no panic.just the truth.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: no panic.just the truth.

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Either Sizemore or JBJ should lead off.  Re-sign Drew now, we need a good infielder and a clutch hitter.

Very badly.

If the news isn't good on PD, I think we may see Drew back in Boston.

The problem we have with that is the same one we had with catching.  This team doesn't want to sign a middle IF (or a catcher) to a long term deal when we have so many solid prospects in the minors.  

And you can bet that if Boras and Drew find out that we NEED Drew back they'll hold the Sox feet to the fire for a multi-year high $$ contract - which is exactly what the Sox FO doesn't want to have happen.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to stinkman's comment:

agree, but the boston media is saying speed is over rated. They act like losing ellsbury is not a big deal.. no he is NOT worth that money, but lets not be blind to the fact he is easy to replace. The old saying goes hitters go into slumps but speed does not.

Speed is not necessarily overrated, but stolen bases are.

Ironically, Ellsbury's speed likely cost the Yankees a run in last night's game, not that it mattered in the end.

His speed didn't nearly cost them a game , but his stupidity cost them a run. 

Having too much money in your bank account causes brain damage. Look at A-Rod and tell me that's not true.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to soxyjim's comment:

the sox are not as good as we want them to be.as they say you are what

your record is.the truth is that this team will not have a good record this

year.this will be a tough year for us sox fans but as always i will be with

them all the way.thats the truth.

The Sox must find a competent leadoff hitter to get their offense going. With Dustin P. soon to go to the DL, Mookie Betts could be that guy.

In last night's game, can somebody please explain to me why the Sox 3rd base coach sent that runner home from second on Sizemore's single? That runner had no chance to score. Dumb play.

The pitching will improve...but the offense needs to get going. The Sox are leaving too many runners stranded.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Either Sizemore or JBJ should lead off.  Re-sign Drew now, we need a good infielder and a clutch hitter.

Very badly.

So Drew will play 2B? We have a SS and a 3B. Also, as someone mentioned below, if Borass smells blood he will insist on a long term contract for Drew, and we should not bite on that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

chocking has not started.....yet.

You have to achieve something first to be able to chock. Can't chock from last place.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, I'd like to see him back too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Panic when the Sox are 2 games out of first place would be downright silly.

As for the truth, who the heck knows what that is?  The offense ain't so hot, which is unusual for the Sox, but it's still early plus Middlebrooks and Vic have been out, and Pedroia has apparently been struggling at the plate because of the wrist.  Doubront survived last night, but did not impress me one bit.  But overall I like the pitching.

I'm wondering, to be honest, how the president and owner see all this.  Last year the faux sold out streak finally ended and the Sox attendance rightfully went down because of the 2012, 2011, etc.  This year it should go back up, so management raised the ticket prices to the highest in MLB, which tells me management wants to win this year.  Maybe not the WS but enough to get into the playoffs. 

Nevertheless, the rule seems to be not to overspend on veterans--Drew, Lester, Ellsbury--and apparently not to overspend on guys from other teams, guys like Stanton.   So the new guys this year are Pierzynski, one year contract and Sizemore, ditto.  Plus the rookies.  Plus the guys waiting in the wings at Pawtucket and Portland. 

On the other hand, these are the defending world champions who temporarily are missing some pieces. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

They miss Victorino and Middlebrooks something fierce.  Period.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Very badly.

So Drew will play 2B? We have a SS and a 3B. Also, as someone mentioned below, if Borass smells blood he will insist on a long term contract for Drew, and we should not bite on that.

Last year, Remy and Orsillo mentioned Drews versalility, more than once,  because he could play the entire infield. If he could master SS, he could play second, no? At this point, I'm not sure Bora$$ is in any position to be holding anyone's feet to the fire. It was reported Drew wanted to return to Boston and may step up and make his own decision, which I'm thinking he wished he has done, at the onset

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Very badly.

The problem we have with that is the same one we had with catching.  This team doesn't want to sign a middle IF (or a catcher) to a long term deal when we have so many solid prospects in the minors.  

And you can bet that if Boras and Drew find out that we NEED Drew back they'll hold the Sox feet to the fire for a multi-year high $$ contract - which is exactly what the Sox FO doesn't want to have happen.  

