NOW is the time to strike for Bailey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

NOW is the time to strike for Bailey

Beane has now dealt Cahill AND Gonzalez, Bailey seemingly being the last piece he will likely move.

He's 27, isn't a free agent until 2015, has three seasons under his belt, all as the closer, and has poster 75 save sin those 3 years for a mediocre team. His WHIP over that span is 0.954 after posting a career worst of 1.10 last year. He is arbitration eligible for the first time after this coming season, and everyone knows the As don't pay. The numbers are all their, the age is right, the contract is good, I just don't know how much Beane is looking for. He could certainly hold back until the All Star break and see who NEEDS a closer, but I would make a strong push, right now, for a guy I believe to be among the elite closers in baseball. It's worth giving up something knowing they'll control him for at least 3 seasons, at which point he'll be the same age as Pap is now.

I wouldn't overpay in prospects, but I would crtainly be interested to find out what may get it done. If it's close to the deals teams have been getting for starters, however, count me out.

Also, maybe Beane's guard is a little down! He just got a good return for Gio, and already got a nice haul for Cahill, maybe he'll mess up! Hahaha, ok, maybe not, but I like Bailey. Simply as a player, I like him FAR better than anything on the market right now, and I'd rather have him than some of the guys already signed (Bell, Nathan).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey

Seems every time the sox get involved in a trade for prospects deal against other teams this year the other teams win.Our prospects just aren't as appealing as the nation thinks they are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Or, the Sox are less willing to offer the top prospects that would get the deal done.  If I read it correctly, the Nats traded four of their top ten prospects to get Gio.  Maybe the Sox did not want to trade Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Brentz and Ranaudo.  And I concur with that decision.  Gonzalez in Fenway is Dice-K redux, sometimes good, sometimes horrible, most times frustrating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

When was the last time Oakland traded a pitcher, and he got better after the trade?  If 25 saves a year or so is the best Bailey can manage, and with his injury history, I'd much rather the Sox use up all their money on Madson and figure out RF in the spring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think now is the time to deal with the Braves.  They have a surplus of young arms, and the Nationals, Marlins and Phillies have all improved.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

I agree Parhunter. If Beane was unreasonable let him try to fleece the Rangers or Rays. Sox then cough up $ for Madsen. If Boras gets stupid move on to K-Rod.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey:
    Seems every time the sox get involved in a trade for prospects deal against other teams this year the other teams win.Our prospects just aren't as appealing as the nation thinks they are.
    Posted by iamme17

Are you suggesting that Red Sox fans know less than the Sox Front Office?  Outrageous!  Internet chat line fans know FAR more about baseball than mere successful, professional baseball executives.

Until the Sox start trading the Lesters, Ellsburys and Pedroias and keeping the Murphys, Lowries and Stricklands I'm happy to trust their judgement over blustering web know-it-alls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I agree that I think the Sox just weren't willing to OVERpay when other teams were.

Pap had an "injury history" once upon a time too. In fact, most pitchers, starters or relievers, have some issue by their late 20s. If you fear that, may as well not field a pitching staff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The OP is hot-air and meaningless unless the DragonMan tells us which prospects should be traded.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The OP is hot-air and meaningless unless the DragonMan tells us which prospects should be traded.
    Posted by UticaClub

It doesn't matter which prospects I think should go.

1) I'm not as informed on the Sox prospects as many other people around here, much less ML talent evaluators.

2) I have no idea what kinds of prospects Beane would want. Best he can get? HAS to get a P or two? Prefer bats?

But, I'll still humor you, and based on my meager knowledge of the Sox prospects which includes reading around here, and occasional glances at nationally printed lists, I'd say:

Ranaudo/Iglesias/Reddick

I, personally, like Bogaerts as a prospect more than Iglesias, besides, don't Bogart my Bogaerts! I like Ranaudo, but he'd be the centerpiece of this package coming back. Reddick would offer a cheap, AAAA OF part for the As.

That package would include 2 widely accepted Top 5 prospects, and one much farthr down the list. Leaves the Sox with another SS prospect, and a handful of other promising pitchers (Doubront, Tazawa, Britton, Barnes, Pimentel) and keeps Middlebrooks, Kalish and Swihart, each of which I like. Again, based on my meager knowledge.

But there you go.

I thought it was ok to express my desire to trade for someone without needing an in depth knowledge of the Sox farm system.

Satisfied? Sheesh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

lets hope the sox can land bailey because he is the only good closer option left. for those of you who want ryan madson, do you realize he has been a closer for all of 1 season and is already in his 30's? Sox need to give up some prospects and get a deal done for bailey. he is by far out best option. he has been an allstar twice already and has been dominant. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

OK, now posters have some substance to respond to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

If Bailey can be had for a reasonable price (I believe he can given his injury history), then do it. The A's are a good match up on this trade largely because they'll be more likely to want A-AA prospects because they're not going to be competing until the stadium stuff is settled. They were already looking for the best deal possible on Gio Gonzalez, but I think they'll take 1-2 solid A-AA prospects of which the Sox have. I'd say Lars Anderson and a Pimentel (maybe better) gets the job done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Anderson and Pimentel - no problem - do it, but Oakland doesn't want them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey":
    Anderson and Pimentel - no problem - do it, but Oakland doesn't want them. Posted by UticaClub
    Anderson after '08 and Pimental after '09 maybe...now? No shot...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Reddick and Middlebrooks should get it done, I think that's what Oakland asked for at least.  I'd consider that especially since we have Xandier Bogaerts in the system.  

