Off-day Ode to James Arness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Off-day Ode to James Arness

In Response to Re: Off-day Ode to James Arness:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off-day Ode to James Arness : That Steiger clip was great, Roy . He owned that spot. This is one of the most intense scenes ever filmed, IMO. A kid wanting to live - a blind man wanting to die - finding common ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rCyYbcR5to&feature=related This justifies the decision: (from 50 second mark) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4p9BQ3V9o
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you put in the second link because that scene at the end of the Scent of a Women where Pacino makes that speech is one of my favorite movie scenes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That Pacino flic was mis-titled IMO.
    His best work.

On Brando, I don't think there's any doubt as to how impactual he was.
    In the purest of form, he may stand alone among his peers.
    But it's a matter of taste.

Many think opera is the epitome of music, but to me it's a bore.
    Not saying Brando was boring, but sometimes it felt like watching neurosis unfold on screen. When you consider his flops - as opposed to his gems - it was a two-sided coin. I understand why he felt about the industry as he did, but to me, the entire body of one's work is what is the ultimate barometer.

That's why I prefer Bogart/Tracy/Cagney/Garfield/Lancaster/etc.
    Walter Brennen was peerless as a character actor. Closets might be Warren Oates.

The most compeling actor I ever saw in a tv series was David Janssen in THE FUGITIVE. The viewer knew he was gonna get away at the episode's end, yet it was alluring all the while. That was a great series. That, Route 66 and Gunsmoke were my personal favorites. Just gutty, well written, realistic dramas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

sorry max, you're correct; it was howard hawks. also want to apologize to john ford.
    i still stand on my original statement though; the ending in RED RIVER was contrived and ruined the whole movie.
    best ending in a western: SHANE. he died in the saddle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Off-day Ode to James Arness:
    [QUOTE]That Pacino flic was mis-titled IMO. His best work. On Brando, I don't think there's any doubt as to how impactual he was. In the purest of form, he may stand alone among his peers. But it's a matter of taste. Many think opera is the epitome of music, but to me it's a bore. Not saying Brando was boring, but sometimes it felt like watching neurosis unfold on screen. When you consider his flops - as opposed to his gems - it was a two-sided coin. I understand why he felt about the industry as he did, but to me, the entire body of one's work is what is the ultimate barometer. That's why I prefer Bogart/Tracy/Cagney/Garfield/Lancaster/etc. Walter Brennen was peerless as a character actor. Closets might be Warren Oates. The most compeling actor I ever saw in a tv series was David Janssen in THE FUGITIVE. The viewer knew he was gonna get away at the episode's end, yet it was alluring all the while. That was a great series. That, Route 66 and Gunsmoke were my personal favorites. Just gutty, well written, realistic dramas.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Agree (bold).

Characters actors — loved Walter Brennan. One of the great things about Classic Hollywood is the character actors -- Brenna, Ward Bond, Sydney Greenstreet, Charles Coburn, Victor McLaughlin (bar fight in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon was hilarious), Eugene Pallette, Peter Lorre, James Gleason, Jack Carson -- I'm sure there's a bunch more I'm missig.

I was too young when Route 66 was on and never remember seeing it shown on reruns.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

imo, the best thing about ROUTE 66 was the theme music by NELSON RIDDLE.
    actually, it was a one-hour commercial for the CHEVY CORVETTE.
    although it was supposedly based on the JACK KEROUAC book ON THE ROAD, it wasn't even close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh, I definitely disagree on the RT. 66 series. It was one of the most unique television series ever. First of all, everything was shot on locale, and seeing the country back 50 years ago is a real trip.

The Corvette shots were usually limited to the beginning/end sequence, with occasional intervals.

The real star of the show was the writing and the genre. You've got such a wealth of material with two guys searching for life's meaning. One a Harvard boy disillusioned by his dad's passing and life's hypocrisy.
    The other a street-wise orphan played to the hilt by Maharis.

The guest stars were established actors that brought their own dimension. Actors like Mickey Rooney, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Robby Duvall, James Caan, David Jannsen, Walter Matthau, Buster Keaton, Lee Marvin, Darren McGavin, Robert Redford, Martin Sheen, Rod Steiger, William Shattner...

This is arguably the best show post live-TV.

To Roy: The show aired on A&E in the early 90's. I have purchased many TV series unavailable in most venues through www.sell.com(type in Movies or TV series under search). This one was a must. I got a pretty good idea as to UR taste and this is one series you should see in UR lifetime. It's addictive as hell!

If you ever decide to purchase the DVD's to this or many other series, you'll find some great prices here. The quality of the sets are decent overall. You can buy the first two seasons of the RT 66 series in many stores, but it's a bit pricey.
    IMO, it's well worth it, as the picture quality is much better with this particular show.
    I made a birthday gift of the series to a very good friend. Man, did he love it.

Here's a teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P79hYun3JYk
    I'm willing to bet if you ever see Rt. 66 and THE FUGITIVE, you'll agree that they are probably the two best and most unique TV series covering the last 50 years.