No Playoffs 4 out of the 5 Past Years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: No Playoffs 4 out of the 5 Past Years

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see the problem with the five-year sample...besides being a nice round number, it does highlight a recent period in which the RS have struggled (last year aside) to reach October for one reason or another.

Everyone manipulates sample sizes to make a point or to draw attention to a trend. If I tell you that Player A is hitting .330 over the last 30 days, and you ask why I didn't go back 60 or 90 days instead, you probably completely missed (or did not want to acknowledge) the point I was making.

Go back to 2003-09 and we made the playoffs six out of seven years - which is pretty amazing. I think we all know that here, and looking at the last five years for purposes of this thread does not take away from that success. But the fact is, recently, we have been on the outside looking in at the postseason more often than not, and it's perfectly valid to ask why that is and what can be done to change it going forward.

[/QUOTE]

It's okay to look at the last five years, but I think when you do it, you have to put it in context of the success of the previous seven years.  Because there is a cyclical nature to success of sports franchises.  It's virtually impossible to stay on top for long because of the turnover of players, the economics of free agency, the draft system etc.

[/QUOTE]

Very true. Context is always needed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do not think that five years is any less reasonable a time frame to choose than any other time frame.

It is still cherrypicking.

If you pick 6 years, it is 2 playoffs and 1 WSC

If you pick 7 years, it is 3 playoffs and 1 WSC

If you pick 8 years, it is 4 playoffs and 2 WSC.

If there 12 combinations in the past 12 years, and 11 of the 12 combinations are better than the year the OP chose, I am reasonably sure it was cherrypicked.

[/QUOTE]

Again, if you can explain to me how anything 5+ years ago has to do with this team in 2014, going into 2015, please explain.

I didn't pick a single year, so I don't know what you're getting at there. Going with the 5 most recent years is FAR from cherry picking. It's become obvious many people really don't understand the phrase.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2003,04,05,06,07,08...The Camelot Years....That is why when the team misses the playoffs 4 out of 5 years but win the World Series, fans are lost in the lack of consistency. They figure the team should always be in the playoffs. If only it was that easy.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently wasting money on Crawford, letting the team run wild over Francona, bringing in Valentine...yeah, those had nothing to do with it.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't see the problem with the five-year sample...besides being a nice round number, it does highlight a recent period in which the RS have struggled (last year aside) to reach October for one reason or another.

Everyone manipulates sample sizes to make a point or to draw attention to a trend. If I tell you that Player A is hitting .330 over the last 30 days, and you ask why I didn't go back 60 or 90 days instead, you probably completely missed (or did not want to acknowledge) the point I was making.

Go back to 2003-09 and we made the playoffs six out of seven years - which is pretty amazing. I think we all know that here, and looking at the last five years for purposes of this thread does not take away from that success. But the fact is, recently, we have been on the outside looking in at the postseason more often than not, and it's perfectly valid to ask why that is and what can be done to change it going forward.

[/QUOTE]

It's okay to look at the last five years, but I think when you do it, you have to put it in context of the success of the previous seven years.  Because there is a cyclical nature to success of sports franchises.  It's virtually impossible to stay on top for long because of the turnover of players, the economics of free agency, the draft system etc.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The context of this thread, and I'm qualified to speak to that since I did, in fact, start this thread...was to talk about this team now, and going forward. 6 years ago has nothing to do with that. Ownership, and their success overall, has nothing to do with it. 

Thee's your context. People can stop trying to turn this into something it never was. It was NEVER a "bash the sox and ownership" thread. Read the original, MY original post again, and if you don't get it, sign up for some reading comprehension classes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The context of this thread, and I'm qualified to speak to that since I did, in fact, start this thread...was to talk about this team now, and going forward. 6 years ago has nothing to do with that. Ownership, and their success overall, has nothing to do with it. Thee's your context. People can stop trying to turn this into something it never was. It was NEVER a "bash the sox and ownership" thread. Read the original, MY original post again, and if you don't get it, sign up for some reading comprehension classes.

Uhh...I don't know if this was directed to me or not, but I never said your thread lacked context. It's pretty clear to me what its purpose was (indeed, I defended it in my first post). I was responding in an abstract way to Hfxsoxnut's points.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]1-On one hand, paying SPs until age 35 is pretty risky.  OTOH, what else do you do with the money?  Our payroll commitment is $78M next year, and $15M for 2016.  Rookies are always underpaid, so even if Lester winds up overpaid, we can still afford it.

2-I'm a big fan of a good farm, but you still need veteran leadership.

3-And it is not like the old when you could bring up 6-8 kids and have a good team for 10-12 years.  For a team like ours, you have to be looking at winning every year.

4-And your desire to go with the kids, and also wanting to sign Salty to a l/t contract, are contradictory.

