Now we know

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Now we know

Last year, Ben was given a pass on his acquisitions because he was "hamstrung" by the budget. This year, with no budget contraints that we know of, he continues to acquire average ballplayers at best, without addressing the number one issue going into the off-season, The SP. Sure he acquired Dempster, a number 5 starter, when we really needed a 1 or 2 guy (preferably both). The over-the-hill gang he's assembled could have a chance, if he had improved the pitching staff, but he did not. And if anyone thinks he did by getting Dempster, you are sadly mistaken.

The Sox need to average 14 to 15 wins amongst the starters to contend. Does anyone really think that will happen? The team was 27th in ERA, and we added Dempster. Lackey hasn't pitched for over a year. Any 20 game winners in our starting 5? I think not, but that is what it is going to take.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Now we know

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year, Ben was given a pass on his acquisitions because he was "hamstrung" by the budget. This year, with no budget contraints that we know of, he continues to acquire average ballplayers at best, without addressing the number one issue going into the off-season, The SP. Sure he acquired Dempster, a number 5 starter, when we really needed a 1 or 2 guy (preferably both). The over-the-hill gang he's assembled could have a chance, if he had improved the pitching staff, but he did not. And if anyone thinks he did by getting Dempster, you are sadly mistaken.

The Sox need to average 14 to 15 wins amongst the starters to contend. Does anyone really think that will happen? The team was 27th in ERA, and we added Dempster. Lackey hasn't pitched for over a year. Any 20 game winners in our starting 5? I think not, but that is what it is going to take.

[/QUOTE]

And your plan to get this great rotation would be?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too late now but as I said before, I would have picked off the two best SPs on the FA list after Greinke. McCarthy and Sanchez would have done nicely. Villanueva is another I like. We are stuck with Lacky for at least another year and I would keep Lester but traded Buchholz for a decent OFer. Doubront would be the 5th starter with Morales the long guy and 6th or spot starter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too late now but as I said before, I would have picked off the two best SPs on the FA list after Greinke. McCarthy and Sanchez would have done nicely. Villanueva is another I like. We are stuck with Lacky for at least another year and I would keep Lester but traded Buchholz for a decent OFer. Doubront would be the 5th starter with Morales the long guy and 6th or spot starter

[/QUOTE]

So you would have traded our best SP and replaced him with a massively overpaid Sanchez for 6 years, and another guy who's never pitched more than 120 innings? I am humbled by your genius.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you would have traded our best SP and replaced him with a massively overpaid Sanchez for 6 years, and another guy who's never pitched more than 120 innings? I am humbled by your genius.

[/QUOTE]

Our best SP? Hardly. Doubront had a better year which isn't saying a whole lot for our SP.
    Buchholz still might be of some value in a trade and he will never have another year like he did in 2010. Walks are down but hits are up including HRs. K's/9 are down as well. And who knows when the back problem will return, and it will.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Our best SP? Hardly. Doubront had a better year which isn't saying a whole lot for our SP.
    Buchholz still might be of some value in a trade and he will never have another year like he did in 2010. Walks are down but hits are up including HRs. K's/9 are down as well. And who knows when the back problem will return, and it will.

[/QUOTE]

I like Doubront just fine, but better than Buchholz? You are talking about the Felix Doubront that usually can't make it out of the 5th inning right? I want some of whatever it is you're smoking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like Doubront just fine, but better than Buchholz? You are talking about the Felix Doubront that usually can't make it out of the 5th inning right? I want some of whatever it is you're smoking.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that there's any left.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to BarberNJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've read that McCarthy was avoided by many teams because of that head injury that he had in a game last September. Hasn't that ruined the career of several Red Sox pitchers in the last decade?

[/QUOTE]

You are correct...Matt Clement and Bryce Florie were the two guys who were hit in the head.  It's a huge red flag, especially when you consider his shoulder is a concern and he's thrown over 111 innings just once and never came close to 200 innings in a season.  The Sox weren't interested at all and supposedly he didn't want to pitch on the east coast, either...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

McCarthy didnt fit the plans. Why would they want a guy with shoulder issues who just had brain surgery from being hit on the melon with a line drive and has never thrown 120 innings yet in a season?

They needed someone who didnt have an injury history who could give them 200IP. Someone they could hand the ball to every fifth day who could keep them in ballgames. If Dempster gives them 12 wins with an ERA below 4.50, Ill be happy eith that. Sanchez for 16M per and 5 years? Pass. Grienke? No way!!! After that, it gets tough. Nobody was willing to go 2 years except Dempster. Also the Sox have stuck to their plans of not giving away all their prospects. I dont think Dempster is as bad as some here make him out to be. Admittedly, I wasnt thrilled at first either. But knowing the whole situation, There wasnt exactly a lot to choose from.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I recall, it wasn't that long ago that Buchholz couldn't do more than 5 either. Doubront just needs to mature a little. He lets the "Blues" get under his skin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I recall, it wasn't that long ago that Buchholz couldn't do more than 5 either. Doubront just needs to mature a little. He lets the "Blues" get under his skin.

[/QUOTE]

I think Buch, Lester and Doubie will all benefit from John Farrell managing.

Sections
Shortcuts