Now that Paps is gone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Now that Paps is gone

1. Do they Bring back Papi?  It was far-fetched to think they would bring back both, but with that 50 million saved is there now money for David?  I say yes.  Then move on from Beltran and find a less expensive RH bat for the OF.

2.  Who is the closer?  Madson would seem to be available.  He is younger and likely less expensive than Bell.  Perhaps they target "set up" types and move Bard to closer.  If Papelbon is worth 12 than Madson is about 10, maybe they bring him in for 3/30ish.  Bell's age scares me on anything longer than 3 years but he will cost Papelbon money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Now that Paps is gone

Excellent...next is Papi

then Tek
    Wake
    Drew is history

trade Youk and Josh

and start the season with hungrier, younger players with our star studs of Ells, Pedey, Lester, Bard, and Agon to anchor the team....i Like this Ben C already!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Let papi and tek go next.  I could go either way with wake.  Target SP hard now.  I like buerle, madsen, and beltran(or ross).  Then a trade for a second SP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone:
    [QUOTE]Let papi and tek go next.  I could go either way with wake.  Target SP hard now.  I like buerle, madsen, and beltran(or ross).  Then a trade for a second SP.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

I agree that pitching depth is and has been the top priority.  With Paps gone, they need another 8th or 9th inning arm.  A lot depends on what they intend to do Aceves. 

Buehlre is certainly worth a look.  He will be 33 when next year begins and has logged a lot of innings for a decade now but if the contract is right, he could be a great guy, LH, to solidfy the rotation next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't think they should drop free agent money on Madsen.  Bard is just as good and has proven he can pitch in Boston.  Bell?  OK, but I would rather those funds be used on a starter(s) and/or set-up guy (cheaper) and/or right fielder and/or the 2013 bumper crop.  Lets see what D. Bard can do.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joshm5691. Show joshm5691's posts

maybe they can take a flyer on Matt Young? He is the only one worse at holding runners on than Pap......Pap could atleast throw to 1b.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent...next is Papi then Tek Wake Drew is history trade Youk and Josh and start the season with hungrier, younger players with our star studs of Ells, Pedey, Lester, Bard, and Agon to anchor the team....i Like this Ben C already!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Beckett is a better pitcher then Lester and the the best Pitcher on the team, but hey lets trade him for a bag of balls... Dont ever apply to be a GM

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think they should drop free agent money on Madsen.  Bard is just as good and has proven he can pitch in Boston.  Bell?  OK, but I would rather those funds be used on a starter(s) and/or set-up guy (cheaper) and/or right fielder and/or the 2013 bumper crop.  Lets see what D. Bard can do.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree that the closers on the market are not particularly attractive and I agree that Bard can likely handle 9th inning duties BUT they still need someone for the 8th.  I'm a firm believer that in current ML baseball where a starter is lucky to pitch into the 7th, you need at minimum 2 "closer" types for the 8th and 9th.  So if Bard is moved to closer, who is the 2012 version of the 2010-2011 Bard?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : I agree that the closers on the market are not particularly attractive and I agree that Bard can likely handle 9th inning duties BUT they still need someone for the 8th.  I'm a firm believer that in current ML baseball where a starter is lucky to pitch into the 7th, you need at minimum 2 "closer" types for the 8th and 9th.  So if Bard is moved to closer, who is the 2012 version of the 2010-2011 Bard?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is indeed the rub.  Who is the 2010-2011 D. Bard if D. Bard is the new papelbon?  Jenks?  hahaha.  HAHAHAHA.  oyyyy.  meh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Papi was a good DH last year - he had an excellent year.  I'd like to see him back.

Who is going to be a more productive DH?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Yes, this is indeed the rub.  Who is the 2010-2011 D. Bard if D. Bard is the new papelbon?  Jenks?  hahaha.  HAHAHAHA.  oyyyy.  meh.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Aceves?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Relief pitchers are typically terrible investments, that's why you need to develop them from within.  I wouldn't suggest giving big money to any of the other potential closers out there.  I'd be especially scared of Bell.  He's a fly ball pitcher in a weak division with 1/2 of his games at the cavernous PetCo Park

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Relief pitchers are typically terrible investments, that's why you need to develop them from within.  I wouldn't suggest giving big money to any of the other potential closers out there.  I'd be especially scared of Bell.  He's a fly ball pitcher in a weak division with 1/2 of his games at the cavernous PetCo Park
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

All good points. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Beckett is a better pitcher then Lester and the the best Pitcher on the team, but hey lets trade him for a bag of balls... Dont ever apply to be a GM
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

if you think Lardazz Josh is better than Lester the last three years then you need meds...'nuff said....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Papi was a good DH last year - he had an excellent year.  I'd like to see him back. Who is going to be a more productive DH?
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Good question..I think the correct answer is the guy who replaces him and can actually play the field and leg out all hits...(and not harass the manager over rbis)

Buh-Bye Papi....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Good question..I think the correct answer is the guy who replaces him and can actually play the field and leg out all hits...(and not harass the manager over rbis) Buh-Bye Papi....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

This is an over-simplification.  You can dislike Papi all you want and make sound arguments as to why he should not be brought back (age, $$, etc...) but 30 HR and .400 OBP guys are rare.  So it is a valid question to ask who will begin to replace that level of production. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Aceves?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Perhaps.  But, if he is not going to the rotation (a move i have been a vocal proponent of, but now reconsider as Pap's departure does thin out an already thin pen), I would really like to keep Aceves in his current invaluable role as Funk Master Flex able to get one or two key outs or go 4-5 innings if necessary.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Heres a thought.  Aceves deserves a bigger role with this team.  He has shown the durability to pitch day in and day out.  Does anyone else see him possibly taken on a set-up man role behind Bard?

Could be just as effective as bard/paps at a fraction of the cost and we would save the draft pick of signing a big name reliever.

Not that I'm against going after a Bell type closer, just saying....thats all. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3run_bomb. Show 3run_bomb's posts

sign uehara and cordero, bring back wheeler. bard as closer.
    good job, paps, good luck in philly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Papelbon was making  12 Million a year and signs  for  4 years/50 million and a 5th year that will vest and take it to 60 million..

at 4 and 50 that 12.500.000.  He wasn't worth a 500K  raise to the Sox ??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]sign uehara and cordero, bring back wheeler. bard as closer. good job, paps, good luck in philly.
    Posted by 3run_bomb[/QUOTE]

Amen to that 3-bomb.  Amidst all the good move/bad move debate, great to just recognize a Sox legend and wish him well.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

thats ok, the RS can finish in 3rd place without him, now lets get rid of ortiz, tec, wakefield,  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bard had a 1.44 ERA with Varitek last year and a 4.54 ERA with Salty, so if we get rid of Varitek things will be even more exciting for Bard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Bard not a closer. Get Bell or Valverde.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Cordero is on the market who has been extremely underrated his entire career. Why don't we go for him? Try to get 2 years 16-20mil