Now that Paps is gone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Now that Paps is gone

In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone:
    [QUOTE]Bard not a closer. Get Bell or whatshisname from Det.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

My take is that we can't make that definitive statement until he gets a chance to close.  He is still on the up curve of his development and has improved every season thus far.  He was a work horse and dominant (until his few horrible Sept. outings, most likely due to over-work) as a set-up guy.  At this juncture of their respective careers, he has arguable a better fastball than Papelbon, and actually has effective secondary pitches, unlike papelbon.  So, why are we so sure he is not a closer?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Cordero is on the market who has been extremely underrated his entire career. Why don't we go for him? Try to get 2 years 16-20mil
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

I hope you're not talking about Cordero from Cincy. I follow the Reds also. No way you want him closing here. He will drive you nuts. What he could be useful as is a seventh inning guy. If you get him, get him for that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent...next is Papi then Tek Wake Drew is history trade Youk and Josh and start the season with hungrier, younger players with our star studs of Ells, Pedey, Lester, Bard, and Agon to anchor the team....i Like this Ben C already!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Thank God your not the GM. Is there anybody on the team you like ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : My take is that we can't make that definitive statement until he gets a chance to close.  He is still on the up curve of his development and has improved every season thus far.  He was a work horse and dominant (until his few horrible Sept. outings, most likely due to over-work) as a set-up guy.  At this juncture of their respective careers, he has arguable a better fastball than Papelbon, and actually has effective secondary pitches, unlike papelbon.  So, why are we so sure he is not a closer?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well, you're right in that the only way to see for sure is to try him. He may be better with all the pressure on ,or not, we don't know. It's not his stuff that's the trouble, it's his mental makeup. He's shown himself to be erratic at times, and I'm not convinced he has the mindset of a closer--hard as that may be to quantify. He sometimes seems to completely lose focus and totally fall apart. Cordero does the same thing sometimes, which is why I don't want him closing here either. Bell or Valverde, among others that are available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Bard had a 1.44 ERA with Varitek last year and a 4.54 ERA with Salty, so if we get rid of Varitek things will be even more exciting for Bard.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

So do the Sox have to retain Tek until Bard retires?  These are professionals, i'd like to think they can adapt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : So do the Sox have to retain Tek until Bard retires?  These are professionals, i'd like to think they can adapt.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right.  It's just one of the reasons I have my doubts about Bard being our future closer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Red Sox will be in on both Madson and Heath Bell, source says. Not committed to Daniel Bard as closer yet.

https://twitter.com/#!/DKnobler/status/135093770688532480

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Now that Paps is gone:
    [QUOTE]1. Do they Bring back Papi?  It was far-fetched to think they would bring back both, but with that 50 million saved is there now money for David?  I say yes.  Then move on from Beltran and find a less expensive RH bat for the OF. 2.  Who is the closer?  Madson would seem to be available.  He is younger and likely less expensive than Bell.  Perhaps they target "set up" types and move Bard to closer.  If Papelbon is worth 12 than Madson is about 10, maybe they bring him in for 3/30ish.  Bell's age scares me on anything longer than 3 years but he will cost Papelbon money.

Do they bring David Ortiz back? No.

Who closes? Daniel Bard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : I hope you're not talking about Cordero from Cincy. I follow the Reds also. No way you want him closing here. He will drive you nuts. What he could be useful as is a seventh inning guy. If you get him, get him for that.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    I can't agree with you more. I follow cincy too and every time hes on the mound its a heart atytack waiting to happen; he lets ways too many runners on base. And think of how thats gonna work in Boston with all that pressure and a short porch over in left. He would do very poorly in Boston!!!

