NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

Am I missing something?...must confess I am not anywhere sure of what is happening with Buckholz ... Think it is time to get a clear picture from Sox Front Office about what our  expectations should be... Is Buch the guy to carry the pitching corps on his back from.  August on or not?...the importance of such key player demands absolute transparency...If there is doubt, get somebody bigger than Garza asap...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

They have to tell us nothing. They know what is going on. BTW if they tell everyone he won't be back till August sometime that puts them in a bad position for a trade.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Am I missing something?...must confess I am not anywhere sure of what is happening with Buckholz ... Think it is time to get a clear picture from Sox Front Office about what our  expectations should be... Is Buch the guy to carry the pitching corps on his back from.  August on or not?...the importance of such key player demands absolute transparency...If there is doubt, get somebody bigger than Garza asap...

Why does it demand transparency? We are not entitled to know the details of his medical condition, even if they know. There are privacy laws protecting you and Buchholtz and everyone else. In addition there may be a competitive advantage to be gained if other teams learn the real extent of his injury-for example, how desperate we are for another SP. When was the last time Bill Belichick let you really know what is wrong with his players/ There is a reason for that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That's what I was thinking.  Announce to the world exactly what Buchholz' condition, assuming we can even be sure.  Then, after the price of any target doubles, maybe we should announce which prospects we have no faith in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/index.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

of course they have no need to say anything

but I don't see it hurting their negotiating position like several have suggested

it won't come down to if the sox offer enough

it will be just as much about what the other teams offer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Tell me lies, please.  Don't ruin the element of surprise.  Like Paul Pierce exiting the game in a wheelchair only to return as a hero later on in the game, or Schilling's bloody sock, let's have Buchholz enter the park in a full body cast and proceed to pitch another no hitter.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

of course they have no need to say anything

but I don't see it hurting their negotiating position like several have suggested

it won't come down to if the sox offer enough

it will be just as much about what the other teams offer

I agree, but there is still no reason to give away any advantage.  It will mostly come down to beating another team's offer, but we won't know that offer, and the opposing GM can feel a little more confident to exxagerate the other team's offer.

Just no positives coming out of fill disclosure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think anything's being covered up here.  I mean, Clay is out there giving us updates on his progress.  Does anybody think Clay is being coached on what to say?  Sometimes we overthink these things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Clay pitched in Citi Field as part of his rehab while he was at the ASG. Hes done interviews as well as the team about his situation. Theyve been pretty open about things. Do an internet search and you should find what your looking for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Read a little.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/15/clay-buchholz-has-to-slow-down-comeback-once-again/

It's innflammation of the bursa sac, in his shoulder.

I don't know why folks think this is some big mystery...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Read a little.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/15/clay-buchholz-has-to-slow-down-comeback-once-again/

[/QUOTE]

Im guessing he might have to get off season surgery because I have bursitis in my shoulders related to 2 past shoulder injuries. One speration and one sublexion. Sometimes the inflamation will go down, but It could easily return when he starts throwing a lot again. He can keep throwing, but it will be a bit uncomfortable. He shouldnt have any other serious issues related to it besides it being pretty sore and some "clicking and popping".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Read a little.

[/QUOTE]

Im guessing he might have to get off season surgery because I have bursitis in my shoulders related to 2 past shoulder injuries. One speration and one sublexion. Sometimes the inflamation will go down, but It could easily return when he starts throwing a lot again. He can keep throwing, but it will be a bit uncomfortable. He shouldnt have any other serious issues related to it besides it being pretty sore and some "clicking and popping".

[/QUOTE]

That's a possiblity.

I'm hoping the original injury wasn't that severe.

He says he may have aggravated it by trying to throw a little too soon.

Either way, if he can pitch effectively sometime this year, he should rest it as much as he needs.

Shoulder injuries are no fun.

Like a lot of body parts, you don't realize how much you use them, until they hurt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Here is a sobering quote from an orthopedic article I read about shoulder bursitis. Its quite possible the Buchholtz could be out for the season or, if he returns, it could be September. Apparently bursitis can last a long time:

Patients with shoulder bursitis almost always respond to non-surgical treatments. Usually these treatments begin to work quickly with resolution of symptoms over a period of one to three months. In some individuals who don't respond to simple treatments, surgery may end up being a necessary step.

Its been about a month now, I believe, and is still sore. Not sure its really smart to rush these things. As I wrote elsewhere, Buchholtz does seem to get a lot of injuries and that fact should be reflected in his next contract.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Here is a sobering quote from an orthopedic article I read about shoulder bursitis. Its quite possible the Buchholtz could be out for the season or, if he returns, it could be September. Apparently bursitis can last a long time:

Patients with shoulder bursitis almost always respond to non-surgical treatments. Usually these treatments begin to work quickly with resolution of symptoms over a period of one to three months. In some individuals who don't respond to simple treatments, surgery may end up being a necessary step.

Its been about a month now, I believe, and is still sore. Not sure its really smart to rush these things. As I wrote elsewhere, Buchholtz does seem to get a lot of injuries and that fact should be reflected in his next contract.

I had to stop doing what I was doing for work and switch jobs because of it. I didnt want surgery. After about 2-3 months it subsided. But seeing that Buch obviously uses his shoulder with max effort, he could be out for another month or more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It doesn't make sense that the Sox would be not revealing a more serious injury, because if there was one, than they wouldnt have Buch going out and throwing Bullpens....either he has a persisnt case of Bursitis, which I guess from what Pumpsie posted can be different in each person or he is being misdiagnosed.....as the below shows, Swelling of the Bursa Sac can be a symptom of a Rotator Cuff Injury...lets hope that isnt the case.

