Off Season Spoiler II: Rotten to the Core!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Off Season Spoiler II: Rotten to the Core!

Here is what will play out:

The Red Sox trade LRHP Franklin Morales to San Diego for C Nick Hundley.   There have been very few rumors surrounding Hundley, probably because he is not exactly the most exciting name in MLB.  But the truth is, he is available, and I say that confidently with absolutely no insider knowledge whatsoever and without having seen him mentioned in a single blurb..  He makes $4mill this year with an option for $5mill next year.  Given the presence of Yasmani Grandal and the emergence of Austin Hedges, that is too much money for a backup catcher.  Even the Red Sox do not pay $4mill for a backup catcher.  Hundley has the defensive ability to start, but is not exactly known for his offense.  This is unlikely to change.  But hey, he bats ninth and won’t cost a prospect the Sox will have to worry about missing.  The Padres actually have no left-handed relief pitchers on their roster right now unless Robbie Erlin moves into the role, but he seems to be regarded a little more highly.  The acquisition of Burke Badenhop pretty much fills out the Sox bullpen barring future deals.  As they are unlikely to move a SP until they know the status of all 6, Morales becomes all the more expendable.   The Angels are another team with a surplus of catching and no left-handed reliever, unless  you count the surgically-repaired Sean Burnett.   A deal of Morales for Chris Iannetta (2 yrs / ~$10.5mill) does seem less likely to me, but I do prefer him over Hundley.  Iannetta has been linked to Toronto earlier this off-season, but no actual demands were made public and his availability was not confirmed, and I am less confident in his being available than I am about Hundley.

The Red Sox will sign 2 free agents.  The first will be Willie Bloomquist. Please calm down.  He will be signed for his versatility and pinch-running ability.  He has extensive experience at 3B, SS and OF, coincidentally where all the Sox younger players are scheduled to play.  Arguments that Free Agent X or Free Agent Y are better players than Bloomquist are very likely to have some merit; Bloomquist is not the most talented fellow.  But his skillset and experience coincide a little too much with the Sox roster question marks to ignore the fit.  Juan Uribe was another good possibility for other reasons, but he will likely command more cash.  Personally, I like Rule 5 pickup Cole Figueroa for this role, but that admittedly is a stretch.  Bloomquist is the man.  Time to face the facts.

The second free agent will be Mark Reynolds.  Again – calm down.  As unimpressive as these names are, how many said the same thing last February?  Reynolds is a high-strikeout, high walk, high power “Three True Outcome” kind of guy no one likes.  But he will be cheap.  Corey Hart is another good possibility, but, really, what do people expect from Hart?  Victor Martinez missed a season and then did not start really hitting until the following August.  Do people expect Hart, a lesser hitter than Martinez and by a lot, to step right in and start hitting?  A one year deal for Hart could easily result in a lost season.  I know - everyne hates Reynolds.  But really, he is a llot like Napoli, but without that lofty .250-.270BA, and, well everything else.  But if you like strikeouts, waks and the occasional home run, REynilds is certainly one of several guys who can do that.  I could see the far-more-lovable Jeff Baker as a signing, but 1) the Sox need fewer platoons, not more.  And 2) there is a certain PR white flag stigma when your biggest FA acquisitions are Jeff Baker and Willie Bloomquist.

So there you have it:

SP: Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront (5)

BP: Uehara, Tazawa, Badenhop, Miller, Workman, Breslow, and Dempster (7)

C: Hundley, Ross (2)

INF: Reynolds (1B), Pedroia (2B), Middlebrooks (3B), Bogaerts (SS), Bloomquist (UIF), Ortiz (DH) (6)

OF: Nava, Gomes, Bradley, Victornio, Carp (5)

The Sox also might bring in a RP with some options left in the event that Dempster moves to the rotation, presumably to cover for an injury.  They could use Allen Webster in a bullpen role, as well.

There you go.  Mystery solved.  And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Off Season Spoiler II: Rotten to the Core!

Another fine post by one of the forum's most respected contributors. Don't take it personally if I ever question one of your proposals.

I would note that Franklin Morales remains under team control for only one more season at an estimated arbitration salary of $1.8 million, so the Padres would be saving money on the swap of Nick Hundley, who will earn $4 million in 2014 with no buyout on the 2015 option.

