NYY FO and manager decisions

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: NYY FO and manager decisions

If you truly are a believer that ego has no place in sports, you should be following bowling, croquet or lawn darts...and certainly shouldn't be a Yankees fan.

Your MLB team has some of the biggest egos that ever played, past and present. Starting with A-Fraud,Sabbathia, Burnett , Posada, Reggie Jackson, Jason Giambi,Sheffield, and one that is mutually shared in Red Sox land(perhaps the biggest ego ever)...Roger Clemens.

One good thing I can say about the Yankees ( and I really shouldn't as I have been called a "closet Yankees fan" by a few ignorant readers) Mariano Rivera is perhaps the nicest gentleman in pro sports , very humble, sense of humor, gets it done year after year when the consensus is that he is at the end of the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

As the first batter of the game in 2011, Derek Jeter's numbers:

.375 BA; .437 OBP; .453 SLG; .890 OPS.

As the first batter of the game in 2011, Brett Gardner's numbers:

.171 BA; .275 OBP; .257 SLG; .532

By the way, here are the plate appearances per batting position for Brett Gardner this season:

5th:  2 PA
    6th:  4 PA
    7th: 32 PA
    8th: 81 PA
    9th: 121 PA
    1st: 187 PA

Here are Gardner's overall numbers batting in the number 1 spot this season:

.236 BA; .315 OBP; .339 SLG; .655 OPS

Why not try actually paying attention, rather than looking to bash Derek Jeter and Joe Girardi?  You do the same on Yankee boards, and you make no more sense here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

We like Yankees fans that bash Jeter and Girardi.

It's a nice break from the regulars who bash Francona,Lackey and Crawford.

Making sense has never been a requirement for posting here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In Response to Re: NYY FO and manager decisions:
    We like Yankees fans that bash Jeter and Girardi. It's a nice break from the regulars who bash Francona,Lackey and Crawford. Making sense has never been a requirement for posting here.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

True enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

If you truly are a believer that ego has no place in sports, you should be following bowling, croquet or lawn darts...and certainly shouldn't be a Yankees fan. Your MLB team has some of the biggest egos that ever played, past and present. Starting with A-Fraud,Sabbathia, Burnett , Posada, Reggie Jackson, Jason Giambi,Sheffield, and one that is mutually shared in Red Sox land(perhaps the biggest ego ever)...Roger Clemens

greetings zill

to quote the spaceman

"The more self-centered and egotistical a guy is, the better ballplayer he's going to be."

"You take a team with twenty-five a-holes and I'll show you a pennant. I'll show you the New York Yankees."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

If you truly are a believer that ego has no place in sports, you should be following bowling, croquet or lawn darts...and certainly shouldn't be a Yankees fan. Your MLB team has some of the biggest egos that ever played, past and present. Starting with A-Fraud,Sabbathia, Burnett , Posada, Reggie Jackson, Jason Giambi,Sheffield, and one that is mutually shared in Red Sox land(perhaps the biggest ego ever)...Roger Clemens. One good thing I can say about the Yankees ( and I really shouldn't as I have been called a "closet Yankees fan" by a few ignorant readers) Mariano Rivera is perhaps the nicest gentleman in pro sports , very humble, sense of humor, gets it done year after year when the consensus is that he is at the end of the line.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Rivera is a prince of a man. One suggestion. I think "modest" is more accurate than "humble." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

As usual zac, your point is well stated and not at all untrue.

Believing in yourself is very important in life. But big egos like those of Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds generally make people want to hate them. These players have more haters than fans.

But, as I stated , it is possible to be a great player and be quiet and humble. Mariano Rivera was my first example. Others include Carl Yastrzemski, Raymond Bourque, Bobby Orr, Al Kaline, Johnny Unitas,...many other players from the past. Dustin Pedroia seems to be this type also, a throwback to when pro athletes were more respected as human beings too. George Foreman always seemed to be a humble man, but I never was a big boxing fan.

I think more pro athletes should follow the example of these players and believe in themselves without appearing openly self-centered. Most people already think they are overpaid , but they could at least act more mature....especially football players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

As usual zac, your point is well stated and not at all untrue. Believing in yourself is very important in life. But big egos like those of Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds generally make people want to hate them. These players have more haters than fans. But, as I stated , it is possible to be a great player and be quiet and humble. Mariano Rivera was my first example. Others include Carl Yastrzemski, Raymond Bourque, Bobby Orr, Al Kaline, Johnny Unitas,...many other players from the past. Dustin Pedroia seems to be this type also, a throwback to when pro athletes were more respected as human beings too. George Foreman always seemed to be a humble man, but I never was a big boxing fan. I think more pro athletes should follow the example of these players and believe in themselves without appearing openly self-centered. Most people already think they are overpaid , but they could at least act more mature....especially football players.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    For modesty and personal grace in Boston's history, one man who stands out is Bobby Doerr. Williams called him "the nicest man I've met in sports."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

As usual zac, your point is well stated and not at all untrue. Believing in yourself is very important in life. But big egos like those of Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds generally make people want to hate them. These players have more haters than fans. But, as I stated , it is possible to be a great player and be quiet and humble. Mariano Rivera was my first example. Others include Carl Yastrzemski, Raymond Bourque, Bobby Orr, Al Kaline, Johnny Unitas,...many other players from the past. Dustin Pedroia seems to be this type also, a throwback to when pro athletes were more respected as human beings too. George Foreman always seemed to be a humble man, but I never was a big boxing fan. I think more pro athletes should follow the example of these players and believe in themselves without appearing openly self-centered. Most people already think they are overpaid , but they could at least act more mature....especially football players.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I think more pro athletes should follow the example of these players and believe in themselves without appearing openly self-centered. Most people already think they are overpaid , but they could at least act more mature....especially football players.