[/QUOTE]

1) Having money shouldn't equate NEEDING to spend it. That thinking led to Crawford. Being able to spend money is nice...I NEVER, as a fan, feel like they should just pile money until they hit some minimum payroll number. They did that coming into 2013 and I RIPPED them for it...and they got away with it because of outside circumstance.

2) Agreed. That good leadership could be Pedroia, Lackey and Ortiz. You just need a few solid ones, not a lot.

3) I agree with looking at winning every year. Expecting it, however, is a different story. Feeling ENTITLED to it, which I believe a lot of fans have gotten to that point, is disgusting. Sometimes you have to take a step back, and Sox have not been willing to do this since Theo tried in 2010, and the fans and media's heads all fking exploded when he said "bridge".

4) Don't agree. Satly's contract, as it sits, is easily movable. He was a clubhouse leader, community giver, and had earned the trust and respect of the pitching staff. Mia is currently very happy to have him if you read any articles. He could've held down the position all year and not necessitate a mid-season purge. It may seem contradictory on the surface, but the devil is in the details.

[/QUOTE]

ma6dragon9,

Your item 1) is a stunner and calls into question anything you say about 2014.  Why?  Because you admit you predicted a disastrous 2013 campaign--coming as it did after a losing season, 2012--and were completely wrong.  Now you want us to believe that 2013 was entirely blind stupid luck and everyone should have seen it. 

I have not problems with 2) or 3).

But 4) blows my mind because you can't convince me that benching Saltalamacchia wasn't the key to beating the Cardinals 4 games to 2 in the WS.  Salty was outplayed by a 38 year old part-timer, but also one (Ross) who was a much better fit.  Salty vs. Pierzynski, I agree, the edge goes to Salty, but the Salty bridge was burned in the 2013 postseason, especially with not one but two good catchers--Vazquez and Swihart--coming up through the minors.

One final thought.  I have been a Sox fan since 1949 and believe now is the best time period to be a Sox fan, even when they miss the playoffs "4 out of the 5 Past Years."  This is not only true because of the team's success during the John Henry era--way, way, way, way better than the Tom Yawkey racist era--but also true because I can get all the games on TV while living in another part of the country. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey, a real comment!

1) I don't think it was purely lucky...but the bombing gave the extra motivation teams are always looking for. EVERYTHING went right for them. We can agree to disagree, but my feeling truly is that, without the bombing, 2013 looks a lot more like 2012 and 2014. That's my opinion.

4) You can't convince me benching Salty and playing Ross WAS the difference. No single guy was the difference. Was the relationship destroyed at that point? Quite possibly, and if so, they did what they needed to do. Vazquez and Swihart have proven nothing. I have no problem running them out there, but there are no guarantees with prospects. JBJ looked unstoppable, then hopeless, now looks OK. Boegarts is in a horrificly long slump. Vazquez looks good now, but may look awful in June of 2015. We don't know. How's going t o be the backup? Can Ross even fill that role anymore? So, for 2015, the Sox will be running 2 new catchers out there. That's 3 years in a row they've basically done this and it is HORRIBLE for a pitching staff. Pitching staffs love continuity and the Sox have willingly gone the opposite route. 

Signing Lester basically means you HAVE to bring Ross back, as we've seen how picky Lester can be with his batterymate. So you are now carrying a personal catcher on your 25 man roster who really doesn't deserve to me a major leaguer. Not a good way to do business in my estimation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Are we talking about the current owners tenure or about Red Sox history ? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself, but I'm talking about the current owners tenure. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...YOU were, as were others...after you molded the discussion into something you felt you could defend. 

In fact, we, well me, was talking about neither when I started this thread. People refuse to stay on topic, or just want to argue with me so they go with a topic they can actually defend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Are we talking about the current owners tenure or about Red Sox history ? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm talking about the current owners tenure.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...YOU were, as were others...after you molded the discussion into something you felt you could defend. 

In fact, we, well me, was talking about neither when I started this thread. People refuse to stay on topic, or just want to argue with me so they go with a topic they can actually defend.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty reasonable to equate criticism of the team's performance over a period of years with criticism of the team's ownership and/or front office.  Those are the people who ultimately control what players are on the field. 

If those aren't fair statements please explain why not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

no wsc in 86 years..... perspective

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

I love your act.... the one where you pretend not to be a Troll. Bravo!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BmoreCommie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The context of this thread, and I'm qualified to speak to that since I did, in fact, start this thread...was to talk about this team now, and going forward. 6 years ago has nothing to do with that. Ownership, and their success overall, has nothing to do with it. 

Thee's your context. People can stop trying to turn this into something it never was. It was NEVER a "bash the sox and ownership" thread. Read the original, MY original post again, and if you don't get it, sign up for some reading comprehension classes.

