October 18 2007

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

October 18 2007

With the Red Sox facing elimination Josh Beckett took the hill in Cleveland knowing he had to pitch a gem if the Red Sox' season was to continue. Not only that, but the Indians had flown in Beckett's ex girlfriend to sing the national anthem for the game. Beckett reached down and pitched an 8 inning gem, striking out 7 and giving up only 1 run. Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz paced the Boston offense. I for one, remember having a very good feeling when Beckett took the hill that night. I miss those days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: October 18 2007

In Response to Re: October 18 2007:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: October 18 2007 : Thanks man. You should start another thread.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize I doubled up on appreciation in that first part ... ha!

But it IS appropriate.  SO many good memories, so many monkies thrown from our backs ... and all the while, a terrific run for a decade or more.

Just cuz things are tough now in no way means we should be glad for the great times in the past.

GO SOX!!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Beckett would still be a hero here if he would have owned up to his poor behavior last season and stop all about my 18 days are mine attitude.  Now people see him as a pompous a ss, so they boo him.  It's all Becketts own doing with a little help from the media.   As my dad would say you made your own bed now you have to lay in it.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett would still be a hero here if he would have owned up to his poor behavior last season and stop all about my 18 days are mine attitude.  Now people see him as a pompous a ss, so they boo him.  It's all Becketts own doing with a little help from the media.   As my dad would say you made your own bed now you have to lay in it.    
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

but Beckett wants it this way

I remember in the 2003 playoffs the announcers were talking about how he was a cocky jerk....I ingored it at the time because I enjoyed watching him dismantle the yankee line up.....In the off season of 2006-2007 he was on a special mission - he worked very hard and developed a 2 seamer and changed his approach.  He accomplished his goal and now he's just playing things through.....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've been thinking this the past couple days.  If everything they say about Beckett is true, about caring and all that.....then he must have some type of physical limitation.  Maybe his body just canno't handle a full season any more, this would explain being out of shape and back problems.

Problem is, being Lazy and Bum explains his performance as well.  Maybe you think one way maybe you think the other and I guess we can all agree to disagree.  But either way you look at it he is pretty much garbage.  If his body can't handle it then It likely NEVER will at this stage of his career.  If it is more mental than physical than that is even worse,  and we would likely see more of the same and the backlash against him from the fans and media will likely only fuel his downward spiral.

In a perfect world he would start out next season halfway decent enough to be able to dump him on another team...or in a perfect world Josh would just do the honorable thing and retire (obvious not happening with his pay check)

I'm sorry.....CORRECTION.  In a perfect world, JOSH BECKETT would be pitching much much better. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]He got what he deserved. He doesn't care about the fans or his team one ounce.  People paid a lot of money to go to the game.  Some may only be able to go once every few years. And baseball is bigger than all of us.  It needs to be played the right way.  Beckett doesn't respect the game. I don't think he got booed nearly loud enough.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew.....How do you know he doesnt care?.....because over a 8 month period he thinks he in entitled to do what he wants on the 19 days he gets off...some of which are travel days? Because on days he wasnt pitching and there was no chance he would be called on to pitch...he that a beer in the clubhouse?...or is it because the Boston Media tells you he doesnt care? Seems to me alot of his teammates are alwasy quoted backing him up.....so they think he cares.....and despite the rough starts....I dont think any fan would say Josh doesnt put out 100% when he is on the field....maybe that 100% is ineffective sometimes, but he isnt jaking it.....ala Manny did at times. It seems to be common knowledge that Josh can be cocky and arrogant....probably part of the reason he was a successful big game pitcher....also part of the reason that the Media in general doesnt like him and why Josh picks and chooses which ones he talks to(Pedro did the same thing at times).....so maybe we should take what the Media says about how much Josh cares with a grain of salt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Everything I see from him and he says tells me that all he cares about is September 30, 2014. 

He said after his last 2 starts that the fan reaction to his starts doesn't mean a thing to him.  Well, he should care.  They care.  They pay his salary.  They gave him a performance review and it wasn't good.  He should care enough about that to do something about it or to acknlowedge it and he doesn't and probably never will.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and that is my Birthday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Everything I see from him and he says tells me that all he cares about is September 30, 2014.  He said after his last 2 starts that the fan reaction to his starts doesn't mean a thing to him.  Well, he should care.  They care.  They pay his salary.  They gave him a performance review and it wasn't good.  He should care enough about that to do something about it or to acknlowedge it and he doesn't and probably never will.

agree to disagree....I dont see it.  Just because someones performance is not what is expected is not necessary relatable to whether they are busting it. As for him not caring about the fans booing....I would expect him to say that....I think Josh knows the fans have a right to boo when he underperforms and he needs to work to be able to perform better.....becuase of his team not because the fans are booing.....there is no indication that he isnt.....and as  I said, he seems to have his teams backing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I might have jumped on the Beckett bashing band wagon....but I don't buy that he doesn't care that people boo him.  I don't have much to go on here but I just have a really hard time believing that 30,000 + booing you doesn't bother you.  Plus his eyes were all red last night, I'm pretty sure he was crying before he talked to the reporters.  Unfortunately crying doesn't make you pitch better, neither does chicken and beer.....Oh I didn't, Yes I did!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He should acknowledge the fans

He could say "they are right, I need to be better"

But he doesn't - everything he does tells me he doesn't care and if he could flip us all off and get away with it he would....I am waiting for the Jack McDowell moment - I think it's coming soon!!!!!

Then you will have to concede he doesn't care; although many of you will still refuse to believe.......you'll see........eventually.....probably took a while to realize that Drew was a bust....CC was a bust.....Sox have no chance this year.......etc etc etc........that's ok, that's what I am here for!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: October 18 2007 : Wait, there was an internet back then?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

A young Al Gore was still tinkering with it down in his moms basement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Al Gore invented the Internet when he was 5 years old.

Al Gore invented the Internet when he was 5 years old.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

5 years ago, Beckett was the stopper. Sad to see him turn into a punching bag for fans and media alike.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: October 18 2007 : Are you sure you're not a Phillies fan? Josh Beckett was primarily responsible for 50% of the championships the Red Sox have in the last century. I also think Beckett is a team guy, otherwise he wouldn't be in David Ortiz' clubhouse. Anyway, we might need to agree to disagree on this one Central.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

When Beckett leaves his final game at Fenway Park I will be cheering him for all he has done for this franchise. For 2007 mostly, especially, when he was THE major factor in our winning a ring.
    That, however, was then, and this is now. Right now he is one of the most egocentric selfish stubborn and incompetent players I have seen in a long time. RIGHT NOW he is hurting the club in many ways. So RIGHT NOW I would be booing him loudly too. He deserves that.