good stuff zill

but did you have to bring hockey into it ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

If you truly are a believer that ego has no place in sports, you should be following bowling, croquet or lawn darts...and certainly shouldn't be a Yankees fan. Your MLB team has some of the biggest egos that ever played, past and present. Starting with A-Fraud,Sabbathia, Burnett , Posada, Reggie Jackson, Jason Giambi,Sheffield, and one that is mutually shared in Red Sox land(perhaps the biggest ego ever)...Roger Clemens. One good thing I can say about the Yankees ( and I really shouldn't as I have been called a "closet Yankees fan" by a few ignorant readers) Mariano Rivera is perhaps the nicest gentleman in pro sports , very humble, sense of humor, gets it done year after year when the consensus is that he is at the end of the line.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Sabbathia Big Ego ? Sorry that is simply not true, Also to say Giambi has a big ego is another mis-representation.  The guy was loved by both his team and the opposition, in fact he still is.  He was/is a guy who simply likes to have fun. As for Bostons list of ego headcases, Shilling, Manny, Pedro, Foulke, Papelbon... but really who cares most great athletes have outsized ego's. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'm getting tired of hearing Yankee fans glorify Brett Gardner.  He plays great defensive... whatever, who cares.  I for one believe defense is an overrated aspect of a players game.  The bat is far more important and Gardner's bat is meh.  Yeah he steals bases but he has no power and only 28 RBI?

He'll be a starting OF'er in this league but he's not a gamechanger.  I think Yankee fans are just trying to force Ellsbury comparisons on the guy but at the end of the day, he's not even sniffing Ellsbury's level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

SPC - where is anyone comparing the two? Gardner is a slap hitter and a catalyst who is an excellent defensive player. And defense is not over-rated in the game of baseball. And when he is on base, he is game changer. But you are correct, at least for this year, he is not in Ells class in all-around game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

From an outsider's perspective, I think Girardi has done a remarkable job this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

SPC - where is anyone comparing the two? Gardner is a slap hitter and a catalyst who is an excellent defensive player. And defense is not over-rated in the game of baseball. And when he is on base, he is game changer. But you are correct, at least for this year, he is not in Ells class in all-around game.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jessey- I just mean this year in general.  I used this thread just to throw my thoughts in.  I never said he doesn't play great defense but I just think that in general, defense is an overrated metric for judging a player.  Now if it comes down to 2 comparable hitters and a tiebreaker is needed then go with the better glove.  Other than that, give me the 25/100 guy over the 5/50 guy with a gold glove.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm getting tired of hearing Yankee fans glorify Brett Gardner.  He plays great defensive... whatever, who cares.  I for one believe defense is an overrated aspect of a players game.  The bat is far more important and Gardner's bat is meh.  Yeah he steals bases but he has no power and only 28 RBI? He'll be a starting OF'er in this league but he's not a gamechanger.  I think Yankee fans are just trying to force Ellsbury comparisons on the guy but at the end of the day, he's not even sniffing Ellsbury's level.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Defense is under-rated by the average fan.  Gardner is a very good player.

Only 16 OF in MLB have a better OPS ( />250 AB) this year.  Of those 16, how many are half as good as he is in the field?  

Here is a list of guys with lower OPS than Gardner at .770 in 2011:

Markakis,  Crawford,  Sizemore, Hunter, BJ Upton, DeJesus, Choo, D. Murphy, Suzuki, Drew, Wells, Ordonez, Rios.

I'd say Gardner is easily a top ten OF in MLB in 2011, not bad at half the cost.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: NYY FO and manager decisions :   Sabathia has an ego problem?
    Posted by prknsdnld

yeah, that was the only name I questioned..from what Ive heard and read about the guy hes a class act, great father and all around "good guy"..everyone else belongs on that list...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ((The--Babe)). Show ((The--Babe))'s posts

I'm getting tired of hearing Yankee fans glorify Brett Gardner.  He plays great defensive... whatever, who cares.  I for one believe defense is an overrated aspect of a players game.  The bat is far more important and Gardner's bat is meh.  Yeah he steals bases but he has no power and only 28 RBI? He'll be a starting OF'er in this league but he's not a gamechanger.  I think Yankee fans are just trying to force Ellsbury comparisons on the guy but at the end of the day, he's not even sniffing Ellsbury's level.

Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

No, you try to force the comparison of a LF to a CF. Why not compare CF to CF and LF to LF? 

I'll tell you why you don't, it's because Granderson is better than ells and Gardner is better than jd crawful, that's why.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: NYY FO and manager decisions : not necessay Mikey
    Posted by J-BAY

Like you do J...I'm poking a little fun.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -)TheBabe(-. Show -)TheBabe(-'s posts

In Response to Re: NYY FO and manager decisions : Like you do J...I'm poking a little fun.

Posted by mikeyinthebronx

jbay is a one way street

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: NYY FO and manager decisions : jbay is a one way street
    Posted by -)TheBabe(-

I kind of agree.

Sections
Shortcuts