No, seriously. Don't ever shush me again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: No, seriously. Don't ever shush me again.

It seems to happen to guys who try to make the ball move faster than 90 mph.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Wish I had a nickel for every promising pitcher to come through the Yankee system but never made it to MLB because of injuries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to S5's comment:

For all of Josh Beckett's faults it DOES seem that he's an excellent judge of character.  Beckett is the one who referred to Chamberlain as, "Joba the {female genatialia}", what is a very apt description. 

I'm now convinced. He said "I wouldn't take back or regret anything I've done". Does that include not having bug spray, hitting Youk, hurting his arm in an attempt to be a SP, excessive celebrations on critical punchouts (although alot of relievers do that), the DUI & trampoline?

The bugs were Midges. A small species of mayfly.

They have no mouths or digestive systems.

They emerge from Lake Erie for one thing, they have 24 hours to have nooky and then die on the surface of the lake loaded down with eggs starting the cycle all over again.

They had no interest in Joba or any other player they certainly would not subside to bug spray.

Torre should have taken his team off the field until the hatch subsided.

The Indians certainly knew it was a temporary inconvenience.

Happens on Trout streams all spring, summer and late into the fall.

Different species hatch at different times of the season the hatch determined by the water temperature.

Bug repellent will not stop mother nature.

Not Joba's fault.

Agreed, I was just piling on.

But when he first came up, he looked downright unhittable. The injuries (post 2008, and I believe partly related to switching back and forth from reliever to starter) has taken the edge off of that awesome slider, which Eckersley termed "filthy".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

For all of Josh Beckett's faults it DOES seem that he's an excellent judge of character.  Beckett is the one who referred to Chamberlain as, "Joba the {female genatialia}", what is a very apt description. 

I'm now convinced. He said "I wouldn't take back or regret anything I've done". Does that include not having bug spray, hitting Youk, hurting his arm in an attempt to be a SP, excessive celebrations on critical punchouts (although alot of relievers do that), the DUI & trampoline?

They emerge from Lake Erie for one thing, they have 24 hours to have nooky and then die on the surface of the lake loaded down with eggs starting the cycle all over again.

They had no interest in Joba or any other player they certainly would not subside to bug spray.

Different species hatch at different times of the season the hatch determined by the water temperature.

Not Joba's fault.

Agreed, I was just piling on. But when he first came up, he looked downright unhittable. The injuries (post 2008) has taken the edge off of that awesome slider, which Eckersley termed "filthy".

I thought he was pitching well this spring until his injury. He had the velo back was hitting 98 on the gun.

If I was Nova I wouldn't stay on the DL too long, after watching some of those kids today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nuno gets another start in the very near future or goes into the pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I just found the incident with MO annoying, and blame it mostly on him. If he wanted to talk to MO later in private, that would have been different. His stature counts. (Regardless, can you imagine anyone doing that to Joe D, even in private? Even his Mgrs were afraid of him.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I just found the incident with MO annoying, and blame it mostly on him. If he wanted to talk to MO later in private, that would have been different. (Regardless, can you imagine anyone doing that to Joe D, even in private? Even his Mgrs were afraid of him.)

For me it's kind of hard to place blame.

Picture Joba trying to greet his kids and family who came to the game to see him and getting shushed publically in front of all of them while he was trying to reach out.

And I'm sure if Mo thought that Joba would misinterpret his request for him to quiet down while he was being interviewed causing the issue that it did he would not have done it.

Mo is very humble, Joba seems to have a fragile ego and immature, like a big kid.

I'm sure they were able to work it out between the two of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I just found the incident with MO annoying, and blame it mostly on him. If he wanted to talk to MO later in private, that would have been different. His stature counts. (Regardless, can you imagine anyone doing that to Joe D, even in private? Even his Mgrs were afraid of him.)

Mantle hated Joe D..

Claims that DiMaggio ignored him his entire rookie season.

And also called Mantle off the outfield pop at the last minute causing MM to trip over the drainage system and injure his knee.

The only time he talked to mantle was when he was laying on the outfield turf injured before he was carted off.

Mantle said that SOB (DiMaggio) ruined my career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I just found the incident with MO annoying, and blame it mostly on him. If he wanted to talk to MO later in private, that would have been different. (Regardless, can you imagine anyone doing that to Joe D, even in private? Even his Mgrs were afraid of him.)

