"No Pop Papi" Oh No You Dih-ent!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"No Pop Papi" Oh No You Dih-ent!

Rumors of Papi's demise were greatly exaggerated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re:

The .309 batting average speaks for itself, the 30 homers are always nice too. But, it's his hitting,  so far, in the playoffs that is just throwing it in the face to all the haters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re:

Another great win, Papi is amazing and really proud of Lackey!!!!!!!

hopefully tonight was a great lesson to those of us (hint) who wasted our time this year with Papi-bashing ad neasuem - off that sinking ship and onto the bandwagon!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re:

Strictly Punch and Judy. Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Ortiz extension...

What do you say----offer Ortiz a one year extension beyond next season--possibly do it before the next round.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re:

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

The correct quoe: "The Report of my death was an exageration".  

You keep aping "no pop", when there is no one but your strawman that said Ortiz had reached the point where he had "no pop".

You are too stupid to quote SC correctly.  "Demise" and "decline" are not the same, little fellow. Ortiz missed time early and was given enough time off to where he started and finished less than 120 games. He's been in decline since 2009, and would be wise to go out on a high note and retire off what will likely be the final season of commensurate contract production.

I find it amusing that someone said to offer him an extension to take him beyond 2014.

I have been Ortiz's biggest defender, calling him the face of the Red Sox and the most important player on the team. I've called out New Ireland for fawning over the overrated Ellsbury, when Ortiz is the leader of the Red Sox, with his play and his words of leadership. I denounced management for not giving him a 2 year deal that would make this his final contract year. At that time, I said he'd been underpaid in contrast to his many sorry peers, and he needed to be rewarded appropriately.

That said, to make it through the 2 years on the current contract, and go out on his own terms, he needed to be used less during each of those 2 seasons. He has been, this year, and he'll need to be, next year.

While it's quite clear that 2014 will be the Ortiz retirement tour of thanks, the wisest and humble way to end his great career would be to retire at the end of this season and work out the CBA legalities on how to structure his golden parachute.

Can you please name any hitter in Major League HISTORY that has retired coming off a year this productive?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re:

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

You keep aping "no pop", when there is no one but your strawman that said Ortiz had reached the point where he had "no pop".

You are too stupid to quote SC correctly.  "Demise" and "decline" are not the same, little fellow. Ortiz missed time early and was given enough time off to where he started and finished less than 120 games. He's been in decline since 2009, and would be wise to go out on a high note and retire off what will likely be the final season of commensurate contract production.

I find it amusing that someone said to offer him an extension to take him beyond 2014.

I have been Ortiz's biggest defender, calling him the face of the Red Sox and the most important player on the team. I've called out New Ireland for fawning over the overrated Ellsbury, when Ortiz is the leader of the Red Sox, with his play and his words of leadership. I denounced management for not giving him a 2 year deal that would make this his final contract year. At that time, I said he'd been underpaid in contrast to his many sorry peers, and he needed to be rewarded appropriately.

That said, to make it through the 2 years on the current contract, and go out on his own terms, he needed to be used less during each of those 2 seasons. He has been, this year, and he'll need to be, next year.

While it's quite clear that 2014 will be the Ortiz retirement tour of thanks, the wisest and humble way to end his great career would be to retire at the end of this season and work out the CBA legalities on how to structure his golden parachute.

Can you please name any hitter in Major League HISTORY that has retired coming off a year this productive?

Ted Williams; however, he shouldn't retire yet imo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Ted Williams; however, he shouldn't retire yet imo

Of course, Williams was 41, not 37, played in just 113 games, not 137, and had just 390 plate appearances, not 600.

softy's post is nothing but incoherent babbling. I love the line "decline since 2009."

Really?

Ortiz:

OPS 2009-2013: .794-.899-.953-1.026-.959.

Decline means going down each year. His OPS basically has been going up each year since 2009. (Yes, it dropped from last year but it's still the second-highest since 2009.

HR 2009-2013: 28-32-29-23-30. Pretty consistent. Off a bit one year because of injury.

RBI 2009-2013: 99-102-96-60-103. Pretty consistent too except for the one drop because of injury, but he had his highest RBI total during that stretch this year.

We all should chip in and buy softy a dictionary. He doesn't seem to know the meaing of the word decline. Then again, maybe not. He's always good for comic relief on this sight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re:

No, the correct quote spells "exaggeration" correctly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

Bare faced lie.

You claimed he "had no pop", because he wouldn't be able to play enough to hit a lot of HRs. I argued that "pop" was "pop" no matter how many games a player plays. He either has it, or he doesn't. You claimed Papi needed to sit once a week in order to not end up on the DL after his return to the Sox in April. I claimed being a DH was no harder than doing the dishes, and that Papi would play full time once he returned, and would show he has not lost his "pop"

Yes, I know what the original quote was, clown. 

