Of the 40 games remaining . . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Of the 40 games remaining . . .

. . . the Sox play--

19 more on the road (including 6 at the Dodgers and Giants) and 21 at home;

28 against teams with winning records and 12 against teams with losing records;

13 of the road games are against teams with winning records, including the last 3 at the Orioles;

40 games are actually a short schedule because the Sox lead MLB in games played to date.   

No great conclusions about the above except the obvious one:  the Sox have had a terrific 3/4 season so far, but there is a whole lot of baseball still to be played. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Of the 40 games remaining . . .

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

. . . the Sox play--

19 more on the road (including 6 at the Dodgers and Giants) and 21 at home;

28 against teams with winning records and 12 against teams with losing records;

13 of the road games are against teams with winning records, including the last 3 at the Orioles;

40 games are actually a short schedule because the Sox lead MLB in games played to date.   

No great conclusions about the above except the obvious one:  the Sox have had a terrific 3/4 season so far, but there is a whole lot of baseball still to be played. 

The next six weeks should be exciting ones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They have a very good chance at 95 wins this year. Buch should be back soo. He had a great bullpen session yesterday. If they just be consistent like they have been all year, the should be ok.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Since All-Star break were hitting, .256, what has me more worried is our decline in hitting with RISP. Last night 1-9 got to do better in hitting in the Clutch. I can look at this one stat, and pretty much sums up the game. Obviously not everything, but its a good jumping off point.

Cant have sloppy plays that scored the 1st run. Discipline, and thinking wins a lot of games.

LOB not the best stat, but one I keep an eye on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

like most in here i predicted a .500 season (and i thought i was being positive) the cat that we have a real shot to win the division and reach the postseason is pretty amazing....i think we are struggling a bit with someof our veteran players and spotty pitching but nothing  HEALTHY clay couldntr turn around...

As always - 100% correct!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

By going 4-2 on the road schedule next week and by going .550 to .600 against the AL east teamn for the rest of the season would give them the EAST title!!

For now, just focus one game at a game.  They only have 40 games left.  More they wins games early, less pressure they will have to handle at the last two weeks of the season!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

The hitting is a concern, especially hitting w/risp.  Pitching has been good.  Encouraging to see Naps hitting the ball last night, not just the homer.  Lot of teams still in it, we've got to play well over the next 40 games to reach the post-season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox need to win the division.  I do not want them to play a wild card one-and-out elimination game vs. the A's, Rangers, O's or Rays.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Red Sox need to win the division.  I do not want them to play a wild card one-and-out elimination game vs. the A's, Rangers, O's or Rays.  

Yup, the one game playoff is a great incentive to win the division.

We use to see a lot of teams coast in Sept., knowing they were going to make the playoffs either way.

Nobody will settle for the wildcard, if they have a shot at  the division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, the final stretch schedule isn't going to be easy, that is for sure. I think the Sox draw the Dodgers in August and Tigers in September. 

A lot of the remaining games are against the Yankees and Orioles too, who are by no means pushovers.

A healthy Buch makes a world of difference ... for the couple of slumping hitters on the Sox ... the time is now to heat up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Rays go on a long WC trip at the end of august into september. Hiopefully we can gain a few games during that time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it's a shame we had this recent skid.  they way the Rays have been playing we could have all but run away with this. 

March i had us as a sub .500 team.  15-Aug i have us coasting to division title.

because: Pitching

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The weighted winning percentage of the teams the Sox play in their last 40 games is .513. Just looking at the Divsion foes, the Yankees opponents is .502, the Rays .507 and the Orioles have it the toughest .522, but those winning percentage difference over the last 40 game would not make a big enough difference for nay of those teasm to overcome the Sox lead....so forget all the rest what it really comes down to is head to head.....the Sox have a 6 game lead on baltimore but they play them 9 times(6 at Fenway),,,,,,they have a 8.5 game lead on NYY, and play them 10 times(6 at Fenway)....and with the 3 game lead on TB, they play them just 3 more times(in Tampa).....the winning percentage of our other opponents is .486, so we should hold our own in those games....win 12 or 13 of those 22 game against TB, Balt and NYY and the Sox would probably win the division......from thursday 9/5 to thursday 9/19 we play 13 straight games against those 3 teams...those 2 weeks will decide the division for us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

If the Sox could run this lead out to 5+ games before the interdivisional play starts I'd be more comfortable with it. 

The great thing about this for the Sox is that once those four teams start playing head-to-head competition two of them are going to lose every night.  If one of them doesn't go all bonkers on us and win 32 out of 40 or the Sox don't completely fall apart (defined as 12-28) we should be in good shape given the lead we have.

The encouraging fact about it is that unlike the other teams in the league the Sox haven't had an extended losing or winning streak.  They've just gone out and played every day and won ~60% of the time.  A rational person would think they can keep that up...but we're Red Sox fans and we've seen some really crappy things happen! Think positive!  Laughing 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Some pretty insightful comments on a fairly pedestrian OP.  Thanks, gang. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox are 36-32 against teams over .500 and outscored them 293 to 275. 

Sox are 36-18 against below .500 teams and outscored them 319 to 233.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Sox are 36-32 against teams over .500 and outscored them 293 to 275.

Sox are 36-18 against below .500 teams and outscored them 319 to 233.

Based on this as a very rough projection, the Sox would win 15 games of the 28 against teams over .500, and 8 of the 12 games against teams under .500 . That would give them 95 wins on the season, which I think is very reasonable.

That said, while I like our chances, nothing is guaranteed. The Sox need to focus on one game at a time, and not get ahead of themselves or take anything for granted.