1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: No playoffs since 2009, should Ben be bold?

JF and BenC. I would say don't play around and replace guys when they get hurt.

If Vic is hurt replace him with Brentz--today. His numbers are pretty close to Wil Myers except perhaps for BA--power numbers about the same--he has proven it in AA and AAA.

Rubby needs to have a chance.

If Lester can't do it and continues throwing stinkers bring up Alfredo.

Send WMB down, he lost the three man competition. You want radical: bring up either Bogaerts or Cecchini to play 3 B and move Iggy to SS.

Outfield,: Vic to the DL--Brentz in RF, Ells in CF. Compettition in LF--Carrp, Nava and Gomes--loser goes to a new team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

they wont go over the luxury tax and acquire lee and paps as well costing almost 40M a year between the 2. paps just blew 2 saves in a row, so hes not a lock these days, nevermind in 3 years.

I like Crain for the pen and maybe in another month another starter will be available or ours will be ok. Another reliever may emerge from within as well.

Theres no need for them to go off their plan and sacrifice the future AND also leave them with less finacial flexability. In another month we'll know exactly whos avaiable, what it will cost, and what our most glaring needs are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The way Crain is Pitching, it will cost more than people think.
    I'm with you on Crain though, he's got the stuff to be a Closer. Never got the chance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

The way Crain is Pitching, it will cost more than people think.
    I'm with you on Crain though, he's got the stuff to be a Closer. Never got the chance.

I dont think you can offer up some low rate prospect, but I also dont think a 2 month reliever rental will cost a top prospect. Since Crain is a FA after the year, the price shouldnt be sky high.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BeckettJosh's comment:

And I mean bold. Let's face it, we know there are great positional players in the minors on the brink of stardom. And we hear about these great pitching prospects lining up ready to be called up. Their stellar performances night after night in the minors give Red Sox fans hope as they see the current Sox stumble in Detroit. But wait. Is this a mirage. Are these positional minor leaguer players ready to be the next Rice, Evans and Yaz or are they going to go through growing pains like many great ball player. Meanwhile the players on the current team whom are in their prime will be that much older when the rookie finally is ready to contribute. And we know that some pitchers take years before they finally realize their potential.

So the solution; be bold Ben.

You need a powerful right hand bat for the last 3 months of the season. Remember Victorino's back problem, Bradley still needs time, and Gomes is a bench player. With all that in mind I suggest the man who many have not forgiven, Manny Ramirez. Crazy, most likely, the cost, very little, and the reward, a powerful right hand batter in the lineup.

From yesterday's Nick Cafardo's column:"One scout who saw Manny Ramirez in Taiwan said, “He can still hit with the best of them.”  

Next, the Sox need a closer to solidy the bullpen. Without a dominant stopper, there will be chaos. My bold solution. Jonathan Papelbon.

Finally, the Sox need a bona fide number one battle tested starter. His name is Cliff Lee. He has the mindset of Curt Schilling. He has a tremendous resume of postseason dominance.

Papelbon and Lee will cost the Sox some of their highly prized prospects.  No one can guarantee that these moves will get the Sox a championship. But no one can guarantee when these prospects will all deliver the "next great Red Sox team".

I'll bet Edgar Martinez can still hit Taiwanese pitching "with the best of them" too.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The boldest move Ben could do would be very little to nothing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Theres no need for them to go off their plan and sacrifice the future AND also leave them with less finacial flexability. In another month we'll know exactly whos avaiable, what it will cost, and what our most glaring needs are.

I agree 100%.  Why would the Sox sacrifice their future now, both financially and in terms of prospects, when they worked so hard this offseason not to do that?  If the Sox weren't willing to give Paps the money and years that Philly gave him initially, I can't see that they would be wiliing to pick up the remainder of that contract now.  Even if some high cost moves were made, they would not guarantee a championship this year.

That does not mean that the Sox have to stand pat.  It just means that the team should not mortgage the future to bring in a top tier player.  Some of the best moves made are the low cost ones for "2nd tier" players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The boldest move Ben could do would be very little to nothing. 

True with the way the AL East, its as if you dont have to do much, maybe just 1 good move to get you in a good position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

There's a fine line between bold and crazy. Signing Manny Ramirez would be crazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is of course a joke.  No way, no how should Ben C do that.  The Sox have gone without Victorino before and done fine.  I agree on a good righty bat, but they are hard to come by without giving up a lot. 

Closer problem is grossly exaggerated.  For one thing, the Sox are near the bottom of MLB in save opportunities.  For another, Bailey only cost us that one game on June 20--the Sox won those other blown saves.  Uehara or Tazawa can do the job and maybe at some point Miller, who is much better but still a little inconsistent. 

A frontline starter will cost Bogaerts, Iglesias, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and anybody else worth owning. 

This is a rebuilding year and Ben C should stay the course. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

At the time the SOX thought they had a closer to replace PAPS. The SOX were very wrong. Desperate times call for desperate measures. SOX definitely need to obtain a closer.

I would hardly call these desperate times.  Obviously, the Sox need a closer.  They will exhaust their internal options first to see if someone can step it up as closer.  Either way, the Sox need some BP help, which I think they will acquire.  JMO, but I seriously doubt it will be Paps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

OP is of course a joke.  No way, no how should Ben C do that.  The Sox have gone without Victorino before and done fine.  I agree on a good righty bat, but they are hard to come by without giving up a lot. 

Closer problem is grossly exaggerated.  For one thing, the Sox are near the bottom of MLB in save opportunities.  For another, Bailey only cost us that one game on June 20--the Sox won those other blown saves.  Uehara or Tazawa can do the job and maybe at some point Miller, who is much better but still a little inconsistent. 

A frontline starter will cost Bogaerts, Iglesias, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and anybody else worth owning. 

This is a rebuilding year and Ben C should stay the course. 

Max, your last sentence was a HR with one minor correction, IMO. If its a rebuilding year (and I am convinced it is) then Ben should COMMIT to rebuilding 100% and become sellers at the trade deadline. Assuming we are in free fall by then, as I expect, Ellsbury, Drew, Salty, Napoli, and any other non pitcher who is on the roster should be available to be traded to bring in more young pitching, which is sorely needed. There is simply no was this team can contend with a #1 who is hurt all the time and a #2 who is really a #4 along with two others and a #5-not to mention a bullpen that is now 12th in the league in ERA. No prospects should go, just some of the deadwood on this team.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

At the time the SOX thought they had a closer to replace PAPS. The SOX were very wrong. Desperate times call for desperate measures. SOX definitely need to obtain a closer.

I would hardly call these desperate times.  Obviously, the Sox need a closer.  They will exhaust their internal options first to see if someone can step it up as closer.  Either way, the Sox need some BP help, which I think they will acquire.  JMO, but I seriously doubt it will be Paps.

Check back with me at the all-star break. You may feel different. Btw, i didn't hint it would be Paps. Fact is the SOX do not have anyone internally who is either capable or durable enough to get the job done. SO,yes, i believe the SOX are in desperate need of a closer.

One more thing; based on this last series with Detroit, the SOX are also in need of better managing from Farrell.

Hows that?

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

One more thing; based on this last series with Detroit, the SOX are also in need of better managing from Farrell.

Hows that?

Well, if you were happy with 'cona, than i'll assume you're happy with Farrell.

I must have missed your last managing gig.  Who was that with again?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Yokel, eh?  What are you basing that on.

24. This post has been removed.