No team has Ellsbury as their "#1 priority"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: No team has Ellsbury as their

Jacoby Ellsbury ‏@JacobyEllsbury 18h

Happy to be in Hawaii supporting @ShaneVictorino and @SVictorinoFdtn! #Aloha pic.twitter.com/RQtvFWtEXp

Retweeted by Pete Abraham Embedded image permalink  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I feel that Dirt Dog information is accurate.

It seems that Ells has 'morphed' into a love affair with Boston.  Once upon a time with all the negative injury information which was being fed to us, misdiagnosis, on top of the the not so positive comments that Youkilis made about him and the rehab location, I never thought in a million years he'd re-sign with us.

Well, it now looks like things have changed.  The bad blood seems to have evaporated.  I actually see a smile on his face.  And, I think the fact that chemistry is so much better now than it has been has a lot to do with it. 

I certainly hope that he does re-sign with us. 

i hope he does also...he belongs with the red sox...why would dirtdog lie anyway? he seems like a solid poster...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

I feel that Dirt Dog information is accurate.

It seems that Ells has 'morphed' into a love affair with Boston.  Once upon a time with all the negative injury information which was being fed to us, misdiagnosis, on top of the the not so positive comments that Youkilis made about him and the rehab location, I never thought in a million years he'd re-sign with us.

Well, it now looks like things have changed.  The bad blood seems to have evaporated.  I actually see a smile on his face.  And, I think the fact that chemistry is so much better now than it has been has a lot to do with it. 

I certainly hope that he does re-sign with us. 

i hope he does also...he belongs with the red sox...why would dirtdog lie anyway? he seems like a solid poster...

Hey, to survive in Roseburg, you have to be solid...LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to chris2's comment:

You must not be from the Boston area, very typical word around here, like the Monsta.

I believe ampoule and Jacoby Ellsbury are my fellow Oregonians.

Actually, I'm originally from Western Mass.....closer to Hartford than Boston....moved to Az. in 1976...then here to Southern Oregon.

Used to live in Northampton Amp.

Cool...got some fond memories of the Northampton area...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Hey Dirt Dog, I'll bet the Patriot game will be on the tube at Loggers.....maybe a beer or two wouldn't sound bad?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If the Red Sox re-sign Jacoby Ellsbury, it would effectively cost the Red Sox a higher draft pick than the draft pick Seattle would lose if the Mariners sign Ellsbury (which I hope the M's won't because of the likely expensive long-term commitment).

Now that Ellsbury has declined the qualifying offer, the Red Sox are pretty much guaranteed* a sandwich-round compensatory draft pick if Ellsbury signs elsewhere. The Sox "lose" that draft pick if they re-sign Ellsbury.

If Seattle signs Ellsbury, the Mariners forfeit only their second-round draft pick because their first-round pick is protected.

My point is that re-signing Ellsbury has a cost beyond the years and dollars.

* the Red Sox will receive the draft pick unless Ellsbury signs outside MLB (such as Japan or an Independent League), retires or dies (heaven forbid). Unlikely events.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Jacoby Ellsbury - OF -  Red Sox

Scott Boras has kept an open dialogue with the Red Sox about Jacoby Ellsbury, according to the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo.

Ellsbury's agent is on record as saying the outfielder had as many as 11 suitors at one point, so it's no surprise that his former team is one of them. The Sox would undoubtedly like to have the 30-year-old back, but they've got other holes to fill as well. Ellsbury batted .298/.355/.426 with 52 stolen bases last season and will likely receive a nine-figure deal from some team this offseason.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

P.s.   yes, the sox have other holes to fill....  But, they realize that it would likely cost 14M / yr ad hoc to to fill CF each year for the next 6 years to remain competitive.  The question becomes, can they get a FA CF'r who can fill this position anywhere near what Ells would provide, and is it worth the 4M / yr extra to sign Ells?  Do we gamble & assume we can fill that slot on a yearly ad hoc basis, giving up what we know Ells will likely bring to the table year in & year out over the extra 4M / year, or do we bite the bullet, a potential HOF CF'r the market value he has earned?

Do we match a 20M / 6 yr deal if a team steps up & offers?  I say no.  But I don't see a Seattle stepping up & making that kind of offer.  Ells inot a game changer type player.  Is he worth 18.5M / 5 yrs?   I thinks so!!!  It's the 6th year that is the tough call!!!!  there in lies the sticking point!!! do the sox let him walk over a 6th year?  Quite possibly.  Will Ells walk over a 6th year, or accept a team option for a 6th year?

