Novel thought, just ban the press

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Novel thought, just ban the press

If you have a problem in a business, you deal with it by cutting loose the problem. The press doesn't have a right to cover the team, it's a privilege. They can still do their "job" by watching TV & writing about the game, the job they are supposed to do, instead of creating drama by making sh*t up. The Boston press has a horrible reputation, rightfully deserved, & maybe if one team takes the first step the rest of them will follow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Novel thought, just ban the press

Teddy ballgame and Jim Ed would have liked that idea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Novel thought, just ban the press:
    [QUOTE]If you have a problem in a business, you deal with it by cutting loose the problem. The press doesn't have a right to cover the team, it's a privilege. They can still do their "job" by watching TV & writing about the game, the job they are supposed to do, instead of creating drama by making sh*t up. The Boston press has a horrible reputation, rightfully deserved, & maybe if one team takes the first step the rest of them will follow.
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]

Posters on this board do a great job by themselves of making sht up.

But the mindset of banning the press and leave all info up to propaganda machines -- wow, talk about un-American point of view.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

While that will never happen, I would not be shocked to see the RS button down to be a lot more like the Patriots.

It could get to be a very flat world of cliches and the manager saying "an internal matter", "we are looking at that" and "manager's decision".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

As mentioned on another thread, Mazz seems to be fine with his license of making things up that are preposterous and completely false and selling them in his columns and on his talk radio gig. He rationalizes that the readers and listeners are aware and cognizant of the trickery.

On the OP, I was happier in my childhood listening to the Sox on my transistor radio and reading box scores than reading all of the soap opera staged by the media and talk radio. Our grandparents never had to live through this BS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press:
    [QUOTE]While that will never happen, I would not be shocked to see the RS button down to be a lot more like the Patriots. It could get to be a very flat world of cliches and the manager saying "an internal matter", "we are looking at that" and "manager's decision".
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Exactly what should be done and set up an interview room outside of the clubhouse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]As mentioned on another thread, Mazz seems to be fine with his license of making things up that are preposterous and completely false and selling them in his columns and on his talk radio gig. He rationalizes that the readers and listeners are aware and cognizant of the trickery. On the OP, I was happier in my childhood listening to the Sox on my transistor radio and reading box scores than reading all of the soap opera staged by the media and talk radio. Our grandparents never had to live through this BS.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Grandparents did have to live through Internet noise or talk show blowhards -- including the fans in both cases -- but as far as the print media, that isn't true.

There was the chumminess in some cases back in the '40s and that era, but in some respects, the media was much worse back then and was much more vindictive.

I know this might sound like an oxymoron but journalists are much more professional today than they were then. Of course, like any profession, there are those who choose not practice that professionalism.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Boston baseball media is rather tame when compared to the New York baseball media. The Boston media last winter were generally fawning over the Red Sox when the pitching staff needed more scrutiny.

When things go sideways -- as the Red Sox did in a big way in September -- we can't expect positive press coverage. The tone of the negative coverage has ranged from emotionally harsh to stoically inquisitory.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Couldn't agree more with the title of the thread. I think coverage of sports in general has gotten out of control. I wish it would go back to the time before athletes were celebrities. Unfortunately missed out on the Era, but i got to see not 1 but 2 red sox world series championships so im really not going to complain all that much.

Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Couldn't agree more with the title of the thread. I think coverage of sports in general has gotten out of control. I wish it would go back to the time before athletes were celebrities. Unfortunately missed out on the Era, but i got to see not 1 but 2 red sox world series championships so im really not going to complain all that much.  
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]
    Was Babe Ruth a celebrity?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Grandparents did have to live through Internet noise or talk show blowhards -- including the fans in both cases -- but as far as the print media, that isn't true. There was the chumminess in some cases back in the '40s and that era, but in some respects, the media was much worse back then and was much more vindictive. I know this might sound like an oxymoron but journalists are much more professional today than they were then. Of course, like any profession, there are those who choose not practice that professionalism.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

