Now that the B's season is over,can the good people here tell me how the Red Sox are in first place

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Now that the B's season is over,can the good people here tell me how the Red Sox are in first place

since the Bruins need my full undivided attention during the playoffs,i try to avoid watching or following baseball as much as possible. so now that the B's season has come to a crashing end,it's back to baseball . so please, i need some analysis of the Red Sox season so far. from what i can tell,not bad for a team expected to go nowhere.

thank you

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Now that the B's season is over,can the good people here tell me how the Red Sox are in first place

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

since the Bruins need my full undivided attention during the playoffs,i try to avoid watching or following baseball as much as possible. so now that the B's season has come to a crashing end,it's back to baseball . so please, i need some analysis of the Red Sox season so far. from what i can tell,not bad for a team expected to go nowhere.

thank you

Well, now that you've cursed the Bruins by giving them your full undivided attention, please don't do us any favors by meddling in the Red Sox.  They've been doing well without your help, thank you.  Maybe that's the reason.  Please stay away.  I suggest spending the summer doing other recreational activities.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Now that the B's season is over,can the good people here tell me how the Red Sox are in first place

thank you

Now I'll try a baseball explanation for what it's worth, Jerry(imagine me saying this like Uncle Leo).  Here are some of the main reasons:

- Buchholz was pitching like a Cy Young Award candidate before his mysterious injury.  Hopefully, he'll be back.

- Lackey is pitching like the player they thought they had acquired in 2011.

- Dempster is not a dumpster.

- Doubront is more than satisfactory for the back end of the rotation.

- Bullpen is a bit shaky, especially at closer, but Uehara is terrific.  Others like Tazawa, Breslow, and Andrew Miller have done a decent job.

- Big Papi has become Big Papi circa 2004.  He may not have quite as much pop, but he has become a smarter hitter that sprays the ball to all fields.  I hope it's not due to a miricle elixir.

- Pedroia has been Pedey near his best and has managed to stay on the field.  As expected, his defense is stellar.  The lazer show has dimmed a little, but like Papi, he's spraying the ball around more.

- After a slow start, Ellsbury looks like he's returned to his 2009 form.  It's not 2011, but I'll take it. 

- Victorino, although plagued with nagging injuries, has been a nice addition.  The guy has great refined baseball skills and is a pleasure to watch.  I love his aggressiveness.

- Napoli has managed to stay in the lineup for the most part and is a RBI machine.

- Salty has improved his defense and has become one of the better hitting catchers in the game, especially from the left side.

- Mike Carp has been another great surprise.  Check out his numbers so far.

- Daniel Nava.  F-in Daniel Nava has performed almost at all-star level.  I still have a hard time believing it and I hope his chariot doesn't turn into a pumpkin.

- Now, the best story of year for last (even better than Nava) - Jose Iglesias.  At best, we figured we might be getting a budding Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, or Mark Belanger, whom many, including myself, were skeptical could reach the Mendoza line.  Well, guess what?  He's not even a full-time shortshop and he's hitting better than Ted Freakin' Williams, sans the slugging, of course.  Sabrematricians around the globe are studying this phenenenom and stratching their heads as if it were a coin that keeps getting flipped and coming up heads almost every time.  There's a crowd looking up in the sky saying, "It's a bird.  It's a plane.  No, it's Iggy and he just got another base hit!"

Andrew Bailey, Joel Hanrahan, and Will Middlebrooks are reasons they are not leading by more.  Drew has been rather pedrestrian, although he does have his moments and plays a satisfactory shortstop, and Lester, after a great start, has been looking rather wobbly of late.

I hope I've answered your question, Geraldo de Nueva York.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

thank you

Now I'll try a baseball explanation for what it's worth, Jerry(imagine me saying this like Uncle Leo).  Here are some of the main reasons:

- Buchholz was pitching like a Cy Young Award candidate before his mysterious injury.  Hopefully, he'll be back.

- Bullpen is a bit shaky, especially at closer, but Uehara is terrific.  Others like Tazawa, Breslow, and Andrew Miller have done a decent job.

- Big Papi has become Big Papi circa 2004.  He may not have quite as much pop, but he has become a smarter hitter that sprays the ball to all fields.  I hope it's not due to a miricle elixir.

- Pedroia has been Pedey near his best and has managed to stay on the field.  As expected, his defense is stellar.  The lazer show has dimmed a little, but like Papi, he's spraying the ball around more.