He has not been in decline "since 2009", clown. He declines from 2007 to 2009, but has actually improved since the 2009 season in almost every area of his game. Maybe you just don't know what the word "since" means, or maybe you don't know what "decline" means or looks like:

(PAs)  BA/OBP/SLG/OPS    HRs  XBHs

2009: (627) .238/.332/.462/.794    28   64

2010: (606) .270/.370/.529/.899    32   69

2011: (605) .309/.398/.554/.953    29   70

2012: (383) .318/.415/.611/1.026  23  49 (Was injured)

2013: (600) .309/.395/.564/.959    30  70

I don't see how you see "decline since 2009". Any way you slice it up, Papi has improved since 2009. He has improved since 2010. And, he has improved since 2011.

Here's some larger sample size to drive home the point that you are nothing but a blabbering clown:

'08-''09: .250/.348/.482/.830

'10-'11:  .290/.384/.542/.926

'12-'13:  .312/.403/.582/.985

Every single category saw a significant improvement since 2008-2009.

BA: +40 and +22

OBP: +34 and +19

SLG: +60 and +40

OPS: +94 and +59

Ortiz is not what he was from 2004 to 2007. He declined from 2007 to 2008 and then from 2008 to 2009, but the decline stopped right there and reversed itself. He has not retruned to 2004-2007 form, and nobody is saying he did, but it is a stark fact that he has not "decline from 2009".

Your continued lies about what you suggested we offer Papi last year are further evidence of your total lack of honesty and integrity. 

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re:

A quote has quotation marks around it. Moon was clearly paraphrasing. 

-10 pts for not knowing the difference. 

-Daf. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

[/QUOTE]

And, while we're at it, what's a "quoe"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re:

We all should chip in and buy softy a dictionary. He doesn't seem to know the meaing of the word decline. Then again, maybe not. He's always good for comic relief on this sight.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Roy, 

The only thing in decline is Softy's, Redsox Fireman or whoever he is as of today is his common sense and that is assuming he had any to begin with, which I think he probably never had any so I guess I just blew my whole to premise of the email all to He-- !!

Hetch

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

Want more facts?

Papi's OPS in 20111 (.953), 2012 (1.026), and 2013(.959)  are all higher than his career OPS or .930.

How is that decline since 2009?

Here's another look by 4 year sample sizes:

1997-2001: .264/.351/.446/.797

2002-2005: .304/.416/.529/.945

2006-2009: .281/.392/.561/.953

2010-2013: .300/.392/.560/.952

How is this decline after 2009?

And first half/second half of his career:

1997-2005: .282/.366/.534/.900

2006-2013: .290/.392/.560/.952

How is this decline?

Facts don't lie. They represent what happens on the field. From 2004 to 2007, Papi was an incredible player. His worst 2 years since 2001-2002 were 2008-2009. He certainly declined steeply those 2 years, but the point is, his decline did not continue. In fact, it reversed itself.

From 2010-2013, Papi has the 4th best OPS (.952) in MLB, and softy thinks he should retire. Only Miggy, Votto and Bautista (.960) have a better OPS. The league OPS was about .720 these 4 years combined. Papi has been about .230 over the league average OPS for this time period.

From 2004-2007, the peak of Papi's career, he was 3rd in MLB in OPS at 1.024 (behind Bonds and Pujols). The league average was about .760 these 4 years combined. Papi's OPS was about .265 over the leagus average during his best 4 years of his career.

I rest my case.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

softy's spell-checker mom must be on vacation.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re:

Pretty sure Softlaw is the only (supposed) Red Sox fan in existence whose reaction to Papi's 2013 season, up to and including Saturday's power display, is "Man, I wish that guy would retire."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Pretty sure Softlaw is the only (supposed) Red Sox fan in existence whose reaction to Papi's 2013 season, up to and including Saturday's power display, is "Man, I wish that guy would retire."

He wants him to retire as quickly as possible to stop his wrong projection from slapping him in his face for longer and longer.

He's been all over the map on Papi.

He once wanted him demoted to AAA on a fake rehab assignment during his big slump years ago.

He called me a "racist" in early 2012 for "lowballing" Papi with my suggested offer of $20M/2 with easy incentives that could bring him to $30M/2. He suggested a $28M/2 offer.

Then, after Papi's injury last year, softy suggested a $16M/2 offer, and called Papi "washed-up".

Later, he suggested only a 1 year offer, and called Papi too old to go multiple years.

He got extremely upset when we signed him to his 2 year deal, saying "nobody else would have paid him for two years".

That set the tone for his "retirement" statement. If Papi has two very good healthy seasons, softy will extend his streak of being totally wrong on baseball issues to 2,117. If Papi retires, softy gets a push.

The best he can hope for these days.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

Papi, Papi, PAPI!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

"No pop Papi" with a magical hit!

BTW, where's BILL talking about clogged basepaths?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re:

Policeman's arms form a "V" for victory.

Hunter's legs form a "V" for very hard fall.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

That pen is a long way away for a guy with no "pop"!

Sections
Shortcuts