Obviously

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Obviously

This is apropos of nothing. Just something I have noticed. When a ballplayer is being interviewed, he will invariably start his response with " I mean " , and you can bet that there will be an " obviously" or two  in there somewhere. " Obviously " is obviously the favorite word in any response. Also, when asked how big the win was , the answer will almost always be " it was huge."  Like I said, this signifies nothing.  Just something for a boring day. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Obviously

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This is apropos of nothing. Just something I have noticed. When a ballplayer is being interviewed, he will invariably start his response with " I mean " , and you can bet that there will be an " obviously" or two  in there somewhere. " Obviously " is obviously the favorite word in any response. Also, when asked how big the win was , the answer will almost always be " it was huge."  Like I said, this signifies nothing.  Just something for a boring day. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

D, don't be so hard on these guys.  After all, they are just happy to be here.  They are just taking it one game at a time and doing whatever it takes to help the ballclub.  Good lord willing hopfully things will work out.  Its like a friend of mine used to say:  its a simple game - you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

On the other hand, when you get a little too candid or creative with your responses, like Ortiz, or Theo Epstein with his disastrous 'bridge' metaphor, the buzzards will devour you.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Mike Easler used 29 "you knows" in a 2-minute interview

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They are here to play BASEBALL, not act as  COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS  !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Must be close to beddy time, doofus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or when a player on the SOX is interviewed after another loss, and he says "we stink." I'd like that player to be more specific. Name the players who actually stink. This generic 'WE' BS is not enlightening. Of course, most of us who watch the games already know who stinks, but it would be refreshing to hear the players say it.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

yeah, it would be super refreshing for a player to call out his teammates.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillyKlaus. Show BillyKlaus's posts

It's a good point that this thread is making but I really think this is just a reflection of how humans communicate when the answer really is obvious a lot of the time. As has already been stated, you throw, hit, and/or catch the ball and you either win or you lose, unless it rains. It's a simple game and reporters ask simple questions to which the players are expected to come up with complex responses. That is quite a challenge to say the least. I really feel that people, fans and reporters alike, spend entirely too much time trying to make too much out of the game rather than just admiring it for its simplicity. It's essentially the same thing that happens a lot of the time on sports forums like this one except that forum posters can criticize anyone as much as they feel the need to in the absence of complex responses. The ballplayers don't have that outlet in their public responses so they resort to mostly obvious and predictable answers to mostly simple questions about a basically simple game. We are all guilty of trying to make the game of baseball much more complicated than it actually is. I think the trick may be to admire the game for its simplicity and then the players' responses will seem more appropriate.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Or when a player on the SOX is interviewed after another loss, and he says "we stink." I'd like that player to be more specific. Name the players who actually stink. This generic 'WE' BS is not enlightening. Of course, most of us who watch the games already know who stinks, but it would be refreshing to hear the players say it.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for agreeing. We don't usually agree. I like that 'super refreshing?' Btw, Spaceman, did you know that Bill Lee had a sense of humor? Why would a somber guy like you choose him for your moniker and avatar?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha.  Somber?  Me?  Oh, because I don't laugh along with your barbs and zings?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

D, don't be so hard on these guys.  After all, they are just happy to be here.  They are just taking it one game at a time and doing whatever it takes to help the ballclub.  Good lord willing hopfully things will work out.  Its like a friend of mine used to say:  its a simple game - you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd say the problem might be with the questions.  Like you said, most is this is fairly simple.  If I win, I feel good, if I lost I feel bad, if we win during a pennant race, it's important.  If I went 0-4, I had a bad day.  They ask question for stuff that really doesn't require an in-depth answer.

I seldom hear questions like matchups or why they went for an extra base.

And I don't believe I have ever heard a tough BB question like 'why did you swing at a ball in the dirt up 2-0?' or 'you were down 3 runs with no one guarding the line.  Why not bunt?'

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd say the problem might be with the questions.  Like you said, most is this is fairly simple.  If I win, I feel good, if I lost I feel bad, if we win during a pennant race, it's important.  If I went 0-4, I had a bad day.  They ask question for stuff that really doesn't require an in-depth answer.

I seldom hear questions like matchups or why they went for an extra base.

And I don't believe I have ever heard a tough BB question like 'why did you swing at a ball in the dirt up 2-0?' or 'you were down 3 runs with no one guarding the line.  Why not bunt?'

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Joe, my post was a quote lift from bull Durham: Nuke LaLoosh regurgitating all the stock answers you give to reporters that Crash taught him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for agreeing. We don't usually agree. I like that 'super refreshing?' Btw, Spaceman, did you know that Bill Lee had a sense of humor? Why would a somber guy like you choose him for your moniker and avatar?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

No, it's because you take this mediocre sport of baseball so seriously, especially the less than mediocre RED SOX. The reason I call baseball mediocre is because with the too many teams, there is more mediocre players than good ones. As for the barbs and zings, well, the comedy writes itself.

Btw, if it makes you feel better, you are funnier than joe briedy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

No, it's because you take this mediocre sport of baseball so seriously, especially the less than mediocre RED SOX. The reason I call baseball mediocre is because with the too many teams, there is more mediocre players than good ones. As for the barbs and zings, well, the comedy writes itself.

Btw, if it makes you feel better, you are funnier than joe briedy.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Seriously, Joe Breidy is funny.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

No, it's because you take this mediocre sport of baseball so seriously, especially the less than mediocre RED SOX. The reason I call baseball mediocre is because with the too many teams, there is more mediocre players than good ones.[/QUOTE]

Most of the people on this forum take baseball seriously.

As for the dilution factor, there are 50% more teams now than there were in 1967.  But the population of the U.S. is also 50% higher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

One misplaced, controversial, or misunderstood word from a ballplayer can make millions of fans go into a tizzy.

Sometimes it's good to dumb it down when your audience is prone to dumbing it up.  (With a big helping hand from the media).

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No, it's because you take this mediocre sport of baseball so seriously, especially the less than mediocre RED SOX. The reason I call baseball mediocre is because with the too many teams, there is more mediocre players than good ones.[/QUOTE]

As for the dilution factor, there are 50% more teams now than there were in 1967.  But the population of the U.S. is also 50% higher.

[/QUOTE]

Statistics don't always defeat an opinion; this is one of those times. I'll stick with my eyes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sometimes it's good to dumb it down when your audience is prone to dumbing it up. 

[/QUOTE]

Well put.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Belichick could give a seminar on how to answer reporter's questions.

Stabbed by Foulke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

What I find amusing is how mad a lot of fans get when a player doesn't talk to reporters.

I mean can you imagine having those ridiculous conversations all day? it was one of the things I liked most about Jim Rice is that he told all those clowns to beat it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And talent is coming from a lot more countries....

other names i have posted under:  none

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What I find amusing is how mad a lot of fans get when a player doesn't talk to reporters.

I mean can you imagine having those ridiculous conversations all day? it was one of the things I liked most about Jim Rice is that he told all those clowns to beat it.

[/QUOTE]

He picked up a reporter once and put him in a trash can...

Sections
Shortcuts