Norman Rockwell painting of Boston Red Sox players could bring up to $30 million.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Norman Rockwell painting of Boston Red Sox players could bring up to $30 million.

Associated Press April 1, 2014

NEW YORK -- A New York City auctioneer says a Norman Rockwell painting of Boston Red Sox players could bring up to $30 million.

The painting appeared on the cover of the March 2, 1957, issue of the Saturday Evening Post. The title is: "The Rookie (Red Sox Locker Room)." Christie's is offering it May 22 with a pre-sale estimate of $20 million to $30 million.

The painting shows pitcher Frank Sullivan, right fielder Jackie Jensen, catcher Sammy White, second baseman Billy Goodman and Hall of Famer Ted Williams.

The anonymous owner acquired it in 1986.

The painting was exhibited at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston in 2005 and '08.

In December, Rockwell's 1951 "Saying Grace" sold at Sotheby's for $46 million. It set an action record for the artist.

Norman Rockwell's painting "The Rookie" is estimated to fetch between $20 million to $30 million at auction.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Norman Rockwell painting of Boston Red Sox players could bring up to $30 million.

Sorry, I have tried a few times to copy & paste the photo and/or use the add image highlighted link but can't. You can copy & paste the below into Google if you wish to see the painting.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10708580/norman-rockwell-painting-boston-red-sox-fetch-30-million-auction

PS...if one of you computer gurus, I am not, can find the painting & post it, I'm sure fans interested will appreciate it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Norman Rockwell painting of Boston Red Sox players could bring up to $30 million.

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry, I have tried a few times to copy & paste the photo and/or use the add image link but can't.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10708580/norman-rockwell-painting-boston-red-sox-fetch-30-million-auction

[/QUOTE]

Must be nice to have that kind of spare change for a painting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Looks like Jimmy Stewart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU !!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like the picture a lot, but Williams doesn't look like the Williams I remember.  By then he was about 40, not 60. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I wouldn't hang it in my home, but I'm no fan of Rockwell generally.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

"I'll give you $30 for the painting." 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"I'll give you $30 for the painting." 

[/QUOTE]

Hell, the frame's worth $30; I won't take less than $50.

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!  Laughing

"Chum Lee, write him up!!!"   lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I have it hanging in my livingroom.

My all time favorite!

:)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I do not think he was a gifted artist and that maybe the painting from a one of kind with the players involved for a baseball aficionado collector maybe, like baseball cards, would value it at $5000-$25,000. Price, of course, depends upon a willing buyer but $30 Million ???

But Rockwell was a Patriot. On a trip back East from Ca we visited the Berkshires for a few days and enjoyed the colonial towns of Lenox, Pittsfield, Adams etc. but I felt a highlight of the trip was a visit to the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge. He was encouraged by the President to paint scenes to cheer the public during the depressing days of WW2. I enjoyed seeing his 34 "Saturday Evening Post" covers relating to WW2. They depicted the human side of the war, buy war bonds, encouraged women to work, and encouraged men to enlist in the service. His  illustrations used themes of patriotism, longing, shifting gender roles, reunion, love, work, community and family during wartime to promote the war. Again, I did not feel they were works of art but, I reiterate, their themes were Patriotic and I am sure lifted the spirits of many Americans, especially those with family in the military, at the time.

Sections
Shortcuts