• Rotator Cuff Injury

A rotator cuff injury is damage to the muscles or tendons of your rotator cuff. A tendon is a cord of tough tissue that connects your muscles to your bones. The rotator cuff is made up of a group of muscles and tendons that hold the shoulder joint in place. The damage may include stretching of your muscle or tears in the tendons. It may also include inflammation of the bursa (small sack of fluid around the joint).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I had to stop doing what I was doing for work and switch jobs because of it. I didnt want surgery. After about 2-3 months it subsided. But seeing that Buch obviously uses his shoulder with max effort, he could be out for another month or more.

Seems like 2-3 months is standard with this injury. I am not expecting him back any time soon, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Cherington trade for a decent SP like Garza. I just hope he doesn't give up too much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Seems like 2-3 months is standard with this injury. I am not expecting him back any time soon, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Cherington trade for a decent SP like Garza. I just hope he doesn't give up too much.

[/QUOTE]

So far teams are not offering a lot in return for Garza. I hope its not a rotator cuff issue. Thats what they thought with me at first, but since I had prior shoulder injuries they ruled that out after a number of tests.

If the Sox are going to have to make a move for a starter, Id rather it be more of an Ace type than a MOTR pitcher like Garza. They have to try and make up for what Buch could give them and I just dont see that with garza. Im betting that there will be a few surprise names available for the right price that arent being mentioned right now.

like tomnev said, everyone is different and hopefully Buchholz situation isnt as bad as we might think.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Assuming the OP can handle the truth, here it is--

1.  Buchholz is the correct spelling of Clay's last name.

2.  Buchholz is on the DL list and has been for over a month.

3.  Because he was having such a great year, the Sox front office want him back in the rotation as soon as possible.  But the FO also does not want to endanger his long term future by bringing Buchholz back too soon.  The Sox have been able to win without him. 

4.  The prognosis for Buchholz is problematical.  This has happened with lots of other players and is in fact the norm.  Medicine, especially sports medicine, is both a science and an art. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

( from a very good article by Adam Kaufman all sox followers can read in Boston.com today 7/17/13) quote:

" It’s certainly a testament to the Red Sox pitching staff that the club has maintained its position atop the American League largely without Buchholz and absent what Jon Lesterhistorically provides, but that’s not something Buchholz should take solace in. That’s especially true with the trade deadline looming and the Sox wondering if they need another front-line starter because John LackeyRyan Dempster, and Felix Doubront – yes, you read that correctly – can only shoulder so much of the load. The Sox deserve to know where they stand with their best pitcher and right now that’s an irritating mystery."

does privacy rights apply to an injury incurred by a professional  athlete while doing his job, which injury was widely broadcasted and is nation wide known?...

furthermore, it is a standard practice to keep updating such kind of injuries in any sport...

Does anybody in baseball business ignore that the Buck uncertainty is a huge handicap in Sox chances for making a valuable trade?....

My most sincere take is to give 4 or 5 expendable prospects and huge cash consideration for Cliff Lee and Garza or something alike...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

( from a very good article by Adam Kaufman all sox followers can read in Boston.com today 7/17/13) quote:

" It’s certainly a testament to the Red Sox pitching staff that the club has maintained its position atop the American League largely without Buchholz and absent what Jon Lesterhistorically provides, but that’s not something Buchholz should take solace in. That’s especially true with the trade deadline looming and the Sox wondering if they need another front-line starter because John LackeyRyan Dempster, and Felix Doubront – yes, you read that correctly – can only shoulder so much of the load. The Sox deserve to know where they stand with their best pitcher and right now that’s an irritating mystery."

does privacy rights apply to an injury incurred by a professional  athlete while doing his job, which injury was widely broadcasted and is nation wide known?...

furthermore, it is a standard practice to keep updating such kind of injuries in any sport...

Does anybody in baseball business ignore that the Buck uncertainty is a huge handicap in Sox chances for making a valuable trade?....

My most sincere take is to give 4 or 5 expendable prospects and huge cash consideration for Cliff Lee and Garza or something alike...

[/QUOTE]

4 or 5 "expendable prospects" isn't enough to get both of those guys.

Even with cash.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Besides Buchholz, Im sure the team knows exactly whats going on with him medically. Thats who needs to know. Us fans and the media dont have to be told exactly whats going on every step of the way, Although the Sox have been pretty open about is progress and any setbacks.

They will make a decision based on Clays health and make a move if needed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Besides Buchholz, Im sure the team knows exactly whats going on with him medically. Thats who needs to know. Us fans and the media dont have to be told exactly whats going on every step of the way, Although the Sox have been pretty open about is progress and any setbacks.

I am not sure  thats true SP. The team may NOT know exactly how his condition will behave. They may have put a label on it (bursitis) but the condition behaves differently in different people. Response to treatment varies, so there remains some uncertaintly about when (or IF) Buchholtz will return this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I am not sure  thats true SP. The team may NOT know exactly how his condition will behave. They may have put a label on it (bursitis) but the condition behaves differently in different people. Response to treatment varies, so there remains some uncertaintly about when (or IF) Buchholtz will return this year.

Thats what I was saying. They know as much as they can know right now. Im sure they are aware that things could change and thats why I said based on his health they will make a move if they need too, knowing that his shoulder could react either way.

Maybe my choice of words (exactly) was a bit misleading, but what you said is what I was trying to get across. I figured most would understand what I meant though.

Sections
Shortcuts