Now it's time to talk Theo compensation.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation.

In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation.:
    [QUOTE]Macphail is NOT the only precedent,    what about when Pinella made the move to TB,   The rays had to send then 28 y/o All star OF Randy Winn for compensation.   Agree with most,  we get compensation, but wont be anything of worth or certainly will not affect the 2012 team.  low level prospect at best, way low level.
    Posted by Medic87[/QUOTE]

Difference is one is a F.O executive and the other is a manager.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation.": [QUOTE]so field managers are worth more than General managers?   If you include Ozzie move to FLA for 2 top 5 prospects Pinella for ALL star Randy Winn Vs  Macphail for 5oth best prospect in Cubs org Theo for ? some low, low, level prospect at best. How is that apples and oranges and two totally different cases.  They are all people under contract with a certain organization and they want to leave for better or same position with another organization.  They all wanted out of their respective contracts and their employers agreed to let them out with certain provisions and compensation. Posted by Medic87[/QUOTE] Don't shoot the messenger, buddy. I don't work in the MLB Front Office. I'm just letting you know how the MLB Execs view it. By the way, Bud Selig wasn't happy with the Marlins for giving up what they did...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Also, technically Theo received a promotion, which entitles the Sox to nothing. They had a general agreement that there will be compensation, but obviously there were no parameters set as to what that compensation will be...I hope I'm wrong but a mid level prospect at best is coming our way...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Theo stated that the Commissioner's office will need to do the compensation based on historical precedent. It sounds logical to me. Some recent articles looking at precedent conclude that Boston will probably get an AA or A player, Do it Commissioner and get it over with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Theo stated that the Commissioner's office will need to do the compensation based on historical precedent. It sounds logical to me. Some recent articles looking at precedent conclude that Boston will probably get an AA or A player, Do it Commissioner and get it over with.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

I concur with LL. But I do think Selig will try and stay out of this as long as possible in hopes they will come to some kind of agreement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dicorpo. Show dicorpo's posts

Lackey for Soriano straight up - cut Papi, keep Lavarnway at DH and use the money to sign Oswalt. Done. Over. Pitchers and Catchers report

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey for Soriano straight up - cut Papi, keep Lavarnway at DH and use the money to sign Oswalt. Done. Over. Pitchers and Catchers report
    Posted by 3ecf25c19d7ea558287d9985eabca1f2[/QUOTE]

You cannot cut Papi - Sox have agreed to go to arbitration and Lavarnway is not going to put up Papi numbers.

And why would the Cubs trade one 15 million $ deal for another? At least Soriano will be on the field this year, unlike Lackey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : You cannot cut Papi - Sox have agreed to go to arbitration and Lavarnway is not going to put up Papi numbers. And why would the Cubs trade one 15 million $ deal for another? At least Soriano will be on the field this year, unlike Lackey.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

All arbitration contracts are one year, non-guaranteed.  This means you can cut him.  They won't but they could. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : Difference is one is a F.O executive and the other is a manager.

One was 18 years ago, the others were in the last decade. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : Actually, Selig had nothing to do with this dragging out.  The Red Sox should have insisted on the compensation talks being complete BEFORE they even let the Cubs talk to Theo.  Once Theo moved to Chicago, the chances of the Sox getting anything in return dropped to Nil.  The conudrum they find themselves in with the Cubs and Theo is entirely their own fault and of their own making. 
    Posted by lardin[/QUOTE]

I agree, he was under contract with the sox, we could have told Theo he was going to scrub toilets to fulfill his contractual obligations until his contract expired or until we got compensation for leaving.....that would have taken the Cubs 24 hours to seal the deal.....we are so stupid sometimes...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : I concur with LL. But I do think Selig will try and stay out of this as long as possible in hopes they will come to some kind of agreement.

The news that I read yesterday stated that both the Cubs and Red Sox have punted on this and put it entirely into Selig's hands.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : You cannot cut Papi - Sox have agreed to go to arbitration and Lavarnway is not going to put up Papi numbers. And why would the Cubs trade one 15 million $ deal for another? At least Soriano will be on the field this year, unlike Lackey.