Two of your three targets -- Nick Hundley and Willie Bloomquist -- came out of the high school ranks in the Seattle area. The Mariners should probably pursue Hundley as a mentor for Mike Zunino.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

You really do think these scenerios out extremely well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we get closer to the luxury limit than this proposal brings us, but I could see us doing these moves plus one big signing or trade.

Replacing 4 big names with these guys alone is not good PR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Have always liked Hundley, and Fenway would be good for him, at least 10-12 homers at home. He's better than Salty, so that's an upgrade, and he dosn't need any on the job training. Do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Good stuff, I like your thinking. Ben, did things like this last year. The smart GM's today keep their Prospects, plus their Picks.

A Trade is just as good as a signing, if it doesn't effect, the Minors, unless the Minor Leaguer is not in Teams plans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I like the post too. Always entertaining.

Two changes to your plan:

I think the infield will be 

C - Salty/Ross  1st - Naps  2nd - Pedey  SS - Bogy  3rd - Middy

Outfield:

RF - Victorino   CF - JBJ  LF Nava/Gomes

I think the Sox will get younger with JBJ, Bogy, and Middy all getting a chance.

If there is a big trade, it will be to upgrade our 4th or 5th pitching slot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There's one problem with your plan, notin - it leaves us with too much money left over.  I'm serious.

The Red Sox modus operandi, as I discern it, is to spend pretty close to the luxury tax threshold.

There's a PR aspect to that, too, I believe...especially after they raised ticket prices again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Good thoughts. I haven't seen Hundley play so could be a good choice. Don't like his avg or OBP. IMO Iannetta would be my choice, hits for same avg. but his OBP in about 50-60 pt's higher than Hundleys, something we know RS value Highly. Both are the same age even though it seems Iannetta's been around longer. Both are good defensively. Iannetta signed for 2 yrs which is exactly what RS are looking for.
    As for Reynolds a huge NO for me, way to hot and cold and way too many K's. I would like to see Brock Holt given a chance to fill backup infield spot. Bloomquist very versatile can play almost anywhere wouldn't be a bad sign.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ok, for the record, this is not my plan.  This is my prediction.

I would never plan anything with Mark Reynolds.  I don't even ude Reynolds Wrap because of him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

There's one problem with your plan, notin - it leaves us with too much money left over.  I'm serious.

The Red Sox modus operandi, as I discern it, is to spend pretty close to the luxury tax threshold.

There's a PR aspect to that, too, I believe...especially after they raised ticket prices again.

This is a sadly valid point.  Be prepared for a positive spin on Dan Uggla's acquisition 

to put smiles on all our faces!

(This is not a plan or a prediction.  It is a punchline.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Excellent post.  Reynolds could be a strong bounceback candidate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Reynolds has excellent numbers at Fenway, which is no surprise - 881 OPS, 7 HR and 23 RBI in 28 games.  With his ability to jerk the ball, he and the Monster are a match made in heaven. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would sign Carlos Pena to minor league deal along with Reynold if Reynold is the guy Ben is looking at.  Pena strikes out tons but walks tons also.  He's 36 next year and if he can prove he still has gas left in the tank, he could be a bargain signing for a LHB platoon.  Pena could give breaks for Ortiz if he needs to rest.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

stop making sense Notin!  we do not like it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I like the logic to this Notin, but Im with Hfx. They will spend at least 170M, probably more. Im guessing they leave 10ishM for something during the season, or trade an arm like Peavy or Lackey. Dempster is versitile in that he is a solid BOTR guy you can rely on (30+ starts 180+IP), or you can throw him in the pen where he has experience. I think Workman could slide in if necessary. There comes a point when they have to let some of the kids play. Workman at the back of the rotation or as the #6 should be fine.

I like Ianetta and hes only owed 10.5M over the next 2 years. Hes worth that, IMO, and its exactly what we need. Question is, what would it take to get him for LAA? What are their needs?

Hart was younger than Vic when he had his knee issues. Plus Vic, while not only being older, probably had much more wear and tear on his knees from catching. I wouldnt have an issue with Hart on a 1yr make good deal with incentives. He has said he feels great (yeah, I know), but should be fully cleared to start baseball workouts on 12/2.