I admit my sources are a bit shoestring.....  But I think he is likely to sign with a team 6th year option at the 18.5M / 5 yr deal.  Admittedly, I understand that Boras is making Ells hold out as long as he can to see if an teams step up to the 20+M /yr 6 yr. marker.  The window is not indefinite, as they realize the sox need to nail down this position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

P.s.   yes, the sox have other holes to fill....  But, they realize that it would likely cost 14M / yr ad hoc to to fill CF each year for the next 6 years to remain competitive.  The question becomes, can they get a FA CF'r who can fill this position anywhere near what Ells would provide, and is it worth the 4M / yr extra to sign Ells?  Do we gamble & assume we can fill that slot on a yearly ad hoc basis, giving up what we know Ells will likely bring to the table year in & year out over the extra 4M / year, or do we bite the bullet, a potential HOF CF'r the market value he has earned?

I wouldnt go that far....

Do we match a 20M / 6 yr deal if a team steps up & offers?  I say no.  But I don't see a Seattle stepping up & making that kind of offer.  Ells inot a game changer type player.  Is he worth 18.5M / 5 yrs?   I thinks so!!!  It's the 6th year that is the tough call!!!!  there in lies the sticking point!!! do the sox let him walk over a 6th year?  Quite possibly.  Will Ells walk over a 6th year, or accept a team option for a 6th year?

My top offer is 6/108M

I admit my sources are a bit shoestring.....  But I think he is likely to sign with a team 6th year option at the 18.5M / 5 yr deal.  Admittedly, I understand that Boras is making Ells hold out as long as he can to see if an teams step up to the 20+M /yr 6 yr. marker.  The window is not indefinite, as they realize the sox need to nail down this position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've long been an advocat of "Strong up the middle" and having three of the four 'up the middle' positions in limbo is making me nervous.

I'm hoping all of this comes to fruition.  Signing Ellsbury solves 1/3 - and to me the most important 1/3 - of the problem in that it also signs the leadoff hitter.  I'm going to be a lot more comfortable going into 2014 defending the WS Championship with Ellsbury in CF and leading off than I would be with JBJ in CF and ... whomever.. leading off. 

I'm willing to bite the bullet and accept the sixth year.  With salaries escalating the way they have been $18M in year six may be in line with what others are getting.  If not, you always overpay for the last year or two of a long contract anyway, just to get the good years.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Hey Dirt Dog, I'll bet the Patriot game will be on the tube at Loggers.....maybe a beer or two wouldn't sound bad?

Amp, don't think I can make loggers as it's a cross-country trip, but I'll be thinking of you tonight. Are you going to be able to get to spring training this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I wouldnt go that far....

My top offer is 6/108M

Potential HOF'r

I'm not sure he ever matches what he did in 2011, especially with respect to the power numbers, but if he steps back up & can sustain a 20HR per season avg, his HOF run would be likely.  I HIGHLY doubt there was a PED issue, so the 2011 season becomes inexplicable...  Unless of course you take Boras at his word that he was doing what the team wanted.  Just getting on base & creating havoc.  This is partially true, but there is no doubt he was pressing early to come close to replicating 2011 numbers for the big contract.  When they realized it wasn't going to happen, they went back to what they knew he could do for sure.  If he were to bulk up, sacrificing some speed for bigger pop, his bat speed would very likely result in a surge of the power numbers to 25+ HR's per season.  The problem with that is it goes against his strengths, decreases the speed element of his game, and increases the risk of injury & decreased longevity.  So how does he get back to HOF numbers?????   Stop pressing!  & bring back the much maligned reverse-pivot swing!    stiffy & his trolls got in his head.  When he re-signs with the sox, & stops pressing for a big contract, we will see his power numbers average about 18HR's per season, with his very impressive bat speed & intermittent reverse-pivot swing, as he sits on that inside fastball more often.

as for a potential contract at 6yr / 108M?  I think you are very close.  In fact, I think it's very close to a likelihood!  So long as we don't have a Seattle step up with 20M/6yrs.  Highly unlikely!  But there could be another Seattle out there willing to make an offer Boras would push Ells to take.  Let's hope that doesn't happen, says he could hold sway over such a deal.  In that case, the Sox would let him walk.  They will not go above 18.5M / 6yrs, & the 6th yr guarantee is still relatively improbable.  Sox are pushing hard to stick with the 6th yr team option.  They would also like to make that yr. contingent upon production numbers in the out yrs. of yr 4 & 5.  Boras is dead set against this!  He will stick to a guarantee, putting Ells in a must walk if offered 19M / 6yr.  I don't see that money as realistically being out there, so the sox sign him at 18M / 6yr.  You are correct! :)

mark it down!  This is a likely deal ;).  We shall see???????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Amp, don't think I can make loggers as it's a cross-country trip, but I'll be thinking of you tonight. Are you going to be able to get to spring training this year?

