[QUOTE]

Whats their rotation look like?

CC - aging and coming off a bad year

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

Sorry guys, but unless they get a couple solid starters and a true closer its all for nothing. they might have a better lineup with Ells, but their rotation and bullpen are very questionable. Im sure they arent done yet, but will need much better pitching than what they currently have.

pitching wins championships as we saw this year and in years past.

They can have Ellsbury for 22M per.

[/QUOTE]

Again agree 100%. Yankee Stadium = RS CF grave yard. Its where 30+ RS CF's go to die. Very wealthy CF's I might add. But your point on the pitching is right on point. That staff w/ Jeter @ SS and who knows @ 3B is a big problem and unless they can somehow pry a David Price from Rays, which they don't have the prospects to do, and never will if they continue to make these crazy signings, they probably won't make the playoffs. Not to mention they still need bullpen help. Its almost like roles have reversed. The RS used to be the team w/ the great lineup that scored all the runs, but never had enough pitching, while the Yanks always had and surplus of good pitching and the WS trophy's to go with it. IMO RS will win another WS title long before Yanks do!

[/QUOTE]

They lose their 1 st and 2nd round, but I believe have comp picks. If they dont sign both Tanaka and Kuroda and a closer, they will have to trade for one. Thats fine, I know they will throw stupid money at players. If they can win one by spending another half billion, they will and never regret all those deals in a few years because they have endless funds.

This is why I cant stand all the "The Sox have money like NYY" BS. yes they do have money, but not NYY money where they can afford to throw away 22M and a NTC at a guy like Ells, 30M per at arod, 22M at tex 23M at CC probably 28M at cano, all for 7+ years. Oh, and 17M for McCann for 5yrs (6th option)...Thats 142M for 6 players. No team can do that, not even the Sox, nor should they. Arod might have 2014 off, but he will be back in 2015 and they almost HAVE to sign Cano now.

But heres the funny thing...You dont have to do that to win a WSC. You have to spend some $$, but not be an idiot about it. NYY will always be in "win now" mode and will always have a bare farm system because of how they do things. Sorry, thats just not a smart way to run an organization IMHO. That is, unless you have unlimited funds.... Well, This should at least liven the rivalry up some. Cant wait to stick it to the NYY next year.

[/QUOTE]

Spending big $ on FA's only wins 1 thing = The offseason. Winning WS Championships is not about signing FA's. Only 1 team in the recent past won a WS title by spending for FA's and that was the 08 Yanks. But remember the core of that team was the homegrown guys. From that point Yanks have grown old and crusty, this was a desperation move by Yanks. RS fans knew Ells wasn't coming back, but are more upset that he's in the Bronx. Instead of taking RS players Yanks should take note of how the RS have won 3 WS's in past 10 yrs. Spend wisely, develope players from within. Look RS have said goodbye to fan favorites Pedro / Damon / and now Ellsbury but RS will continue to win WS because when Damon left they plugged in Ells, and now w/ Ells gone they will count on JBJ to do the job. This is how you win in MLB. Cards said goodbye to Albert Pujols [when many thought he was the best player in baseball] the player they got w/ compensation pick = Michael Wacha, and have been to 2 of the 3 WS's since his departure. RS and Cards know what they are doing. Yanks are a desperate team, like I said before mark my words B.Cash will not be around to see the end of Ells deal. G.Michael built the Yank Dynasty from the draft which Cash inherited, and is trying desperately to continue by spending foolishly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: NYY get Ells, but....

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

Sorry guys, but unless they get a couple solid starters and a true closer its all for nothing. they might have a better lineup with Ells, but their rotation and bullpen are very questionable. Im sure they arent done yet, but will need much better pitching than what they currently have.

[/QUOTE]

Amen. But, even setting aside their pitching issues...Ellsbury has never been a durable guy. He's 30 years old now. How good is he going to be at age 33? 

Losing Ells stings a bit now. But, letting him go at that price was absolutely the right thing to do. Apparently, the Yankees learned nothing from the Red Sox Carl Crawford mistake. Glad the Sox have learned.

