NYY get Ells, but....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: NYY get Ells, but....

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

GM Zac,

Unlike last winter the Yanks got the memo this off season.

A Sox championship will do it every time.

Strong up the middle is a great start for any team.

Knowing the Yankees they will secure a competitive starting staff.

Many here forget that with all the Yanks problems last season they were in the mix until late.

People don't realize it but a strong Yankee team is good for Boston.

greetings Hingham Hammer

something must really be wrong with R friend

otherwise he would be all over both of us for coupon hal comments

[/QUOTE]

Hi my friend. I agree. He has us there.

It could be because he has been touting the yanks catching prospects and has no answer for signing McCann to a 5 year contract.

He said he was going to come back "once the Sox got eliminated from the playoffs,and that would be sooner than later".

I miss him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Davis has great speed, but his OBP is terrible.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Sox won't go near Raja.  He is the anti-Sox offensive profile.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

onemanbanned again.

Look at the bright side Skippy.

You now have more time to learn simple math.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Sweeney Murti reporting that Jeter stormed into Hal's office 2 hours ago demanding that #2 not be given to Ellsbury.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Seeing a lot of names being thrown around who are nothing but mediocre ham and eggers. That is not going to work. There is a fine line between winning the A.L. East and dropping to fourth place. I have to think that Ben has a better plan than some of us do. At least , I hope he does. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Don't you know you are banned, onemanbanned.

All your posts have been removed.

At least I know you won't be coming back as a math teacher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The 2008 New York Yankees finished third in the AL East with a rotation that included Andy Pettitte, Mark Mussina, Darrell Rasner, Chien-Ming Wang and Sidney Ponson (and only Pettitte and Wang returned for the 2009 season).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2008.shtml

In the following offseason, the Yankees spent heavily in the free agent market and won the 2009 World Series.

The 2013 New York Yankees finished third in the AL East and so far have spent heavily in the free agent market.

Who knows what the future holds?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN 1h

A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

Retweeted by Pete Abraham

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So was Quintin Berry, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jacksonwhile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AJ shows that the "anti-offensive profile" (OBP .297 2013)  just got a 1 year contract.

Davis has great speed, but his OBP is terrible.

While OBP is affected by position and the players behind in the lineup. Davis' career .316 OBP is hardly "terrible". 

In addition, if you look at the splits, based on your acute baseball evaluation skills, Ellsbury's career .733 OPS v. LP is terrible when compared to Davis' .779 career OPS v. LP.

Davis is a perfect short term low cost complimen training wheels with andt to Bradley, to such an extent that it makes the notion of offering Ellsbury 100 plus million de facto insanity. 

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury's money/years is indeed "de facto" insanity.  We are of one mind on this.

As for the rest of this, I admire your nimble cherry-picking skills.  But, suffice to say that there should be a difference in offensive expectation between a short-term catcher and a short-term center fielder.  And, again, I am not comparing Ellsbury to Davis.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So was Quintin Berry, right?

[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges, no?  Berry was brought in as a pinch-runner for a playoff run.  Davis would be taking over at least a platoon in center.  I don't get the comparison.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its early, and like I said the NYY arent done yet. My point was that they NEED pitching, and lots of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to boboinfla's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Young Mr Hal Steinbrenner had the wool pulled over his eyes. He hates spending his inheritance. He wanted Yanquis to get that payroll in line. Now his team will give the Rays a portion of  the so called "spending tax" and they will use it wisely. No blame from here about Boras. This guy pulled one of the greatest cons in MLB history.

[/QUOTE]
    This is one of the things that bothers me about this.  The Yankees will be the favorites to win the AL East and we will be fighting for a WC spot against the Rays who are being funded by the Yankees.  This is such a screwed up system. 

[/QUOTE]

Really? We don't even know who will be on our team next year, not completely anyway. I have no idea who the "favorite" to win the ALE will be. No one does until the rosters are complete.

[/QUOTE]
    I'll tell you what I'll do.  I'll meet you here one week before the start of Spring Training and one of us will have the right to say, "I told you so!"

Given the moves the Yankees have made and the money they've spent thus far, I like my chances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Young Mr Hal Steinbrenner had the wool pulled over his eyes. He hates spending his inheritance. He wanted Yanquis to get that payroll in line. Now his team will give the Rays a portion of  the so called "spending tax" and they will use it wisely. No blame from here about Boras. This guy pulled one of the greatest cons in MLB history.

[/QUOTE]
    This is one of the things that bothers me about this.  The Yankees will be the favorites to win the AL East and we will be fighting for a WC spot against the Rays who are being funded by the Yankees.  This is such a screwed up system. 

[/QUOTE]

Really? We don't even know who will be on our team next year, not completely anyway. I have no idea who the "favorite" to win the ALE will be. No one does until the rosters are complete.

[/QUOTE]
    I'll tell you what I'll do.  I'll meet you here one week before the start of Spring Training and one of us will have the right to say, "I told you so!"

Given the moves the Yankees have made and the money they've spent thus far, I like my chances.

[/QUOTE]

They MIGHT end up favored to win the ALE, but the information is incomplete. If they acquire some good SP then I would possibly agree with you, depending on what moves Cherington makes. Saying that the Sox are not favored to win the ALE is like saying the cake tastes like crap when it hasn't been put in the oven to bake yet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whats their rotation look like?

CC - aging and coming off a bad year

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

Sorry guys, but unless they get a couple solid starters and a true closer its all for nothing. they might have a better lineup with Ells, but their rotation and bullpen are very questionable. Im sure they arent done yet, but will need much better pitching than what they currently have.

pitching wins championships as we saw this year and in years past.

They can have Ellsbury for 22M per.

[/QUOTE]

Amen. But, even setting aside their pitching issues...Ellsbury has never been a durable guy. He's 30 years old now. How good is he going to be at age 33? 

Losing Ells stings a bit now. But, letting him go at that price was absolutely the right thing to do. Apparently, the Yankees learned nothing from the Red Sox Carl Crawford mistake. Glad the Sox have learned.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They MIGHT end up favored to win the ALE, but the information is incomplete. If they acquire some good SP then I would possibly agree with you, depending on what moves Cherington makes. Saying that the Sox are not favored to win the ALE is like saying the cake tastes like crap when it hasn't been put in the oven to bake yet.

[/QUOTE]

Remember last winter the Toronto Blue Jays were everyone's favorite to win the AL East. Pennants are won in the dog days of summer, and summer doesn't end until late september.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Yankees have spent so much money already, and they still need money for Cano, money for pitching, etc., and money for the umpires. Who knows how much it will total in the end. And it's only Dec. 4.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"it makes for better baseball"  southpaw

It does? So a team that walks on us 90% of the time is the team you want to see improved? I prefer they finish last.

[/QUOTE]

Historically they own us.... 86 years.... 3 in 9 doesn't erase any of that.

90%? I think your numbers are off a bit. Last I checked, the Sox have won 3 WSC the last decade.

And yes, I like competetive baseball. I dont like things handed over, Id rather earn it. So thats what I like to see when I watch my team play. So like I said...It makes for better baseball

[/QUOTE]

25. This post has been removed.