Now is the time for JCLinares

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Now is the time for JCLinares

Sorry DMac.  Nice game last night, but JCL can actually play CF or RF.

JCL 
    17 games  .367 / .449 / .617 /  1.066

I'm not worried about that other Sox OF represented by Boras re-signing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Now is the time for JCLinares

In Response to Now is the time for JCLinares:
    [QUOTE]Sorry DMac.  Nice game last night, but JCL can actually play CF or RF. JCL  17 games  .367 / .449 / .617 /  1.066 I'm not worried about that other Sox OF represented by Boras re-signing.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have a problem with that, but you forgot to mention that those are AA numbers.  Give the guy some time in AAA first, he missed almost all of last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Now is the time for JCLinares:
    [QUOTE]Sorry DMac.  Nice game last night, but JCL can actually play CF or RF. JCL  17 games  .367 / .449 / .617 /  1.066 I'm not worried about that other Sox OF represented by Boras re-signing.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

In AA.  What do you think Dmac would hit in AA?

Not saying he shouldn't get a shot but I don't know if his stats at AA for 60 at bats really say a whole lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Tom. Linares is 28 years old in AA. He has never been able to stay healthy. He has a horrible understanding of the strike zone, and his K/BB ration is poor. Is easily fooled by young pitchers in AA and veterans hanging on in AAA. Ok defensively, average arm. IMO both Byrd and Kalish are better defensive of's. Linares is simply not a major langue offensive player. The Sox were DESPERATE for OF help before the Byrd signing, and Linares never even entered the conversation. Nuff said.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares:
    [QUOTE]Tom. Linares is 28 years old in AA. He has never been able to stay healthy. He has a horrible understanding of the strike zone, and his K/BB ration is poor. Is easily fooled by young pitchers in AA and veterans hanging on in AAA. Ok defensively, average arm. IMO both Byrd and Kalish are better defensive of's. Linares is simply not a major langue offensive player. The Sox were DESPERATE for OF help before the Byrd signing, and Linares never even entered the conversation. Nuff said.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I disagree, maybe Byrd is never signed if Linares didn't turn an ankle on 1B about the night before IMO.

Nava, Lin, and Hermida all have gotten a look.  Green played how many games at SS?

IMO a mistake was made putting Lin in AAA and JCL in AA.

You boys should pull for him.  DMac can't field that well at all.  JCL has more upside, if only as a passable CF backup who hits LHP. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares : I disagree, maybe Byrd is never signed if Linares didn't turn an ankle on 1B about the night before IMO. Nava, Lin, and Hermida all have gotten a look.  Green played how many games at SS? IMO a mistake was made putting Lin in AAA and JCL in AA. You boys should pull for him.  DMac can't field that well at all.  JCL has more upside, if only as a passable CF backup who hits LHP. 
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

One of the knocks on this guy is he can't hit good off speed stuff and he'd get eaten alive in the Majors.  He's played about 60 games of Professional Baseball in his career and he's 27.  I'm pretty sure Linares' injury had nothing to do with the Byrd signing.  I'm not saying he'll never get a shot, but I wouldn't count on seeing him this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AA and AAA are not that far apart.

BTW, JC has a 40 HR per 600 AB pace in AAA (small sample).

I'd keep DMac at least until CC returns, but would replace Lars with JC tonight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares : I disagree, maybe Byrd is never signed if Linares didn't turn an ankle on 1B about the night before IMO. Nava, Lin, and Hermida all have gotten a look.  Green played how many games at SS? IMO a mistake was made putting Lin in AAA and JCL in AA. You boys should pull for him.  DMac can't field that well at all.  JCL has more upside, if only as a passable CF backup who hits LHP. 
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

In 510 at bats with the Red Sox Dmac has hit 251 with 16 homers, 74 Rbi's and 12 steals. Not bad for your 5th outfielder. His D is passable.  I know just like last year he is off to a bad start but I really don't see Linares being an upgrade at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]AA and AAA are not that far apart. BTW, JC has a 40 HR per 600 AB pace in AAA (small sample). I'd keep DMac at least until CC returns, but would replace Lars with JC tonight.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, you want to replace a left handed hitter in the line-up with a right handed hitter playing in AA, who struggles against off speed stuff, against a righthanded pitcher with above average off speed pitches?  Why?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares : Moon, you want to replace a left handed hitter in the line-up with a right handed hitter playing in AA, who struggles against off speed stuff, against a righthanded pitcher with above average off speed pitches?  Why?
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

I dont think he meant in the line up.  I think he meant on the roster.  

