October 17, 2004, 11:40 pm, St. Louis ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

October 17, 2004, 11:40 pm, St. Louis ...

The Curse is broken ....

How sweet it was!   The impossible became possible!

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

Repeat?  Another impossible year following the one we now celebrate?

J

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: October 17, 2004, 11:40 pm, St. Louis ...

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

It's still so bizarre to think about the Red Sox winning not just one, but three World Series titles in my lifetime.

My first memories of a Boston team winning a title was the 1970 Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. I was too young to remember the Celtics winning with Russell.

So from 1970 through 2000 -- three decades -- Boston teams won seven titles: Celtics 5, Bruins 2, Red Sox 0, Patriots 0. And four of the seven came from 1970 to 1976.

And overall, they were 7-11 in championship series/Super Bowl: Bruins 2-5, Celtics 5-2, Red Sox 0-2, Patriots 0-2.

After the Celtics won in 1986, Boston teams won ZERO titles over the next 14 years and were 0-5 playing for titles.

From 2001 to present, Boston teams have won eight titles: Red Sox 3, Patriots 3, Celtics 1, Bruins 1. And overall, they are 8-4 in championship series/Super Bowl: Red Sox 3-0, Patriots 3-2, Bruins 1-1, Celtics 1-1.

Simply amazing. Boston fans born in the 1990 and on really are spoiled. 

Edited to fix 5-11 to 7-11.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Oh, and answer to the question -- sure the Sox can repeat. After what I've seen this century, he!!, anything is possible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Very tough to repeat in baseball. I hope so, right now just want to make Play-offs.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Relax billy!   If you like your team, you can keep your team.

If you like your OF you can keep your OF.

Sounds like you're the only one wanting to change that.  Nobody wants your hope or change!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

It's still so bizarre to think about the Red Sox winning not just one, but three World Series titles in my lifetime.

My first memories of a Boston team winning a title was the 1970 Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. I was too young to remember the Celtics winning with Russell.

So from 1970 through 2000 -- three decades -- Boston teams won seven titles: Celtics 5, Bruins 2, Red Sox 0, Patriots 0. And four of the seven came from 1970 to 1976.

And overall, they were 5-11 in championship series/Super Bowl: Bruins 2-5, Celtics 5-2, Red Sox 0-2, Patriots 0-2.

After the Celtics won in 1986, Boston teams won ZERO titles over the next 14 years and were 0-5 playing for titles.

From 2001 to present, Boston teams have won eight titles: Red Sox 3, Patriots 3, Celtics 1, Bruins 1. And overall, they are 8-4 in championship series/Super Bowl: Red Sox 3-0, Patriots 3-2, Bruins 1-1, Celtics 1-1.

Thank you for some great stats going back to the 70s. I am a Septuagenarian so I go back farther. I will agree with a few posters that 2004 was the best sports performance by a Boston team in history and I, of little faith based on some past disasters which I will mention, still felt what a shame it would be to lose the 7th game in NY and was still nervous until Damon hit the slam.

We came close to # 18 with Celtics losing to LA in 2010 and then the 2 SB loses to the hated NY Giants or your stats would have been even better.  But, in short, Boston is a great sports town & I say this living in SF.

Having been born in Portland as opposed to states where there are multiple teams within 100 miles or so, I would assume that at least 95% of sports fans were Boston teams fans. As a pre-teen and teen ager, if the Sox lost I'd not be able to sleep and was miserable for days. Now, of course, with family, retirement. illnesses, expenses, the Boston teams winning and losing is not as life and death as it was. My father never had the chance to see the Sox win a World Series as I did in 2004 and 2007. But he, as I, suffered in 1946, 4-3 loss to Cards, 1967, 4-3 loss again to Cards, 1975, 4-3 loss to Reds & 1986 with the Billy Buckner bobble, 4-3 loss to the Mets. Then there were the playoffs to the hated Yankees in 1978 with Bucky Dents' homer and then in 2003 , Araon Boone's walkoff from Wakefield.

Of course, no joy can surpass the 0-3 comeback in 2004 and against the hated Yankees. But I remember too other great moments like Dave Henderson's HR vs Angels in 1986 that helped Sox get into the World Series.  But maybe the most favorable memorable game was # 6 in 1975 when Bernie Carbo hit a pinch hit 3 run homer to tie and Carlton Fisk's dramatic walk off in the 12 inning vs Reds.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE]

And overall, they were 7-11 in championship series/Super Bowl: Bruins 2-5, Celtics 5-2, Red Sox 0-2, Patriots 0-2.

[/QUOTE]

Nice post, Jim  ...  I know the devestating feelings of the iconic losses wseren't nice, but the post is a great overview.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

And overall, they were 5-11 in championship series/Super Bowl: Bruins 2-5, Celtics 5-2, Red Sox 0-2, Patriots 0-2.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for some great stats going back to the 70s. I am a Septuagenarian so I go back farther. I will agree with a few posters that 2004 was the best sports performance by a Boston team in history and I, of little faith based on some past disasters which I will mention, still felt what a shame it would be to lose the 7th game in NY and was still nervous until Damon hit the slam.

We came close to # 18 with Celtics losing to LA in 2010 and then the 2 SB loses to the hated NY Giants or your stats would have been even better.  But, in short, Boston is a great sports town & I say this living in SF.