For me it's kind of hard to place blame.

Picture Joba trying to greet his kids and family who came to the game to see him and getting shushed publically in front of all of them while he was trying to reach out.

And I'm sure if Mo thought that Joba would misinterpret his request for him to quiet down while he was being interviewed causing the issue that it did he would not have done it.

Mo is very humble, Joba seems to have a fragile ego and immature, like a big kid.

I'm sure they were able to work it out between the two of them.

Pretty much my take as well, TWM...Joba is not going anywhere, and it will be long forgotten in a matter of weeks.  It's clear he is a bit of a reactive guy, and Mo probably gets that right away...This team is playing well, and with Grandy coming in a day or two, and Tex in a few weeks, along with the Nunos and Warrens, as well as anything that Pineda (hitting up to 95 in rehab work) might give them after the break when Jete returns, the prospects for this team look very good right now...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

As HILLARY would say.......... "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE"  !!!!

This comment pretty much says it all about BIll-806.

It never ceases to amaze me how Bill just doesn't "get it".

What do you want him to get?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I think it's nice of you to have your little love-fest for Joba.  Forgive me if I don't participate.

Everything , that's EVERTYTHING in capital letters, I've ever seen, heard, or read about Mo says that he's a great person and a perfect gentleman.  Someone whom most of us would want our children to emulate and someone deserving of the utmost respect.

According to the reports I've read of the incident Mo calmly and pollitely asked Joba to keep it down because he (Mo) was having an interview.  The worst of it apparently happened a short time after the original incident when Joba told Mo, "Don't ever shush me again', in what was described as a threating tone. 

So what we have is Joba, a 28 year old "loose cannon" with a personal history all is own trying to possibly threaten and intimidate Mariano Rivera, a gentleman in nearly everyone's opinion and probably the best closer in the history of baseball.

One of the most telling parts of this incident is the apology Rivera extended.  He didn't apologize to Joba for asking him to "tone it down", instead he apologized to the media for their having to hear what happened.  Again, Rivera trying to be a gentleman and deflect the issue. 

Respect isn't something that's given for no reason. Respect has to be earned and Rivera deserves more respect than possibly any person in baseball.  I can easily forgive Joba for being loud in the dugout but I find it much more difficult to forgive him for treating one of the icons of baseball with a lack of respect.

If Joba is in pinstripes at the end of the week it will speak volumes about the FO of the Yankees and how much it has changed since George passed away.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I think it's nice of you to have your little love-fest for Joba.  Forgive me if I don't participate.

Everything , that's EVERTYTHING in capital letters, I've ever seen, heard, or read about Mo says that he's a great person and a perfect gentleman.  Someone whom most of us would want our children to emulate and someone deserving of the utmost respect.

According to the reports I've read of the incident Mo calmly and pollitely asked Joba to keep it down because he (Mo) was having an interview.  The worst of it apparently happened a short time after the original incident when Joba told Mo, "Don't ever shush me again', in what was described as a threating tone. 

So what we have is Joba, a 28 year old "loose cannon" with a personal history all is own trying to possibly threaten and intimidate Mariano Rivera, a gentleman in nearly everyone's opinion and probably the best closer in the history of baseball.

One of the most telling parts of this incident is the apology Rivera extended.  He didn't apologize to Joba for asking him to "tone it down", instead he apologized to the media for their having to hear what happened.  Again, Rivera trying to be a gentleman and deflect the issue. 

Respect isn't something that's given for no reason. Respect has to be earned and Rivera deserves more respect than possibly any person in baseball.  I can easily forgive Joba for being loud in the dugout but I find it much more difficult to forgive him for treating one of the icons of baseball with a lack of respect.

If Joba is in pinstripes at the end of the week it will speak volumes about the FO of the Yankees and how much it has changed since George passed away.   

Mo is not a God, and I doubt he wants to be treated like one over a minor verbal altercation...The last person who wants to see Joba punished for such small potatoes is a class act like Mo, and it is one of the reasons it will never happen...If Joba gets moved in the next few weeks, I will be shocked...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

What do you want him to get?

I'm not speaking for S5, but maybe not bringing politics into every damn thread?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Mantle hated Joe D..