Linares over Anderson makes a lot more sense than Linares over Dmac.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm not sure why the Sox retain a coaching staff and scouts.

Obviously they should be reading these boards.

Think of the money they could save.

"Should we bring this pitcher up?"- Valentine

"Ask the posters on BDC forums, we might not know what's going on with our own team...those people are the real experts!"-Cherington

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares : I dont think he meant in the line up.  I think he meant on the roster.   Linares over Anderson makes a lot more sense than Linares over Dmac.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  I thought when he said "tonight," he meant for the game tonight, which obviously doesn't make any sense, but right now, we have 3 right handed hitting outfielders and two lefties.  I'm not sure it would be very smart to replace a lefty (Anderson) with a righty (Linares) to give us 4 righties and one lefty, especially when you face a lot more righthanded pitching...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure why the Sox retain a coaching staff and scouts. Obviously they should be reading these boards. Think of the money they could save. "Should we bring this pitcher up?"- Valentine "Ask the posters on BDC forums, we might not know what's going on with our own team...those people are the real experts!"-Cherington
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]CoolLaughingMoney mouth

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure why the Sox retain a coaching staff and scouts. Obviously they should be reading these boards. Think of the money they could save. "Should we bring this pitcher up?"- Valentine "Ask the posters on BDC forums, we might not know what's going on with our own team...those people are the real experts!"-Cherington
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

So management is always right?  Repko?

So who was right, the majority of posters (at that time) or Sox management when:

Lackey was signed
    Crawford was signed
    Tito "has our total confidence"
    Hermida was traded for and played some of the worst LF in a long time.
    Cameron was signed (I sided with management and was wrong)
    When Teix was almost signed (management got lucky he is a NYY problem)
    Anderson and Bowden were not traded when they had value

These omniscient scouts and coaches let a situation transpire that Nick Green played 104 games at SS on a huge payroll 2009 Sox team.  They never make huge mistakes?

How many bit part successes have there been?:
    Casey           .773
    Kotsay        .631 ('08) .615 ('09)
    Green         .669
    Baldelli       .744
    Kotchman   .572
    LaRoche      .789
    Woodward   .396
    Hall            .772
    Patterson   .698
    Lopez       .779
    Aviles       .755 ('11)
    Cameron  .729 ('10) .477 ('11)
    DMac       .766 ('10) .704 ('11)
    Sutton    .807
    Jackson   .543

Not many diamonds in the rough, congrats to Sutton!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, you want to replace a left handed hitter in the line-up with a right handed hitter playing in AA, who struggles against off speed stuff, against a righthanded pitcher with above average off speed pitches?  Why?

I disagree with your premises, so answering your question after that intro is hard to do. We have neough LH'd hitters already. JC is a better LF'er than Lars. His major issue has been injury. When he is healthy, he has done well. Play him until he gets hurt.

Lars has "struggled" with certain pitches as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

forget linares, play sweeney!!! i don't see how one of the best hitters on the team is still only playing every other day!!!

it should be sweeney/ross/byrd in the OF every game! with Dmac spelling them every few days. god its baffling.. i know last night was against a LHP but how do you expect him to raise his #s against LHP if you never play him when a lefty is pitching?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]Moon, you want to replace a left handed hitter in the line-up with a right handed hitter playing in AA, who struggles against off speed stuff, against a righthanded pitcher with above average off speed pitches?  Why? I disagree with your premises, so answering your question after that intro is hard to do. We have neough LH'd hitters already. JC is a better LF'er than Lars. His major issue has been injury. When he is healthy, he has done well. Play him until he gets hurt. Lars has "struggled" with certain pitches as well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, again, we have 3 right handed hitting outfielders and two lefties, why tip the scales even farther to give us four righties and only one lefty, when you face alot more right handed pitchers?  Lars has at least actually played Major League Baseball, while Linares has played all of 60 something games of Pro ball in total, none of them in the Majors. "When he is healthy, he has done well " in a pretty small AA & AAA sample. I'll agree to disagree and go with the scouts on this one who say he gets eaten alive by good breaking stuff..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, again, we have 3 right handed hitting outfielders and two lefties, why tip the scales even farther to give us four righties and only one lefty, when you face alot more right handed pitchers?  Lars has at least actually played Major League Baseball, while Linares has played all of 60 something games of Pro ball in total, none of them in the Majors. "When he is healthy, he has done well " in a pretty small AA & AAA sample. I'll agree to disagree and go with the scouts on this one who say he gets eaten alive by good breaking stuff..