Having been born in Portland as opposed to states where there are multiple teams within 100 miles or so, I would assume that at least 95% of sports fans were Boston teams fans. As a pre-teen and teen ager, if the Sox lost I'd not be able to sleep and was miserable for days. Now, of course, with family, retirement. illnesses, expenses, the Boston teams winning and losing is not as life and death as it was. My father never had the chance to see the Sox win a World Series as I did in 2004 and 2007. But he, as I, suffered in 1946, 4-3 loss to Cards, 1967, 4-3 loss again to Cards, 1975, 4-3 loss to Reds & 1986 with the Billy Buckner bobble, 4-3 loss to the Mets. Then there were the playoffs to the hated Yankees in 1978 with Bucky Dents' homer and then in 2003 , Araon Boone's walkoff from Wakefield.

Of course, no joy can surpass the 0-3 comeback in 2004 and against the hated Yankees. But I remember too other great moments like Dave Henderson's HR vs Angels in 1986 that helped Sox get into the World Series.  But maybe the most favorable memorable game was # 6 in 1975 when Bernie Carbo hit a pinch hit 3 run homer to tie and Carlton Fisk's dramatic walk off in the 12 inning vs Reds.

[/QUOTE]

The agony of defeat, to borrow from ABC sports early on ... was surely a part of the past.  The victory of the 04 Sox  was doubly delicious with the comeback v the Bombers ND THEN THE WS CROWN ... woohoo!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I wish the Red Sox had faced the Astros (with Clemens and Pettite) in the World Series in 2004.  Anyway, does anyone know where the 2004 World Series ball is (does Doug still have it or did he give it back to the Red Sox)?  I know the 2007 World Series ball is in Papelbon's dog's stomach.  LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post, Jim  ...  I know the devestating feelings of the iconic losses wseren't nice, but the post is a great overview.

[/QUOTE]

Jim??????? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim??????? 

[/QUOTE]

Did I say Jim?  I apologize.  :o)   No offense, I hope. 

Still in FL tho, right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i easily sold my soul to the devil for that 2004 championship.  the other 2 have been bonuses.  nothing will ever EVER  evah be like the feeling we had in 2004. 

but watching those men celebrate victories in October will never get old.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

11:40 PM on 10/17/04 was a truly surreal moment.  In the hours leading up to that moment, I was at a bar in Brooklyn, drinking and going wild with a room full of Sox fans.  But, when the end approached, and the outcome clear, it was like everything went silent.  I had to leave the bar of Sox fans becuase I was going through this strangely instense private and personal moment.  My whole life, my childhood, my relationship with diehard Sox fan father, my moving away from Worcester all existed in the context of the curse.  For some reason, I needed to just go home and watch by myself in my aprtment and call my dad.  What could have been more awesome than going nuts with a hundred sox fans.  But I needed to be alone and cry.  hahaa.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

11:40 PM on 10/17/04 was a truly surreal moment.  In the hours leading up to that moment, I was at a bar in Brooklyn, drinking and going wild with a room full of Sox fans.  But, when the end approached, and the outcome clear, it was like everything went silent.  I had to leave the bar of Sox fans becuase I was going through this strangely instense private and personal moment.  My whole life, my childhood, my relationship with diehard Sox fan father, my moving away from Worcester all existed in the context of the curse.  For some reason, I needed to just go home and watch by myself in my aprtment and call my dad.  What could have been more awesome than going nuts with a hundred sox fans.  But I needed to be alone and cry.  hahaa.  

[/QUOTE]CONCUR ....... It was a surreal time for sure !!

[/QUOTE]

But what do you think about Clay Buchholz' health?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim??????? 

[/QUOTE]

Did I say Jim?  I apologize.  :o)   No offense, I hope. 

Still in FL tho, right?

[/QUOTE]

OK ... I'll just say you were paying homage to my father. His middle name was James. Innocent

And yeah, sunny Florida, although I would like to move back to New England some day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]CONCUR ....... It was a surreal time for sure !!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Since you asked........ Im concerned, VERY CONCERNED !!

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i would say that every single baseball first diehard Sox fan shed a tear or three  that night.  a tear of joy, exhaustion, or simply disbelief that we finally....FINALLY....did it.  it was truly an amazing moment in time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE] the culmination of an elaborate gov't plot WinkLaughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No WC has ever excited me as much as that one in 2004. Not only winning the WS, but also the ride that got us there. Hell, coming back 0-3 against the Yank-ems was the greatest event in the history of Red Sox baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

Will always be the top sports highlight of my life. Remember being down 0-3 to Yanks and so dissapointed w/ how the season was going to end following all the hype [Schilling / Foulke acquisitions]. Was at my sons HS football game in CT [Southern where its mostly Yankee fans probably 70-30] they were giving scores of game w/ Yanks leading and about to close it out. Then for some reason no more updates and could tell Yankee fans were suddenly very quiet, most knew I was a big RS fan and had been riding me all night. Needless to say got home in time to see Papi win it, and the rest is history. Needles to say the next Fri night football game most Yankee fans were hiding from me. Good Times! Guess you will always remeber where you were for certain events.

Sections
Shortcuts