Me nether amp.  It's only a 3 minute ride, but my current 70hr work week won't allow.  Gotta head in for yet another 10 hr Sunday.  UGHHHHH.   Good thing I love my real world job, as my make believe GM & player agent prospects are highly suspect!   ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

If the Red Sox re-sign Jacoby Ellsbury, it would effectively cost the Red Sox a higher draft pick than the draft pick Seattle would lose if the Mariners sign Ellsbury (which I hope the M's won't because of the likely expensive long-term commitment).

Now that Ellsbury has declined the qualifying offer, the Red Sox are pretty much guaranteed* a sandwich-round compensatory draft pick if Ellsbury signs elsewhere. The Sox "lose" that draft pick if they re-sign Ellsbury.

If Seattle signs Ellsbury, the Mariners forfeit only their second-round draft pick because their first-round pick is protected.

My point is that re-signing Ellsbury has a cost beyond the years and dollars.

* the Red Sox will receive the draft pick unless Ellsbury signs outside MLB (such as Japan or an Independent League), retires or dies (heaven forbid). Unlikely events.

who cares..i'd rather sign ellsbury...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

P.s.  I think Amp is familiar with the saying "dance with the girl who brung ya."  Just a little mock outrage :)

Watch the Yankees dirt dog.  We should never forget  those lying bas@@rds said they had no interest in Damon and made no play for Teixeira while we were negotiating for him.  Then they swooped down at the last minute and got them both.  If Boras can convince the Yankees to spend their rear ends off, a common Yankee  habit, Ells may end up in pinstripes.  His return to the Red Sox is still a very distant possibility.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mikeysmantle's comment:

Choices:

1. Ellsbury + 100 million plus

2. Bradley + Corey Hart or Rajia Davis and a few million + Draft Pick

Ellsbury will not be back with the Red Sox. Does anyone who chooses #1 need a prescription for Crawford's disease? 

The problem is Bradley is clearly not ready so you would need someone better than Davis while Bradley starts in AAA. Ellsbury is by far the hardest of the FA to replace because they don't have anyone ready. At least with catcher you can find out wha you really have with Lavarnway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

It has been reported that Ells is likely to sign with the Sox at 6 years $18.5

I can live with this deal.  One year too many, but I think he's worth it. The guy is in phenomenal shape, & is likely to be a very fit 37 yr old.  He'll be a bargain at years 3, 4, & probably 5.

sounds ok.  Go for it Ben!  I think you're getting One over on Borras!

Got a link to prove that? Sounds absurd....about twice what he is worth.

So you think he is worth $9 milliobn a year? You are dumber than I thought.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The problem is Bradley is clearly not ready so you would need someone better than Davis while Bradley starts in AAA. Ellsbury is by far the hardest of the FA to replace because they don't have anyone ready. At least with catcher you can find out wha you really have with Lavarnway.

Was Pedey "clearly not ready" his first year?

JBJ's sample size is way way way too small to judge that he is "clearly not ready".

It may turn out that he needs more time, but at least his defense is high plus.

To me, saying Lava "clearly is not ready" makes more sense than saying the same about JBJ.

Also, we could replace Jacoby with Victorino, which I think is less of a step down than Salty to Lava. Nava (or Brentz) could play RF, with Carp/Gomes in LF, or we could find a much cheaper OF option like Rajai Davis. This would certainly be a step down from Jacoby, but with $18-20M to spend by not bringing Ellsbury back, we could upgrade 2-4 other positions instead.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I understand that the Yankees are making a play for Ells, but are uncharacteristically gun shy about a deal approaching 20M/yr.  They are currently toying with a new frugality philosophy, visa vi The Famed Red Sox....  Boras thinks they will offer 18+ / 6+ in the end.  Ells will sign with the Red Sox for close to that, as he thinks the Yankees are, "a bunk of beardless Losers!"   Not my quote......

Sources say he wants back with HIS team,not a bunch of "has beens!"

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

P.s.  I think Amp is familiar with the saying "dance with the girl who brung ya."  Just a little mock outrage :)

Watch the Yankees dirt dog.  We should never forget  those lying bas@@rds said they had no interest in Damon and made no play for Teixeira while we were negotiating for him.  Then they swooped down at the last minute and got them both.  If Boras can convince the Yankees to spend their rear ends off, a common Yankee  habit, Ells may end up in pinstripes.  His return to the Red Sox is still a very distant possibility.

Fred, the NYY said they were going with Bubba Trammell in CF.  You can't believe these things.

Sections
Shortcuts