...and what do the scouts say about the hole in Lars' swing? 

I happen to think JC has way more upside than Byrd, lars and DMac. It's that simple to me. That's why I want him here instead of Lars vs righties or lefties. Lars is not an OF'er. Maybe in Fenway we can get away with it for a game or two, but "tonight" we are on the road.

2010-2011:
    JC has 7 HRs and 23 RBIs in his last 120 ABs. (600 AB pace 35 Hrs/115 RBIs)
    Lars has 15 Hrs and 86 RBIs in his last 546 ABs  (600 pace: 16 HRs/94 RBIs)

Maybe I was fooled by the nice spring JC had in 2011:
    25 ABs  .320/.370/.520/.890

We have enough lefties in our line-up:
    Papi
    AGon
    Sweeney
    Shoppach
    Salty (SH)
    Punto (SH)

We also have several RH'd hitters who hit righties well:
    Pedey  1.020  (.800 in 2011/.910 in 2010)
    Ross      .883
    Aviles   .828
    Shopp 1.143

I think JC has higher upside than Byrd and DMac, but only Lars can be sent down without maybe losing them. JC would play if healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

forget linares, play sweeney!!! i don't see how one of the best hitters on the team is still only playing every other day!!!

Wait until the sample size is larger. Sweeney has traditionally been horrible vs LHPs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Now is the time for JCLinares": [QUOTE]Moon, again, we have 3 right handed hitting outfielders and two lefties, why tip the scales even farther to give us four righties and only one lefty, when you face alot more right handed pitchers?  Lars has at least actually played Major League Baseball, while Linares has played all of 60 something games of Pro ball in total, none of them in the Majors. "When he is healthy, he has done well " in a pretty small AA & AAA sample. I'll agree to disagree and go with the scouts on this one who say he gets eaten alive by good breaking stuff.. ...and what do the scouts say about the hole in Lars' swing?  I happen to think JC has way more upside than Byrd, lars and DMac. It's that simple to me. That's why I want him here instead of Lars vs righties or lefties. Lars is not an OF'er. Maybe in Fenway we can get away with it for a game or two, but "tonight" we are on the road. 2010-2011: JC has 7 HRs and 23 RBIs in his last 120 ABs. (600 AB pace 35 Hrs/115 RBIs) Lars has 15 Hrs and 86 RBIs in his last 546 ABs  (600 pace: 16 HRs/94 RBIs) Maybe I was fooled by the nice spring JC had in 2011: 25 ABs  .320/.370/.520/.890 We have enough lefties in our line-up: Papi AGon Sweeney Shoppach Salty (SH) Punto (SH) We also have several RH'd hitters who hit righties well: Pedey  1.020  (.800 in 2011/.910 in 2010) Ross      .883 Aviles   .828 Shopp 1.143 I think JC has higher upside than Byrd and DMac, but only Lars can be sent down without maybe losing them. JC would play if healthy. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] Fair enough, "you think Linares has more upside" than the other guys based on some limited professional stats and a solid spring in '11. I guess you disagree when scouts say he can't hit breaking stuff and you think he can. Could this be an other case of you not being very high on Middlebrooks, yet admittedly you posted that you "couldn't put your finger on why." I'm not picking on you, Moon, I think you are an asset to the board, but I just happen to disagree with you here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares : Moon, again, we have 3 right handed hitting outfielders and two lefties, why tip the scales even farther to give us four righties and only one lefty, when you face alot more right handed pitchers?  Lars has at least actually played Major League Baseball, while Linares has played all of 60 something games of Pro ball in total, none of them in the Majors. "When he is healthy, he has done well " in a pretty small AA & AAA sample. I'll agree to disagree and go with the scouts on this one who say he gets eaten alive by good breaking stuff..
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Hey jasko

Good stuff.  I checked DMac's hitting vs different pitches.  No surprise, he is poor against almost all breaking stuff and good against the FB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fair enough, "you think Linares has more upside" than the other guys based on some limited professional stats and a solid spring in '11. I guess you disagree when scouts say he can't hit breaking stuff and you think he can. 