Can the Sox simply walk away from the arbitration ruling enabling Papi to be a free agent?  Then go sign Vladdy and Oswalt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The compensation should be waived.... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : Can the Sox simply walk away from the arbitration ruling enabling Papi to be a free agent?  Then go sign Vladdy and Oswalt
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I didn't think so, but that question is left for someone smarter than I.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : All arbitration contracts are one year, non-guaranteed.  This means you can cut him.  They won't but they could. 
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

So if I am understanding you correctly, Papi can win and still get cut and would not be responsible for a penny? Wow - didn't know that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : So if I am understanding you correctly, Papi can win and still get cut and would not be responsible for a penny? Wow - didn't know that.

I wasnt trying to call you out and I dont think he can be cut either. Sox either accept or walk away.  I wish they would simply extend at a lesser rate like 3 yrs 14/m/12m/10m.  3yr is a team option.
    If he says no and he is awarded 16 I would walk.  I would go grab a Damon or Vladdy and sign Oswalt. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : So if I am understanding you correctly, Papi can win and still get cut and would not be responsible for a penny? Wow - didn't know that.

Just to be clear, he would be awarded an MLB non-guaranteed contract for the 2012 season.  If the Sox cut him FOR BASEBALL REASONS he would be owed 30 days severance pay at a minimum (it goes to 45 days within 15 days of the season starting).  If the Sox release him for non-baseball reasons, they would owe him the full amount.  Not agreeing with the arbiter is not considered a baseball reason and the Sox would face the full wrath of MLBPA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

papi will not and should not get cut, he is not that old and he is coming off a very good season....but 16 million??????? for a dh????????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Theo Epstein had some great moments as the Red Sox general manager, but in the end Epstein fell victim to the curse of the big budget.

The pitching staff probably cost the Red Sox a postseason berth and now the front office lacks the payroll flexibility or prospects to make significant* upgrades. Epstein should bear some responsibility for that.

I sometimes suspect Red Sox fans want compensation for the difficult situation left behind by Epstein. However, that debt should not fall on the shoulders of the Cubs.

the trades for Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey were brilliant but offset by the departure of Jonathan Papelbon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : I wasnt trying to call you out and I dont think he can be cut either. Sox either accept or walk away.  I wish they would simply extend at a lesser rate like 3 yrs 14/m/12m/10m.  3yr is a team option. If he says no and he is awarded 16 I would walk.  I would go grab a Damon or Vladdy and sign Oswalt. 
    Posted by shuperman

Never thought you were.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Now it's time to talk Theo compensation. : Just to be clear, he would be awarded an MLB non-guaranteed contract for the 2012 season.  If the Sox cut him FOR BASEBALL REASONS he would be owed 30 days severance pay at a minimum (it goes to 45 days within 15 days of the season starting).  If the Sox release him for non-baseball reasons, they would owe him the full amount.  Not agreeing with the arbiter is not considered a baseball reason and the Sox would face the full wrath of MLBPA.
    Posted by JB-3

Thanks JB - learned something new.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just to be clear, he would be awarded an MLB non-guaranteed contract for the 2012 season.  If the Sox cut him FOR BASEBALL REASONS he would be owed 30 days severance pay at a minimum (it goes to 45 days within 15 days of the season starting).  If the Sox release him for non-baseball reasons, they would owe him the full amount.  Not agreeing with the arbiter is not considered a baseball reason and the Sox would face the full wrath of MLBPA.

"Baseball reasons" is not a clearly defined term, unless somewhere in the fine print, it elaborates.

Wouldn't a "baseball reason" be we can spend the money better elsewhere and get more players for $16M than Papi is worth?

Assuming you are right, couldn't a great ST by Lava and a slow ST by Papi give the Sox an excuse to cut Papi for "roster flexibility reasons"?

What a mess this all would be, if we ended up cutting the biggest Sox champion hitting hero of all time!

I still say, we should offer him a second year club option to lessen the tax limit hit. Even if it is $12.65M for 2012 and a club option $12M for 2013 with a club buyout of $1.5M. That gives Papi $14.15M for 2012 after we let him walk next year, and we only have a tax limit cost of about $7M each for 2012 and 2013.