On the other hand, the season is two weeks old and apparently Boras' phone isn't ringing off the hook regarding Drew.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

For all the frustration of the first two weeks, we're two games out of first place. "Panic" should not even come up in the conversation this early.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

As Boston fans, we naturally tend to overreact to adversity.  When player X is in a slump, no matter the sport, player X sux and needs to be replaced.  When one of our teams is struggling and not in first place or winning every year, the team needs to be overhauled.  Over the last decade we have been privileged to see our teams win year in and year out.  I think it’s instilled a bit of an entitled vibe to our fans and thus we overreact when the team or a certain player is struggling.

I honestly believe the Sox will be fine.  We are only 2 weeks into the season and are 2 games out of first place.  Two of the games this past weekend could have gone either way.  The boys are hitting just fine but the situational hitting is simply not there.  Also, how many warning track flyouts have we had over the first two weeks?  When the weather gets warmer, those balls are homers.  Middy, Victorino and Pedroia returning to the lineup will give the offense a much needed jolt. 

I’m not expecting the same type of magic as last year, but I do expect these boys to be competing until the end of the season.  As a fan, that's all I can ask.  Go Sox 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Very badly.

On the other hand, the season is two weeks old and apparently Boras' phone isn't ringing off the hook regarding Drew.

I'm now of the opinion that there may be more than one team waiting until after the draft before signing Drew.  It also wouldn't surprise me if there's already been a handshake deal made with some team for Drew if he's still available after draft day.  

I'm hoping JB is right and Drew steps up and makes his own decision, but I always hope for that with Boras' clients and I'm frequently disappointed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

If you look at the line up.  Sox are missing 4 starters from last years championship team.  Ellsbury, Victorino, Middlebrooks and Drew.  Thats a huge chunk of your offense.  Thats almost half the batting order.  I think that might equal a losing record for most teams.  I for one would like Drew on the team.  He plays good defense and can hit decently for a middle infielder.  He is a good baseball player and he give you some insurance for injury.  The problem is Boros as it was with Ellsbury.  Its going to take a while for this team to play well with many players out.  Don't discount Victorino's importance to last years success either.   I guess if 2 of the 4 are back and healthy and Boergarts plays well we are really only lacking a Ellsburys speed at the top of the line  and steady play in center.  JBJ might be a wash on D but he is no match for on the bases or at the bat yet and he may never be.  So I too believe the Sox have their work cut out for them this year but I will root for them each game and hate the yankees as always for buying yet another Sox player.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think Boras makes the final decision for his clients. He negotiates and recommends , but the decision whether to take the offer is always up to the player. I have to think that Drew rejected the Q.O. of his own volition. And , I think the Sox made the Q.O. fully expecting him to reject it. I would be surprised if they now offered him anything close to that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I don't think Boras makes the final decision for his clients. He negotiates and recommends , but the decision whether to take the offer is always up to the player. I have to think that Drew rejected the Q.O. of his own volition. And , I think the Sox made the Q.O. fully expecting him to reject it. I would be surprised if they now offered him anything close to that.

Dale.....Boros has the reputation that you go to the highest bidder period.  He may not make the final decision but if you sign with him that what you agreed to.  Ellsbury was never going to sign with Boston because of this factor from the start.  Drew although different went for the money on the open market at Boros suggestion. I would like to have Drew back at a fair price.  The QO was high even for one year but that was a good deal for Drew and he blew it off.   I know its a business and money always wins out in any business and I am sure there are many other factors I know nothing about that makes up the contract situation. Just venting

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Very badly.

Last year, Remy and Orsillo mentioned Drews versalility, more than once,  because he could play the entire infield. If he could master SS, he could play second, no? At this point, I'm not sure Bora$$ is in any position to be holding anyone's feet to the fire. It was reported Drew wanted to return to Boston and may step up and make his own decision, which I'm thinking he wished he has done, at the onset

Drew started in the minor leagues in 2005, and has never played a single inning outside of SS.

And unless someone is injured l/t, I doubt we are signing Drew for $14M to fill for a couple of weeks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Defense.  It is still important.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

defense may have ended that game last night but a poor offense from the first 3 lost it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Sections
Shortcuts