No pitch clock! But what else?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

No pitch clock! But what else?

Many people are lamenting the length of games today, but I am firmly opposed to any introduction of a clock into baseball. It would change the character of the game forever.

Of course this begs the question: What else could we do?

I'd love to hear some "outside the box" ideas that could be tweaked or modified to accomplish this without a clock, so I'll throw out a couple and volunteer to be stoned in the process.

Batters today most foul away a lot of pitches that they'd really rather not swing at but MUST swing away for fear of being called out looking. I partially blame the umpires for this because the strike zone is so irregular.

So one possible idea is this: After two strikes, have a modified strike zone that is clearly smaller in some way. The understanding might be that NO PART of the ball must pass outside the plate. The up-down parts of the zone would also be tighter.

The offset would be foul-tips on third strikes would be just like bunt attempts. You put it in play or you're out.

This would dramatically reduce the number of pitches in a game, and require greater control on the part of pitchers, who might reasonably be expected to have it as a result of throwing many fewer pitches.

The offensive flip side is that you might have an offsetting increase in walks as batters might bet that the pitcher couldn't hit the smaller strike zone.

And alternatively, given better pitches to hit on third strikes, you might expect to see more balls in play generating offense.

This is an example of an "outside the box" fix that would speed up the game without resorting to a clock.

I'm sure there are many better no-clock ideas out there, so don't hesitate to throw stones at mine, as long as you have something else to offer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Re: No pitch clock! But what else?

In Response to No pitch clock! But what else?:
    Many people are lamenting the length of games today, but I am firmly opposed to any introduction of a clock into baseball. It would change the character of the game forever. Of course this begs the question: What else could we do? I'd love to hear some "outside the box" ideas that could be tweaked or modified to accomplish this without a clock, so I'll throw out a couple and volunteer to be stoned in the process. Batters today most foul away a lot of pitches that they'd really rather not swing at but MUST swing away for fear of being called out looking. I partially blame the umpires for this because the strike zone is so irregular. So one possible idea is this: After two strikes, have a modified strike zone that is clearly smaller in some way. The understanding might be that NO PART of the ball must pass outside the plate. The up-down parts of the zone would also be tighter. The offset would be foul-tips on third strikes would be just like bunt attempts. You put it in play or you're out. This would dramatically reduce the number of pitches in a game, and require greater control on the part of pitchers, who might reasonably be expected to have it as a result of throwing many fewer pitches. The offensive flip side is that you might have an offsetting increase in walks as batters might bet that the pitcher couldn't hit the smaller strike zone. And alternatively, given better pitches to hit on third strikes, you might expect to see more balls in play generating offense. This is an example of an "outside the box" fix that would speed up the game without resorting to a clock. I'm sure there are many better no-clock ideas out there, so don't hesitate to throw stones at mine, as long as you have something else to offer.
    Posted by lasitter

You don't want a clock because it would change the character of the game, but you want a different strike zone when there's two strikes and guys to be out for fouling it off?  This is crazy talk.

PS "Begs the question" doesn't mean what you are using it for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

more crazy talk

- 4 foul balls and U R out

- start those certain players with a full count

you know they will end up there anyways

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Re: No pitch clock! But what else?:
    more crazy talk - 4 foul balls and U R out - start those certain players with a full count you know they will end up there anyways
    Posted by pinstripezac32

yup, more crazy talk. :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The rule for timing a pitcher only applies when there is nobody on base.  Look it up.  So they won't fix Sox/Yanks games, since bot teams always have guys on base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

there's never going to be an easy fix to this thing, pitchers are just not going to up the pace with men on especially with a bomber at the plate, won't want to make a mistake they can't get back..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Exactly who has the problem here? last I checked baseball's turnstyles conitnue to spin, the moneys in the game in terms of revenue has never been higher. Yet the networks who fund the game all spend way to much time making something out of nothing...

baseball does have a clock, and Jete hot the nail on the head...the rule is your have 2 minutes between innings, and the pitcher must with no runners on execute a pitch in 12 seconds...speeding up the game is easy...doing it is where we have a problem Houston.

Make the hitters stay in the box and call the strike zone that is in the rule book...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The complaint strikes me as funny in regards to the pace of game whining that the media so regularly engages in.

The game is much more popular now that it was in the 2:30 game era. The biggest draw in the sport is RS-NYY and they are the slowest games. The highest rating ESPN had all year for a weeknight game was the RS-NYY game this week that the mediots (on that very network) were whining about.

One reason the games are slow is the length of time between innings for commercial breaks. I am not discounting the endless waiting games between pitchers and hitters or the number of guys that need to adjust gloves and such between every pitch. Or that far more hitters have taken a selective approach at the plate. The reduced fear of a strikeout and increased respect for the walk has had its impact.