Hve you read any scout reports on the holes in Lars' swing?

I never said I thought he can hit breaking stuff. Stop putting words in my mouth. I am just saying I think JC is a better hitter than Lars, and probably better than DMac and Byrd as well. Maybe I just think the hole in his swing is less than the holes in the other 3's swings. Isn't that a valid psoition to hold?

Could this be an other case of you not being very high on Middlebrooks, yet admittedly you posted that you "couldn't put your finger on why." I'm not picking on you, Moon, I think you are an asset to the board, but I just happen to disagree with you here.

I'm fine with disagreeing, and I'm not totally sold on the position that JC is a better choice than the 3 above. It's a close call. I respect your opinion here, and perhaps my curiosity about JC's potential has clouded my judgement. I am not an expert on minor leaguers and prospects. I still have an opinion, and will admit my mistake if I ever have to.

I'm warming up to Middlebrooks more and more. I think it was more about me being high on Cecchini and Bogaerts than so low on Will.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's a couple of clips I found on youtube of jc doing his thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E13wHn3UnkU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJwbS4uwgA4

They're both from last year when he was playing for Pawtucket before he got hurt. He actually started playing professional baseball in Cuba in 2007, where was apparently an all star. He played for the Havana Cowboys in the Cuban super league, which is essentially a league of 4 all star teams. While there he put up OPS's of 1.053, 0.974 and 1.018. That was when the Red Sox gave him $750k. So far in the Sox system he's hit 0.646, 0.662, 0.781, and 0.929. He plays pretty good defense and has an arm that won't hurt you very often. One thing you can say bad about him that I thinki is fair was brought up by rkarp I think. He doesn't take enough pitches. He does seem to be a pretty aggressive hitter. Anyway I like him and hope he gets a shot in Fenway this year. I don't know if I like him better than DMac, he'd have to show me something in the show first.
    I also don't think you need to worry about being too lefthanded when you have Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz. Those two are unquestionably two of the best lefthanded hitters in baseball.
    I'd definitely take jc over Lars in the outfield, but I think Ben might have a plan here. The way I figure it the Sox are showcasing Lars for a trade, hopefully to Oakland, because I think Lars could maybe thrive here. When that drops, that's when you'll see jc in Fenway I think.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now is the time for JCLinares : So management is always right?  Repko? So who was right, the majority of posters (at that time) or Sox management when: Lackey was signed Crawford was signed Tito "has our total confidence" Hermida was traded for and played some of the worst LF in a long time. Cameron was signed (I sided with management and was wrong) When Teix was almost signed (management got lucky he is a NYY problem) Anderson and Bowden were not traded when they had value These omniscient scouts and coaches let a situation transpire that Nick Green played 104 games at SS on a huge payroll 2009 Sox team.  They never make huge mistakes? How many bit part successes have there been?: Casey           .773 Kotsay        .631 ('08) .615 ('09) Green         .669 Baldelli       .744 Kotchman   .572 LaRoche      .789 Woodward   .396 Hall            .772 Patterson   .698 Lopez       .779 Aviles       .755 ('11) Cameron  .729 ('10) .477 ('11) DMac       .766 ('10) .704 ('11) Sutton    .807 Jackson   .543   Not many diamonds in the rough, congrats to Sutton!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Where did I say ,"management is always right?"

It's just that people who post here seem to think they have the inside scoop on everything and that management is totally incompetent.

Playing armchair GM is easy when it's not your @ss on the hot seat.

I remember before Lackey threw his first pitch for the Red Sox, we had posters here saying the Red Sox had FIVE ACES on the staff. They had Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka , Lackey and Buchholz ticketed for the Hall of Fame as the greatest rotation ever. I'm thinking that Theo was hoping they would be much better than what they were, too.

Management may have not got what they expected, but it was not for lack of trying. But, when posters here build a team up to astronomical proportions the poster who was wrong doesn't have to answer the media.
    As I said before, when your @ss is not on the line, it's all just a bunch of hot air to say the GM is a baffoon and that you the armchair version , who has no scouting reports, no contact with players, agents and coaches, have all the answers. After the fact, it's easy to call out a guy for a bad move....but if it had paid off, he'd be a genius.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

OF isn't really the problem right now.  And if/when it does become one, we don't have an outfielder on the 25-man roster I trust less than Linares...