Then sign Cody Ross (2yr 7m) to replace Reddick in right, with Kailish as the backup.  Sign someone like Roy Oswalt or Joe Saunders (1yr 6m) as the 4th starter, and a few guys coming off injury (i.e. Webb) to Minor League deals to compete with Bard, Aceves, and the rest of the in-house options for the 5th Spot. Then just roll into Spring Training, we don't have the money to spend big, as we will already have to go to 180-185m to even field a complete team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

Posted by iamme17

Our prospects are decent enough but our management lead by BC sucks for sure. They can not do anything and some of on this forum seem to think thats the way to go. I hate to say that I am getting frustrated with BC each passing day but I will him a slack this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Anderson and Pimentel - no problem - do it, but Oakland doesn't want them.
    Posted by UticaClub

Of course we would and they wouldn't, you're dead right, it's absurd.  How about a package of Anderson, Pimental, Reddick and Kalish?  Nope, they'd laugh and hang up - they are all marginal prospects and not even young ones bar Pimentel, and he's the worst performing recently.  Even add Iglesias and I don't think the As would do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey : Our prospects are decent enough but our management lead by BC sucks for sure. They can not do anything and some of on this forum seem to think thats the way to go. I hate to say that I am getting frustrated with BC each passing day but I will him a slack this year.
    Posted by lhtak

Yes, you're right, I confess, I don't want the Sox to do anything and think that is the way to go.  Are you some sort of genetically engineered super genious?  You must be to have so accurately identified my hopes for the Sox.

BC's already had 2 months on the job - TWO MONTHS! - that's long enough, he's clearly not the right stuff.  Why don't you send your CV to Fenway?  The address is:  Boston Red Sox, c/o Danvers State Hospital, attn:  crisis management, Danvers, MA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

In Response to Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey : Yes, you're right, I confess, I don't want the Sox to do anything and think that is the way to go.  Are you some sort of genetically engineered super genious?  You must be to have so accurately identified my hopes for the Sox. BC's already had 2 months on the job - TWO MONTHS! - that's long enough, he's clearly not the right stuff.  Why don't you send your CV to Fenway?  The address is:  Boston Red Sox, c/o Danvers State Hospital, attn:  crisis management, Danvers, MA.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

Son, you dont need years to judge someone. You will understand that at some point of your life. That is my judgment so far on BC, I hope he proves me wrong. As far as applying for some kind of job, you are probably one of those bottom 50% that live on others and in need of a job, so good luck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

2 month assessment on This GM Itchak? Talk about just looking for a reason to complain. If he Made the trade you would second guess what he gave up. But you're so smart. Next is Jokes about job issues and other crap. What a joke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey : Yes, you're right, I confess, I don't want the Sox to do anything and think that is the way to go.  Are you some sort of genetically engineered super genious?  You must be to have so accurately identified my hopes for the Sox. BC's already had 2 months on the job - TWO MONTHS! - that's long enough, he's clearly not the right stuff.  Why don't you send your CV to Fenway?  The address is:  Boston Red Sox, c/o Danvers State Hospital, attn:  crisis management, Danvers, MA. Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars
    I think your nuts. The Sox need to either blow up this team or add 40 million in payroll. They only won 2 out of every 3 games for a 4 month period with limited production from 2 key players (Youk/Buch), worst year of careers from 2 other key players (Lackey/CC), and 2 players coming off significant injuries (Pedey/Agon). Oh, not to mention their two big free agent relief pitcher signings (Wheeler/Jencks) were complete busts...They arguably had 3 guys who overachieved (Scoot/Ells/Papi)...did most of the people on this board become a fan in '04?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to "Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey": I think your nuts. The Sox need to either blow up this team or add 40 million in payroll. They only won 2 out of every 3 games for a 4 month period with limited production from 2 key players (Youk/Buch), worst year of careers from 2 other key players (Lackey/CC), and 2 players coming off significant injuries (Pedey/Agon). Oh, not to mention their two big free agent relief pitcher signings (Wheeler/Jencks) were complete busts...They arguably had 3 guys who overachieved (Scoot/Ells/Papi)...did most of the people on this board become a fan in '04?
    Posted by jasko2248

What?  That does not make sense.  "only won 2 out of every 3 games for a 4 month period with limited production from 2 key players (Youk/Buch), worst year of careers from 2 other key players (Lackey/CC), and 2 players coming off significant injuries (Pedey/Agon)" - that is an OUTSTANDING performance, what more could you reasonably expect?

That is exactly - and obviously - why major changes (other than 4/5 starter and Paps' replacement) are not required.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I just think Ben C is doing the right thing.  How often you see a team that is willing to trade four top ten prospects just for a two to three years experience veteran?   Detriot traded away six prospects, but most of them were outside of top ten prospects for Cabrera/Willis.  Phillies didnt give up too much top ten prospects for Halladay.

I just think Beane is asking way too much. I do think that the Nats will regret it in later on iafter they will see at least two prospects become a star for Oakland A's!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: NOW is the time to strike for Bailey : What?  That does not make sense.  " only won 2 out of every 3 games for a 4 month period with limited production from 2 key players (Youk/Buch), worst year of careers from 2 other key players (Lackey/CC), and 2 players coming off significant injuries (Pedey/Agon) " - that is an OUTSTANDING performance, what more could you reasonably expect? That is exactly - and obviously - why major changes (other than 4/5 starter and Paps' replacement) are not required. Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars
    Sorry, I was being facetious...I like that they've added some "character" guys, replaced a great, but "spent" manager with a rejuvenated guy and didn't panic in a bad free agent class. Sign some relievers and fringe starters to low risk deals over the next month or so, maybe sign an Andruw Jones type and call it a winter.

Sections
Shortcuts