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

Ell's has shown he can play in this market.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

GM HH

another thing that bothers me about the comparison

is from day 1 there was a controversy about whether craw fit or not

where would he bat

I believe him not wanting to lead off started the negitive vibes w/fans

where as ells fits as a lead off guy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

GM HH

another thing that bothers me about the comparison

is from day 1 there was a controversy about whether craw fit or not

where would he bat

I believe him not wanting to lead off started the negitive vibes w/fans

where as ells fits as a lead off guy

[/QUOTE]

GM Zac,

Good point.

I expect Ell's to be everything the Yankees hope he will be.

He is the one player the Sox will struggle to replace.

If they use the money not spent on Ell's on a top of the rotation type then I can live with him moving on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"it makes for better baseball"  southpaw

It does? So a team that walks on us 90% of the time is the team you want to see improved? I prefer they finish last.

Historically they own us.... 86 years.... 3 in 9 doesn't erase any of that.

90%? I think your numbers are off a bit. Last I checked, the Sox have won 3 WSC the last decade.

And yes, I like competetive baseball. I dont like things handed over, Id rather earn it. So thats what I like to see when I watch my team play. So like I said...It makes for better baseball

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine..You live in the past and Ill concentrate on whats going on "today".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Ouch Ells turned down more from Sea!?!

The Mariners were seemingly willing to give Ellsbury a stunning nine-year deal, but the center fielder was apparently less than enthused about going to Seattle. (Sherman)

New York's singular spending capacity is closely connected to its unique financial circumstances. The club's ticket sales and stadium seat licenses took a greater-than-$50MM hit last year due to missing the post-season

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

Amen. But, even setting aside their pitching issues...Ellsbury has never been a durable guy. He's 30 years old now. How good is he going to be at age 33? 

Losing Ells stings a bit now. But, letting him go at that price was absolutely the right thing to do. Apparently, the Yankees learned nothing from the Red Sox Carl Crawford mistake. Glad the Sox have learned.

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

[/QUOTE]

The problem with the Crawford contract wasn't the market. He wasn't worth that kind of money to begin with (nor is Ells)...that he started to decline in Boston only made things worse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

[/QUOTE]

The problem with the Crawford contract wasn't the market. He wasn't worth that kind of money to begin with (nor is Ells)...that he started to decline in Boston only made things worse.

[/QUOTE]

I say a player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[/QUOTE]

really?!?

so was arod worth $29MM last year?

how about CC?

or Texiera?

i love how yankees fans think. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to redsoxeveofspring's comment:

Ellsbury isn't a lot better than Gardner. The Yankees will soon regret not spending the 150 plus million elsewhere. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

really?!?

how about CC?

or Texiera?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that statement didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and the pressure of living up a BIG contract, in a BIG market. Some can handle it, some can't. Ellsbury can play in the market, we'll see how he handles it coupled with the contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and the pressure of living up a BIG contract, in a BIG market. Some can handle it, some can't. Ellsbury can play in the market, we'll see how he handles it coupled with the contract.

[/QUOTE] i always thought with Crawford, just because you play in the division(Rays vs Yanks and Sox) doesn't mean you truly have a clear handle on what it's like to play there, to me reading about it and seeing it from the outside doesn't correctly prep you for being in it..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] i always thought with Crawford, just because you play in the division(Rays vs Yanks and Sox) doesn't mean you truly have a clear handle on what it's like to play there, to me reading about it and seeing it from the outside doesn't correctly prep you for being in it..

[/QUOTE]

and under the circus tentSealedTongue Out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Funny thing is....had he ended up anywhere but NYY he would have been cheered for everytime he visited the Fens.  now he will get the full monty 9x a year. 

$153MM will surely make it easier.

personally I give him a standing 'o' first AB.  after that.....gloves come off

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Crawford mistake"

Not a good comparison.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and under the circus tentSealedTongue Out

[/QUOTE] someone should have told him early bird dinners are alot different than showing up to the club at midnight :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

Again agree 100%. Yankee Stadium = RS CF grave yard. Its where 30+ RS CF's go to die. Very wealthy CF's I might add. But your point on the pitching is right on point. That staff w/ Jeter @ SS and who knows @ 3B is a big problem and unless they can somehow pry a David Price from Rays, which they don't have the prospects to do, and never will if they continue to make these crazy signings, they probably won't make the playoffs. Not to mention they still need bullpen help. Its almost like roles have reversed. The RS used to be the team w/ the great lineup that scored all the runs, but never had enough pitching, while the Yanks always had and surplus of good pitching and the WS trophy's to go with it. IMO RS will win another WS title long before Yanks do!