Claims that DiMaggio ignored him his entire rookie season.

And also called Mantle off the outfield pop at the last minute causing MM to trip over the drainage system and injure his knee.

The only time he talked to mantle was when he was laying on the outfield turf injured before he was carted off.

Mantle said that SOB (DiMaggio) ruined my career.

Joe D referred to him as "Rockhead"

Met both at a memorabilia show in '90. Mantle very friendly, Joe D the opposite. Supposedly a restaurant that had a picture of Sinatra on the wall had to take it down when they knew Joe D was coming. He always whined about how he was paid and didn't get along with Stengel. He also hardly spoke to anyone.

Most long time fans know how this injury, which was a complete blow out of the knee, diminished Mantle's incredible skills. Even with the resulting limp, he was still faster than anyone else in his 20s. According to Bill Dickey (a coach at the time), he might have been better than Ruth. To quote Yogi "He was still pretty good".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to thepeskypole6's comment:

Here is another article by Wallace Matthews and he just kills Joba. I happen to agree with every word.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9267867/joba-chamberlain-not-fit-wear-new-york-yankees-uniform-public-warning-mariano-rivera

I've already posted this, but better 2x than none.

First time I've read it.

Thank you for sharing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

nothing but respect for Rivera, but what's wrong with Chamberlain trying to talk to family that he sees only rarely?  family was in the stands so they couldn't exactly move to a different seat.  Rivera and the reporters could have moved a few yards further away to talk.  I realize Rivera is doing his fare well tour, but courtesy works both ways.

just an aside, it's probably not well known, but it's been said that Joba is always  the loudest guy in the clubhouse...

Cut the guy some slack. Growing up in a meth lab, he had to speak loudly over the evaporators!

Yeah, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Why did the bugs choose Joba.  Unless I missed it, the bugs didn't seem to be bothering anyone else as much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Why did the bugs choose Joba.  Unless I missed it, the bugs didn't seem to be bothering anyone else as much.

Amp,

They had to be all over the infield of course the focal point of the game was on the pitcher.

A hatch typically lasts for a short period of time usually a couple of hours.

Drove from my home down to the Delaware R. and the Hancock NY area one year hoping to catch the hendrikson hatch that was coming off the water. This particular species in early spring usually starts in early to late afternoon and last a few hours.

As I drove into Hancock I knew my 2 hour drive that day had been a waste seeing the entire small community engulfed in Hendriksons. Literaly everything everywhere down town covered with the bugs. But the locals know they are harmless. That day because of the abnormally warm spring temps, the hatch controlled by the water temperature came off early, I had missed my opportunity.

The mayfly lives as an underwater climbing insect 364 days out of the year but one day emerges to the surface of the river, stream or lake shucks it's skin and flies off to the nearest bush, building, or baseball player to hook up with a mate. No mouth, no digestive system just 24 hours to get it done.

As they are on the water trying to finish the metamorphisis fluttering their wings to dry them and carry them away the Trout rise to the surface to pluck them off the swallows swoop from above doing the same.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

Mo is not a God, and I doubt he wants to be treated like one over a minor verbal altercation...The last person who wants to see Joba punished for such small potatoes is a class act like Mo, and it is one of the reasons it will never happen...If Joba gets moved in the next few weeks, I will be shocked...

I agree. As Mo said it was unfortunate that it happened right in front of you guys meaning the media.

Otherwise it would have been a non event handled among teammates (without the media scrutiny).

As it was.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Amp,

They had to be all over the infield of course the focal point of the game was on the pitcher.

Drove from my home down to the Delaware R. and the Hancock NY area one year hoping to catch the hendrikson hatch that was coming off the water. This particular species in early spring usually starts in early to late afternoon and last a few hours.

As I drove into Hancock I knew my 2 hour drive that day had been a waste seeing the entire small community engulfed in Hendriksons. Literaly everything everywhere down town covered with the bugs. But the locals know they are harmless. That day because of the abnormally warm spring temps, the hatch controlled by the water temperature came off early, I had missed my opportunity.

The mayfly lives as an underwater climbing insect 364 days out of the year but one day emerges to the surface of the river, stream or lake shucks it's skin and flies off to the nearest bush, building, or baseball player to hook up with a mate. No mouth, no digestive system just 24 hours to get it done.

