your a punk and everyone knows it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

^^^^^ what he said.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

^^^^^ what he said.

"
    "What he said." Hey, Hugh, do you really think anyone in the FO reads your self-important, sluggish posts? I know you think you're a know-it-all, but, in reality, you're just another boring poster who does nothing but apologize for this inept franchise.

[/QUOTE]

when have I ever claimed to "know it all"????  I know what I know.  A lawyer knows he knows law better than anyone else, a printer knows he knows printer more than anyone else, a doctor knows he knows medicine better than anything else....you make it painfully obvious that you DON'T know what you're talking about when talking about prospects and player development and you don't even know that you don't know.  I disagree with many people in here, and if I've ever offended any of them I'm sorry, but at least people who I disagree with at times like Gerome and others actually come in here to discuss baseball, and I respect them for that.  All you do is make snarky comments and follow certain posters around and harass them.  Seriously, you are the most pointless poster in here....what are you even doing in a baseball forum???

You call me boring?? I call you irrelevant to a baseball discussion.

Sections
Shortcuts