No team has Ellsbury as their "#1 priority"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

No team has Ellsbury as their "#1 priority"

I guess teams had enough of Boras controlling the market.  I see reports saying all the teams with interest of signing Ellsbury are seeking altenatives now.  Serveral weeks ago, Ellsbury were set to hit a jackpot with teams like Mariners, Giants, Rangers, Yankees, Mets.  Now they are looking at other options like Choo, Beltran, Grandy, or other trade targets.  Obviously the Sox are still in for Ellsbury.  What do you think is gonna happen eventually?  One team suddenly steps up and signs him to little less than what he and Boras were expected or will he end up signing something like 5 yr $100M contract?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: No team has Ellsbury as their

Red Sox are still in the mix for all Red Sox's free agents.  Ben C just sit and wait until their asking price goes down.

It is possible that Ben C. have a good chance to retain at least two of these top four free agents!!

My preference in order is Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli and Salty!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Keep the initial offer of 4-5 years at 20M.

Bradley in LF

Ellsbury in CF

Victorino in RF

That would be an awesome outfield to see for the next two years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Bradley in LF

Ellsbury in CF

Victorino in RF

If Ellsbury stays Bradley isn't sniffing Fenway except in September! Nava is the LF with Gomes platooning with him, and Carp in the hole! Victorino has RF all to himself with Nava spelling him on occassion. So with Ellsbury in CF there are no vacancies at Fenway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Bradley in LF

Ellsbury in CF

Victorino in RF

One of the poster is right that Bradley will not even make on the roster if Ellsbury resigns.  He could be a trade bait if they need to find a catcher or 1b!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

What the smart GM's are figuring out is, supplement your talent from the Minors. Rays are prime example of this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I guess teams had enough of Boras controlling the market.  I see reports saying all the teams with interest of signing Ellsbury are seeking altenatives now.  Serveral weeks ago, Ellsbury were set to hit a jackpot with teams like Mariners, Giants, Rangers, Yankees, Mets.  Now they are looking at other options like Choo, Beltran, Grandy, or other trade targets.  Obviously the Sox are still in for Ellsbury.  What do you think is gonna happen eventually?  One team suddenly steps up and signs him to little less than what he and Boras were expected or will he end up signing something like 5 yr $100M contract?

My calendar says it's November 18.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I like Victorino, but history will show that an Ellsbury/Victorino outfield will still allow JBJ to play between 40 and 60 games next year. Victorino's back will get better?? Ellsbury won't be in a contract year, so he will revert to his old ways.

Actually, in order of free-agent signings, I would like to see

Salty (3-4 years at reasonable rate, trade in 3rd year if someone else steps up)

Napoli (2 years, possible buy-out option for 3rd)

Drew

Ellsbury

in that order. I like Ellsbury, but even at 5/100, I think that he will be out of the line-up a lot.

I would be happier signing Salty and Napoli and trading Dempster for Iggy, but that is not going to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

I really find it hard to imagine ANY team signing Ells for more than $100mil.  I would LOVE to have him back but his limited body of work does not show me a morethan $100mil player.  If the Sox can get him for that then fine....do it.....but don't go more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re-sign Naps and Drew.  Go with youth in center and at catch, youthful subs are seldom the drop-off one expects, and are as often an upgrade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

I like Victorino, but history will show that an Ellsbury/Victorino outfield will still allow JBJ to play between 40 and 60 games next year. Victorino's back will get better?? Ellsbury won't be in a contract year, so he will revert to his old ways.

Salty (3-4 years at reasonable rate, trade in 3rd year if someone else steps up)

Drew

Ellsbury

in that order. I like Ellsbury, but even at 5/100, I think that he will be out of the line-up a lot.

I would be happier signing Salty and Napoli and trading Dempster for Iggy, but that is not going to happen.

What "old ways" are those?

Getting run over by another player?

Seems like that would be tough to plan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Dr. Hill, we had many an argument a few years back about Ells. When Sox fans were excited about him you were quick to show unflattering comparisons or bring up Erstad (I must say I also worried a bit).