No problem with Bloomquist.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The Red Sox trade LRHP Franklin Morales to San Diego for C Nick Hundley.   There have been very few rumors surrounding Hundley, probably because he is not exactly the most exciting name in MLB.  But the truth is, he is available, and I say that confidently with absolutely no insider knowledge whatsoever and without having seen him mentioned in a single blurb..  He makes $4mill this year with an option for $5mill next year.  Given the presence of Yasmani Grandal and the emergence of Austin Hedges, that is too much money for a backup catcher.  Even the Red Sox do not pay $4mill for a backup catcher.  Hundley has the defensive ability to start, but is not exactly known for his offense.  This is unlikely to change.  But hey, he bats ninth and won’t cost a prospect the Sox will have to worry about missing.  The Padres actually have no left-handed relief pitchers on their roster right now unless Robbie Erlin moves into the role, but he seems to be regarded a little more highly.  The acquisition of Burke Badenhop pretty much fills out the Sox bullpen barring future deals.  As they are unlikely to move a SP until they know the status of all 6, Morales becomes all the more expendable.   The Angels are another team with a surplus of catching and no left-handed reliever, unless  you count the surgically-repaired Sean Burnett.   A deal of Morales for Chris Iannetta (2 yrs / ~$10.5mill) does seem less likely to me, but I do prefer him over Hundley.  Iannetta has been linked to Toronto earlier this off-season, but no actual demands were made public and his availability was not confirmed, and I am less confident in his being available than I am about Hundley.

The Red Sox will sign 2 free agents.  The first will be Willie Bloomquist. Please calm down.  He will be signed for his versatility and pinch-running ability.  He has extensive experience at 3B, SS and OF, coincidentally where all the Sox younger players are scheduled to play.  Arguments that Free Agent X or Free Agent Y are better players than Bloomquist are very likely to have some merit; Bloomquist is not the most talented fellow.  But his skillset and experience coincide a little too much with the Sox roster question marks to ignore the fit.  Juan Uribe was another good possibility for other reasons, but he will likely command more cash.  Personally, I like Rule 5 pickup Cole Figueroa for this role, but that admittedly is a stretch.  Bloomquist is the man.  Time to face the facts.

The second free agent will be Mark Reynolds.  Again – calm down.  As unimpressive as these names are, how many said the same thing last February?  Reynolds is a high-strikeout, high walk, high power “Three True Outcome” kind of guy no one likes.  But he will be cheap.  Corey Hart is another good possibility, but, really, what do people expect from Hart?  Victor Martinez missed a season and then did not start really hitting until the following August.  Do people expect Hart, a lesser hitter than Martinez and by a lot, to step right in and start hitting?  A one year deal for Hart could easily result in a lost season.  I know - everyne hates Reynolds.  But really, he is a llot like Napoli, but without that lofty .250-.270BA, and, well everything else.  But if you like strikeouts, waks and the occasional home run, REynilds is certainly one of several guys who can do that.  I could see the far-more-lovable Jeff Baker as a signing, but 1) the Sox need fewer platoons, not more.  And 2) there is a certain PR white flag stigma when your biggest FA acquisitions are Jeff Baker and Willie Bloomquist.

So there you have it:

INF: Reynolds (1B), Pedroia (2B), Middlebrooks (3B), Bogaerts (SS), Bloomquist (UIF), Ortiz (DH) (6)

The Sox also might bring in a RP with some options left in the event that Dempster moves to the rotation, presumably to cover for an injury.  They could use Allen Webster in a bullpen role, as well.

There you go.  Mystery solved.  And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!!

Iwill calm down and say Workman will be a starter.... Mystery solved....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Notin, from the tall grass, I'ver read your posts for years. Your opinions never cease to amaze me....logical, well-written, a-political.  Truly nice posts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

So there you have it:

Hundley is a great option. Definitely surplus in SD so they will be anxious to divest themselves of his contract. Shouldn't cost much in return and he would be a good mentor for the young guys. I believe he worked with Peavy and Latos there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

So there you have it:

I hope your prediction is wrong. That does not look like a championship team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

With no Salty, Drew or Napoli in your plan Notin, there'd be enough money for Ellsbury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

With no Salty, Drew or Napoli in your plan Notin, there'd be enough money for Ellsbury.

Again, not a plan.  Prediction.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

I think they will sign one of Napoli or Beltran. Gotta have some protection for Papi in the lineup.

Sections
Shortcuts