As they are on the water trying to finish the metamorphisis fluttering their wings to dry them and carry them away the Trout rise to the surface to pluck them off the swallows swoop from above doing the same.

I'm impressed with your wealth of knowlege on the subject...honestly.

If you're not already, National Geographic should have you on their payroll.

If I wasn't so damned busy putting in my sprinkler system and killing moss on my lawn, I'd have more time to read the Mantle book.  The corking allegations trouble me because I wouldn't like an icon like him being tarnished.

To be honest, back in the 50's I didn't think people even knew of corking a bat.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Amp,

If I wasn't so damned busy putting in my sprinkler system and killing moss on my lawn, I'd have more time to read the Mantle book.  The corking allegations trouble me because I wouldn't like an icon like him being tarnished.

To be honest, back in the 50's I didn't think people even knew of corking a bat.

Amp, I have a lot of big old hardwoods around my property shading the lawn and house and a inground sprinkler system and of course a moss problem. I've been using moss max the past few years and it is having a pretty good effect of killing the moss.

http://www.ablackhorse.com/store/pc/Bonide-Herbicides-Moss-Max-Granules-20Lb-3946p239669.htm?gclid=CMmQq-K1lrcCFYyi4Aod5HwAZw

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I have to be honest and admit I loved that Chamberlain said that to/about Rivera.  I have always despised him since the time he threw at Youk's head twice, and now he has publicly revealed his imbecilic self.  Rivera is only one of the truly great players in the game today. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Amp,

Amp, I have a lot of very large old tree around my home and an inground sprinkling system as well, and a great deal of moss because of it, the past two years I have been putting down a product named Moss Max using the granualted version seems to be having an effect.

TWM, Thanks for the info.  I've put bags of moss killer down and am in the process of power raking(dragging a big tined rake behind my mower).  Then, the real work begins in manually raking up all the dead stuff.  Once I get a handle on it, fertilizer with moss control will keep it under control...I just have to get there.

Lots of moss, large lot..about 1/2 acre of watered lawn with many trees, not counting another 1/2 acre with multiple(8) 4x8 raised vegetable beds, red rasberry plants, blueberry bushes, apple trees, cherry tress, etc., etc.  Maintenance is a full time job.  But, I enjoy it.

I'm getting my exercise...trust me. Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Amp,

Amp, I have a lot of very large old tree around my home and an inground sprinkling system as well, and a great deal of moss because of it, the past two years I have been putting down a product named Moss Max using the granualted version seems to be having an effect.

TWM, Thanks for the info.  I've put bags of moss killer down and am in the process of power raking(dragging a big tined rake behind my mower).  Then, the real work begins in manually raking up all the dead stuff.  Once I get a handle on it, fertilizer with moss control will keep it under control...I just have to get there.

Lots of moss, large lot..about 1/2 acre of watered lawn with many trees, not counting another 1/2 acre with multiple(8) 4x8 raised vegetable beds, red rasberry plants, blueberry bushes, apple trees, cherry tress, etc., etc.  Maintenance is a full time job.  But, I enjoy it.

Btw I know no more about the bug life on the water than any other flyfisherman.

If you want to catch trout on flies you need to first educate yourself on their diet.

Sounds like you need some livestock to fill in your free time :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Not Joba's fault.

Nice information.

Amp,

Btw I know no more about the bug life on the water than any other flyfisherman.

If you want to catch trout on flies you need to first educate yourself on their diet.

Sounds like you need some livestock to fill in your free time :-)

The North Umpqua river is right across the street from me.

While fishing from the shore, I've run into people who come here every year for VACATION!  Sometimes it helps to get a jolt of reality like that to appreciate the blessings we have.  When I tell them I live here, the look of envy on their faces is astounding.

Maybe I'll set up a bed+breakfast in my spare bedroom and make some money..LOL

Yeah...livestock:)  I already have one beast of burden..me.

I worked with a gastroenterologist at the hospital who is, at least,  state renowned(at least that's what the word was) in fly fishing.  He lived on the river and never kept any that he caught..steelhead.  He knew the water temp, height, pH, etc., etc.  I never asked, but I presume, after reading you, that he probably knew the insects you've talked about.

Sections
Shortcuts