Not Frugal Enough

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Not Frugal Enough

The only way i see us being better then last year is if some of our old players pick it up a notch, we have not added anything to this team - we have actually thrown money out the window. 

We have signed two players to 3 year deal @ 13M each who frankly are so so players and three years is a lifetime as far as those contracts. 

Mike Napoli - HR 23 RBI 56 .259 - for a small fraction of that we already have a HR 25 RBI 59 .222 hitter in Salty - so dont understand that move (yeah we need a 1B but others are out there). Heck we could have tried to sign Youk again (again not sure if all his issues where based on Valintine) but at $12M for 1yr he would have been a steal compared to Napoli (and there is something to be said about players who have been here and played here before) 

Shane Victorino - again 3yrs $13M per???? HR 11 RBI 55 .255 - Cubs are desperate to unload Alfonso Soriano with $36M 2yrs left on his contract (heck rumors says they would even eat some of it) HR 32 RBI 108 .262 - would that be an improvement over Victorino with less risk over 2 years?

I would have rather offered Cody Ross 3yr @ 10M per year then Victorino - .267 HR 22 RBI 81 and only 31 years old. 

Why didnt we go after Dan Harden - espcially if he was willing to go 1 yr - $12M/$13M is well worth the risk. 

I just dont see what they are doning with $26M tied up for next three years are junk players. 

Granted there was really no franchise changing player in FA (this year no idea about next) and we are going to have to go the trade route to really make a splash. 

I don't know on paper we just look no better then end of last year -  again unless all the former All-Stars decide to play like All-Stars again 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Not Frugal Enough

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only way i see us being better then last year is if some of our old players pick it up a notch,

What if we have only ten go on the DL instead of 32?

What if Pedroia, Papi, Ellsbury, and Middlebrooks are healthy all year.

Beckett " The evil clubhouse cancer" is gone.

Valentine whom DannyCater insists lost us forty games is gone.

ChickenGate is a mere memory.

Bucholz is back from surgery and looking good.

Lackey is recovered from TJ surgery and could excel.

We have a catcher who can throw out runners.

Manager has his own coaches.

Morales, Tazawa, Miller, Doubrount looking good.

Why so gloomy?

[/QUOTE]

I predict the 2013 Red Sox will only be a 55-win team, but John Farrell will single-handedly win us 50 games with managerial voodoo powers, and we will cruise to the World Series as a result.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only way i see us being better then last year is if some of our old players pick it up a notch,

What if we have only ten go on the DL instead of 32?

What if Pedroia, Papi, Ellsbury, and Middlebrooks are healthy all year.

Beckett " The evil clubhouse cancer" is gone.

Valentine whom DannyCater insists lost us forty games is gone.

ChickenGate is a mere memory.

Bucholz is back from surgery and looking good.

Lackey is recovered from TJ surgery and could excel.

We have a catcher who can throw out runners.

Manager has his own coaches.

Morales, Tazawa, Miller, Doubrount looking good.

Why so gloomy?

[/QUOTE]

I predict the 2013 Red Sox will only be a 55-win team, but John Farrell will single-handedly win us 50 games with managerial voodoo powers, and we will cruise to the World Series as a result.

[/QUOTE]

All I know it won't be any worst then last year. I will predict 81 wins, why not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Duffie33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only way i see us being better then last year is if some of our old players pick it up a notch.

[/QUOTE]

that was the only way we would get better in 2013 regardless of who we signed/traded for.

a return to form from our existing stars and good health will get us the biggest jump in the standings... not signing hamilton and grienke.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The only way i see us being better then last year is if some of our old players pick it up a notch.

[/QUOTE]

that was the only way we would get better in 2013 regardless of who we signed/traded for.

a return to form from our existing stars and good health will get us the biggest jump in the standings... not signing hamilton and grienke.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The talent is there. If the regulars (Pedey, Papi, Ells, Middlebrooks) can stay healthy to go along with the new additions, our offense should be top 5 again.

Lester, Buch, lackey are all capable of 15 wins. Doubie finished strong this year and should be expected to improve more. Dempster started out rough with Texas, but then got things back on track. If he gives us 12 wins and a 4.50 era or lower Im good.

Now I know all this probably wont happen, but With the new additions, including manager/coaching staff, I think the talent is there to make the playoffs. I dont expect it, but wont be surprised either if they do get there.

The ALE is up for grabs right now. theres no clear leader this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The talent is there. If the regulars (Pedey, Papi, Ells, Middlebrooks) can stay healthy to go along with the new additions, are offense should be top 5 again.

Lester, Buch, lackey are all capable of 15 wins. Doubie finished strong this year and should be expected to improve more. Dempster started out rough with Texas, but then got things back on track. If he gives us 12 wins and a 4.50 era or lower Im good.

Now I know all this probably wont happen, but With the new additions, including manager/coaching staff, I think the talent is there to make the playoffs. I dont expect it, but wont be surprised either if they do get there.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Southpaw,

I agree that this team should be competitive next year if they have an "average injury" type season.  One guy who has covered all four major sports for last 20 years told me he's never seen a clubhouse so "dysfunctional" in any sport, and he said it started in Spring Training.  Clubhouse chemistry is more important nowadays because guys are making way too much money.  40 years ago, most guys were playing for their next contract so there were no "I don't care, I'm still getting paid" attitudes.  Some of the stories were pretty enlightening about what went on, and there will be a book or two about this past season down the road.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The talent is there. If the regulars (Pedey, Papi, Ells, Middlebrooks) can stay healthy to go along with the new additions, are offense should be top 5 again.

