NYY Doing Their Best Impression Of A Collapse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: NYY Doing Their Best Impression Of A Collapse

In response to nhsteven's comment:

The 2004 season, while a remarkable & unprecedented feat &  feel good story,does not make up for an entire century of failure; that is a ridiculous excuse that no one but a crack pot fan would subscribe to; & no one in the media viewed it that way either.  Is anyone claiming when the Patriots, also in unprecedented fashion, lost their perfect season in 2008 that was the be all and end all? Why bother playing the games after that? 

As far as '78 was concerned, the Yankees lost on the last Sunday; that was 1 game and hardly constitutes a collapse. You're going to compare that to a 14 1/2 game lead? Who's the naive one? Or, perhaps you were talking about another team; in that case, I can't recall.

However, to change the subject a bit, I want to thank you for sticking up for this thread.

And apologize for bringing up your Munson post, which you did have the eventual good taste to remove.

ok, so losing the final game of regular season isn't really a collapse. BUT...dude, seriously...you have zero clue how the 2004 WS championship affected Boston fans.  so dont even try.  media?  did you read any of the papers after that championship?  did you read the SI articles?  did you read the SI team of the year issue?  did you see the pictures of red sox hats placed on gravestones to finally share the victory?  did you see the 3 million people show up to the duck boat parade?  to try and belittle the feeling sox fans got from that 1 championship is putting your head in the sand.
    i for one have NOW been able to go to yankee stadium without hearing the 1918 chant anymore.  that alone is worth every single game 7 heartbreak.
    seriously, dont try and wax about how a typical sox fan felt in October 2004. 
    to bring up the patriots is a feeble attempt at stirring the pot.  the dude caught a pass on his head.  some things are just meant to be.  whatever. i could careless when compared to baseball or the Boston Red Sox.  2004 will always be 2004.  nothing will ever take that away from a Boston Red Sox fan.  and we all know that no Yankee fan will ever feel the pure joy that we felt during that October.  how do i know?  A) i live down here and just about all my people are diehard yankee fans  B) 2007 didn't feel half as good as 2004.
    you can thank the moderators for deleting munson. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I actually bought that SI. And, nobody is downgrading the historical & cathartic importance of that season and to its fans. The caps on the graves was fitting & a feel good story, even to me & other NYY fans. But, LOL, they did not supplant the NYY as the greatest sports team in world history because of it.

And my original response was based on that feeble collapse taunt of yours, especially since 2004 is usually viewed more as as great clutch play by the RS; the calm demeanor of Tito, after Game 3, the Nixon catch in G 5, the Damon GS in G7, the Ortiz walk-offs, the Roberts SB, the Cabrera & Foulke clutch plays (& let's not forget the Matsui head-hunt; although, it worked, so there's something to say for that); as opposed to the Pesky no-throw, Aparicio, McNamara, Buckner, Torrez, Little, etc; sort of the pot calling the kettle; don't you think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

NHSteven can start a thread that mentions a Yankee collapse but Beni or Benito cannot.  J-Bay would be all over him in minutes. J-Bay is a moderator ( outsourced ) who caters to and sympathizes with Yankee fans. It is extremely obvious. He seems to have a vested interest in maximizing forum activity at the expense of being fair, sincere, and honest. The results of his pampering Yankee fans has resulted in a forum that is predominately comprised of Yankee fans and few loyal Red Sox fans. He has ruined this forum.

+++++++++

The difference is, pike-a-la, is this is one NYY critique thread, of apparently reasonable substance, as opposed to the hundreds of inflammatory threads by Beni; and it took hundreds before something was done about it. It is also likely he's still here, regardless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

ummmm...this thread is about yankee collapse...not red sox collapses.  if it were about red sox collapses then that's what i would have mentioned.  make up your mind on what team this thread is about.  btw - i never blamed buckner.  not in 1986 and not now.
    There were 5 chances to get an out to end the series prior to that play, not to mention an entire game 7.  the pesky no-throw is about as valid as a curse of a fat, boozing, women beating, puppy kicking, slugger.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Point taken, and I stand corrected. Also, I didn't blame buckner either, but it did happen (I was there). That was more on McNamara for not putting in Stapelton, 'cause he wanted Buckner to be on the field for the final out. In retrospect, pretty dumb, (maybe alot dumb) not that NYY MGRs are immune to this. Pesky is a gray area. I agree it's more sensationalism than anything else.

I went to all the Mets games in that '86 series, with seats right over HP (My friend had season passes). A common observation by me & others throughout that Series was "Buckner runs like a wounded duck". I'm sure that had something to do with his inability to bend on the Mookie grounder; and it was a shame because here was a former GGer & Batting Champion playing with a beat up body.