[/QUOTE]

They lose their 1 st and 2nd round, but I believe have comp picks. If they dont sign both Tanaka and Kuroda and a closer, they will have to trade for one. Thats fine, I know they will throw stupid money at players. If they can win one by spending another half billion, they will and never regret all those deals in a few years because they have endless funds.

This is why I cant stand all the "The Sox have money like NYY" BS. yes they do have money, but not NYY money where they can afford to throw away 22M and a NTC at a guy like Ells, 30M per at arod, 22M at tex 23M at CC probably 28M at cano, all for 7+ years. Oh, and 17M for McCann for 5yrs (6th option)...Thats 142M for 6 players. No team can do that, not even the Sox, nor should they. Arod might have 2014 off, but he will be back in 2015 and they almost HAVE to sign Cano now.

But heres the funny thing...You dont have to do that to win a WSC. You have to spend some $$, but not be an idiot about it. NYY will always be in "win now" mode and will always have a bare farm system because of how they do things. Sorry, thats just not a smart way to run an organization IMHO. That is, unless you have unlimited funds.... Well, This should at least liven the rivalry up some. Cant wait to stick it to the NYY next year.

[/QUOTE]

Yanks were able to win a WS after spending like crazy following the 08 season in which they didn't make the playoffs. Think they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle a 2nd time. I just don't see it happening. They don't have the same nucleus they had then and there are no CC's on the FA market. I'm not even sure they can count on Kuroda even if he does return, he was terrible from Aug.1 on and he hasn't gotten any younger. Its all about the pitching and the Yanks don't have enough. We haven't even mentioned that the best closer is no longer at the back end which the Yanks could always count on winning 95% of their games if they had a lead in the 8th inning. Look does Ells make the Yanks a better team of course, but that $ could have been spent so much better, they basically already had a Ells on the team in Gardner. Yanks have a declining CC, a declining Jeter, a declining Texiera, a declining or awol Arod, a retired Pettite and Mo. Even if Cano returns [which I believe he will] this team is an 85 win team at best. If they go get 2 top of rotation starters and a closer, then I'll start to worry! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yanks were able to win a WS after spending like crazy following the 08 season in which they didn't make the playoffs. Think they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle a 2nd time. I just don't see it happening. They don't have the same nucleus they had then and there are no CC's on the FA market. I'm not even sure they can count on Kuroda even if he does return, he was terrible from Aug.1 on and he hasn't gotten any younger. Its all about the pitching and the Yanks don't have enough. We haven't even mentioned that the best closer is no longer at the back end which the Yanks could always count on winning 95% of their games if they had a lead in the 8th inning. Look does Ells make the Yanks a better team of course, but that $ could have been spent so much better, they basically already had a Ells on the team in Gardner. Yanks have a declining CC, a declining Jeter, a declining Texiera, a declining or awol Arod, a retired Pettite and Mo. Even if Cano returns [which I believe he will] this team is an 85 win team at best. If they go get 2 top of rotation starters and a closer, then I'll start to worry! 

[/QUOTE]

When last they turned the tide of fortune by spending a fortune, they made the acquisition of a bona fide ace the centerpiece of that wild spending spree.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nova - inconsistent

Pineda - always hurt

Phelps - who?

Warren - who?

no closer - no more Mo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

really?!?

how about CC?

or Texiera?

[/QUOTE]

"i love how yankees fans think."

LOL you clueless clown.

It's Sox fans like you that give the rest of us a bad name.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

Funny thing is....had he ended up anywhere but NYY he would have been cheered for everytime he visited the Fens.  now he will get the full monty 9x a year. 

$153MM will surely make it easier.

personally I give him a standing 'o' first AB.  after that.....gloves come off

[/QUOTE]

"now he will get the full monty"

Are you really so dumb as to think that players make financial decisions based on how fans will react to them?

Please, wake up Skippy. They don't care what you do or don't do. Your a nobody.