And my opinion is to move Bard to closer and pick up a couple of solid B-ranked relievers to give the bullpen a quality depth. Then we get those draft picks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Now that Paps is gone : Do they bring David Ortiz back? No. Who closes? Daniel Bard.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Points for the ABC's of good writing.  Accuracy, Brevity, Clarity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]Let papi and tek go next.  I could go either way with wake.  Target SP hard now.  I like buerle, madsen, and beltran(or ross).  Then a trade for a second SP.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

Not the way to go.   The Sox just got 2 draft picks from Philly and they need to re-stock the farm system.     Buehrle, Madson, and Beltran will cost draft picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Papelbon was making  12 Million a year and signs  for  4 years/50 million and a 5th year that will vest and take it to 60 million.."

"at 4 and 50 that 12.500.000.  He wasn't worth a 500K  raise to the Sox ??"

Wow, what a flawed argument!  There's a huge difference between guaranteeing a contract for 1 yr vs 4 or 5 yrs.  The Sox would have happily re-signed him if he took 1 yr at $12.5 mil.  The big question now is, what do you get in yrs 3 & 4 for that $25 mil??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Paps always like Philly cheese steaks better than fried chicken anyway...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Paps was ready to move on so good luck to him. Time for Bard to get his shot and I am excited for that. He will be every bit as good as Paps for a fraction of the cost. Good move Ben. Spend the money on a starter that can pitch 200 innings and relief depth that is worth a damn.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teach7719. Show Teach7719's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Not the way to go.   The Sox just got 2 draft picks from Philly and they need to re-stock the farm system.     Buehrle, Madson, and Beltran will cost draft picks.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teach7719. Show Teach7719's posts

Buehrle is a type B free agent and does not cost the signing team anything. His former team gets an awarded pick and not at a cost to the signing team. Beltran also has no picks attached due to his trade agreement this summer. Madson would have picks attached but his arbitration cost would be very high to Philly. Cherington said tonite that Aceves would be a starter this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

How about Joe Nathan?  Coming off TJ surgery, he struggled early, but his numbers were very good the second half of the year.

Otherwise, we have to be looking at a trade - no sense bothering with Cordero, Madson or Bell.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

He wasn't worth anything to the Sox if he didn't want to be here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : This is an over-simplification.  You can dislike Papi all you want and make sound arguments as to why he should not be brought back (age, $$, etc...) but 30 HR and .400 OBP guys are rare.  So it is a valid question to ask who will begin to replace that level of production. 

Ortiz has hit 30+ (32) homers only once in the last four seasons. He has not had a .400 obp in five seasons. 

2011 was a very good year for the declining DH, and it will only go down from here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNation4Ever. Show RedSoxNation4Ever's posts

forget paps, lets talk about something important like John Henry's Soccer Team, and the Net balance of the Red SOx

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Points for the ABC's of good writing.  Accuracy, Brevity, Clarity.

Too many people use too many words to say what is easily stated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonbrawlingbear. Show Bostonbrawlingbear's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now that Paps is gone : Not the way to go.   The Sox just got 2 draft picks from Philly and they need to re-stock the farm system.     Buehrle, Madson, and Beltran will cost draft picks.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Belttran will not cost any picks he is not a type A free agent after being traded to the Giants

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX2006WSC. Show BOSOX2006WSC's posts

hahhahhahahahaahaha....I'm a long time Sox fan from Jersey and went to school 20 mins outside the horrible city of Philly in their hayday & this city SUCKS because of their turn-coat fans. They will luv him today and once Paps goes into his 9th inning blow ups...he's going to wish he NEVER went there. I hope the money was worth it....LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX2006WSC. Show BOSOX2006WSC's posts

hahahahaha.....what a fool....I'm a long time fan from Jersey who went to school 20 mins outside the horrible city of Philly and Paps has NO idea what he just signed up for. The fans are the worst turn-coats in all of sports never mine baseball...they'll make Boston feel like summer camp. Wait until they see those patent Pap 9th inning blow ups when he can't find the strike zone and those flat fastballs are getting lit up like the 4th of July...he's going to wish he wasn't just in for the $$$$.

GOOD RIDDANCE !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Isn't Weiland a closer?