I was actually rooting for the RS in that WS, because I wasn't aware at the time how most RS fans felt about the NYY, and to me, I wanted an AL team to win the WS, because I was an AL fan & was tired of the taunts from the NL fans (They won the ASG something like 14 consecutive times, including heartbrakers like the Callison-1964 & Perez-1967 HRs, the Mays 1st inning run that held-1968, & the Rose-Fosse play-1970, which ruined a potential HOF career) growing up in the 60s.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/20064018/bronx-tale-its-a-sorry-story-for-collapsing-yankees-whose-issues-could-fill-book-

Pretty damning stuff. And here's a tidbit that adds insult to injury, from the NYY POV. My exroomate in college is an Os fan (In fact, I'm going to Camden Yards with him this wkend)
    He actually was rooting for the NYY vs TB, because he's more worried about the Rays!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Poor, poor Yankees fans.   Sorry, I still can't bring myself to feel bad for you guys.   LOL

IMO, you  have nothing to worry about.  The Yankees always find a way to get it done.  The Yankees are even luckier than the Os are.  ;-)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

League needs to step in and do something about this situation.
    With no sox and no yanks in playoffs, ratings will be lower than the conventions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Clamshack1's comment:

Is he a gym rat on a rival baseball forum and enjoy it like you do for some perverse reason?

What does this have to do with the bannings? Please don't foam at the mouth, I've seen it too many times before and it's not becoming.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:

League needs to step in and do something about this situation.
    With no sox and no yanks in playoffs, ratings will be lower than the conventions.

Maybe Bobby V needs to speak at the DNC!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Clamshack1's comment:

No real excuses for a Yankee fan being here and thinking that he is not a guest.  It's like a Catholic going to a Baptist Church  and telling the organist what songs to play.

Of course, the alternative is I could be a Baptist going to same church wearing 30 different disguises that fools nobody and complaining about the song selection, to the irritation of the masses until the cops ask me to leave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In mid-July, the Yankees had a 10-game lead over the O's. 

Now, they are tied for first.  LOL

Damn, when was the last time the O's had a packed stadium?  1996 or 1997?!?   LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

NHSteven can start a thread that mentions a Yankee collapse but Beni or Benito cannot. 

I started a "Yank Tank" thread last spring. It was deleted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Mark Reynolds of the O's is getting hot. 

46,298 fans came to see tonight's game and most of the fans were wearing Orange.

Have fun O's fans!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

NHSteven can start a thread that mentions a Yankee collapse but Beni or Benito cannot. 

And most of the NYY fans who post here, including me, as well as others,  complained about it, which resulted in an apology from Dottie, who tried to resurrect it but could not

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/20064018/bronx-tale-its-a-sorry-story-for-collapsing-yankees-whose-issues-could-fill-book-

Pretty damning stuff. And here's a tidbit that adds insult to injury, from the NYY POV. My exroomate in college is an Os fan (In fact, I'm going to Camden Yards with him this wkend)
    He actually was rooting for the NYY vs TB, because he's more worried about the Rays!

I fear the Rays as well because they have an excellent pitching staff. 

Didn't the Rays sweep a four-game series vs. the Angels a couple of weeks ago? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And most of the NYY fans who post here, including me, as well as others,  complained about it, which resulted in an apology from Dottie, who tried to resurrect it but could not

Yes, true.  It was a good and respectful thread. As it looks right now, several of my areas of possible concerns have come true, while others have not. (Jeter is not human.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think someone needs to check the yankee clubhouse for chicken and beer

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i'm filing a grievance with MLB..the Orioles were cheating...they had people crouched down behind the LF wall pushing it in during the bottom of the 6th, 7th and 8th :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has the age issue I have been ranting about for over 2 years finally started to make an difference?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

i'm filing a grievance with MLB..the Orioles were cheating...they had people crouched down behind the LF wall pushing it in during the bottom of the 6th, 7th and 8th :-)

LOL.  although, i dont recall seeing a fan reach over the wall and scoop in a "HR" that wouldve been caught.  seem to remember something like that in a orioles-yankees game....

btw - Kay really is a joke.  how about him trying to call out the kid for flipping his bat on a ball that "barely made it over the wall".  please.  he's only hit about 32 HR's vs the yankees this year.  if he wants to flip his bat the players will take care of it.  we dont need michael "i never played a game of baseball in my life" kay to police the game.  sorry for the rant.

it really is the chicken and the beer.  y'all should check into that before it's too late.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Has the age issue I have been ranting about for over 2 years finally started to make an difference?

Morning Moon, you could be right, there are concerns(for me) in a bunch of areas, though IRT the pitching you could make a case that two of our youngest(Hughes and Nova) might be the least consistent pitchers over the last 5-6 weeks i also feel like Ibanez and Jones have played a lot more often than designed especially in the field, obviously injuries forced that hand but what can you do? the Rays keep pitching well and the Orioles have IMO flat out thrived in the face of low expects from just about everyone..Yanks better step it up in case the Rays play well against Texas this weekend.....  

Sections
Shortcuts