[/QUOTE]

Actually if you want to assess how good the team is now and going forward then you don't even use what they did in the past five years. A better barometer is to assess the current roster, their potential, farm system, recent draft picks, money free to spend on FAs, and the front office desire to improve the team.

[/QUOTE]

Nah, that would make too much sense....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually if you want to assess how good the team is now and going forward then you don't even use what they did in the past five years. A better barometer is to assess the current roster, their potential, farm system, recent draft picks, money free to spend on FAs, and the front office desire to improve the team.

[/QUOTE]

Nah, that would make too much sense....

[/QUOTE]

I know. Poster X would call me boring.

[/QUOTE]

Of all the things you've been called, pike, boring has never been one of them

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Signing Lester basically means you HAVE to bring Ross back, as we've seen how picky Lester can be with his batterymate. So you are now carrying a personal catcher on your 25 man roster who really doesn't deserve to me a major leaguer. Not a good way to do business in my estimation.

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would have no problem with having Ross back on a one year deal next year.  Offensively, he is not going to provide much.  However, he would be an excellent mentor for Vazquez.  Also, the way he handles the pitching staff is a plus.  He would only be on the team as a BUC, and if he brings out the best in Lester, then he is worth it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very good and valid point made.

Why people feel the need to attack this poster when he is contributing to the conversation is beyond me.  Either respond to the context or ignore it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Personally, I would have no problem with having Ross back on a one year deal next year.  Offensively, he is not going to provide much.  However, he would be an excellent mentor for Vazquez.  Also, the way he handles the pitching staff is a plus.  He would only be on the team as a BUC, and if he brings out the best in Lester, then he is worth it.

U got that right ms kimmi

seems like a no brainier 2me

I'm sure that's just a coincidence

not saying that's Y U got it right ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

n response to BmoreCommie's comment:

Why people feel the need to attack this poster when he is contributing to the conversation is beyond me.  Either respond to the context or ignore it.

Kimmie with all due respect, are you forgetting what Pike, and Babe, who you've also defend, did on this forum? Neither one of them attacked you, but they did others. That's why. You seem to have gone after a certain poster here too, who I can only assume you've had issues with, also. To question and be critical of someone else, seems a bit disingenuous to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I C

it's the ole wins don't matter defense

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Kimmie with all due respect, are you forgetting what Pike, and babe who you've also defend, did on this forum? Neither one of them attacked you, but they did others. That's why.

KIMMI loves pike

PG not so much ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

"I would not presume to speak for 95% of baseball fans, but I do not think that no playoffs for four of five years is a particularly good track record for a high budget sports team, despite the one championship year."

I  agree.  I  would  sign Lester  and  trade  peavey,buckie  and  gnomes.

BTW  I  read   SV  has  a  "slipped  disc"  in his  back.  It was  in some  Boston paper

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I C

it's the ole wins don't matter defense

[/QUOTE]

Not really...if you read the whole post he's talking about assessing the franchise as it currently stands in its entirety, which would include the bad stats for this year...might be the best post Pike's ever made here. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2003,04,05,06,07,08...The Camelot Years....That is why when the team misses the playoffs 4 out of 5 years but win the World Series, fans are lost in the lack of consistency. They figure the team should always be in the playoffs. If only it was that easy.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently wasting money on Crawford, letting the team run wild over Francona, bringing in Valentine...yeah, those had nothing to do with it.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you ma-dra...CC was a stupid mistake (called it when they signed him, was in complete shock over the money and years and the lack of forethought, and that the team already had a CC clone in Ellsbury). Valentine an all-time mistake to manage. But "letting the team run wild over Francona," well that's interpretation. First of all, Tito was a hands-off manager, always has been. Second, if this relating to ChickenBeerGate, then again I don't see it as players running over him, but more of a little clicky, bonding thing between 3 isolated players--Lackey, Beckett and Lester---starting pitchers who have a lot more free time in between starts than all other players on the roster. Manny was accused of running over Tito, and the team won twice under him, and not until '13 did they win again..6 years. The Sox '11 team should have been in the playoffs, would have been in the playoffs, and if it weren't for the freakiest final day of a regular season, they would have been. Tampa pinch hit HR, Baltimore rally, it was a perfect storm preventing the postseason. I can't even classify it as a missed year. Too close. So really it's about 2010,'12,'13,'14. One of those was a title that so many teams can't even get close to, let alone get the job done when it counts---making the postseason and winning the postseason--2 different things--ask the Yankees about making it year after year with no results or the Angels, or the Tigers. The Sox got it done last year, luck or not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

2010 - No playoffs

2011 - No playoffs

2012 - No playoffs

2013 - Championship

2014 - No playoffs

Oh for Pete's sake.  You may as well be a freakin' Yanqui fan.  Your sense of being owed a great team all the time is just as deranged and distasteful as those pinstriped baffoons that think they somehow deserve to be in the lime light all the time.  It's at the core of our displeasure when it comes down to "The Rivalry."

