Nominations for Captain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Nominations for Captain

In Response to Re: Nominations for Captain:
    [QUOTE]The manager should be the " Captain ."  Having a player as captain is often just a manager shirking his responsibility.  If it is merely a symbolic thing , then Pedroia would be a good choice.  But , I don't think it would be fair to expect Pedroia to get on his teammates.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I think that for the most part, it is a symbolic thing.  However, there are times when I think hearing something from another player, a team leader, is much more effective than hearing it from the manager. 

Papi gave a rah-rah type of speech to the team in 2007 when the Sox were down 3-1 in the ALCS, mentioning something along the lines of beng a bad MF if you're wearing a Red Sox uniform.  We don't know exactly what went on in the clubhouse, but I would have liked to see Varitek or Papi give that kind of rallying talk to the team last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox should give it to me, or no one...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Nominations for Captain": [QUOTE]The Sox should give it to me, or no one... Posted by notin[/QUOTE] Either you, Chara or maybe Bergeron

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

FORT MYERS, Fla. - With Jason Varitek unlikely to be walking through JetBlue Park doorways soon unless it is to retire, Dustin Pedroia was asked about being a captain.

“I don’t even think about that stuff," he said. "It’s Day One for me. I just want to have a good practice and help the team."

Pedroia, who spent all of Tuesday shooting a Sullivan Tire commercial at JetBlue Park said "I’m excited to go play again. Last year the end was tough, but we have to regroup together and come out and play good baseball year long."

Pedroia hadn't yet delved into his new manager Bobby Valentine, but said, "I don’t know, I’ve been here a day and half. I’ve met him a couple of times. From what I hear he is thinking about baseball nonstop and thinking about fundamentals and getting this team where it needs to be. It’s going to be exciting.”

On how to put last year behind: “Play the game the right way That’s basically it. I don’t have answers to what went on last year. Last year is over. It was tough. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about it. You have to try to turn the page and not think about it and play well and play for your teammates."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

I think it's obvious from last year's collapse that the sawx don't have anybody who can step up and be a leader on this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Captain by Committee is a good idea. As Ortiz said they are all adult men now and don't need to be babysat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]Captain by Committee is a good idea. As Ortiz said they are all adult men now and don't need to be babysat.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Really? Certainly looked like they could have used a babysitter last year to keep them away from the chicken, beer and video games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Dustin is certainly most-deserving and the best candidate.  But I am all for giving the big C patch a break for a minute.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely. Pedey if anyone, but no one for now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Nominations for Captain:
    [QUOTE]My nomination for the new Captain of this club is Pedie the dirtdog.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]HAMMAH MY FELLOW VET....... YOU SURPRISE ME CALLING FOR A CAPTAIN.......  I CAN TELL YOU NOW, THAT THERE WON'T BE ONE AS BOBBY V. IS BRINGING  DICK WILLIAMS & 1967 BACK AND DOING AWAY WITH A ONE MAN LEADER.  HE WILL BE ASKING THE ENTIRE TEAM TO STEP UP AND LEAD........  LIKE IN THE NAVY, IT'S NOT THE OFFICERS, BUT RATHER THE CHIEFS THAN LEAD THE WAY !!!!Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Nominations for Captain : HAMMAH MY FELLOW VET....... YOU SURPRISE ME CALLING FOR A CAPTAIN.......  I CAN TELL YOU NOW, THAT THERE WON'T BE ONE AS BOBBY V. IS BRINGING  DICK WILLIAMS & 1967 BACK AND DOING AWAY WITH A ONE MAN LEADER.  HE WILL BE ASKING THE ENTIRE TEAM TO STEP UP AND LEAD........  LIKE IN THE NAVY, IT'S NOT THE OFFICERS, BUT RATHER THE CHIEFS THAN LEAD THE WAY !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

I heard that they have hired David Wells to ration out beer from the refrigerator. He is a no-nonsense type of a guy and never touches the stuff himself. You can tell by his flat stomach. A photo of Billy Martin on the wall would be another good idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]Shelve the "C" for now.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

THIS.

unfortunately KFC and Budweiser declined the "C".
    one would think that if you had a "captain" chicken and beer would wait until after the final out or heads would roll.
    Bury the C for a decade or two.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nominations for Captain : THIS. unfortunately KFC and Budweiser declined the "C". one would think that if you had a "captain" chicken and beer would wait until after the final out or heads would roll. Bury the C for a decade or two.......
    Posted by slasher9[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Re: We are balanced.

posted at 2/21/2012 9:35 PM EST
    First: 12/18/2011
    Last: 2/22/2012
    Being short, chubby, bald, drinking beer in the morning and having a best friend walks around with a bird on his shoulder is very dorky. Rusty has a valid point here.                      

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Nominations for Captain": Bingo! It seems he wants to finish his career here. He enjoys mixing it up with the media, either good or bad. His uniform is always dirty after the second inning. He never wants a day off.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

All true.  But that makes him a, if not the, de facto captain.  I don't think making him an official captain would change him or anyone's perception of him.  Many teams don't bother with captains, the Sox should be one of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I believe that everyone in the clubhouse knows who the captain is anyway...and that is what matters in the long run.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox should give it to me, or no one...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I can't quite give my blessing to that as you aren't an on-field player....but how many of the Sox grew up as Sox fans?  Any?  How many won't leave for more money at some point?  I'd like to think some wouldn't, but who knows?

But if they did give the captaincy to Notin, Moon, Space or SinceYaz I could live with it.

I could also live with Jete, Zac or Hill throwing out a first pitch.    ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]Forget the "C" on the uniform jersey, that's for hockey.    The same with "A" for Assistant Captain. A Captain leads by example and is likely to be a career member of the Sox and not go elsewhere when his free agency time arrives.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]
     Absolutely. The "C" on a baseball jersey is lame.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: but yeah valentine would of been more open to Dmatts way of doing things
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] he'd pretty much have to, since he accused the Sox of "Americanizing" Matsuzaka, while he was at ESPN.... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nominations for Captain : he'd pretty much have to, since he accused the Sox of "Americanizing" Matsuzaka, while he was at ESPN.... 
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

which he's tried to back peddle on, ie his comments about Beckett pitching slowly, which he says he now understands after speaking with him and now condones it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nominations for Captain : which he's tried to back peddle on, ie his comments about Beckett pitching slowly, which he says he now understands after speaking with him and now condones it.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] hey J, well i certainly understand Valentine's position on it, the comments were mostly a product of his job, he can step back and see the whole picture..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

The leader of the club will be made during the year. I like Pedie, as he leads by example, but would like a guy that is vocal too...lets hold off on the "C" for now...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Who has been a Red Sox player captain other than Yaz, Rice, and Tek?