Now We're Doing PR for Boras?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Now We're Doing PR for Boras?

"I’m starting to see where this is starting to turn and he’s starting to drive the ball with authority to the gap, the opposite way. That shoulder’s getting stronger as we go,” Boras said.

This in today's 

Boras: Return to health led to Ellsbury's surge

Gee thanks, Dr. Boras.

Wake up Globe.  You're not getting paid to write stories for Boras. 

Why pander to Boras? He's the guy who tried to get way too much money for Varitek, who saddled us with Dice-K and Drew.  Now he's going to tell Ells to walk.  He's no friend of the Red Sox.  And he's no expert on injured shoulders.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Now We're Doing PR for Boras?

Scott Boras' public image is due largely to the negative PR campaign of MLB management and its team owners.

Boras performs his job extremely well, apparently within the bounds of the law.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He's an agent.  There should be no doubt whose side he is on.  He doesn't force anyone to sign contracts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Boras is a guy that fans love to hate. His only aim is to get the maximum amount of money for his clients. That is what they pay him to do. He has been very successful at it. In addition to Ellsbury, he also represents both Bradley and Bogaerts , so he will have to be dealt with, like it or not.

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Boras is a guy that fans love to hate. His only aim is to get the maximum amount of money for his clients. That is what they pay him to do. He has been very successful at it. In addition to Ellsbury, he also represents both Bradley and Bogaerts , so he will have to be dealt with, like it or not.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Also, Stephen Drew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...who saddled us with Dice-K and Drew...

Theo and Ben did that- not Bor-a$$.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Who cares about what he does? If Ellsbury produces, good for the Red Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

So reporting on comments made by Boras = doing PR for Boras?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Boras could be right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

...who saddled us with Dice-K and Drew...

Theo and Ben did that- not Bor-a$$.

Sox4ever

I'm willing to bet that the OP is referring to JD, not Stephen.

A one year deal is hardly "saddled" with a player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

So reporting on comments made by Boras = doing PR for Boras?

Yes.  

Was there any new information in the story?  This is known as a puff piece in newspaperland, basically taking whatever the advocate (Boras) says and printing it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Some reporter quoted Boras. This happens all the time. Nothing new, especially around the trade deadline and the winter meetings. Hes a top FA this winter. I dont see any issue or PR here. They did an interview/talk with the most high profile agent who happens to represent Ellsbusry and quoted him....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Yes, but there's no new information, only Boras stating the obvious.

And notice how Boras got his talking points in, from the paragraph I quoted, with "starting" three times to the final few words, where "durability" shows up.

Want to do a real story on Boras, ask him again why it took Ells a year to recover from the fractured ribs -- note Boras' talking point on that, that Ells only got hurt because he ran into somebody.  What does that mean?  That's Boras being defensive, knowing that that's a problem.  But Pete doesn't follow it up, with, say, questions about Ell's getting a reputation for being soft.

Without questions like that, it's a non-story.  It helps Boras sell his product, but doesn't bring any neew insight -- other than Boras' talking points -- to Globe readers.

Maybe carry a two-graph piece, but don't make it look like a full-fledged feature.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Yes, but there's no new information, only Boras stating the obvious.

And notice how Boras got his talking points in, from the paragraph I quoted, with "starting" three times to the final few words, where "durability" shows up.

Want to do a real story on Boras, ask him again why it took Ells a year to recover from the fractured ribs -- note Boras' talking point on that, that Ells only got hurt because he ran into somebody.  What does that mean?  That's Boras being defensive, knowing that that's a problem.  But Pete doesn't follow it up, with, say, questions about Ell's getting a reputation for being soft.

Without questions like that, it's a non-story.  It helps Boras sell his product, but doesn't bring any neew insight -- other than Boras' talking points -- to Globe readers.

Maybe carry a two-graph piece, but don't make it look like a full-fledged feature.

What Im saying is this is no different from anything hes done with any of his clients. Hes always quoted by some baseball reporter. So its not like the Boston papers are doing anything different than any other paper/webiste. I dont really care for it because its obviously the same ol' same ol', I understand that. But he so high profile and over the top that the media is drawn to him.

Boras will obviously defend his client if asked certain questions, or if its anything medical he will not answer the question and refer to the medical staff for the answer. The media just wants to get a quote from him because they can be rather entertaining and over the top. Thats all.

Besides, the article was more about Ellsbury recoving from a serious shoulder injury that could have very well hurt his game. Since hes a FA, and the best OF FA on the market this year, this is a story that makes sense, as well as getting a few quotes from the guys high profile agent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Typical Boras sales pitch

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Scott Boras is just doing his job as an agent.  It's not like he's breaking any law.  

If I was a baseball player then I would hire Boras in a heartbeat!    LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

"I’m starting to see where this is starting to turn and he’s starting to drive the ball with authority to the gap, the opposite way. That shoulder’s getting stronger as we go,” Boras said.

This in today's 

Boras: Return to health led to Ellsbury's surge

Gee thanks, Dr. Boras.

Wake up Globe.  You're not getting paid to write stories for Boras. 

Why pander to Boras? He's the guy who tried to get way too much money for Varitek, who saddled us with Dice-K and Drew.  Now he's going to tell Ells to walk.  He's no friend of the Red Sox.  And he's no expert on injured shoulders.

Ells shoulders has nothing to do with it. A huge paycheck next year will cure all injuries. What a joke !!! I say let Ells walk or trade so sox won't get stuck with a player who will return to injuries and sit on his fat wallet...........What part of Boras don't the Sox understand???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

"Hey, Scott Boras on line three.  Let's get a writer over here to take some quotes."

That's what this is about.  No big deal.  Newspapers take press releases every day.  I just thought the Globe was better than that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"So reporting on comments made by Boras = doing PR for Boras?"

Yup, that's a big part of what PR is these days - getting editorial coverage, especially happy uncritical BS editorial coverage like this. 

The OP is right - the Globe shouldn't give Boras an uncritical platform to voice his propoganda campaign about Ellsbury. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Boras does not need much PR.  In addition to Ellsbury, he represents both of our top prospects, Bogaerts and Bradley. He also represents both starting pitchers in tonight's All Star Game, Harvey and Scherzer. Many others as well. He is doing okay.

Stabbed by Foulke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Boras is a saleman---he is now faced with a high profile guy who is talking MONEY to Boras' clients and a couple have left Boras and gone to the other side. Boras is a story and when he appears newspapers are willing to listen and write what he says.

How would he respond if the Sox, hypothetically, traded Ells to Houston for prospects---NOT GOING TO HAPPEN--what's the spin? The Sox Management had to do what they had to do. Inside he's seething because Ells is in a market with a high downside , low upside currently.

Boras is a master of making the best of a good or bad situation.

When Dice was on his way to Boston--Boras seemed to be there every step of the way. If I'm the client I want to see my agent assuring me everything being done is being done right----there's a lot of money and length of contract at stake. 

"Who Do You Want When the Windshield's Busted?" "You Call The  Giant!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Hey, good point.  I forgot about Jay-Z Money Mouth

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Another question might have been:

So, should Ells be paid like a 30 home run guy or a four home run guy?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

a long article but WELL worth the read.

http://espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=manny

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I wouldnt say this was PR....this was Peter Abraham trying to fill the Extra Bases blog during the All Star break....whether you like what he says or not, Boras talking about one of the Sox players who he represents and is going to be a free agent is news that a Sox Beat reporter should report. The substance of what he said was typical Boras....he knows that when Ells goes to free Agency, the isssue will be what happened to him in 2012 and the drop in power in 2013, so he gets ahead of it....he notes the injury and uses it has a cause of Ells' poor stretch and he plays up the positive of his play this year, while downplaying his power shortage, by saying what you really pay Ell's for is his speed and ability to get on base....any power is just a bonus.....it is what he should do as an agent. Jay Z is going to make an initial impact with alot of players in many sports, and the benefits he can give them outside of their baseball contract may be there, but there is no way he or any agent is going to get them more on their baseball deal then Scott Boras...so eventually i don't see him losing many players to Jay Z.

Sections
Shortcuts