At my first ever game at Yanqui Stadium, fans wore t-shirts that said, "Got Rings?" and marched the sacred number of their team out against the relatively few  the Red Sox have.  Sour grapes, CUZ WE GOT THE RING right now.  Sure, we might not have it again for a while, but I am not forgetting the fact that in my mid-life, the crisis is not a Red Sox shortage but for the first time since almost 100 years, WE have MORE than THEY do. As a matter of fact, WE HAVE MORE THAN ANYONE HAS since the day we broke through that incredible barrier.  

Yup, you guessed it, as another one posted, the apologist WILL BE AN APOLOGIST and enjoy the last decade for all it is worth.

Yanqui fans satisfied themselves with the 2004 WSC as a fluke.  Then came the next one soon on it's heals.  But our aggressive and "Yanqi-esque" fans weren't happy, just bitter we didn't win more.  Any number said we weren't a good team.  Any number were sure it would be the life of the Grand Canyon again before those morons in the front office got it right again, because OBVIOUSLY they didn't know what the hey they were doing.  2 crowns in four seasons ... BUT WE SHOULD HAVE HAD MORE.   Then chicken and beer and Bobby V and so many vultures fed on the disaster.

And now the third fluke.  Damn it all ... how did that work?  A third crown in 10 seasons.  And HOW MANY in my entire life time ... no wait, MY FATHER'S LIFE TIME.  Heck, I was only 48.  Dad was 87.  Yup  ...  born in 1917.  That is pretty close to that 1918 that hung on Fenway's wall forever.  Hmmm ... I wonder why I'm not so freakin' critical when my Red Sox have been near the top for a decade.  

We've earned our stripes.  We've made the long, painful run through the ages of near misses and complete bombs.  Ask any of us before 2003 if we would not have been grateful beyond words to finally make it over the hump!  Heck, we were writing BOOKS about it.  Even the famous ones of us.  

No, I'm not saying that this has been a fun season.  Far from it.  It has even been painful, but I still believe if our bats wake up we have a chance to take the East.  After that, who knows.  We have some pretty good pitching.  

Nava has made a rebound.  Pedey's hand is well and his BA is up 20 plus points since then.  Papi's got 20 dingers and on the pace for over a 100 rbis (sure point out he's batting .250.  He's also a streak hitter and when the light's up, watch out!)  Who knows if we'll see Vic again, but he could be valuable during the last half.  Oh, did I mention, did you see, that "Day to Day" Clay just threw a full game donut with 12 K's and 0 BBs .... What if he's back in form?

Then the kids.   My what fun!

Yeah.  Apologist here.  GOT MY RED SOX ON MY PAJAMAS AND ANYWHERE ELSE you wish to see it - or not.  Buried Dad after then first two WC crowns.  With a Red Sox cap and ball in the casket.  Too bad he missed this turn with these bums.  

NO PLAYOFFS IN 3 OUR OF 4 ... BUT HOT D"MN THAT ONE WAS THE BIG ONE!!!!  And even if your prognostication is right, nothing has changed to the over all pleasure that being a Sox fan.  And even if we had not won 3 in 10, I'd be in anyone's face that the Sox are great.  

Sheeeees .... what the heck are you really expecting?  This is baseball.  Hot streaks, new talent all around the bigs, cold streaks, injuries, free agency, so established talent moving hither and yon.  There aren't any promises.  Except that I'll be there pulling for them NO MATTER WHAT.

Let me ask you guys this.  After doubting the Sox would even break .500 last year, after doubting they would win a playoff series against all the other DESERVING playoff teams, after taming the terrible Tigers with their dominant starters and their thunderous batting line up, and then after taking on the favored Cards and their unbeatable pitching staff ... knowing all season long that they were just a step away from becoming the "real" loser Red Sox ... DID YOU EVER ACTUALLY ENJOY THE SEASON?  Or were you so sure that the sky was falling and we would end in embarrassment that you never got to have fun?

Heck, even this terrible half season has had fun moments.  But you guys - you sour guys - that can never be happy about the sun rising or the moon keeping the tides on time .... WHEN THE HECK WILL YOU EASE UP AND ENJOY WHAT WE HAVE ENJOYED THIS LAST DECADE?

I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU.  Honest.  Very few teams have had the run we have had since the arrival of Pedro and Manny and Papi and Pedey and Mr. Bloody Sock and ... and...and ...and .....  It's been a heck of a run and ... YOU CRY LIKE SOMEONE STOLE YOUR FAVORITE COMIC BOOK.   

Really?

What would you be doing if we HAD NOT come back from being beaten 19-0 in game three and being down 0-3 in, if Davey had not stolen THE BASE?  OR any of the other GREAT STUFF?  

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

25. This post has been removed.