NYY/Beltran agree to 3 year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: NYY/Beltran agree to 3 year deal

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

This board was pining the last few wks about the RS signing Beltran; now that he signed with the 'enemy', ridicule, with a few exceptions. Who would have thought it?  

Who was "pining" for Beltran. I think he was thought of as a possibility. And again, the loss of Cano and Granderson more than makes up for Ellsbury and Beltran. IMO

I think that the Yankees signing of McCann, who is a huge upgrade over what they had last year at catcher, Beltran & Ellsbury, who should put up better numbers with that short porch in right field, is a significant upgrade over losing Cano and Granderson.  That's not even considering the  "intangibles" factor.  They added 3 guys who clearly like the big stage, while getting rid of a guy in Cano, who may never run out a pop fly or ground ball again now that he has his big contract.  

Granderson had a lost year, but losing him and Cano and assuming  Beltran and Jacoby will easily rellace both js an ooversimplification.    Granthed,  McCann is a really insane upgrade over Stewart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

This board was pining the last few wks about the RS signing Beltran; now that he signed with the 'enemy', ridicule, with a few exceptions. Who would have thought it?  

Who was "pining" for Beltran. I think he was thought of as a possibility. And again, the loss of Cano and Granderson more than makes up for Ellsbury and Beltran. IMO

You're right, the pining term was an exaggeration; but to consider him as a possibility then laugh otherwise was the point.

Show me one post where a member here though we should sign Beltran for three years.

Weak posts, even for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 1m

BREAKING: Source says Yankees and Carlos Beltran have agreed to a three-year deal. More details to come.

Great,   good to see the YANK$ getting older by the minute !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Here's a thread from a few days ago:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/sox-pass-on-beltran/100/6919456

Not much pining for 3 years of Beltran going on there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Beltran for 3yrs $15 per is a BARGAIN! We shoulda signed him guys.....he'd have been a beast in Boston and proved he's got plenty in the tank. Bradley is NOT ready...much as we'd all like him to be. He's gotta have 1 more yr in AAA and now we gotta find a REAL replacement for Ellsbury's talent. This team is too good to not spend, and we reset the salary tax threshold thingy LAST year. As much as I cringe while saying it, due to his injury history, I think Kemp is a must pursue now. If they'd eat $45 million of his salary he'd be worth grabbing. He'd be a monster in Beantown and we need the talent. Beltran was the guy....but when you snooze-you lose! Now Kemp's the very last game changer left as a FA. Perhaps the plan is to pursue a major talent via trade, but I sure would rather sign a FA and keep our kids.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:

Beltran for 3yrs $15 per is a BARGAIN! We shoulda signed him guys.....he'd have been a beast in Boston and proved he's got plenty in the tank. Bradley is NOT ready...much as we'd all like him to be. He's gotta have 1 more yr in AAA and now we gotta find a REAL replacement for Ellsbury's talent. This team is too good to not spend, and we reset the salary tax threshold thingy LAST year. As much as I cringe while saying it, due to his injury history, I think Kemp is a must pursue now. If they'd eat $45 million of his salary he'd be worth grabbing. He'd be a monster in Beantown and we need the talent. Beltran was the guy....but when you snooze-you lose! Now Kemp's the very last game changer left as a FA. Perhaps the plan is to pursue a major talent via trade, but I sure would rather sign a FA and keep our kids.

TEAKSTER ...... J B J will be our starting  C F in April !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

For DH or LF?  He is not our DH and in RF for 81 that would be trouble.  3 years?  No way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I think that the Yankees signing of McCann, who is a huge upgrade over what they had last year at catcher, Beltran & Ellsbury, who should put up better numbers with that short porch in right field, is a significant upgrade over losing Cano and Granderson.  That's not even considering the  "intangibles" factor.  They added 3 guys who clearly like the big stage, while getting rid of a guy in Cano, who may never run out a pop fly or ground ball again now that he has his big contract.  

Granderson had a lost year, but losing him and Cano and assuming  Beltran and Jacoby will easily rellace both js an ooversimplification.    Granthed,  McCann is a really insane upgrade over Stewart.

How is it oversimplification? I think the additions of McCann, Ellsbury & Beltran will more than offset the losses of Cano & Granderson, on & off the field.  If you want to take the time to break down the "WAR" stats, have at it, but I'm not sure how I "oversimplified" things.  By the way, do you seriously think Johnson will be their opening day 2nd baseman?  That team is not done yet & people who think losing Cano will be the end of the world for them might just be in for a surprise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

3 years for Beltran = 486 games.