- After a slow start, Ellsbury looks like he's returned to his 2009 form.  It's not 2011, but I'll take it. 

- Victorino, although plagued with nagging injuries, has been a nice addition.  The guy has great refined baseball skills and is a pleasure to watch.  I love his aggressiveness.

- Napoli has managed to stay in the lineup for the most part and is a RBI machine.

- Salty has improved his defense and has become one of the better hitting catchers in the game, especially from the left side.

- Daniel Nava.  F-in Daniel Nava has performed almost at all-star level.  I still have a hard time believing it and I hope his chariot doesn't turn into a pumpkin.

- Now, the best story of year for last (even better than Nava) - Jose Iglesias.  At best, we figured we might be getting a budding Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, or Mark Belanger, whom many, including myself, were skeptical could reach the Mendoza line.  Well, guess what?  He's not even a full-time shortshop and he's hitting better than Ted Freakin' Williams, sans the slugging, of course.  Sabrematricians around the globe are studying this phenenenom and stratching their heads as if it were a coin that keeps getting flipped and coming up heads almost every time.  There's a crowd looking up in the sky saying, "It's a bird.  It's a plane.  No, it's Iggy and he just got another base hit!"

Andrew Bailey, Joel Hanrahan, and Will Middlebrooks are reasons they are not leading by more.  Drew has been rather pedrestrian, although he does have his moments and plays a satisfactory shortstop, and Lester, after a great start, has been looking rather wobbly of late.

Rojas,

that's exactly what i was looking for and i really do appreciate the time and effort .

well done and goodnight !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

thank you

Rojas,

that's exactly what i was looking for and i really do appreciate the time and effort .

well done and goodnight !

[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, Jerry.  And welcome back to Red Sox Nation.  I hope the second half of the show will be as entertaining as the first.  As the ol' Channel 38 Intro used to go:

Take your shoes off

Put your feet up

It's time to meet up with the Boston Red Sox

Boston born and Boston bred sox

Relax, relax

And be a Sooooooox Watcher!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

thank you

A+ answer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A simpler answer to the OP--

Hitting has been way better than anyone expected and is in fact the best in MLB.  Ortiz the star, but a lot of contributors.

Pitching only average or a little better, but that too is way better than anyone expected, especially given the many trips (Lackey, Buchholz, Hanrahan, Bailey, etc) trips to the DL.  Closer could have been a big problem, but the Sox are tied for dead last in save opportunities in AL.

Defense pretty good despite errors.  Ells and Vic cover a lot of ground in CF and RF.  Starting infield of Iglesias, Drew, Pedroia, and Napoli have committed a total of 9 errors, and Iglesias and Pedroia have pretty good range. 

Chemistry is the best since 2004.  One example was Bailey giving up 2 tying runs in the bottom of the 10th at Tampa, but the team was ecstatic when they went to the dugout because they avoided a loss with a nifty double play--with the bases loaded and nobody out--followed by Pedroia throwing out a drag bunter.   Sox later won in 14.  These guys compete. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You really can't be much of a baseball fan if you totally ignore your team until the season is almost half over. I can sympathize with you if hockey was played every day, like baseball. But there have been plenty of off nights for the B's since MLB started it's complete season ( as opposed to the half season shortened by bickering over money in the NHL). That you pledged undying support to a league that was ready to ignore you out of greed and you just totally couldn't find 5 minutes a day to check for updates on the web, or God forbid in these days of internet that you might actually pick up a newspaper and read about your Red Sox who are turning heads and opening eyes with outstanding play ( too bad you missed it!).

I guess this says alot about todays sports fan, they need to get info from a discussion forum , instead of actually watching the games. Perhaps I can offer this explanation: The Red Sox have pitched, hit, fielded and run the bases as good as or better than their rivals in Tampa Bay, NY, Baltimore and Toronto. They seem to have a much better attitude about team play and hustle under Farrell, instead of the circus atmosphere that prevailed with lead clown Bobby Valentine.

