October 17, 2004, 11:40 pm, St. Louis ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: October 17, 2004, 11:40 pm, St. Louis ...

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

11:40 PM on 10/17/04 was a truly surreal moment.  In the hours leading up to that moment, I was at a bar in Brooklyn, drinking and going wild with a room full of Sox fans.  But, when the end approached, and the outcome clear, it was like everything went silent.  I had to leave the bar of Sox fans becuase I was going through this strangely instense private and personal moment.  My whole life, my childhood, my relationship with diehard Sox fan father, my moving away from Worcester all existed in the context of the curse.  For some reason, I needed to just go home and watch by myself in my aprtment and call my dad.  What could have been more awesome than going nuts with a hundred sox fans.  But I needed to be alone and cry.  hahaa.  

[/QUOTE]

Sweet recall, Spaceman.  I didn't have a soul here that was a Sox fan, that made it known.  But after the '04 season, there were Sox fans that were now willing to proclaim that.  I did know some Sox fans, but - ih - they happened to be someone elses' wives.  I had a great time m essing with EE fans and Philly fans but after the WS crown, I guess some other long suffering fans felt they could come out.

Now there is a solid pocket of Sox fans.  I know some might call 'em pink.  I call 'em liberated!

Some of the more fun moments:   (not in chronological order) 

- Young woman hollers at me that the Sox S ck!   I stop for some banter ... but her friend, who is the driver, hollers, "Yeah, but we are WS champs!"   The 20 yards between us breaks into laughter and on going yakking.  They were best friends and went at it all the time.

(I walk to work - and everywhere else - and have my Sox backpack easily announcing my loyalties.)

- Nam Vet comes in, fresh from hunting, smells of the hunt, sees my hat and smiles, saying, "The Good Guys finally won!"  ... As he walked by he stopped and said, "I don't even like baseball, but I hate those GD Yanquis and I hate the Phillies even more!"

- The Hot Stove Season when the Yanquis sign CC, Tex etc., the legion of their fans are nearly delirious, making my daily routine a noisy but fun.  I gave them all a printed slip of the moment's argument ... 460 million v less than 10 million.  I made a small comparison of buying a $1 breakfast sandwich at McD's as a base line ....   If a Sox paid $1 for their sandwich, the Yanqui fan would pay $46 for the same sandwich.  (Doing this from memory, so there are some minor slip ups in numbers,)  That was fun enough, BUT AFTER THAT THE MANAGER COMPLAINED THAT I WAS HARRASSING THE NYY FANS!   LOL   About 25 - 30 to one and I was harrassing them!  :o)

I know, Jete, NH Steven,  Zac, et al, that your guys won that year but that's just ...

-  19-0 .... or 0-19 ... and down 3 games to egg, every Yanqui fan I know was making it their business to get in touch with me all of a sudden.   Funny, they weren't even talking to me in a week ... Two even got nasty Boston tattoos after that.  ....

- Late September, 2004, I (wife and I) was sending my older son (and his untrained mates) off to basic training, from Buffalo, NY, where his unit was based.  Eric introduces me to this REALLY young blond kid and says he's a Sox fan.  (If you know the All-American City of Buffalo, they HATE everything New England ... Sox, Pats, Bruins ....) He looks scared to death. But we sit together for a few minutes before the unit loads onto the plain to Ft. Jackson.  I told him to keep the faith!  This was our year.  BY THE TIME THEY FINISH BASIC, the scared little boy is both equipped to stand toe-to-toe with his unit mates AND A WORLD SERIES CHAMPION FAN.   

Good news, long term - any unit members that went to Iraq with my son came back alive.   I could write about that for ever.  But this is a Sox site.  Suffice to say, whatever the politics, my son was committed to safety of his mates and completion of the mission.  He was perfect in the first part, in both tours.    He was highly honored for the mission in the first tour, but there wasn't much of mission in the 2nd tour. 

- Just this last February, last year, in SoCal to see the older son, and ran into waves of Sox fans.  (My offical Red Sox jacket all the way from Philly to SF and back as my clear flag.)  On Fisherman's Pier to Pier 39, from the tour bus, from the airport check point to the Lonesome pine on Pebble Beach - Happy Sox fans and Happy Anti-Sox fans.  

I'll shut up now...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

How sweet it was!   The impossible became possible!

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

Repeat?  Another impossible year following the one we now celebrate?

J

[/QUOTE] the culmination of an elaborate gov't plot WinkLaughing

[/QUOTE]

Then they finally got something right in Washington!  The first time since the Ike and the Interstate system.  :o)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazamoni. Show gazamoni's posts

October 27, 2004

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazamoni. Show gazamoni's posts

Actually October 27, 2004

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazamoni. Show gazamoni's posts

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to gazamoni's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Curse is broken ....

Now, after three crowns,

what do you think?

J

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for catching the typo.

I never looked back to check.   Typical.  :o)

I got the time down to the minute and never checked the date!!!!