I'll bet he plays less than half of those games over the next 3 seasons

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

BREAKING: Source says Yankees and Carlos Beltran have agreed to a three-year deal. More details to come.

A steal in my opinion!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

A steal in my opinion!

Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN 8h

Reax on Beltran 3/$45 from an exec (reported by @FeinsandNYDN) "Great signing, might be one of the best deals this winter."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

A steal in my opinion!

Reax on Beltran 3/$45 from an exec (reported by @FeinsandNYDN) "Great signing, might be one of the best deals this winter."

As usual (Good Luck) next season Zac.  Pitching (barring injuries) should put your team in great shape.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

A steal in my opinion!

Only time will tell, as with any signing.  It's the number of years, as I've said, the NYY always come up with. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

As usual (Good Luck) next season Zac.  Pitching (barring injuries) should put your team in great shape.

thanks craze still a lot of work ( finger crossing) 2 do

some say omar infante will be next

but tanaka still remains the key to this winter IMO

any thoughts on chase headley

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/headlch01.shtml

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

how much better is Beltran than Nava at this exact point in time?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I don't know. Andrew. Take a poll of all the GMs in baseball and see what they say. Ask the Cardinals while you' re at it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:

I don't know. Andrew. Take a poll of all the GMs in baseball and see what they say. Ask the Cardinals while you' re at it.

yeah you're right as always.  afterall, examing the stats and watching the guys play for yourself is merely a waste of time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

You're right, the pining term was an exaggeration; but to consider him as a possibility then laugh otherwise was the point.

Show me one post where a member here though we should sign Beltran for three years.

Weak posts, even for you.

2 yrs vs 3 yrs? Compelling stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

How is it oversimplification? I think the additions of McCann, Ellsbury & Beltran will more than offset the losses of Cano & Granderson, on & off the field.  If you want to take the time to break down the "WAR" stats, have at it, but I'm not sure how I "oversimplified" things.  By the way, do you seriously think Johnson will be their opening day 2nd baseman?  That team is not done yet & people who think losing Cano will be the end of the world for them might just be in for a surprise.

I still picture them getting Drew and sticking Jeter at second and third.  They do that and the offense improves a bit.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I still picture them getting Drew and sticking Jeter at second and third.  They do that and the offense improves a bit.  

how does that help their offense?  their defense maybe but their offense?  the only thing fun about that would be a sulking Jeter in his last year no longer the face of the franchise, no longer playing SS, and no longer batting lead off....Jorge Posada part 2!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to oscars' comment:

There was some love here for Beltran, but not for 3 years

There was almost no possibility that would happen.  He just doesn't project to do anything that Gomes/Nava can't do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

A steal in my opinion!

I agree, it is a great deal.  I think Cano got a great deal also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:

Player A-.296/.339/.491/.830

Player B-.303/.385/.445/.831

The stats are almost identical.  The only difference is that one of them costs 30x as much, and is considered the worst defensive outfielder in BB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

When Napoli's 2 year contract is up he will be 33. When Beltran's 3 year contract is up he will be 39.

Napoli had a higher WAR, OPS, OB%, was better defensively and takes a ton more pitchers. But Beltran did steal 1 more base.

+1 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

how does that help their offense?  their defense maybe but their offense?  the only thing fun about that would be a sulking Jeter in his last year no longer the face of the franchise, no longer playing SS, and no longer batting lead off....Jorge Posada part 2!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Shockingly, Stephen Drew had the 4th highest OPS of any starting shortstop in the game with more than 440 at bats.  The state of offense with short stops has the bar that low.  Drew basically had an identical season to Reyes with the Blue Jays.

First of all, Jeter can't play short stop anymore and it would make sense for him to play second base or third depending on ARod's situation.  That would cover up his age and regression in range due to injury. 

If Jeter has to play off position at third or short, this forces Brendan Ryan and his career 619 OPS with a 528 OPS last year into action.  Drew has a career 767 OPS with a 777 OPS last year.

Jeter takes over at second for Kelly Johnson when ARod returns and the Yanks have a good offensive and defensive short stop for next year as well when Jeter retires. 

This will net them a huge improvement in defense, but also a significant bump in offense as either Drew or Jeter would either replace Kelly Johnson or Brendan Ryan at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts