1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Off season planning.?

There is little chemistry from the ownership down to the field level. Rat in the clubhouse, angry press, fragile players, under performers , egos that Fenway Park can't contain.....everything you need to tell the fan base.... WE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU. This off season, every level of this organization, every employee needs to look in the mirror and do two things: 1. Admit their own role in giving the fan base an expensive junk product 2. Ask themselves... Am I doing this for the fans first, or am I priority one? As a Sox fan since 1966, this team, this year, the press make me yearn for football season. Never before have I felt like this. Boston has the market cornered on poison pens and self anointed gods of the Fens. The sports pages are better used to train puppies, the players might as well call off the rest of the season and go seek more lucrative endorsements, oh and don't forget your media events. I am watching the 1967 WS DVD, when guys played for pride and that extra needed cash. The 2012 season is heading below the waves, .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Off season planning.?

In Response to Off season planning.?:
    [QUOTE]There is little chemistry from the ownership down to the field level. Rat in the clubhouse, angry press, fragile players, under performers , egos that Fenway Park can't contain.....everything you need to tell the fan base.... WE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU. This off season, every level of this organization, every employee needs to look in the mirror and do two things: 1. Admit their own role in giving the fan base an expensive junk product 2. Ask themselves... Am I doing this for the fans first, or am I priority one? As a Sox fan since 1966, this team, this year, the press make me yearn for football season. Never before have I felt like this. Boston has the market cornered on poison pens and self anointed gods of the Fens. The sports pages are better used to train puppies, the players might as well call off the rest of the season and go seek more lucrative endorsements, oh and don't forget your media events. I am watching the 1967 WS DVD, when guys played for pride and that extra needed cash. The 2012 season is heading below the waves, .
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]

Hey Lefty,

Cleary something is amiss...unfortunately there are far too many symtoms to diagnose what is truly ailing this team.

/>lack of leadership on and off the field
    />changes in management / coaching /phylosophies?
    />Injuries/physical fitness?
    />under performance of key personnel
    />contract issues of key personnel
    />chirping in the press; speaks to a lack of team cohesion and identity...

Suffice to say that each of the above have played a role in the demise of the team. Given the current state of the team. Finding solutions to all of the above falls at the feet of the ownership group led by John Henry and Larry Luccino. So in the interest of moving forward...The questions, begin and end with who's the guy that's responsible for leading the baseball operations team in the future. If that's Luccino then the next question becomes "what's the plan", Larry?

From where I sit what made this group successful after buying the team was that they surrounded themselves with highly motivated like thinking professionals and built what was the envy of many in the game. So if the goal is to continue too strive to field a championship quality team. In my mind is starts with everyone buying into the teams phylosophy and then aquiring coaches & players who fit the profile.

Here's where I think the Sox erred...

In 2002 when Henry bought the club, they had a pretty good nucleaus on the major league roster from which to build around and a few top end prospects in the system, but by and large the farm's depth was barren.

Begining in 2003. The key phlosophical changes aside from embracing the new age tools of the modern game ("moneyball"/sabre metric). Was the organizational shift in the value of pitching. Almost as important was fielding a team with professitional hitters 1-9 with balance of lefthanded and righthanded hitter. thereafter it was hiring of coaches that embraced the modern game who could then utelize the players on the roster to maximise thier value...Enter Terry Francona and John Farrel.

From 2003 to 2007 no one can or would argue with the successes of the team. Although there were warning signs of a discord between Epstein (the pupil) and Luccino (the mentor). After much was written and said, it appeared that the organizational chart had worked itself out. Epstein was anointed the VP of baseball operations. While Larry took a back seat and spent most of his time on big picture issues like the refurbishment of the park, the marketing of the club and all things non-baseball related...While continuing to serve as Henry's primary consultant regarding all things baseball...Therein lyes the underlying riff that continued until the day Epstein chose to move on. Although we won another tittle in 2007 and fell 1 game short of another WS appearance in 2008. Looking back, given the subsequent curious roster moves and free agent signings, not sure that all parties had the best interest of team at heart. Make no mistake about it. The dymanic's at play in the front office impact the product on the field and the relantionship between the GM and the Field Manager is a key componant of top down communication...

To that end if I were Henry, my first order of business would be to meet with Luccino & Werner and have a frank conversation about each of thier respective roles and the importance of having one voice as an organization. Create a plan, work the plan, live the mission! 

As part of the organization manpower review heading into this offseason; to me the key players in the baseball operation department are...

Larry Luccino; if indeed he's the man behind the curtian. Then he needs to step out front and be accountable! Transparancy of his role is key to empowering his subbordinates and for we the fans to gain an understanding of who's in charge!

Ben Cherington; after now having a year to evaluate his performance. Has he performed his duties to expectations and is he the right man for the job moving forward. One that Luccino supports...If the answer is yes, then clearly define his role and let him do his job!

Field Mangement; Is Bobby Valentine part of the problem or part of the solution? Do they (Luccino and Cherinton) both support his being the manager of the team and does he and and his coaching staff live the teams culture and are they individually and collectively able to function as the leadership of this team! if they're not then Larry and Ben both need to make the changes nessasary...

End of the day, there either all on board and reach consensus on how they each will perfrom the functions of thier jobs and support the other. Which is an essential part in righting was appears to be a rutterless ship or print thier resumes and go find work elsewhere. Time for all of them to be accountable and like the players they need to plug the hole in the walls and stop chirping in the press....

The Players and the Roster...end of the day everyone has role on the team and it is incumbent on them to show up everyday ready to do thier part. Those that aren't accountable or have chosen not to be part of the solution all need to be moved even if that means they're simply cut.

/>Jon Lester and Josh Beckett what's the deal boy's? Perhaps instead of playing golf on your days off you might want to actually work on your game.

/>David Ortiz quit chirping about your contract...It's gettin old!

/>Dustin Pedrioa quit chirping period! your starting to sound like a spoiled brat!

/>Carl Crawford we all get that you're uncomfortable in a Sox uniform! Suck it up and play ball! 2 stolen bases in 13 games in July?

/>Ellsbury...I get that you've got one foot out the door, come on man, 3 stolen bases in 17 games in July

To the rest of players on the squad just wanted to remind each of you that there's a million kids playing the game right now that would love to be in your shoes.