Last three years, despite missing loads of 2012, 16.3 WAR has him as the third best OF in MLB.

Mea culpa?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

My calendar says it's November 18.

Mine also.  Your point?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

Dr. Hill, we had many an argument a few years back about Ells. When Sox fans were excited about him you were quick to show unflattering comparisons or bring up Erstad (I must say I also worried a bit).

Last three years, despite missing loads of 2012, 16.3 WAR has him as the third best OF in MLB.

Mea culpa?

I raised the Darin Erstad comp after Jacoby Ellsbury's spectacular 2011 season that resembled Erstad's 2000 season.

Ellsbury fell short of my expectations in 2012 and exceeded my expectations in 2013.

Ellsbury is a good player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Drew

Ellsbury

What "old ways" are those?

Getting run over by another player?

Seems like that would be tough to plan.

Run over (Beltre), landed on (second base steal attempt)... Ellsbury has a proclivity for misadventure. He had a good (healthy) season. I would feel better with a long term contract locking up that much money if he had more good (healthy) seasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury has averaged 114 games a year over the past six seasons but, because of the somewhat unusual injuries, some team likely will gamble that Ellsbury will average more games per season over the next five, six or seven years as he ages in his 30s.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Its not just the inuries.  I am sure there is a franchise out there that would roll the dice on the two season-wrecker injuries being freak accidents and not Ellsbury being fragile.  But, to go along with the injury history, who is Ellsbury?  Is he a speed-demon lead off guy with decent on-base ability and a little bit of gap power (this year, 2008-2009), or is a singular phenomenon of hitting acumen, power and speed (2011)?  I imagine that it will be too difficult for any GM to go with the latter, even if the possibility is there.  So, the mega pay-day probably isn't coming.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Its not just the inuries.  I am sure there is a franchise out there that would roll the dice on the two season-wrecker injuries being freak accidents and not Ellsbury being fragile.  But, to go along with the injury history, who is Ellsbury?  Is he a speed-demon lead off guy with decent on-base ability and a little bit of gap power (this year, 2008-2009), or is a singular phenomenon of hitting acumen, power and speed (2011)?  I imagine that it will be too difficult for any GM to go with the latter, even if the possibility is there.  So, the mega pay-day probably isn't coming.

Exactly Space.  Couple that with the Rangers dropping out and the Yankees not interested, his price could drop pretty quick before anybody even makes a formal offer....  I know it's INSANELY early to say this but I really am starting to think he doesn't get above $100mil unless it has incentives.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

Mea culpa?

I raised the Darin Erstad comp after Jacoby Ellsbury's spectacular 2011 season that resembled Erstad's 2000 season.

Ellsbury fell short of my expectations in 2012 and exceeded my expectations in 2013.

Ellsbury is a good player.

hmmm? how do you define good?  

2011 - 2013:

Is third out of 150 OF just good?  

is 9th in MLB WAR all positions just good?

JE 16.3   Longoria 15.5   Posey 14.1   Tulo  12.5 (50 fewer games)  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Boras is saying it wasn't Ellsbury's fault on those injuries.  He's right.  But Ellsbury has to be more careful on his shoulder and his ribs because of those injuries. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I think he is a $100m-$120m player, but over 6 or 7 years, not 5.  Jake is not a $20m player.  He is a $15-17m player in my eyes.  If that means the Sox do not resign him...then so be it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

We'll eventually find out which team has an interest in Ellsbury.  Do you think any team is going to reveal their hand at this point?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I suspect that no team thought Scott Boras would lead Jacoby Ellsbury to an early signing, so teams are concentrating their efforts elsewhere for the time being.

When other top free agents start coming off the board, I suspect some teams will redirect their attention to Ellsbury.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Boras is saying it wasn't Ellsbury's fault on those injuries.  He's right.  But Ellsbury has to be more careful on his shoulder and his ribs because of those injuries. 

Broken bones grow back stronger.....if he had a soft tissue injury such as a ligament or a tendon then yes...I'd say he'd be at a greater risk of re-occurance. 

Sections
Shortcuts