And I can name a few. But I wouldn't call them professionals.
    Those involved in a profession aren't necessarily pros.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : What about Agon, and the question about traveling? They took his response and played it out at a different time, which gave it a different meaning. What about trying to get players to turn on each other and expecting them to throw other players under the bus? Does that help the situation, or help their stories? They are like buzzards zeroing in on a fresh kill.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it any better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : Was Babe Ruth a celebrity?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Did the media cover Babe Ruths every single move 24 hours a day on multiple outlets non stop? would babe ruth have ever been on the cover of Extra?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Novel thought, just ban the press : What about Agon, and the question about traveling? They took his response and played it out at a different time, which gave it a different meaning. What about trying to get players to turn on each other and expecting them to throw other players under the bus? Does that help the situation, or help their stories? They are like buzzards zeroing in on a fresh kill.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    The media should have provided the proper context for the Adrian Gonzalez quote about travel.

The media would be remiss if they did not question players in an attempt to explain the September collapse. The player has the option of throwing a teammate under the bus ... or not.

Don't forget that the media "are like buzzards going in on a fresh kill" in good times as well. The baseball media descended on Boston following the 2004 World Series title.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The sad part is; media standards are low. I don't think folks realize the degree of regression. When a controversial piece is written, some try and justify it. There's no justifying hack writing. Not the writer nor the vehicle that allows it.

Ryan wrote a beautiful article recently about 2004. He is trying to find some light and rise above the circus of sensationalism. I suggest people read it. The writing is top notch in how Ryan creates the terse mood. He uses actual quotes from actual interviews. Not assumptions and innuendo. Then compare it to the hyperbole reader's have been fed. Huge difference.

It's like comparing HOF material to a 3rd stringer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

"The press doesn't have a right to cover the team, it's a privilege."

Covering the team is a right.  They play in a public stadium with all kinds of special provisions as part of the public sphere.

Of course, Hitler hated a free press, too.  OP must be from Texas.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

The players should take the opposite track, and intentionally mis-lead the media. pretend they have feuds and problems with other guys, then laugh as the the writers run with it. Remember Beltre's head touching "problem", hilarious!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

I don't have a problem with a free press. The sports press in Boston & NY take liberties by making up a lot of facts, if you want to call them that, because there's no repercussions for them. It's easy enough to see what goes on with them, unless you want contimue to stick your head in the sand. Reporters are supposed to report fact, not write fiction. Maybe that's the issue with them, Steven King envy. Anyway, why is it when the press say "unnamed sources" told them something, when they are asked who exactly told them, they can't remember? Don't try to b*llshit a bullsh*tter son, you're as sucessful as a 5 year old trying to lie to your dad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To me sportswriters are not what the Constitution is all about, but they still have a right to earn a living and report on the Sox, including those invaluable sessions with the players.  That is in fact where most of us get our information from that doesn't come from just watching the games. 

The Sox always have the right to respond.  If you think of September as the Tet Offensive of 1968, the Sox are like the LBJ administration--damning themselves by remaining silent.   So the sportswriters are having a field day.  All we need now is Walter Cronkite going on national TV and saying this team is unwinnable--or whatever. 

The press are indeed troublemakers.  That's their job.  Don't forget:  when the Sox were winning, the Boston press was just as over the top in saying how great this team was. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billpar. Show billpar's posts

Ted Williams may have been correct.  When the Boston writers would enter the clubhouse, Ted would allegedly bellow, "What smells in here?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Wah, wah, wah. The whining here about the media is incredible, especially considering that 90% of the Red sox coverage is favorable. As soon as they start to get a little critical, the boo-babies come out.
    I grew up in LA where sportswriters were notorious for dissecting teams. The Rams, Lakers, and Dodgers took a beating on a regular basis, most of the time deservedly so. These writers really made me mad but you know what? they didn't have a dog in the hunt, they were objective, something the Globe writers are not. They love the RS, and when they see a beloved team throw away the season, they react out of emotion, and write what they feel instead of being neutral, which is what they should be.
    These writers reacted just like the posters on this forum.