Now this is a trade,The Padres and Reds!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Now this is a trade,The Padres and Reds!

The San Diego Padres have just traded Mat Latos to Cincinnatti for Volquez,Alonzo,Boxberger and Grandal you want to talk about having to empty the farm!!! All I can say is Josh Byrnes just swiped the best players in the Cincy system...Also J.Rollins resigned with Philly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Now this is a trade,The Padres and Reds!

And Cincy just got a very good #2 starter for their rotation.  Be interesting to see how this looks in 3 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I like the Reds, but I think they may have given up too much. Alonso is a good bat. We will see how it goes. Trading Hamilton to get Volquez was not a great move to begin with, maybe this will mollify that, or maybe it will make it worse. I'm just not sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

With the Padres' addition of firstbaseman Yonder Alonso, it should be interesting to see what happens for former Red Sox prospect Anthony Rizzo, the firstbaseman who went to San Diego in the Adrian Gonzalez trade.

San Diego GM Josh Byrnes admits the trade could be a "tough pill" for Anthony Rizzo:

http://twitter.com/#!/ScottMCBSSports/status/148151172782489600

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

That shows what it costs in talent to get a solid young (cheap) pitcher.  People here are always posting ridiculous trades where the Sox should get guys like Matos for pieces like Reddick and Anderson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Another thing about that trade is that there were rumors that the Reds were talking to TB about Shields for a similar package.  Shields is tough but that would have landed the Rays a couple of good young position players at spots of need, C and 1B. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Now this is a trade,The Padres and Reds!:
    The San Diego Padres have just traded Mat Latos to Cincinnatti for Volquez,Alonzo,Boxberger and Grandal you want to talk about having to empty the farm!!! All I can say is Josh Byrnes just swiped the best players in the Cincy system...Also J.Rollins resigned with Philly.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

This is one of those trades that could appear one sided but actually work for Cincy in the long run.  I have always been a Rollins fan but Philly was probably the only team who would have taken a chance and paid the money for him at this point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Could the Red Sox have matched Cincinnati's offer for Mat Latos?

Here are two FanGraphs analyses of Saturday's trade:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/reds-finally-get-their-ace-in-mat-latos/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/padres-get-short-and-long-term-help-for-latos/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Now this is a trade,The Padres and Reds!:
    I like the Reds, but I think they may have given up too much. Alonso is a good bat. We will see how it goes. Trading Hamilton to get Volquez was not a great move to begin with, maybe this will mollify that, or maybe it will make it worse. I'm just not sure.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Looks like an awful lot to have given up.  Latos is really good, but not great, and those are three really good prospects plus Volquez.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Latos looks like the real deal, but pitchers from SD have fooled many a GM in the past.

Home: 3.11  1.155
    Away: 3.57  1.154

Remember, the parks Latos pitches in away are lead in IP by
    SF: 1.85  0.853 (poor hitting team as well)
    LA: 3.95  1.354 (below avg hitting team)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In Response to Re: Now this is a trade,The Padres and Reds!:
    With the Padres' addition of firstbaseman Yonder Alonso, it should be interesting to see what happens for former Red Sox prospect Anthony Rizzo, the firstbaseman who went to San Diego in the Adrian Gonzalez trade. San Diego GM Josh Byrnes admits the trade could be a "tough pill" for Anthony Rizzo: http://twitter.com/#!/ScottMCBSSports/status/148151172782489600
    Posted by hill55

According to reports, the Padres are working on a trade to send him to the Cubs for Garza.

Sections
Shortcuts