I suggest you tune into the games and enjoy this team while it is currently on an upswing. As we all know balloons can burst in Boston faster than a lineman can blow the whistle for a too many men on the ice penalty, faster than a Mookie Wilson grounder down the 1st base line, faster than a Bucky Dent homerun.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

thank you

look at you...you're an Adonis! Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

You really can't be much of a baseball fan if you totally ignore your team until the season is almost half over. I can sympathize with you if hockey was played every day, like baseball. But there have been plenty of off nights for the B's since MLB started it's complete season ( as opposed to the half season shortened by bickering over money in the NHL). That you pledged undying support to a league that was ready to ignore you out of greed and you just totally couldn't find 5 minutes a day to check for updates on the web, or God forbid in these days of internet that you might actually pick up a newspaper and read about your Red Sox who are turning heads and opening eyes with outstanding play ( too bad you missed it!).

I guess this says alot about todays sports fan, they need to get info from a discussion forum , instead of actually watching the games. Perhaps I can offer this explanation: The Red Sox have pitched, hit, fielded and run the bases as good as or better than their rivals in Tampa Bay, NY, Baltimore and Toronto. They seem to have a much better attitude about team play and hustle under Farrell, instead of the circus atmosphere that prevailed with lead clown Bobby Valentine.

I suggest you tune into the games and enjoy this team while it is currently on an upswing. As we all know balloons can burst in Boston faster than a lineman can blow the whistle for a too many men on the ice penalty, faster than a Mookie Wilson grounder down the 1st base line, faster than a Bucky Dent homerun.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

well i didn't completely ignore baseball but please don't tell that to the hockey gods ,otherwise the Bruins will never win another Stanley Cup !

as for the NHL and their greed,i did not buy the Center Ice package and did not go to any regular season games. the 2 playoff games i went to in NYC i bought off a scalper at $100 off the actual ticket price. for SCF game 4 in Boston,i tried as hard as i could to buy a ticket anywhere but at the box office but ultimately i had to break down and buy at box office.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

A simpler answer to the OP--

Hitting has been way better than anyone expected and is in fact the best in MLB.  Ortiz the star, but a lot of contributors.

Pitching only average or a little better, but that too is way better than anyone expected, especially given the many trips (Lackey, Buchholz, Hanrahan, Bailey, etc) trips to the DL.  Closer could have been a big problem, but the Sox are tied for dead last in save opportunities in AL.

Defense pretty good despite errors.  Ells and Vic cover a lot of ground in CF and RF.  Starting infield of Iglesias, Drew, Pedroia, and Napoli have committed a total of 9 errors, and Iglesias and Pedroia have pretty good range. 

Chemistry is the best since 2004.  One example was Bailey giving up 2 tying runs in the bottom of the 10th at Tampa, but the team was ecstatic when they went to the dugout because they avoided a loss with a nifty double play--with the bases loaded and nobody out--followed by Pedroia throwing out a drag bunter.   Sox later won in 14.  These guys compete. 

thank you for the informative post !

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to crimsonandclover's comment:

At the halfway point of the longest season, not a single team has done anything to indicate a first place finish at the end. The injury issues for the old and lightweigts are now beginning to set like the sun. At one time, the AL East was the class of the AL. That's no longer the case. The Tigers are the only team that looks built to finish strong.

and thank you too Tommy James/Joan Jett !

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Sure, glad to help. 

The Sox are in first place because they got excellent starting pitching out of the gate from Lester and Buch and surprsingly decent pitching from Lackey and others in stretches. Their bullpen was good for a while and their run support, always better than folks think, was pretty good, reinforced not by superstars but by a number of consistent role players who filled any gaps of disappointing performances (and emergence of Iggy, surprise of Nava, etc). 

Unfortunately while the run support remains good the bullpen is now struggling and more concerning Lester has lost his way and Buch can't get back on the field. So that creates a problem. 

Bruins had a great run, welcome back to the Sox. :) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

BTS,

thank you for the insight . Lackey is a pleasant surprise and his ERA is now at 2.99.

i know he  lost some weight and his healthy,so good for him and the team.

"the world is full of crashing bores"-Morrissey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crimsonandclover's comment:

At the halfway point of the longest season, not a single team has done anything to indicate a first place finish at the end. The injury issues for the old and lightweigts are now beginning to set like the sun. At one time, the AL East was the class of the AL. That's no longer the case. The Tigers are the only team that looks built to finish strong.

Verlander hasnt looked like an ace this year, Sanchez is on the DL with shoulder issues, they have no closer and are only 2.5 games ahead of the Indiands and 5.5 games ahead of the Royals. They have issues.

While the ALE is separated by a total of 6.5 games and every team winning at 500 or better. The only division in MLB to do so. Yes, Id say the ALE is still the toughest division in baseball.

19. This post has been removed.