But the media itself certainly contributes to the issue by the very nature of what generates their paychecks, advertising. And they seem to contradict themselves, games are too long but we must have more replay reviews. And I am not sure there is anything more destructive to the flow of a game than replay reviews.

But the media for a number of years has taken the tact of telling us everything wrong with baseball, while overlooking any flaws in the NFL. PEDs and quality of officiating are both must worse in the NFL but you'd never know it by listening to popular media.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I don't usually have an issue with the length of the games.That being said,if MLB wanted to shorten the time of games,they could raise the mound back up to 15 1/2 inches like it was in 1968 and before.They lowered it to 10" in 1969 to put more offense into games during the Bob Gibson era.More offense means more time.
       MLB won't do it because they want lots of offense.It helps to sell the product better. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/video/globe10/?bctid=1140780739001

I posted in response to this discussion, which I assume others saw.

What I'm getting is that the video clip discussion is off base and there is no problem. Otherwise you guys would be proposing solutions, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to No pitch clock! But what else?:
    Many people are lamenting the length of games today, but I am firmly opposed to any introduction of a clock into baseball. It would change the character of the game forever. Of course this begs the question: What else could we do? I'd love to hear some "outside the box" ideas that could be tweaked or modified to accomplish this without a clock, so I'll throw out a couple and volunteer to be stoned in the process. Batters today most foul away a lot of pitches that they'd really rather not swing at but MUST swing away for fear of being called out looking. I partially blame the umpires for this because the strike zone is so irregular. So one possible idea is this: After two strikes, have a modified strike zone that is clearly smaller in some way. The understanding might be that NO PART of the ball must pass outside the plate. The up-down parts of the zone would also be tighter. The offset would be foul-tips on third strikes would be just like bunt attempts. You put it in play or you're out. This would dramatically reduce the number of pitches in a game, and require greater control on the part of pitchers, who might reasonably be expected to have it as a result of throwing many fewer pitches. The offensive flip side is that you might have an offsetting increase in walks as batters might bet that the pitcher couldn't hit the smaller strike zone. And alternatively, given better pitches to hit on third strikes, you might expect to see more balls in play generating offense. This is an example of an "outside the box" fix that would speed up the game without resorting to a clock. I'm sure there are many better no-clock ideas out there, so don't hesitate to throw stones at mine, as long as you have something else to offer.
    Posted by lasitter

If you really wanna speed the game up make three balls a walk and two strikes a strikeout, three consecutive fouls and the batter is out.
    1. No players over 240 lbs allowed to run the bases as it slows the game down.
     2. Pitchers are no longer allowed to throw over to first to hold the runner at first.
    2a. Catchers are not allowed to throw to second on a steal attempt.
    3. No reviews of any sort are allowed.
    4. The pitcher is no longer required to use a wind up as it makes sure the ball will get to the plate faster.
    5. The manager and pitching coach are not allowed to walk to the mound to confer with the pitcher. They each wear a headset and after one conference, not two the pitcher is automatically removed. The pitcher coming in from the bullpen is required to sprint in at full speed and is not allowed any warm up pitches.
    6. Fans are not allowed to do the waive as it might catch the players attention and slow the game down.  
    7. Once in the batters box the batter is not allowed to call time. If he does, he's ejected and an out is recorded.
    8. Only two outs per inning.
    9. No injury time outs. Carry the poor injured sucker off the field and roll in the replacement player ASAP.  
    10. Limit the game to six innings like Little League games.
    11. After an out the infielders can longer throw the ball around the infield.It must go back to the pitcher ASAP or a delay of game is called resulting in an automatic out.
    12. Similar to Little League games a two run lead by either team after 5 innings results in a win for the team with the lead.
    13. An ejection by a coach or manager automatically forfiets the game (this may be going to far).
    14. Any player slower than 5.0 second between any base is required to have a pinch runner.
    15. The pitcher is only allowed 4.5 seconds to pitch once the ball is back in his mitts. Any slower and he's ejected in favor of a pitching machine.
    16. Knuckleballers are outlawed, and any change up slower than 75mph is outlawed.

More good ideas to come.

Hetchinspete.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

red sox have the extremes---beckett who takes forever, nearly 27 seconds between picthes and wakes who cruises along, with the 2 hr 20 min. game

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Re: No pitch clock! But what else?:
    The rule for timing a pitcher only applies when there is nobody on base.  Look it up.  So they won't fix Sox/Yanks games, since bot teams always have guys on base.
    Posted by soxmeister

I think you misundersatnd.  This guy is talking about proposing new rules.  Look it up (above).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chick92. Show chick92's posts

stop letting the catchers go to the mound as often as they like. If they go to the mound it counts as a visit

Sections
Shortcuts