[/QUOTE]

If the Jays get Dickey, then Balt and Jays will be the teams in the ALE. Over all this div. will be one hell of battle next year. The Jays were the laughing stock now they finally did the boldest move so far in the off season, with the Dodgers right behind them and can't forget the Angels. Even though I am a Red Sox fan living in southern Ontario, when i do go watch some Toronto baseball games at least it will be entertaining to watch.  The Blue Jays fans finally got what they wish for a team that can actually make the play-offs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Southpaw,

I agree that this team should be competitive next year if they have an "average injury" type season.  One guy who has covered all four major sports for last 20 years told me he's never seen a clubhouse so "dysfunctional" in any sport, and he said it started in Spring Training.  Clubhouse chemistry is more important nowadays because guys are making way too much money.  40 years ago, most guys were playing for their next contract so there was no "I don't care, I'm still getting paid" attitudes.  Some of the stories were pretty enlightening about what went on, and there will be a book or two about this past season down the road.   

[/QUOTE]

Cant wait to hear some of those stories.

Clubhouse chemistry is very important and part of a teams success. Its no wonder the team moral was in the toilet last year. I expect a lot better this year. can they win 90 games? I dont see why not. Will they? We'll find that out soon enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

The only way i see us being better then last year is if some of our old players pick it up a notch, we have not added anything to this team - we have actually thrown money out the window. 

We have signed two players to 3 year deal @ 13M each who frankly are so so players and three years is a lifetime as far as those contracts. 

Mike Napoli - HR 23 RBI 56 .259 - for a small fraction of that we already have a HR 25 RBI 59 .222 hitter in Salty - so dont understand that move (yeah we need a 1B but others are out there). Heck we could have tried to sign Youk again (again not sure if all his issues where based on Valintine) but at $12M for 1yr he would have been a steal compared to Napoli (and there is something to be said about players who have been here and played here before) 

Shane Victorino - again 3yrs $13M per???? HR 11 RBI 55 .255 - Cubs are desperate to unload Alfonso Soriano with $36M 2yrs left on his contract (heck rumors says they would even eat some of it) HR 32 RBI 108 .262 - would that be an improvement over Victorino with less risk over 2 years?

I would have rather offered Cody Ross 3yr @ 10M per year then Victorino - .267 HR 22 RBI 81 and only 31 years old. 

Why didnt we go after Dan Harden - espcially if he was willing to go 1 yr - $12M/$13M is well worth the risk. 

I just dont see what they are doning with $26M tied up for next three years are junk players. 

Granted there was really no franchise changing player in FA (this year no idea about next) and we are going to have to go the trade route to really make a splash. 

I don't know on paper we just look no better then end of last year -  again unless all the former All-Stars decide to play like All-Stars again 

[/QUOTE]

They've gone from bad to mediocre.  At least it's a professional team and not half a AAA team.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Southpaw,

I agree that this team should be competitive next year if they have an "average injury" type season.  One guy who has covered all four major sports for last 20 years told me he's never seen a clubhouse so "dysfunctional" in any sport, and he said it started in Spring Training.  Clubhouse chemistry is more important nowadays because guys are making way too much money.  40 years ago, most guys were playing for their next contract so there was no "I don't care, I'm still getting paid" attitudes.  Some of the stories were pretty enlightening about what went on, and there will be a book or two about this past season down the road.   

[/QUOTE]

Cant wait to hear some of those stories.

Clubhouse chemistry is very important and part of a teams success. Its no wonder the team moral was in the toilet last year. I expect a lot better this year. can they win 90 games? I dont see why not. Will they? We'll find that out soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...It sounded to me like plan A was flip Ellsbury in a deal for Cliff Lee and sign Hamilton to a high $, 3 year deal with some options, which is why they went after Victorino.  If they were able to move Ellsbury, they could move Victorino to center.  If not, Victorino gives them the kind of right field defense they haven't had since Drew was here.   Also, of all the free agents they signed, none of them cost a draft pick, and all of them would have value at the deadline if they are out of it.  Considering what was available, it's seems to be a sound plan.  If they are competitive, which some people in baseball expect them to be, then great, but if not, they should get a decent return on some of these guys. 

Few other things:

It seems a lot of people are high on Steven Wright, the knuckleballer they got for Lars Anderson.

The Sox had no interest in McCarthy, just didn't think he was worth the risk, his medicals aren't great and the line drive to the head was a concern.  They wanted a guy who they could count on for innings. 

One writer called Josh Beckett a "despicable human being."

Adrian Gonzalez wanted out of here badly and claimed he was "pressured" into signing a long term deal.  They were going to grant his wish this off season even if the Dodgers didn't take that deal in August. 

A few people think Lackey will have a very good year, now that he is healthy and seems determined to resurrect his career. 

A lot of people in the Sox Front Office think Ellsbury is too soft (not the phrase that was used) and they don't have a lot of interest in bringing him back at all.  He was "very available" in Nashville, but they'll gladly let him play for a contract and take the pick.  If they're out of it at the deadline, he'll obviously be a strong trade candidate. A lot can obviously change, though. 

Youk was "definitely" not coming back.  Too much water under the bridge there.